• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Extollere said:
How much fun is this game playing alone? From the few levels I tried it seemed to be built around the concept of co-op (larger spaces, set-ups for assistance, ect). I've been putting the game off for a while because I wanted to go through it with a friend, but fuck it... It's been on the shelf forever.

Starts out a bit slowly (the first world is too easy), but it gets challenging enough. Depends what you're looking for in a single-player game. I had fun with it, recently 100%ed it, and I rarely play games to completion these days. The multiplayer is obviously even more fun.

jarosh

i disagree. sp and multi are two completely different experiences. sp is at least as much fun as multi if not more so. i didn't find it to be slow either. i had a blast with it right away, even in world 1. don't forget to collect all the big coins. great additional challenge and gives you a great reward at the end!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
jarosh said:
i disagree. sp and multi are two completely different experiences. sp is at least as much fun as multi if not more so. i didn't find it to be slow either. i had a blast with it right away, even in world 1. don't forget to collect all the big coins. great additional challenge and gives you a great reward at the end!

NO YOU'RE WRONG.

Okay, whatever, the point is: it's fun any way you look at it. I really like that game, and I'm not even a huge Mario fan. I hope Super Mario Bros. 6 will blow our minds with completely new worlds though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Kilrogg said:
Starts out a bit slowly (the first world is too easy), but it gets challenging enough. Depends what you're looking for in a single-player game. I had fun with it, recently 100%ed it, and I rarely play games to completion these days. The multiplayer is obviously even more fun.
Pretty much. It really is a true successor to 3 and World, with a single player that gets incredible towards the last three or so worlds. Multiplayer is basically a fun icing on the cake for you and your siblings or friends.

Boney

Banned
The game is definately designed so it can be played both in SP and MP. Never excluding either. And they're both different experiences. SP is just as good as past Mario games and multi is just so much fun.

SP run is a requirement. It's amazing.

The_Technomancer said:
Pretty much. It really is a true successor to 3 and World, with a single player that gets incredible towards the last three or so worlds.

This is so true. It really takes the best from both of these two games, making it a contender for the best Mario.

I was playing this today for the first time since I beat it...and I never realized that you could use wiimote + nunchuk controls on it. I tried it briefly, but I'm way too accustomed to sideways wiimote. Does anyone play this with the nunchuk?

Either this game is brutally hard, or my Mario skills have become rusty... I keep dying in some levels trying to get all the star coins, god damn but it's fun, and you feel like a badass once you conquer a tough level :D

Also occasionally playing it with my nephew when he comes over... I wish he was better at it, but it's still a lot of fun in 2-players.

WillyFive

I don't own it, but every time I play it at a demo kiosk at stores, I keep dying. I never get to complete a level other than the ones from the first worlds.

Ranger X

Willy105 said:
I don't own it, but every time I play it at a demo kiosk at stores, I keep dying. I never get to complete a level other than the ones from the first worlds.

Well, you should really buy it. Not only that you will perform ALOT better at home but this is the game to not miss on Wii. It's one of the best single player experience I've ever had in my life and the best 2D Mario ever. If you tought that the platforming 2D genre was done, think again. This game comes with something different, original and amazing level after level up until the end. I was totally not prepared for that. I always vouched by Super Mario Bros 3 but I have to admit that now it has been dethroned. I never ever thought it could be possible but it happened...

Slowly making my way through the game. Just got to World 6 and the action/difficulty seems to be picking up some.

Pretty fun thus far but I'm disappointed that they nerfed Wigglers in this game. Having them go batshit insane on you after stomping on them made them one of my favorite enemies in SMW. Now they just turn red and continue crawling at a snail's pace.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up this game before Christmas with a Red Wii. Having played DKCR first, it was initially difficult to get into NSMB Wii.

However, after a few worlds I am hooked.

I agree with the posts that identify the game as a fusion of many of the best aspects of SMB 3 and SMW. In summary, New Super Mario Bros Wii adds a few exploration elements to the SMB 3 formula.

The game also provides a reasonable challenge to the Mario veteran (unlike NSMB DS).

My partner is also excited about being able play some cooperative Mario (I am already looking forward to revisiting the game with her when she has the time).

There is also so much nostalgia from the classic 2D mario titles that it is hard not to play without a smile.

A superb game. It might also top SMB 3 as my favourite 2D mario (I still enjoy making a few nice beverages and replaying SMB 3 on my NES).

Top Bottom