• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Dabookerman said:
Second of all, the propeller power up. Once again, Nintendo and their persistence of not allowing a button option (unless there is one, then I apologies). I died few too many times trying to get coins using it, shaking the stupid wiimote for it not to respond. I don't want the thing working 95% of the time. I want it to respond 100% of the time. The only clever use was the platforms that tilt.. otherwise, silly alternatives.

Your remote must be not working properly or you must not be, not once did it not do the "move" when I shook it.

Otherwise, I like how you made light of the difficulty yet then you praised Galaxy after it and Galaxy is a much easier game.

As far as the music and level themes go, you'll never win with the fans as they obviously weren't lazy(this is their big game last year, they could have done all new music and levels), they went the nostalgia route because that is so beloved from Mario games of the past and they have always done that for the Mario games(did you hate it in Mario 64????).

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to but I personally believe it's a disservice that the only thing you really mentioned cool about it was the end boss but opinions are opinions.

The level design isn't always immediately genius until you find everything by the way.

Honestly people complaining about the motion controls are just silly. They might not be some innovative crazy use but there is a really obvious purpose for it.

It allows more actions without requiring more buttons. How would you propose they handle picking objects up? Hold both the 1 and 2 buttons? Use the B button which is kind of inconvenient? Force everyone to use the Nunchuck?

Instead they decided to combine one of the 2 main buttons and a shake of the controller.

I just don't understand how you think they could keep the button layout simple and still allow more complex moves like the air-spin.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Honestly people complaining about the motion controls are just silly. They might not be some innovative crazy use but there is a really obvious purpose for it.

This about sums it all up for me, I think the first game to really show you how they can really make it define a game will be the next Zelda.

It hasn't been anything groundbreaking as of yet but they have this new way to control games so why would they just make every game have options to play them exactly the same way all over again??? THAT'S recycling.

I have said this before but besides that one boss, the motion controls added more than they detracted for me but many seem to outright hate motion controls even when used in subtle form or quantities.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Your remote must be not working properly or you must not be, not once did it not do the "move" when I shook it.

Otherwise, I like how you made light of the difficulty yet then you praised Galaxy after it and Galaxy is a much easier game.

As far as the music and level themes go, you'll never win with the fans as they obviously weren't lazy(this is their big game last year, they could have done all new music and levels), they went the nostalgia route because that is so beloved from Mario games of the past and they have always done that for the Mario games(did you hate it in Mario 64????).

It's perfectly fine if you didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to but I personally believe it's a disservice that the only thing you really mentioned cool about it was the end boss but opinions are opinions.

The level design isn't always immediately genius until you find everything by the way.

I praised Galaxy because it was fresh and new. NSMB wii was not fresh and new. I completed it in two sittings. And it felt like I've played this game before numerous times. I was hoping the game would be hard so it wouldn't take me so long to complete.

The way I see this game is more, it's Mario for the younger audience, so they get that feeling that my generation did when they first played a Mario game 20 years ago. The multiplayer was to get everyone else in on it. That's how I see it.

BudokaiMR2 said:

I'm not complaining about the "innovation". I'm complaining at motion controls when they just swap simple button press gestures with shake the wii mote. I already mentioned that tilting the platforms was a neat touch, because there's no way to do that with buttons in a easier way. Also picking up items would have been done with the run button in previous games, instead they removed that and had you shake the wiimote again for no particular reason. It adds nothing. But this isn't a complaint that is isolated to Mario.. it's with almost every Wii game i've played. Swapping a simple button press move to shake the wiimote is not new and innovative, it's tacked on.

Dabookerman said:
Also picking up items would have been done with the run button in previous games, instead they removed that and had you shake the wiimote again for no particular reason. It adds nothing.

Imagine a situation in a 4 player game. All of you stand next to each other on a narrow platform and prepare for a jump. If you press the run button now, you would pick up your mate immediately. That's one situation I can think of.
There ARE reasons for the need of a different solution, sometimes they are not so obvious but they are valid.

