• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Manga Discussion/News Thread!! New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
upandaway said:
Hm that seems kinda weird. They can't do it because of something legal or what?
I'm sure its not because of any legal reasoning (it all falls under Jump anyway). I think its just a conscious choice for storytelling purposes. It would be kind of weird to have Bakuman's fake ranking be in constant opposition to the real rankings in the same issue. Any plotline involving one of Bakuman's fake series being #1 would require fake rankings for One Piece and Naruto. Plus it would probably be insulting for the real authors who must therefore get beaten by fake series every week in Bakuman.

Bakuman seems to be set in an alternate dimension and all the real series references are just continious breakings of the 4th wall.

upandaway

grandjedi6 said:
I'm sure its not because of any legal reasoning (it all falls under Jump anyway). I think its just a conscious choice for storytelling purposes. It would be kind of weird to have Bakuman's fake ranking be in constant opposition to the real rankings in the same issue. Any plotline involving one of Bakuman's fake series being #1 would require fake rankings for One Piece and Naruto. Plus it would probably be insulting for the real authors who must therefore get beaten by fake series every week in Bakuman.

Bakuman seems to be set in an alternate dimension and all the real series references are just continious breakings of the 4th wall.
At the bolded I guess I forgot this is Japan we're talking about. I could totally see that being the reason, you make sense.

I see no insult in that at all though.

Dresden

All caught up on Medaka Box.

Basically my holy trinity of shonen jump shit is Psyren-Nurarihyon-Medaka. And I still read One Piece and Bleach.

grandjedi6

upandaway said:
At the bolded I guess I forgot this is Japan we're talking about. I could totally see that being the reason, you make sense.

I see no insult in that at all though.
I don't see it as insulting either, but yeah... Japan.

upandaway

Dresden said:
All caught up on Medaka Box.

Basically my holy trinity of shonen jump shit is Psyren-Nurarihyon-Medaka. And I still read One Piece and Bleach.
Oh yeah I read Medaka Box a week ago and didn't write anything about it.
It was pretty insane and ridiculous and stupid and full of plot holes but that's what makes it so good, right?
Lots of "are you fucking kidding me what am I reading" moments, it's golden.

Now that I read and liked both Psyren and Medaka I guess I'll check out this Nura thing next week (never saw it mentioned before).

Dresden

upandaway said:
Oh yeah I read Medaka Box a week ago and didn't write anything about it.
It was pretty insane and ridiculous and stupid and full of plot holes but that's what makes it so good, right?
Lots of "are you fucking kidding me what am I reading" moments, it's golden.

Now that I read and liked both Psyren and Medaka I guess I'll check out this Nura thing (never saw it mentioned before).
Yeah, he really doesn't give a shit--it's ridiculous, and fun.

Nura has a slow start, so beware of that.

upandaway

Angry Grimace said:
Medaka Box is so bad it's horrible.
I love it. Purposely ridiculous things are nice every once in a while. I really really love it. Chill!

Then again I think Gerard is the best thing about Fairy Tail so maybe I'm a minority.

neoanarch

Angry Grimace said:
Medaka Box is so bad it's horrible.

Its not really as bad as people say it is. There was a long period before and after it switched to battle manga where it was pretty bad. But it was never as horrible as Reborn after the switch and the Future arc.

grandjedi6 said:
Onemanga is the 908th most-visited website on the internet according to Google and has over 4.2 million unique visitors per month. Onemanga long ago went "mainstream".

Damn. I guess Naruto is still pretty damn popular. Of course people could just be reading it for the train wreck.

cosmicblizzard said:
Damn. I guess Naruto is still pretty damn popular. Of course people could just be reading it for the train wreck.

Naruto should be popular anyway, I mean it is VIZ's bestselling manga property in the offline world as well. I also imagine that the people who read it online actually do buy it in stores too, lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
grandjedi6 said:
They showed off the in-universe rankings in chapter 50. They're all fictional series. Despite the numerous meta-references, none of those real series seem to exist in-universe as far as the rankings plot is concerned.
Those rankings make no sense. WSJ doesn't run 30 series! Must be some other kind of list.

grandjedi6

Dedication Through Light said:
Naruto should be popular anyway, I mean it is VIZ's bestselling manga property in the offline world as well. I also imagine that the people who read it online actually do buy it in stores too, lol.
I think you're overestimating the sales of Naruto and comics in general.

