• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

AniHawk said:
Also the people who say this game doesn't do anything new really need to take a good hard look at the level design in this game and previous 2D Mario games and come to their senses. I know NSMBW is not a very good movie but that's because it's a video game.

I did, and I'm not amazed.

AniHawk

Dabookerman said:
I did, and I'm not amazed.

Maybe if it had one gimmick that the designers could use as a crutch for 120 challenges.

Okay, 120 challenges is probably too much. We all know there wasn't that much platforming in SMG.

Dr.Hadji

JasonMCG said:
After playing multiplayer w/both family and friends over the holidays, gotta say, the game is better suited as a single-player game. Multiplayer is hectic and fun, but I don't really think the game is really any better for it.

The game isn't any better for having additional fun in modes outside of singleplayer? What kind of world is this?

upandaway

I think the way the coins were handled may ruin the game for some people. They're gonna go "well there whoopty fuck I got everything, you back on the shelf" and never play it again. The coins give the game a collectathon feel even though they're only meant to add challenge and give incentive to explore the levels (that were always full of secrets in the past 2D games), and take away from the arcadey feel of playing it once a while for fun.
I've seen this happen in front of my eyes, so don't tell me it's not true.

Instead of downright changing the way the coins were handled, I think an idea is to include some sort of 'classic play mode' where you play all the levels without an overworld (or, with an overworld where you can't go back/go to toad houses) and limited continues and everything. That would make people more prone to picking the game up without feeling like it's not justified because they already got all the coins, or because they feel like they will "have" to collect them all again.
There's the Coin Battle and the other one yeah, but those are multiplayer only.

AniHawk said:
Maybe if it had one gimmick that the designers could use as a crutch for 120 challenges.

Okay, 120 challenges is probably too much. We all know there wasn't that much platforming in SMG.

Uh huh.

AniHawk

Dabookerman said:

There wasn't. There was racing and shit too. And a stupid underwater level that nobody would ever like because it sucks. There is a good amount of platforming, but it's super easy going for a long time.

BTW I'm playing through Trine right now. Pretty awesome game. Kinda like a Fable sidescrolling game as far as presentation goes.

AniHawk said:
There wasn't. There was racing and shit too. And a stupid underwater level that nobody would ever like because it sucks. There is a good amount of platforming, but it's super easy going for a long time.

BTW I'm playing through Trine right now. Pretty awesome game. Kinda like a Fable sidescrolling game as far as presentation goes.

Underwater levels suck in any game. I suppose it's nice that there are only like 4 or 5 in NSMB wii.. Auto scrolling levels also get on my tits.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
for me, on a granular level, it comes down to which type of Mario get I get more enjoyment out simply moving around an environment.

I just find 3D Mario, the environments I move around in, and the ensuing gameplay to be much more interesting than, if often not as hard as, 2D Mario. I'm also one of those guys who falls in love with games that have interesting worlds/tones/atmospheres, and Galaxy provided that in spades, whereas NSMBW had the opportunity to something similar and instead decided to go with a safe, traditional and all round uninteresting art style.

I have nothing against the underwater levels in either game. I had fun with both of them.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dabookerman said:
Underwater levels suck in any game. I suppose it's nice that there are only like 4 or 5 in NSMB wii.. Auto scrolling levels also get on my tits.

the autoscrolling levels are the best ones. :mad:

ziran

This game is AMAZING!!!! Just finished it all, and WOW!!! Up there with the best 2D Mario games, SMW, YI, SMB3, and by definition the greatest games ever made!

I really didn't think it would be THIS good! I mean, it's Mario, through and through! No compromises, just the core of what has always made Mario the star he is today. Controls, level design, secrets, overall - just incredible! The DS game was fun, but NSMBWii is simply stunning!

Oh, and the multiplayer is fan-fucking-tastic!! :D

Easily my GOTY.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just got back from Best Buy (picked up Darksiders) and today marks the first day since the 2nd week of December that I've seen this game on a store shelf (in central Arkansas).

The Lamonster said:
My girlfriend and I had a fucking blast playing through it.

This. We had an awesome time although as we got nearer to the end, it got harder and harder. Thankfully I didn't die too many times from jumping on me. Great girlfriend game.

We beat the game last night and unlocked World 9. I've got to go back and find all those star coins so we can continue :)

Cheez-It

GOTY for me.

The level design was fucking fantastic. Not only is this a blast to play single player, but it all works in multiplayer as well, yet it feels like an entirely different game.

Just got the 4th shiny star (not going to bother with secret exits) with my wife. What a great time.