:Motorbass said:
Imagine a situation in a 4 player game. All of you stand next to each other on a narrow platform and prepare for a jump. If you press the run button now, you would pick up your mate immediately. That's one situation I can think of.
There ARE reasons for the need of a different solution, sometimes they are not so obvious but they are valid.

I like the solutions where everyones a winner.

Mantorok

sillymonkey321 said:
This game just isn't fun in co-op. I think he's enjoying it perhaps despite the frustration but whenever we play it boils down to:

1) Get in each others way and cause many deaths.

2) Stay out of each others way and move through the level so slowly it sucks all the spontaneous fun out of the game.

:lol this is the exact reason why I AM having fun with this game, it's a damn riot, I just wish I could get 4 people together (but 2 is still a blast). I love all the blame thrown around for deaths, and actually having to stop and think a bit more about how to approach each section of a level not only extends your play time but gives you more of a challenge.

Me thinks you're missing the point somewhere...

Mantorok

EatChildren said:
The multiplayer reminds me of what Valve said when they were asked why they chose the current art style for Team Fortress 2. They said multiplayer gaming, no matter how serious the context, is inheritably funny. Funny, unbelievable shit happens due to the game environment and everybody laughs. They chose that art style to encourage a more relaxed, humorous tone to the game world.

NSMB Wii is pretty much exactly the same. In reality, the multiplayer will have you consistently dieing, screwing up, and deliberately hindering other players that are ultimately trying to accomplish the exact same goal. In a single player scenario dieing becomes frustrating, whereas in multiplayer its hilarious.

It's like a slapstick duo, the characters like Ren & Stimpy constantly doing each other over despite being a 'team'. You can lose tons of lives on a single level and laugh the whole time.

That's what makes it so great.

Couldn't have put it better.

Korey

My sister got me this game for Christmas but I haven't yet opened it up (have to take out my wii, etc). How is this game singleplayerwise? Is it similar in scope to Super Mario World/3?

jarosh

Korey said:
My sister got me this game for Christmas but I haven't yet opened it up (have to take out my wii, etc). How is this game singleplayerwise? Is it similar in scope to Super Mario World/3?
yes

Just got this for Christmas, and I'm already having trouble. I'm finding World 2 frustratingly hard and I've been gaming since the Odyssey2.

I think my skills are declining with old age.

zigg

Dabookerman said:
I'm not complaining about the "innovation". I'm complaining at motion controls when they just swap simple button press gestures with shake the wii mote. I already mentioned that tilting the platforms was a neat touch, because there's no way to do that with buttons in a easier way. Also picking up items would have been done with the run button in previous games, instead they removed that and had you shake the wiimote again for no particular reason. It adds nothing. But this isn't a complaint that is isolated to Mario.. it's with almost every Wii game i've played. Swapping a simple button press move to shake the wiimote is not new and innovative, it's tacked on.

The whole grab thing is a little troublesome. The dash button was overloaded a little too much in SMB3. I'm one of those people who loves to blast through levels at full-tilt, B all the way (which is probably one of the reasons I wasn't such a big fan of the "let's wander around looking for stars" that was prominent in 64 and Sunshine.) Problem was that I would then accidentally grab all sorts of things. It was great for running through a stopped Koopa shell and grabbing it on the way (and I believe that still works, doesn't it?) but I kept having to stop, slow down, and navigate around things.

The solution for NSMBW is the spin move, which turns out to be a far more efficient way to explicitly grab items without having to really stop dead and shuffle around... it's more fluid, IMO. It's not "shake to grab", it's "shake to spin" and spinning when next to an item causes an explicit grab. It's not a totally perfect solution for grabbing; a third button might have probably worked out pretty well and allowed for a grab mid-run, except of course that the Remote's B isn't really all that good of a button in the sideways configuration—so what do you map it to?

