• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Ranger X said:
Completing this game with 2 players or more must be EVIL.
:lol

I plan on doing it sometimes.
I beat single player twice already.

With my bro, we've barely been able to make it out of World 4. It's just so much more difficult not always being able to do tricky jumps and wild moves without support from you brother, who may also be trying to throw you off the cliff for giggles.

Zing

Banned
Well, about 20 minutes after my last post regarding having three star coins left, I booted up the game and cleared that level of star coins on my second try. It was pretty funny considering I haven't played this game in probably 4 months.

I now have "five stars" and I agree that it puts a little damper on the desire to replay the game alone. Hopefully I can find someone who has any sort of skill to play this with me. It just isn't fun to me when everyone else I play with loses all of their lives within the first 30 seconds.

I'm half way through the 7th world with my 11 year old sister. I can't believe we've even got this far. There's definitely been chunks that have been hard for her but she's surprised me at parts too. Definitely a fun game.

Proven

Zing said:
Well, about 20 minutes after my last post regarding having three star coins left, I booted up the game and cleared that level of star coins on my second try. It was pretty funny considering I haven't played this game in probably 4 months.

I now have "five stars" and I agree that it puts a little damper on the desire to replay the game alone. Hopefully I can find someone who has any sort of skill to play this with me. It just isn't fun to me when everyone else I play with loses all of their lives within the first 30 seconds.

Yeah, sorry man. Unless everyone's at least a little bit competent, or everyone's incompetent, you'll have fun. Otherwise, it's which ever group that's the largest getting all the laughs. Maybe you can give them tips/train them?

JimboJones

In my game, I constantly have 99 lives. It's like any other Mario game with essentially infinite lives.

By the end of Super Mario World I had about 350 lives, when I lent it to my friend he somehow amassed 999 lives.

Yagharek

Just got up to the end of world 8 (havent started the boss level yet). Progress has been pretty good and I have completed world 1 with all coins and have only 2-3 coins per world for the rest (including 8).

The only mystery I have yet to figure out is where the hell is level 8-7? I think I know where but still going to try find it myself so no hints please for now. :)

I swear some of the levels from world 5 onwards are pretty bloody hard, 8-6 especially for some reason. Some levels have even reached Galaxy levels of ingenuity.

I absolutely *love* the anchor levels and fighting Bowser Jr. The second one was pure class.

My only complaint is that it can get a bit hard (Toad rescue levels) and the mechanic of 'lives' is wearing thin. I accept that you should have to start a level/checkpoint again when you fall into lava, but perhaps just having infinite lives and then presenting you with a death tally at the end screen would suffice? All I do now is go back to world 1-2 and build up the bank to 50 lives every time I run down a few dozen.

Zing

Banned
If anything is obsolete, it is the idea of a "score". It is completely meaningless in a game where you can replay any of the levels as many times as you wish. I guess score and lives are just things they felt should always belong in a Mario game.

oo I'm glad this thread got bumped, I just beat this last night:

The final boss level and giant bowser was fucking amazing, the epic music and chanting in the background, oh man, that had my adrenaline rushing. I love Nintendo, but I do confess I've been giving my PS3 all the love for the last few years, but man that last boss is at the top of my list for favorite experiences this generation. Pure fun.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Zing said:
If anything is obsolete, it is the idea of a "score". It is completely meaningless in a game where you can replay any of the levels as many times as you wish. I guess score and lives are just things they felt should always belong in a Mario game.

Back when NSMB first hit, aside from my criticism that World 9 should have been a star-themed set of levels, my only other critiques of the game were:

1. Like Galaxy, your lives should have reset to 5 every time you started a new session. Make lives a tool you use for every new game, not stockpiled infinitely.

2. There should have been the individual scoring from multiplayer mode in all modes, and you shouldn't have gotten more score just from replaying beaten levels.

Ranger X

I agree the score is useless but I did use ALOT of lives to complete this game. I even remember some Castle making me use like 30 or my 40 lives!! I mean, it WAS useful to pile them up to the contrary of some older and easier Mario games where you have 99 lives within 3 worlds.
(ok to fair I've been dying alot more when I was young in those old Marios but still, NSMB IS the hardest 2D Mario ever imo --- and the best one too)

Sagitario

Kaijima said:
Like Galaxy, your lives should have reset to 5 every time you started a new session. Make lives a tool you use for every new game, not stockpiled infinitely.

