• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The non-Pixar animated movie HATE thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
Is this thread mostly focused on kids/family animated movies?

If not then I'll just leave this here:

FT6EE.jpg

What do folks mean by "soul"? Is it one of those intangible things like "charm"?

Wall-E, The Incredibles and Ratatouille have layers upon layers of love and texture put into them.

Story? definitely. Animation style? I can't see it.

You know that thread comparing old simpsons and new simpsons? its like that. Its too clean and mechanical.

C4Lukins

I know it is hard for some of you. Pixar makes great films. But they have made a few duds, and well they need to get betterr.

An animated movie is not bad per definition because of it having many celebrities as voice-actors, just look at Ratatouille.

Prince of Egypt has

Patrick Stewart
Ralph Fiennes
Val Kilmer
Jeff Goldblum
Sandra Bullock
Michelle Pfeiffer
Danny Glover
Helen Mirren
Steve Martin
Martin Short

and is the best animated film mentioned in this thread.

You know that thread comparing old simpsons and new simpsons? its like that. Its too clean and mechanical.

I dunno. I find that most CGI movies are of a distinct style by comparison to a lot of the same studios' 2D output, which was generally the same sort of thing, over and over. Nice-looking all told, and I love 2D, but all the Pixar/Dreamworks movies at least appear to take place in distinct universes (except Monsters Vs Aliens and Megamind which look very similar iirc). Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hunchback etc, as much as I love them, look very much homogenised Disney.

It's possible I'm misunderstanding your issue with CGI, so please elaborate further if so.

Bro, what?

There is nothing mechanical about the animation in The Incredibles or Ratatouille. You are WELL MAD.

Bro, what?

There is nothing mechanical about the animation in The Incredibles. You are WELL MAD.

I love The Incredibles, but I can sort of see the issue someone might have. With CGI in general there is a disconnect with some people, sort of like how when I watch other people's TVs with that weird smoothing effect switched on it bugs the piss out of me. They can't tell the difference at all.

Xun

The whole CGI style has no soul. Disney declaring it had made its last traditionally animated film was an awful move. Pixar is great, but I really dislike the animation of it, dreamworks, and every other studio that makes CG films. Its too perfect, too groomed, and sometimes heads into weird uncanny valley territory. Not a fan.
It's your opinion of course, but as someone who is an animator and has studied these films frame-by-frame, eh?

zoukka

The storytelling is pandering and for kids in most pixar/dreamworks movies so I just focus on the animation and try to block all else.

I love The Incredibles, but I can sort of see the issue someone might have. With CGI in general there is a disconnect with some people, sort of like how when I watch other people's TVs with that weird smoothing effect switched on it bugs the piss out of me. They can't tell the difference at all.

I think I know what he's talking about. He's talking about character and animation that is too rigid. It doesn't have that same elastic flow like an old Don Bluth animation might have. But I tell you Incredibles has it. I keep thinking back to the scene between Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl where she tells him he needs to be more flexible, before leaving over the tops of buildings.

Someone still had to draw everything and design everything. This is just like people saying that CGI isn't "real" animation decades ago.

It's just a personal thing, I don't begrudge the obvious hard work that went into it. I just consider it in a different space from the Pixar/Dreamworks output, since actors were involved.

I don't mean to undermine the animators' efforts at all.

Suairyu

Banned
Pity to hear Madagascar 3 is bad. The 2nd one is actually one of my favourite animated films. Thought the first was terrible.

way more

This is actually what Pixar fans look like when they talk about those movies.

pixarfan.gif

"And then the Robot makes cute 'beep' 'boop' noises and the talking mouse realizes it's an adventure of spirit . . . and despair."

The rest of the world.

4008803739_b338ba3fb4_o.jpg

yeah, . . . the sarcastic rat. . .

JGS

Banned
I like Dreamworks movies. Madagascar has it's place in the world as a clean slapstick comedy for kids.

PIXAR is my favorite but they don't have a lock on animated movies as they don't produce enough of them to be the only good studio in town.

The good and bad stuff are all part of a mature genre.

Wiktor

To me Pixar has Disney 2D movies' blood on it's hands, so I can never fully enjoy their flicks :(
yes, I'm bitter :(

Ikael

Tangled, Rango and How to Train your Dragon are 3D family oriented animation masterpieces outside of Pixar (and I am a huge Pixar fanboy myself). But it is true that outside of these triunvirate of awesome there's a big barren desert of mediocre out there.