The only levels I don't like are the ones where the lights are out. It's an arbitrary nuisance, especially when it comes to finding the 3 big coins.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My brother and I play the main game co-op, and than my sister jumps in for three player coin battles. Is there no part of this game that isn't fun?

the old mario jumping on the turtle shell on the staircase 1UP trick works in this game as well. you don't even have to press the jump button but one time. he will automatically hop the right height, just get it started and 99 lives will be yours in about 1 minute! there's a good spot in world 2 that works great.

sinxtanx

So, yeah.

Got this game for Christmas.

Played worlds 1-3.5 with some friends and two controllers. VERY fun.

Then, today, we played and finished through world 3.5-8 with four controllers. HOLY SHIT. I seriously hold this night as the best video game experience in my life. Between the five of us, we probably used up over a hundred continues, and screamed NOOOO followed by laughing our asses off countless times. As we played, my skill curve was a bit wavy, and I got my ass handed to me by most of the levels and probably used up most continues of all. But during the final segment of the last castle, I managed to grab one of those propeller suits. My two remaining companions tried their best, but was forced to go into bubbles. I was IN THE FUCKING ZONE. Jumping, diving and flailing around between the moving platforms and fireballs I managed to get a lot further than we had previously gotten during our failed attempts. All the guys were shouting random exclamations at this point. I lost the propeller suit, and commotion ensued. I freed one of the guys from his bubbly prison, and together we sped forward across the remaining platforms. When I saw the button, I didn't even have to think. Princess saved, evil quenched.

I exhaled a lot of air and did a high five with the other remaining guy.
We then went on discussing whether or not Blue Toad and Yellow Toad were in a homosexual relationship with each other.

Blueblur1

Cheez-It said:
GOTY for me.

The level design was fucking fantastic. Not only is this a blast to play single player, but it all works in multiplayer as well, yet it feels like an entirely different game.
Same goes for me. I've gotten 5 stars on my first file and I'm going through it again on a second file. I absolutely love this game.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I wonder if there'll be another Iwata Asks with some of the other members of the development team.

BowieZ

Banned
EDIT: Congrats on NSMBW's enormous sales figures. I'm pretty sure positive word of mouth helped fuel this beast.

Cheez-It said:
GOTY for me.

Just got the 4th shiny star (not going to bother with secret exits) with my wife. What a great time.
Awww come on. 80% of the time you can tell when there's a secret exit by map icon placement.

You owe it to the GOTY to at least try.

BowieZ

Banned
So how do you guys think they're gonna handle the sequel of this, vs. the sequel to the DS game (talked about being a fully 3D game IIRC) vs. a possible New Super Mario All-Stars game* vs. Mario Galaxy 2 coming out this year, you know, in terms of time frames for release, naming, etc?

I mean, massive sales for NSMBDS and NSMBW and middling sales for Galaxy are surely signs for impending announcement of another iteration of the New 'series', right?

bh7812 said:
I completely agree with those saying they need to do a Mario All Stars 2 with everything re-done in 2.5D. I'd buy it for sure if they ever do that. With the re-filing of the Mario Collection trademark last summer in Japan, we may actually see that happen. This year IS the 25th anniversary of the Mario series so if they do something like that it would be very nice. I'd have no problems with it being on DS but I admit I would like to see what they could do with it on Wii and I'd like to see Mario World get a 2.5D remake as well as part of that package if they ever do it. With doing it on Wii, they can introduce the original games to those brand new to games with Wii. Leave in the original 8 bit versions who want to play the games that way. Put together one colossal package with original 8 bit versions plus 2.5D remakes featuring updated (again) graphics and music...I'll gladly pay 60 bucks for it Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there will be a NSMBW2. This game alone is going to sell bucket-loads, there's no point yet (much like Mario Kart).

Haunted

AniHawk said:

Slamming SMG to put down dabookerman? Poor form, Ani, poor form.

Dabookerman said:
Well let's consider the 2D Mario games shall we?
Mario Bros began it all
Mario 3 gave us the overworld, and many awesome power ups.
Mario World gave us Yoshi
People know I'm not the biggest NSMBWii fan, but fuck, the new powerups + the multiplayer element is easily up there with the additions you listed in terms of how much it changes the gameplay.

And, as you said, it incorporates many elements from the previous iterations. Wait, is that a bad thing? No, because it results in NSMBWii being one of the most varied 2D Mario games yet.

upandaway

Rez said:
I don't think there will be a NSMBW2. This game alone is going to sell bucket-loads, there's no point yet (much like Mario Kart).
Well, not soon, but someone at Nintendo needs a punch to the chin if we don't get another one on the next console.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm actually hoping that we get some other great spinoffs.

New Metroid Wii
New Zelda Wii
New xxx Wii.

If they do make a sequal to this I would like to see a sequel to Doku Doku Mario. It's a great game, and we never got another similar game.