It is fantastic when it comes to just general spins—particularly mid-air—though. I wouldn't have that part any other way.

twenty1

Banned
Really the experience would've been much more enjoyable if I could just use "B" to grab like any other Mario even NSMB DS had the "B" for that use.

Shaking to grab is "tacked" on plain and simple!

zigg

twenty1 said:
Shaking to grab is "tacked" on plain and simple!

No, it's "not"!

I just went into huge detail what the problem with dash-grab was above, but to make it really simple:

If holding down B meant you grabbed everything in your path in this game, you'd be grabbing tons of things you didn't mean to.

Particularly as so much more is grabbable!

megashock5 said:
Just got this for Christmas, and I'm already having trouble. I'm finding World 2 frustratingly hard and I've been gaming since the Odyssey2.

I think my skills are declining with old age.

What exactly are you having problems with? Are you playing on single or multiplayer?

zigg said:
so what do you map it to?

Offer different control methods, like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. It's a no lose situation, no cause for complaints. And it's pretty damn simple. People who enjoy wiimote can stick with their shaking, and people who don't can stick with their standard control methods. It really is the most easiest solution. No harm in offering it.

Kishgal

Banned
I turned on the game this morning to play a little bit, and ended up just sitting listening to the
world 9
music for like 10 minutes. It's so cool.

gamergirly said:
What exactly are you having problems with? Are you playing on single or multiplayer?

Just basic stuff, I'm finding it hard to jump and land where there's not an enemy, they're everywhere. And I'm playing single player. I tried playing with my son, but he just kept flying forward while I was trying to get power-ups and killing me by going too far ahead :lol

zigg

Dabookerman said:
Offer different control methods, like Smash Bros and Mario Kart. It's a no lose situation, no cause for complaints. And it's pretty damn simple. People who enjoy wiimote can stick with their shaking, and people who don't can stick with their standard control methods. It really is the most easiest solution. No harm in offering it.

Granted, but none of those alt schemes offer tilt for the various platforms. Which is pretty important, and I honestly don't see those working with shoulder buttons. If I had three thumbs, maybe the right analog? :D

upandaway

zigg said:
Granted, but none of those alt schemes offer tilt for the various platforms. Which is pretty important, and I honestly don't see those working with shoulder buttons. If I had three thumbs, maybe the right analog? :D
Spin can definitely be done with a button and the cave flashlight with the L/R for up/down.

They can even block those controllers from playing specific levels that require motion like the flashlight level. "This level can't be played with the "Classic" control scheme."
That's STILL better than what they chose to do.

Dunlop

Tenbatsu said:
I thought the motion controls for this game is pretty spot on? Why are people complaining?

I quite like them for once in a Wii game.

I've been playing this game with my wife, on my DS I can save games by using up coins.

Is there an option to do that or something similar, or do you always have to beat a castle?

Kishgal

Banned
upandaway said:
Spin can definitely be done with a button and the cave flashlight with the L/R for up/down.

They can even block those controllers from playing specific levels that require motion like the flashlight level. "This level can't be played with the "Classic" control scheme."
That's STILL better than what they chose to do.
Making the player change controllers between levels is terrible.

upandaway

Dunlop said:
I quite like them for once in a Wii game.

I've been playing this game with my wife, on my DS I can save games by using up coins.

Is there an option to do that or something similar, or do you always have to beat a castle?
You can press + and click "quick save". It lets you quit the game while retaining your current everything, thought it's deleted whenever you boot it up, so no abusing to avoid game overs.

Kishgal said:
Making the player change controllers between levels is terrible.
Making? They give the player more choice of control for nearly all of the levels. I swear you guys have a way of making everything sound bad.

Dunlop

upandaway said:
You can press + and click "quick save". It lets you quit the game while retaining your current everything, thought it's deleted whenever you boot it up, so no abusing to avoid game overs.

thanks!

I should probably notice this, but I had purchased the game for my kids who removed the instructions...which I think I threw out with the 9 tons of paper in the recycling bin

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dabookerman said:
NSMB wii was not fresh and new.