Angry Grimace said:
Those rankings make no sense. WSJ doesn't run 30 series! Must be some other kind of list.
I think its something like "If the series in Bakuman existed in real life, how would they be ranked?" Hence why the ranking includes multiple series from the main characters despite many of them not running anymore. Its also possible though that its just an announcement of some useless "Vote for your favorite (fake) series!" and the series are just ordered arbitrarily :lol

I still don't think real series (One Piece, Naruto, ect.) exist in-universe as far as the rankings plot goes.

Lain

Dresden said:
It turns out that My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute is exactly what I expected it to be.

http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/My-Little-Sister-Cant-Be-This-Cute/DBR+Pure-Scans/3/22

Tsun tsun dere dere~

I started reading it because it was on one of the banners of mangatoshokan and I liked the drawing style. I'm not even sure if I like it, but that drawing style is nice.

Also, does anyone else here ever starts reading some series because one of the banners on sites like mangatoshokan attracts them? I did it for Beach Stars, this one, and some others.

Dresden

Lain said:
I started reading it because it was on one of the banners of mangatoshokan and I liked the drawing style. I'm not even sure if I like it, but that drawing style is nice.

Also, does anyone else here ever starts reading some series because one of the banners on sites like mangatoshokan attracts them? I did it for Beach Stars, this one, and some others.
That's exactly why I started reading it, too. And the art style was what drew me in when after the first chapter.

He's not interested in the sister at all, though. It's more cute than disturbing.

kadotsu

Banned
Dresden said:
That's exactly why I started reading it, too. And the art style was what drew me in when after the first chapter.

He's not interested in the sister at all, though. It's more cute than disturbing.

Thanks for the rec. I needed something light after marathoning Punpun. Google tells me there will be an anime. Unfortunatly, it also told me that doujinshi artists like this series.

robox

God's Beard said:
Lirlond said:
Just finished Sanctuary, was so intense, I couldn't put it down at all, that rarely happens to me with Manga. I just couldn't believe how good it was.
It's the best manga.

for whatever reason, i remember liking strain, written by the same tag team, a bit more. maybe i read it first? or maybe because the pacing and plot line was more digestible. can't really, and never cared, to pinpoint anything; that's my feeling.

Apath

Lain said:

That's how I found Masturbation Master. It's led me to quite a few gems (and some God awful finds).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Angry Grimace said:
Crow isn't in first. We can assume One Piece is still around since Crow is always something like fourth when they show the rankings. :lol
The renewed spirit and effort of Ashirogi Muto will push Enji to make Crow #1 again. The other Manga's mentioned in this chapter will cause minor drama but overall be no real treat in the end, which will be in 3 months.

Maron

Jamesfrom818 said:
I haven't read One Piece since the flashback started and I'm up to speed now. I am so hyped to see the crew together again. The 2 page spread reunion picture should make for an awesome wallpaper.

I_have_my_CREW_by_Bankai_no_jutsu.jpg

I thought this page would've been a nice wallpaper too, but I'm positive the reunion will top it when we get there.

ryan13ts

I wonder if Oda will show us how much Ace and Whitebeard's bounties were in the upcoming chapters. It's not like it could hurt any potential development with them considering they're dead now. If anything, it'd help put in perspective how much of a threat the government considers Luffy in comparison to badasses like Ace and Whitebeard.

I'd be seriously disappointed if "The Strongest Man in the World" had a bounty of anything less than 500,000 belli. :lol

upandaway

ryan13ts said:
I wonder if Oda will show us how much Ace and Whitebeard bounties were in the upcoming chapters. It's not like it could hurt any potential development with them considering they're dead now. If anything, it'd help put in perspective how much of a threat the government considers Luffy in comparison to badasses like Ace and Whitebeard.

I'd be seriously disappointed if "The Strongest Man in the World" had a bounty of anything less than 500,000 belli. :lol
It's way too convenient for him that it remains a secret. I'm willing to bet money that he didn't know how far bounties will go when he originally started One Piece. Imagine if he gave away Shanks' bounty, he would be stuck.