I disagree with this completely. You can actually die A LOT in NSMBW and having to go back to World 1 just to get more lives would become a chore after a while.

Yagharek

Yep, they need to basically have an endless supply of lives and maybe rank your effort at the end of each world based on number of lives used.

There are a few bits in the game that are exceedingly tough, some even frustrating.

Still, its all worth it especially for that ending. I swear, they outdid games like
Halo, Uncharted and any recent game with an escape sequence ending. It helps that they can be self referential about it too, adds to the surprise

Also - its hard to fear Bowser after M&L: Bowsers Inside Story. :D

But that bit damn well made him imposing.

Sagitario

Just collected all the star coins [FUCK YOU LAST STAR COIN OF WORLD 9-7, FUCK YOU TO HELL]...

Anyway, I only have 4 sparkling stars in my save file and 2 or 3 movies are still missing in Peach Castle.
I did all the Toad Houses and re-used all the warp cannons again, so I don't know what I'm missing.
Do the Toad rescue missions matter for the 5th star/videos?

Sagitario

Sagitario said:
Just collected all the star coins [FUCK YOU LAST STAR COIN OF WORLD 9-7, FUCK YOU TO HELL]...

Anyway, I only have 4 sparkling stars in my save file and 2 or 3 movies are still missing in Peach Castle.
I did all the Toad Houses and re-used all the warp cannons again, so I don't know what I'm missing.

Anyone?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
According to GameFAQs, these are the star requirements;

Sparkling Stars - Beat the game without Super Guide appearing.
Star 1 - Beat the game.
Star 2 - Beat every normal level
Star 3 - Collect all 207 star coins in the first 8 worlds.
Star 4 - Collect all 24 star coins in world 9.
Star 5 - Beat every level, find every secret goal and use all of the warp cannons.

Sagitario

I guess I'm missing a secret goal because I did everything else...

Is there a list of secret goals or does that mean only secret exits (IIRC, I did them all)?

Joei

Sagitario said:
Then I'm clueless :(

If you're missing movies, then I'd check Gamefaqs. There's a guide that states the requirements to unlock each movie. This may give you some insight on why you don't have all the sparkling stars. Also, I'm not positive, but if you ever unlocked the auto guide from dying 8 times or whatever in a level, that may affect it, again though, I'm not 100% on that.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Sagitario said:

That happened to me and it drove me crazy! I finally figured out that I missed an exit in 2-6. Maybe go check the map in World 2 to see if there's two red mushrooms (and two green ones) immediately above 2-6. If not, there's your missing exit. It's easy to miss it because it's a redundant pathway and you can still get all the gold coins without using that exit.

EDIT:
Joei said:
If you're missing movies, then I'd check Gamefaqs. There's a guide that states the requirements to unlock each movie. This may give you some insight on why you don't have all the sparkling stars. Also, I'm not positive, but if you ever unlocked the auto guide from dying 8 times or whatever in a level, that may affect it, again though, I'm not 100% on that.
NOOOO! Don't do that you'll lose all your sparklies!

Sagitario

Joei said:

Thanks! Will do...

VideoMan said:
That happened to me and it drove me crazy! I finally figured out that I missed an exit in 2-6. Maybe go check the map in World 2 to see if there's two red mushrooms (and two green ones) immediately above 2-6. If not, there's your missing exit. It's easy to miss it because it's a redundant pathway and you can still get all the gold coins without using that exit.

EDIT:

I'll check it tonight! Thanks!

My 4 stars are sparkling :p

Joei

VideoMan said:

EDIT:

Lol, sorry, that's what I meant. I shoiuld have been more clear. Thanks.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
If you like 2D mario, the game is awesome single player or with multiple friends.

jarosh

Guevara said:
NSMB:Wii is now $34.99 plus a $10 coupon at Gamestop. Is that worth it if I only plan on playing this single player?
i really don't know who started the rumor that this is a multiplayer game primarily. it absolutely isn't. quite the opposite actually.

Guevara

Thanks all. Ordered. There was also a 15% coupon floating around that made the net effective price $34.99 - 15% - $10 (coupon) = $19.74 and free shipping.

Hiltz

Been playing this again almost every night with my sister's boyfriend. We're at world 4 at the moment. It really is fun to play this game with more than one person. :D

I wish the penguin suit would have been featured in Mario Galaxy 2. It's one of the coolest suits Nintendo's ever made.

My sister's boyfriend likes the game so much that he finally sold his Xbox 360 arcade in order to buy a Wii and get a copy of New SMB Wii, Mario Kart and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10.

Guevara said:
NSMB:Wii is now $34.99 plus a $10 coupon at Gamestop. Is that worth it if I only plan on playing this single player?
Yes. Single-player, it's a 2D Mario along the lines of Super Mario World.

In fact, the proof of concept was World with 4 players.

BowieZ

Banned
Hiltz said:
Been playing this again almost every night with my sister's boyfriend. We're at world 4 at the moment. It really is fun to play this game with more than one person. :D

I wish the penguin suit would have been featured in Mario Galaxy 2. It's one of the coolest suits Nintendo's ever made.

My sister's boyfriend likes the game so much that he finally sold his Xbox 360 arcade in order to buy a Wii and get a copy of New SMB Wii, Mario Kart and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10.
Sounds like your sister has some competition ;)

=p

I need to get back to this game. For whatever reason, I find it crazy hard and got so frustrated I stopped playing. I've lost my tolerance for frustration in my old age, I'm sort of worried about Galaxy 2 after hearing how much harder it's supposed to be.

Celine

Guevara said:
What the I don't even ...
Buy it !

EDIT:
megashock5 said:
I need to get back to this game. For whatever reason, I find it crazy hard and got so frustrated I stopped playing. I've lost my tolerance for frustration in my old age, I'm sort of worried about Galaxy 2 after hearing how much harder it's supposed to be.
I've found the difficult right, not too easy ( like NSMB DS or SMG ) and not too hard.
Yes there are some spot difficult but overall the 8 world aren't maddening.

The super guide ( how you lose the sparkle ) and the lack of "save everywhere you want" can be a pain in the ass if you really want to "complete" it.

Celine

Naked Snake said:
Is it me or does the difficulty skyrocket in World 2?
Don't remember that be the case.

Just completed it.
Got every gold coins, every warp zone cannon.
However I've got only 4 shining stars in the menu.
I noted that I don't have available every videos so maybe that's the cause.

Awesome game, 9-7 felt almost as a Super Mario hack level :lol ( so frustating obtaining the 3 coins )

So guys, I bought the game a month ago and have yet to play it as I'm doing reno work.

How long does it take to complete the game, and how long does it take to find everything?

Thanks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Took me about four days to beat it, and two weeks to beat everything.

Though I too do not have a fifth star so I must be missing something.

Zing

Banned
Be sure to revisit every single toad house after completing the game. That is what was holding me back from all five stars.

Teknoman

Zing said:
Be sure to revisit every single toad house after completing the game. That is what was holding me back from all five stars.

I'll give that a shot.

Still wish there was some sort of code to put in at the title screen for a "hard mode" or a Super Mario World style season change mode with altered enemies.

Guess i'll have to just wait awhile and then replay it.

Sagitario

Turns out there was a secret exit in World 2 that leads to a pipe [shortcut to the castle]... that pipe sure looked suspicious [I should have watched the hint movies earlier] :p

Now I got my 5th sparkling star, just in time for Galaxy 2 :D

Finally got the game! What an incredible presentation, nostalgia overflow! From the design, gameplay and music to all the little details all over the game. Just cleared the mini castle in world 3 alone. And got to the mini castle in world 2 with my girlfriend.

Zing

Banned
"Sparkling" is from never getting the guide to pop up right?

I had it pop up one time. I never used it. I guess I just get fucked for dying a few times while trying to get a certain star coin. It's lame since you could easily avoid it by simply exiting the level and restarting.

Sagitario

Zing said:
"Sparkling" is from never getting the guide to pop up right?

I had it pop up one time. I never used it. I guess I just get fucked for dying a few times while trying to get a certain star coin. It's lame since you could easily avoid it by simply exiting the level and restarting.

Indeed.

Man I can't stop playing! Every level is amazing to play. About halfway through world 5, and have already got all the star coins in the first two worlds (and only missing a few in 3 and 4).

Finding all the secrets is soooo rewarding!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
chuckywang said:
I must have died 30 times in a row trying to get the star coins in world 9-1.

Why the fuck is this so hard???

9-1 is nothing compared to 9-4 and 9-7. :p

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
How much fun is this game playing alone? From the few levels I tried it seemed to be built around the concept of co-op (larger spaces, set-ups for assistance, ect). I've been putting the game off for a while because I wanted to go through it with a friend, but fuck it... It's been on the shelf forever.

Top Bottom