Alright, I'm about to tear into you, so let me apologize for being an ass in advance.

WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK DID YOU EXPECT FORM A GAME CALLED "NEW SUPER MARIO BROS".

It's fucking 2d Mario, revisited. With the exception of Mario World 2 and Doku Doku Mario they are all roughly the same. You have the same basic level types in every single one of the games. The only real differences between the games is the power ups that were made available. I could see if you didn't like the powerups in this one.. I thought they were pretty weak outside of the prop hat (and I think the developers did too since they really limited mini mario and penguin mario to a few levels)

The game was marketed as a successor to the old school 2d Mario games... and it is. Go play Super Mario World or Mario 3. It feels very much the same. That's the point. It's been 18 years since we have had a proper 2d Mario game released on a home console. Hell, it's been 18 years since we have had a good original old school Mario game put out. I love Mario World 2, but it is a completely different game.

You are essentially complaining about what exactly? That the game does what it set out to do?

You also bitch about the motion controls but you keep pointing out how easy the game was and you finished it in two sittings, so they really couldn't have given you too much of a problem.

I also don't see how this could be rated as the worst Mario game of all time. The Mario Land titles were significantly worse than this.. as was NSMB: DS. Unless you are a masochist this game is also better than the Lost Levels.

If you like 2d Mario games you will like this game. For the last 10 years the only 2d Mario we have gotten are either RPG or re-releases of the old school Mario games on portable consoles. Or Mario Bros DS which was insanely easy. This game is an absolute revelation. Go play SMB3 or Super Mario World. This game feels and plays in the exact same vein as those classics.

Zzoram

Excellent, excellent game. World
9, particularly 9-7
was insanely hard but beautifully designed.

I finally managed to get a 5-star profile, and I'm so happy.

Somnid

Good God, my sister and dad play this all the time and haven't had a problem with the controls and yet it's a bunch of hardcore gamers that are seemingly a bunch of babies about it. Leveling the playing field indeed. Well played Iwata.

StoOgE

Somnid said:
Good God, my sister and dad play this all the time and haven't had a problem with the controls and yet it's a bunch of hardcore gamers that are seemingly a bunch of babies about it. Leveling the playing field indeed. Well played Iwata.

I didn't like the pick up motion the first few times I tried it. By the end of the game it was really natural.

I also agree with an earlier poster, it is much better than the run/pickup button being the same a la Mario Bros 3.

theluma

Oh God. Please. Some tips for
9-7 third coin

EDIT:NVM
Kill the first hammer bro, wait for the second one to destroy enough ice but not too much and kill him, before carefully grabbing the coin.

Somnid

It's just like SMB3 because the only things I can recall being able to pick up in that game were shells and bob-ombs which you still pick up by just holding 1. The shake pickup is for large objects that Mario holds over his head. You guys are making shit up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Somnid said:

LOL ain't it the truth.

Hardcore gamers have serious entitlement issues. I'm sure there's some guys out there bitching that Wii Sports Resort should have a control scheme option that uses the Gamecube controller and has no f**king waggle.

I still think a lot of guys bitch about motion controls because they shake controllers around violently or something and can't help themselves. I personally know one guy who has broken three gamecube controllers including a poor, innocent wavebird ( :( ) because he plays Mario Kart with "I HAVE FURY!" intensity.

StoOgE said:
Alright, I'm about to tear into you, so let me apologize for being an ass in advance.

WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK DID YOU EXPECT FORM A GAME CALLED "NEW SUPER MARIO BROS".

It's fucking 2d Mario, revisited. With the exception of Mario World 2 and Doku Doku Mario they are all roughly the same. You have the same basic level types in every single one of the games. The only real differences between the games is the power ups that were made available. I could see if you didn't like the powerups in this one.. I thought they were pretty weak outside of the prop hat (and I think the developers did too since they really limited mini mario and penguin mario to a few levels)

The game was marketed as a successor to the old school 2d Mario games... and it is. Go play Super Mario World or Mario 3. It feels very much the same. That's the point. It's been 18 years since we have had a proper 2d Mario game released on a home console. Hell, it's been 18 years since we have had a good original old school Mario game put out. I love Mario World 2, but it is a completely different game.

You are essentially complaining about what exactly? That the game does what it set out to do?

You also bitch about the motion controls but you keep pointing out how easy the game was and you finished it in two sittings, so they really couldn't have given you too much of a problem.

I also don't see how this could be rated as the worst Mario game of all time. The Mario Land titles were significantly worse than this.. as was NSMB: DS. Unless you are a masochist this game is also better than the Lost Levels.

If you like 2d Mario games you will like this game. For the last 10 years the only 2d Mario we have gotten are either RPG or re-releases of the old school Mario games on portable consoles. Or Mario Bros DS which was insanely easy. This game is an absolute revelation. Go play SMB3 or Super Mario World. This game feels and plays in the exact same vein as those classics.

Well let's consider the 2D Mario games shall we?
Mario Bros began it all
Mario 3 gave us the overworld, and many awesome power ups.
Mario World gave us Yoshi

NSMB Wii is pretty much a rehash of all of that. I am not saying it is a bad game. It is a very good game, much like Twilight Princess is a very good game. I only bring up TP btw, because I feel the same about this as I do about NSMB Wii. It's just the same game as all the previous iterations. It does nothing to wow me like the previous versions. If it's sole purpose was to .. what, be a game full of fan service, well, it could have done a better job frankly. To me Mario games are all about doing new interesting things. To me, this game just seems very safe and manufactured. Really didn't seem like much thought was put behind it.

It's great that you enjoyed it, but I would have liked to of seen something new and interesting. Mario Galaxy did that. Perhaps if NSMB Wii did some neat things with the physics, push the envelope with the platforming. It does none of that. It's all pretty predictable, like the older Bond movies. You know exactly what to expect, as soon as I saw the sand level, I knew the last level would be a Lava themed level, there would be a snow level, a forest level, a sky level.. I mean I hate predicting things. Which is why I enjoyed the final boss, because I did not predict that. I like being surprised, and there was none of that in this.

I never looked into this game.. so I didn't know what to expect. All I heard was that it wasn't a port of the DS version, and that it had all new single player levels. That for me was enough. If I had known it was pretty much the same, almost entirely as all the previous games, I probably wouldn't have bothered to play the game.

Finally, regarding the controls.. I rarely had to use the waggle, because most of the levels don't require you to. When they do, to pick up items, and most importantly fly with the prop hat, to get coins for example, I died a couple of times because of the timing of the waggle motion was off or whatever excuse the thing had. It wasn't difficult, it was pretty easy. It was easy for me, because I was so used to it all.

StoOgE

Dabookerman said:
NSMB Wii is pretty much a rehash of all of that. I am not saying it is a bad game. It is a very good game, much like Twilight Princess is a very good game. I only bring up TP btw, because I feel the same about this as I do about NSMB Wii. It's just the same game as all the previous iterations. It does nothing to wow me like the previous versions. If it's sole purpose was to .. what, be a game full of fan service, well, it could have done a better job frankly. To me Mario games are all about doing new interesting things. To me, this game just seems very safe and manufactured. Really didn't seem like much thought was put behind it.

So, Yoshi is more innovative than new powerups? or some of the waggle controls? Super Mario World is essentially Super Mario Bros 3 with a better overworld, hidden paths and different power ups.

I'm not really sure what you want from this game. The entire point of it is to feel like an old-school Mario game. You are acting like this is a tired cash in like one of Ubisofts annual sequels.. It's been 18 years since we got a 2d Mario game... most of us were happy with a new itteration.

jman2050

You do realize it's GAF's MO to nitpick the hell out of top-tier games for no other reason than the fact that lavishly praising it would be boring, right?

StoOgE said:
So, Yoshi is more innovative than new powerups? or some of the waggle controls? Super Mario World is essentially Super Mario Bros 3 with a better overworld, hidden paths and different power ups.

I'm not really sure what you want from this game. The entire point of it is to feel like an old-school Mario game. You are acting like this is a tired cash in like one of Ubisofts annual sequels.. It's been 18 years since we got a 2d Mario game... most of us were happy with a new itteration.

18 years, well the DS version may be on a handheld but it's still a 2D game, and let's not forget all the ported GBA versions. You're acting as there has been an 18 year absence of 2D Mario games when there has not. Mario World has loads of new and interesting elements, and designs over it's predecessor.

I already highlighted what I wanted.. New interesting worlds, surprise, challenging gameplay, being wowed from playing a Mario game like I had been with pretty much every other Mario game previously. Not the same old predictable types of world, with the same old predictable types of levels, and same old predictable types of bosses, (again highlighting that the final boss is exempt from these criticisms as I have already highlighted many times already).

How many people have said that they want a 2D version of Galaxy, because of the platforming physics? A new 2D Mario game with new physics to play around with, which leads to altogether new level designs and so forth. Something that's actually pushing the Wii outside of gimmicky button alternatives.

NSBM Wii is a game that could easily be done on the SNES.

jman2050 said:
You do realize it's GAF's MO to nitpick the hell out of top-tier games for no other reason than the fact that lavishly praising it would be boring, right?

As far as I can tell most of "GAF" is praising this game.

StoOgE

ZAK said:
...it's a 2D platformer. I mean, I'm just saying.

PHSX Chip. Destructable Environments!

It couldn't have been done on the SNES because several of the levels leaned heavily on motion controls to tilt or move platforms.. but that isn't innovation.. it was predictable. Based on all of the other levels just like them in the history of Mario Bos

Davey Cakes

Dabookerman said:
As far as I can tell most of "GAF" is praising this game.
I've been to multiple boards and the general consensus is that the game is definitely praise-worthy.

I mean, it's no mindlblowing 10/10, but it's just really really good for what it is.

Differing opinions are great. I especially like it when people critique games and actually have criticisms for even the most top-tier material out there. That said, for a game like NSMB Wii, I think the praise is more than well-deserved. It seems like all of the reasons that "dissenters" use for knocking the game down a peg are merely nitpicks.

People who praise the game:

-"It has really great and varied level design that never ceases from world to world."
-"It takes the base established by NSMB DS and uses it to make an even better culmination of all the things that makes Mario games good."
-"The multiplayer is hectic, hilarious, fun, and really adds value to the game."
-"The star coins are great incentive for replay, and help extend the level design and add challenge."
-"The game has a well-balanced difficulty which makes it enjoyable for pretty much everybody. It starts easy, ends hard. Perfect."

People who are more indifferent:

-"Yoshi isn't used enough and doesn't have powers."
-"There shouldn't be two toads."
-"I'd rather push buttons than use waggle."
-"The game is too easy (even though it's most certainly not)."
-"The game feels like a rehash (even though it's called "NEW" Super Mario Bros. for a reason)."
-"I don't like the "bah bah" and therefore the entire soundtrack is garbage."

JaseMath

Completed the game. It was fun, 2D Mario always is, but I don't understand the love affair. Also, this should have been on the DS. There is no reason this game needed to be on Wii at all other than to push consoles for the holidays. Just sayin'...

Davey Cakes

JasonMCG said:
Completed the game. It was fun, 2D Mario always is, but I don't understand the love affair. Also, this should have been on the DS. There is no reason this game needed to be on Wii at all other than to push consoles for the holidays. Just sayin'...
The multiplayer? Looks like some people don't see the significance in having simultaneous play in a Mario platformer as much as Nintendo (especially Miyamoto) does.

AniHawk

This is how I view the waggle in this game:

Picking up items: totally unnecessary- there's really no reason for this shit other than somebody might accidentally pick it up when they mean to step on something (like it's frozen on ice). Also, multiplayer would probably be a bit more difficult, but this could have been a "B/1 + Up" thing instead.
Propeller hat: Borderline- because getting extra airtime requires you shake the controller anyway, this is a bit more natural. It wasn't really all that necessary, but I don't see it as a major problem, especially if you're already midair when you shake the controller.
Extra air time spin: totally awesome- this is something people have been doing subconsciously since Super Mario Bros- jerking the controller to the right for a little extra momentum. Not only does it help save your ass in some situations, it feels really good to finally have that response happen in game. I know this was one of the things I wanted from Super Paper Mario and Wario Land. Just glad to see it actually happened in a 2D platforming Mario game.

Also the people who say this game doesn't do anything new really need to take a good hard look at the level design in this game and previous 2D Mario games and come to their senses. I know NSMBW is not a very good movie but that's because it's a video game.

JaseMath

Rash said:
The multiplayer? Looks like some people don't see the significance in having simultaneous play in a Mario platformer as much as Nintendo (especially Miyamoto) does.
After playing multiplayer w/both family and friends over the holidays, gotta say, the game is better suited as a single-player game. Multiplayer is hectic and fun, but I don't really think the game is really any better for it.

BowieZ

Banned
Love the contrast in responses to this game:

Yazus said:
Finished Level 9-8 now. Holy fuck. Played the whole game in multiplayer me and my best friend in two seats, with pizzas and coke and no sleep :lol !

Our fucking OCD instinct made us collect ALL the 3 coins before moving into the next level, but FUCK. This game is GENIOUS. Best Super Mario ever, for me. Better then SMG either.

Pure geniousness, the design of the levels could not have been better.
then immediately afterwards:

Dabookerman said:
Right, so have completed it, and I guess I will collect all the coins.. Interested to see the levels in world 9, will probably use a guide as I cannot be arsed.
I must say, I almost got bored and stopped playing it, but I thought I might as well stick with it. I guess the final boss makes up for it, as that was the only part of the game that I thought, Hey! This is pretty cool. Otherwise meh.
Recycled and annoying music throughout.
Far too much recycling going on. I mean, if you're gonna recycle worlds from the previous game, at least do one of the cooler ones like Big/Small worlds and pipe world and all those, not just generic sand level, generic ice level, so forth. It's all so predictable and grating.
Also regarding the difficulty.. this game is hard? Either I'm just used to Mario games, but it was pretty easy and straight forward. A couple of annoying levels that I made sure I got the 3 coins, so I wouldn't have to do them again, but they were mainly the sloowwww levels.
I'm surprised people are saying it's better than galaxy.. I can't see how. Unless they just prefer 2D over 3D, which in this case, NSMB Wii isn't the best of either.
Galaxy was fresh, it was pretty to play, it was fun, the levels weren't entertaining, and it didn't bore me once, and I don't need to mention the glorious music.
I will compare this to Mario 3 and World, as those are what I think the best Mario games. World being my favourite due to it being the first game I ever owned, and thus holds that special place.
Where the fuck is my Yoshi? I can't even take him with me.. He's in it for like 2 or 3 levels. That's pathetic.
Second of all, the propeller power up. Once again, Nintendo and their persistence of not allowing a button option (unless there is one, then I apologies). I died few too many times trying to get coins using it, shaking the stupid wiimote for it not to respond. I don't want the thing working 95% of the time. I want it to respond 100% of the time. The only clever use was the platforms that tilt.. otherwise, silly alternatives.
I haven't played this in multiplayer, but I'm sure it will serve it's purpose as a silly knock about mini game if I ever do.
So yeah, not too impressed, all too easy and straight forward.. nothing surprising at all. I will say it looks nice enough, very clean and colorful and does a good job in that department, and of course, it's all polished gameplay wise. But that's to be expected.
I would probably rank this.. probably 6th or 7th in the list of Mario platform games I've played.. which is pretty much all of them.
(
JC.gif
)

Top Bottom