Anyway, I'm up to 2 stars in the play file and only have about 6 or so of the coins to go. I've been ignoring
World 9
. I'll get to it once it is fully unlocked.

Teknoman

Reached World 8 first time co-op last night. Volcano music, poisonous volcanic clouds, and bonecoasters are AWESOME. The Ludwig boss battle was kinda cool too.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dabookerman said:
Well let's consider the 2D Mario games shall we?
Mario Bros began it all
Mario 3 gave us the overworld, and many awesome power ups.
Mario World gave us Yoshi

At the risk of being pendantic...

Donkey Kong began it all.

Mario Bros. gave us multiplayer.

Super Mario Bros. gave us the 2D, side scrolling, brick-smashing, power-up based gameplay.

Super Mario Bros. 2 / USA gave us multiplayer distinctions and a hefty emphasis on picking up items.

Super Mario Bros. 3 gave us the overworld, item inventory, flight, a "real" two player mode with an emphasis on competition, the Koopa Kids, and the general "modern standard look" for the Mario characters.

Super Mario World gave us Yoshi, save games, and silly things like midway points.

Yoshi's Island gave us 100% completion requirements, fleshed out Yoshi flutter jumps, and... a lack of multiplayer.

Super Mario 64 gave us "objective based" gameplay, 3D worlds and mechanics, and the concept of a "health bar."

Super Mario Sunshine gave us...... ummm.... I'm not sure what it brought that was "new" to the table, really. Gadgets?

New Super Mario Bros. brought BACK traditional, SMB-style gameplay and mechanics... and not much else, really.

Super Mario Galaxy represents the best refinement of the SM64/SMS system... and the reintroduction of the Super Mushroom and Fire Flower to the series via 3D. Powers return!

New Super Mario Bros. Wii brings true multiplayer gaming to the Super Mario Bros. series.

Blueblur1 said:
Same goes for me. I've gotten 5 stars on my first file and I'm going through it again on a second file. I absolutely love this game.

How do you get five stars? I have 4 stars, and I've gotten every coin in the game. Do I have to buy those movies at the castle or something?

Anyway, as for the game I think it's a fine entry in the Mario series. Really, my biggest complaints are the two lame toads as players 3-4 (ok, so you're not going to use Peach, what about Toadette or something?) and no online co-op, which is beyond unforgivable. Otherwise it's a great game.

Fatalah

Whenever a new Mario sidescroller comes along, I always long for all the old suits to reappear. That's my one wish - Just throw them all in there!

new-super-mario-bros-wii-20091116030238758.jpg

untitled-3.jpg

new-super-mario-bros-wii-20091116030237165.jpg

y2dvd

My goty. I finally got to play 4 players total, 2 of them new to the game. I was laughing so hard from all the shenanigans going on I was crying. :'D Stealing power ups, lifting friends and throwing them towards baddies or down a pit, going too high up a stage and leaving anyone below to die, blocking a tricky jump, stealing Yoshis...good times!

So, is it just me or is World 6 a lot easier than World 5. I had a hell of a time getting through World 5, but I'm already most of the way through World 6, and I beat most of the levels in just two or three tries.

Fatalah said:
Whenever a new Mario sidescroller comes along, I always long for all the old suits to reappear. That's my one wish - Just throw them all in there!

new-super-mario-bros-wii-20091116030238758.jpg

untitled-3.jpg

new-super-mario-bros-wii-20091116030237165.jpg
Man, we keep getting (mostly) amazing new suits in every game! Cut them some slack.

Nintendo is such a tease, though, I know. Aside from Brawl (which included just about everything), they always seem to start from scratch with their new games. Maybe that's what keeps them so fresh?

Xeke

Banned
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Man, we keep getting (mostly) amazing new suits in every game! Cut them some slack.

Nintendo is such a tease, though, I know. Aside from Brawl (which included just about everything), they always seem to start from scratch with their new games. Maybe that's what keeps them so fresh?

Well except every item in Zelda and Metroid.

AniHawk

Haunted said:

Uh, there really weren't 120 platforming challenges in the game. The game should have had 80-90 stars, and all of them should have been original platforming stages (collecting shit doesn't count. Give me a better reason to do a long jump than to get a purple coin). Or better yet, it could have been paced more linearly like NSMBW is with progression from level to level.

3D Mario needs more of a change of pace than simply putting Mario in space. All the 2D games need are refinement and great level design and power ups since they don't rely on collectathons.

Haunted said:

Mario Galaxy backlash in full force.
I was only mentioned it because of the surprise and that "first time" experience I got from playing it, which is not what I got from NSMBW.
Not comparing the games at all, because they're too different.