Icicle

Pixar was very fortunate to receive Steve Jobs' blessing as well, it seems every movie they make is loved by the masses.

I am not a big fan of the company's output, particularly in recent years. It feels like Pixar creates movies for the purpose of showing off some new technology (number of characters rendered on screen, realistic fur, water, human skin/hair etc). Out of all their films, the only ones I've truly enjoyed have been Toy Story, A Bug's Life, and Finding Nemo.

2D for lyfe!

Mistle

Pixar understands the art of storytelling, of telling it simply and truly. That's the difference for me.
This really is the key. Story is king. Pixar are masters at telling a great story.

The Lion King is still the best animation ever in every regard. Classic 90s Disney + Tangled & Princess and The Frog are just as good as Pixar imo. Dreamworks are capable of great films but they're too rare/inconsistent.

In terms of pure animation, I believe Tangled holds the throne at the moment. Classic Disney style with Glen Keane but in 3D. Love it.

Now I don't want to cause a thread derail, but The Prince of Egypt smacks The Lion King down so hard it falls into a chasm and gets trampled to death like the relative pussycat it is.

Anyone here seen this? It's very impressive and I found it to be more emotionally engaging than most Pixar films.

I've been hanging out for that film, but it's obviously not the type of American mainstream animated flicks we're talking about in the thread. Next we'll have people bringing up the Ghibli collection.

Oppo

I like how the OP lumps "all animated movies" into the CG camp.

Nice to see Persepolis and Waltz With Bashir mentioned though.

No Studio Ghibli love?

edit– Scullibundooooooooooo!

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
gee i dunno if we should be comparing pixar's latest....cars2 with some non pixar efforts...because

Rango

How to train your dragon

and Tangled come to mind

as the best three in my recent memory. Pixar is great but what have they done lately that is tops? I loved Toy Story but i liked HttyD better ultimately.

Brave does look good though.

That's an extremely crude way of describing the storyline, and I don't know why I'm going to even try to instill any wisdom since it will likely be brushed off like most other things on the internet, but here goes.

The story is about a man keeping a promise to his deceased wife and a lonely, nature-obsessed child who enters his life by way of happenstance -- a child that he and his wife never got the chance to have. They share an adventure and Carl comes to the realization that life is worth living even once the ones you loved have left you.

If you're describing this film in the rudimentary terms you said above, I'd really hate to see your viewpoint of some of the other greatest animated films of our time.

The core of Up is strong, but it's sabotaged by some overly obnoxious choices that consume half of the movie. The high-pitched talking dogs for example, they served almost no purpose with a gimmicky annoying joke on the leader that served even less of a purpose. To be funny? Sure, if you think listening to Hopper or Zurg talk through helium for no reason is funny? The Dug/Kevin/Russel dynamic had cute moments but were some mostly loud overdrawn humor. Russel's introduction and decision to help Kevin felt shoved in, literally occurring from Russel shouting "look he's in trouble, let's help him!", and so it just happens. It didn't unfold very naturally.

Also, some odd noticeable plot holes like Muntz still being alive even though he looked to be about in his late-30's when Carl was still a kid. What is he, like 110 now? The Dirigible all male dog spa/museum thing was pretty odd as well. Up shone its brightest with the Carl and Ellie moments, which were executed beautifully. Moments between Carl and Russel were also extremely well done. It's just that the tone of the movie feels wildly spastic compared to something like Toy Story, Nemo or Monsters, which weaved in and out of emotional moments and humor appropriately and naturally. Up is still pretty good, but inconsistent.

Seda

There are some Pixar films I like.

There are some Pixar films I don't like.

There are some non-Pixar films I like.

There are some non-Pixar films I don't like.

I absolutely love Pixar but non-Pixar stuff is fine as well sometimes.

How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2, Ice Age 1, Rango, I even thought a couple of the Shrek movies were good and Puss in Boots.

Oh, when I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs it was probably the most I've ever laughed watching any CG animated movie ever. That movie is great, I wasn't expecting it to be so damn hilarious.

I absolutely love Pixar but non-Pixar stuff is fine as well sometimes.

How to Train Your Dragon, Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2, Ice Age 1, Rango, I even thought a couple of the Shrek movies were good and Puss in Boots.

Oh, when I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs it was probably the most I've ever laughed watching any CG animated movie ever. That movie is great, I wasn't expecting it to be so damn hilarious.

Cloudy is the my favourite comedy of the last decade behind Hot Fuzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom