• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

tabsina

Bizzyb said:
IGNorant Article: Read at your Own Risk

Blinded by Mario

Is this site banned yet?

the problem with these people in relation to their arguments with online is - they still don't get it is supposed to be a laugh, and not a serious experience - how could online come even remotely close to the joys of playing with 3 others in the room.

while online would have been a bonus, it wasn't a missed feature for me

DanielPlainview said:
I barely play videogames anymore but my gf and I picked this up today. Can't wait to play it!
It's great fun in 2 player, you will fall into pits and die a lot but at the same time it's amazing and you will laugh.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
zigg said:
Just to out-pedantic you, midway points are in the original SMB.

(yes, it took me ten days to get around to noting this)

I had forgotten about that as well. Now, it's not QUITE the same, mind you -- no little flag/checkpoint, but it essentially serves the same purpose.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Finally found this in stock. Played up until the snow world castle with my gf, and we had a ton of laughs. If there is one power up I love in this game, its the god damn mini.

cramcakes

I got the wifey to play this with me the other day. Turns out she has gamer-tourettes like I do!

Fingers crossed for a sequel on the Wii.

tabsina said:
the problem with these people in relation to their arguments with online is - they still don't get it is supposed to be a laugh, and not a serious experience - how could online come even remotely close to the joys of playing with 3 others in the room.

while online would have been a bonus, it wasn't a missed feature for me

I agree that the co-op gameplay is best enjoyed in a room filled with friends or family and isn't necessary for online play. Now, if the next 2D mario console title does have online play, what would really be the highlight, if included, would be the deathmatch mode from NSMB(DS)! I swear it's SO much fun, one of the best multiplayer VS. games i've ever played, and that's coming from someone who has played a lot.

The deathmatch VS. mode would be perfect for online play because it wouldn't really work well with split-screen considering players could see where on the map their rival is and the competitive aspect would be ideal for an online environment.

Finn

FootNinja said:
Beat this game with my gf/cousin today and what a fantastic game. I take my hat off to you miyamoto/mario team.
Do you mean your girlfriend AND cousin, or is your girlfriend also your cousin?

I just finished my 5th SP playthrough... GOD DAMN. I swear the game gets better every time I go through it again. I was flipping out over how good it was when I first played it, but if anything, I originally underrated this game. So. Fucking. Good.

:lol @ everyone who said this game isn't that great. It must suck to not be able to identify an amazing game when you see one.

So Ive had this game for almost two months but haven't had much time to play....

Is the general consensus that this game is hard?

I can run through Super Mario World with my eyes closed, and the DS game was a breeze....but I keep dieing in this game.

The only other mario game I had trouble with was Mario 2, which I never finished. I had no problem with yoshis island.

Edit: The one thing I really dislike about the game is that it doesnt support GC controllers. I am a one wii controller man, I had to borrow another one for multiplayer. EVERYTHING could be done on a GC controller.

-Tilt = C stick
-Shake = l/r button OR z button OR dpad

jamesinclair said:
EVERYTHING could be done on a GC controller.

-Tilt = C stick

That doesn't mean it'd feel the same.

I mean, yeah, why make use of a controller that defines the whole system???

jamesinclair said:
So Ive had this game for almost two months but haven't had much time to play....

Is the general consensus that this game is hard?

I can run through Super Mario World with my eyes closed, and the DS game was a breeze....but I keep dieing in this game.

The only other mario game I had trouble with was Mario 2, which I never finished. I had no problem with yoshis island.

Edit: The one thing I really dislike about the game is that it doesnt support GC controllers. I am a one wii controller man, I had to borrow another one for multiplayer. EVERYTHING could be done on a GC controller.

-Tilt = C stick
I honestly have no idea what the people who find it difficult are smoking, I found it to be even easier than Super Mario World and NSMB DS.

Controlling the tilt platforms with the C stick wouldn't really work since you need the face buttons to jump/attack enemies while moving the platforms. It would probably work with the shoulder buttons though.

nincompoop said:
Controlling the tilt platforms with the C stick wouldn't really work since you need the face buttons to jump/attack enemies while moving the platforms. It would probably work with the shoulder buttons though.

Yeah youre right, it would make more sense. The GC controller has so many buttons mapping them is easy.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
That doesn't mean it'd feel the same.

I mean, yeah, why make use of a controller that defines the whole system???

Im not saying not use the wii control, but why not support the GC controller as well? Theres nothing that NSMB asks you to do that can't be done with a traditional controller. Not a single thing.

It costs 60 fucking dollars to get a complete wii controller (remote+ chuck + motionplus). I have 4 GC controllers that work great laying around. Let me use them. I've had hours of SSBB and Mario Kart fun with 4 players thanks to GC controllers.

How much development time would it take to add controller support? A couple of hours>

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
nincompoop said:
I honestly have no idea what the people who find it difficult are smoking, I found it to be even easier than Super Mario World and NSMB DS.

I'm about halfway through World 5 and it really is incredibly easy. Still loving it, though; the game feels like a revamped Super Mario World. (I've never played the DS original.)

While the singleplayer doesn't appear to be much of a challenge, it's a different story for multiplayer. I can't even begin to count how many times I've stuffed up something for a mate or vice-versa. :lol

Davey Cakes

I do agree that the game is easier than people say it is. I mean, it has a few tough moments that'll cost you a life or two, but that's basically it. The hardest aspect of the game is collecting star coins by far, because the level designs are fully utilized.

That said, the game definitely is harder than its DS counterpart. No question there.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Overall, the difficulty in NSMBW probably isn't that much different from the other Marios. However, the toughest levels in the game are tougher than anything I've encountered in either SMB3 or World.

Joei

Rash said:
I do agree that the game is easier than people say it is. I mean, it has a few tough moments that'll cost you a life or two, but that's basically it. The hardest aspect of the game is collecting star coins by far, because the level designs are fully utilized.

Yeah, if you play from the start of the level to the end, it's a very easy game. The challenge is in collecting the Star Coins, and most are fairly easy to get. I can count on one hand how many "hard" levels the game probably has. The hardest level for me was
World 9, last level 9-8 I think
. That one took me hours to get every star coin. Just to get to the end was hard enough.

Best part of multi-player: everyone bubbling to save themselves from death. The music fades out and then we all realize we failed. Hilarity ensues. :lol

tabsina

Lone_Prodigy said:
Best part of multi-player: everyone bubbling to save themselves from death. The music fades out and then we all realize we failed. Hilarity ensues. :lol

My uni mates figured out the [annoying] tactic "press A when you are close to death" really quickly when I introduced the game to them - the only problem is, when one person dies, they all get scared and press A out of instinct.. and we all lose :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
Just bought a Wii off someone for 40 dollars and made beeline for this game... I remember some 4 player skill videos being released shortly before the game's release. Anyone got any videos similar to those I can check out?

Kimosabae said:
Just bought a Wii off someone for 40 dollars and made beeline for this game... I remember some 4 player skill videos being released shortly before the game's release. Anyone got any videos similar to those I can check out?
they're purchasable in the game for big coins

You can probably find them on youtube with the words "super skill"

Kimosabae

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
they're purchasable in the game for big coins

You can probably find them on youtube with the words "super skill"

Yeah, but I was hoping to hear about something more grassroots - skill vids by players not working for Nintendo. I was thinking maybe grassroots communities sprung up dedicated to breaking into the game, etc.

Vizion28

Banned
Great game beat in single player in about a week. My only complaints are there could have been more levels - I think Mario 3 and Mario World had more levels. I also wish it was more challenging (or maybe I'm just good).

I still prefer Mario Galaxy as my top Mario, the game is just epic brilliant.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, something really weird happened. I got all the special levels in world 9 unlocked. The only way for all those levels to become unlocked is to collect the 3 big coins in EVERY level of EVERY world. Yet the other day when me and my roommate were playing again, I come across a level that I have absolutely no memory of playing (it's with the giant caterpillars that let you bounce real high in world..5 in think?)

What's up with that?!

mooooose

Vizion28 said:
Great game beat in single player in about a week. My only complaints are there could have been more levels - I think Mario 3 and Mario World had more levels. I also wish it was more challenging (or maybe I'm just good).

I still prefer Mario Galaxy as my top Mario, the game is just epic brilliant.
You beat it in a week and got all the gold coins? I've been playing it casually and I just beat it this week after buying it at launch, but I got the three coins on my first playthrough of a level. Lasted me a long time and was challenging enough.

Haunted

Bizzyb said:
IGNorant Article: Read at your Own Risk

Blinded by Mario
9ubs40.png

Jason's Ultimatum said:
How do you buy a Wii off someone for $40? Me think you bought it from someone who stole a bunch and is selling them for dirt cheap. :lol
Maybe it was a GAFer. If everyone's already popular by refusing to play their Wii, the only move you can really make is to take a massive bath on it!

Kimosabae

Banned
Nah, I bought it off someone I (somewhat) trust - though I was literally just thinking about that as I was playing this game.

Funny.

He just really wanted to get rid of it. I threw in a PS3 Street Fighter Fightpad I wasn't using also.

I'm starting to die a lot in World 2. Became too complacent from the mind-numbing simplicity of the first world. Now, I don't wanna be patient. LOL, Nintendo still knows how to make em'

*Cue Brian Regan*

"Thanks for the confidence boost!"

And I challenge someone to tell me what's wrong with banging their GF/Cousin/Luigi.

WillyFive

Kimosabae said:

$40!?! AWESOME!!!!! Did it have any games installed?

Proven

Oblivion said:
Okay, something really weird happened. I got all the special levels in world 9 unlocked. The only way for all those levels to become unlocked is to collect the 3 big coins in EVERY level of EVERY world. Yet the other day when me and my roommate were playing again, I come across a level that I have absolutely no memory of playing (it's with the giant caterpillars that let you bounce real high in world..5 in think?)

What's up with that?!

That's level 5-2 or 5-3. My best guess is that someone else played it for you. It isn't very hard to get all the coins in that level.

Ranger X

So I just finished NSMB Wii.

This game did something I never ever thought would be possible: It made me revise my Mario games ranking. SMB3 (that was first place) and Mario World (that was second place by a hair) are now second and third. Yup, without hesitation I'm saying it: NSMB Wii is the best 2D Mario game I've ever fucking played.

/flasbergasted

AniHawk

Ranger X said:

This game did something I never ever thought would be possible: It made me revise my Mario games ranking. SMB3 (that was first place) and Mario World (that was second place by a hair) are now second and third. Yup, without hesitation I'm saying it: NSMB Wii is the best 2D Mario game I've ever fucking played.

/flasbergasted

Pretty much. Welcome to the club.

RagnarokX

Ranger X said:

/flasbergasted

Yep, it merges new and old and does it even better.

upandaway

I agree, but I'd rather not just lump them together like that. As it looks like it, I will still play both 3 and Wii again in the future. SMB3's maps are just so fun in 2 player.

BowieZ

Banned
Ranger X said:

/flasbergasted

We have quite a bit of food left to go around until more people join. There's some snacks over there. And by the stereo system is some punch.

Feel free to make yourself home.

Man I just haven't had the fucking time to buy and play this game. Pokemon HeartGold is occupying the only hours I have for gaming, but I guess I will get NSMBW sometime here in the spring and soon after Galaxy 2!

Gonna be an awesome Mario year for me!

Multi-player is definitely untouchable for any game: it's the perfect mix of competition and cooperation. I think to truly compare to other 2D Marios, I'd have to beat the game by myself.

Top Bottom