DavidDayton said:
At the risk of being pendantic...

Donkey Kong began it all.

Mario Bros. gave us multiplayer.

Super Mario Bros. gave us the 2D, side scrolling, brick-smashing, power-up based gameplay.

Super Mario Bros. 2 / USA gave us multiplayer distinctions and a hefty emphasis on picking up items.

Super Mario Bros. 3 gave us the overworld, item inventory, flight, a "real" two player mode with an emphasis on competition, the Koopa Kids, and the general "modern standard look" for the Mario characters.

Super Mario World gave us Yoshi, save games, and silly things like midway points.

Yoshi's Island gave us 100% completion requirements, fleshed out Yoshi flutter jumps, and... a lack of multiplayer.

Super Mario 64 gave us "objective based" gameplay, 3D worlds and mechanics, and the concept of a "health bar."

Super Mario Sunshine gave us...... ummm.... I'm not sure what it brought that was "new" to the table, really. Gadgets?

New Super Mario Bros. brought BACK traditional, SMB-style gameplay and mechanics... and not much else, really.

Super Mario Galaxy represents the best refinement of the SM64/SMS system... and the reintroduction of the Super Mushroom and Fire Flower to the series via 3D. Powers return!

New Super Mario Bros. Wii brings true multiplayer gaming to the Super Mario Bros. series.

See, I don't have an opportunity to play this local multiplayer.. So can't comment on that.
I've said my piece about the single player. So I won't keep going back. There are people who disagree with me. No surprise.

Kronotech

Just started playing last night with my buddy. We had a blast but had frustrations with the head jumps. Too many deaths from jumping on each other.

Overall, I love Nintendo for bringing us this game.

BowieZ

Banned
Last night I wrote this music/remix for the NewerSMBWii fan sequel. For a tropical beach level in the Yoshi's Island world. What do you think?

BowieZ

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Theres a point just past the halfway mark where a few of the bwah's sound out of place. Other than that, great!
Thanks bro -- can't really hear which ones you mean -- do you mean halfway thru the loop or the whole track
(even tho the second loop is actually different)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Um, I couldn't get a time reading on the quicktime player in browser. I'll download it, let you know.
EDIT: Okay, just my opinion, but I'd get rid of the one at 0:39. It seems out of place; I don't have the music terminology to describe it properly, except that all the others usually fall in a "lull" or when the music is "down", while that one just seems randomly in the middle.

BowieZ

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Um, I couldn't get a time reading on the quicktime player in browser. I'll download it, let you know.
EDIT: Okay, just my opinion, but I'd get rid of the one at 0:39. It seems out of place; I don't have the music terminology to describe it properly, except that all the others usually fall in a "lull" or when the music is "down", while that one just seems randomly in the middle.
Thanks dude.

Just did this: World 2 Map Theme - "Sewer System"

samratty

The SMB3 remix needs a lot of work imo. Although I do like the base idea.

The sewer system tune however, is really really good. I can't pinpoint anything I'd change.

My girlfriend and I are currently at world 8, and rather than complete the game, we're on the hunt for coins. It's going pretty well, which means we're starting to spend them, but there's a lot of ????s in the video castle and I was wondering how we unlock those? We've got every coin in World 1, for example, but haven't unlocked every video?

BowieZ

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
My girlfriend and I are currently at world 8, and rather than complete the game, we're on the hunt for coins. It's going pretty well, which means we're starting to spend them, but there's a lot of ????s in the video castle and I was wondering how we unlock those? We've got every coin in World 1, for example, but haven't unlocked every video?
Welcome to my world. I've got 5 stars, the "completed EVERYTHING in NSMBW" and still there's about 3 videos yet locked. I'm stumped.

Picked this up yesterday. Enjoying it so far.

Multiplayer is a blast, only played half of world one though (2 players). I'm finding single player rather difficult though, just beat world 2.

I'm getting all the star coins along the way, that is where the majority of the difficulty is coming from. I've used a guide twice(trying to find as many as possible without any help). One time a coin was somewhere I would swear I checked and died so I never tried again. The other was a hint movie for level 2-1 or 2-2 IIRC, a coin you had to throw a shell at (don't know why I didn't put this together). Took me many tries to get it, too many really.

I don't have very much experience with 2D Mario games, so maybe I'm just learning. I do feel I'm getting the hang of it though. Strangely enough when I'm having a hard time I find it helpful to mute the game (sounds blasphemous I know), helps me concentrate better I guess? (I've done this with other games too)

Visually it looks better than I thought it would, the only objects that show a lot of aliasing are the player characters.

I see this game taking my quite some time to complete. Other than the star coin, are there any other collectible items?

Top Bottom