He may give away Ace's bounty, but the fact Ace's dead doesn't help.

Edit: Also no joke, my guess for WB's bounty would be something like 500 billion. Although when you think about it a bounty is useless anyway, but it's still a convenient power level meter.

I'm in the camp that believes that once you're strong and dangerous enough to be an Emperor, you don't have a bounty because only other Emperors or the Marines are going to bring you down. Ace had to have had a bounty, but I don't think we'll ever see it. Now that he's dead, I just can't see it being brought up.

Lain

Good Ending 42

I liked this chapter more than the last one. Utsumi being a little less indecisive is good. I see him as a really nice guy that doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but that good nature can only bring problems if he doesn't learn that some people will always have their feelings hurt no matter what.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I'm in the camp that believes that once you're strong and dangerous enough to be an Emperor, you don't have a bounty because only other Emperors or the Marines are going to bring you down. Ace had to have had a bounty, but I don't think we'll ever see it. Now that he's dead, I just can't see it being brought up.
Maybe Blackbeard will bring it up to Luffy some time to gloat and piss him off, saying he got it as a bonus.

scotcheggz

I'm about half way through scanlating the first volume of Moteki, I hope to be not busy enough at work this week to have it done by thurs/fri. I hope you guys will read it because so far it's fuckin sweet! I love the art style and the story seems good so far, though I admit, it does seem like it could have the oppurtunity to go to shit. I just hope it doesn't!

There's 4 volumes out so far, I'm going to try and do each volume in 1-2 weeks if work permits.

little bit of a teaser:

107vo6u.jpg

E: wrong version of that page :z

Wiseblade

upandaway said:
It's way too convenient for him that it remains a secret. I'm willing to bet money that he didn't know how far bounties will go when he originally started One Piece. Imagine if he gave away Shanks' bounty, he would be stuck.

He may give away Ace's bounty, but the fact Ace's dead doesn't help.

Edit: Also no joke, my guess for WB's bounty would be something like 500 billion. Although when you think about it a bounty is useless anyway, but it's still a convenient power level meter.

I'd love to have a top tier bounty hunter running around the New World. It'd help give legitimacy to the whole thing. It could even be pretty cool if with the collapse of the Warlords (effectively replaced by the kumabots) Mihawk became a bounty hunter.

upandaway

Wiseblade said:
I'd love to have a top tier bounty hunter running around the New World. It'd help give legitimacy to the whole thing. It could even be pretty cool if with the collapse of the Warlords (effectively replaced by the kumabots) Mihawk became a bounty hunter.
All Warlords were originally pirates right?

It would be pretty badass to see some bounty hunters but honestly they have never been more than fillers (or however you call those guys that are just there to demonstrate a character's superiority).

Wiseblade

upandaway said:
All Warlords were originally pirates right?

It would be pretty badass to see some bounty hunters but honestly they have never been more than fillers (or however you call those guys that are just there to demonstrate a character's superiority).

In general? Mooks.

ZoddGutts

scotcheggz said:
I'm about half way through scanlating the first volume of Moteki, I hope to be not busy enough at work this week to have it done by thurs/fri. I hope you guys will read it because so far it's fuckin sweet! I love the art style and the story seems good so far, though I admit, it does seem like it could have the oppurtunity to go to shit. I just hope it doesn't!

There's 4 volumes out so far, I'm going to try and do each volume in 1-2 weeks if work permits.

Nice good to see that manga is getting scanlated already seen the entire 4 raw volumes of it. Want to know what happened with him and that girl that he knew since he was a kid in School.

fireside

scotcheggz said:

little bit of a teaser:

http://i25.tinypic.com/107vo6u.jpg

E: wrong version of that page :z
You should increase the stroke on the text so it’s easier to read.

After seeing God's Beard pimping this manga so much, plus being bored a bit I decided to read Sanctuary

It was awesome and liked it as much as Crying Freeman

The main characters were great to the very end :(

Really sucked what happened to Asami at the latter half of the story and the end :( :(. Just as he was picked for Prime Minister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom