• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

I just got this game for Christmas and started playing it, and man is it awesome. I'm only through the first world so far, but it's definitely a blast. 2D Mario fun never gets old, and there are lots of new twists added here to elevate it even further.

Threi

notag
Also an aside: Is it just me or does the game make one person become "that guy" in the panels minigame in the red toad house? Always the guy that chooses the bowser/bowser jr panels.

It's almost as if they intentionally designed this game to ruin friendships :lol

Owzers

I'm on world 7 playing through the game with my brother and:

This game just isn't fun in co-op. I think he's enjoying it perhaps despite the frustration but whenever we play it boils down to:

1) Get in each others way and cause many deaths.

2) Stay out of each others way and move through the level so slowly it sucks all the spontaneous fun out of the game.

Also i'm finding the worlds to be meh at best, just not that interesting.

OnPoint

Threi said:
Also an aside: Is it just me or does the game make one person become "that guy" in the panels minigame in the red toad house? Always the guy that chooses the bowser/bowser jr panels.

It's almost as if they intentionally designed this game to ruin friendships :lol

Yeah, we played a 4 player session and I experienced the same thing. I ended up ending the mushrooms 3 in a row, then my friend did the following 3 in a row. It seems so intentional haha

methodman

Banned
OnPoint said:
Yeah, we played a 4 player session and I experienced the same thing. I ended up ending the mushrooms 3 in a row, then my friend did the following 3 in a row. It seems so intentional haha

Best part about those matching rooms is that you can butt stomp the person with the stars around him and take it away. We had 4 people butt stomping all over the place, took us like 10 minutes just to hit two bowsers.

Playing this with 4 people and Assassin's Creed 2 right now. Love it.

sillymonkey321 said:

This game just isn't fun in co-op. I think he's enjoying it perhaps despite the frustration but whenever we play it boils down to:

2) Stay out of each others way and move through the level so slowly it sucks all the spontaneous fun out of the game.

I'm the complete opposite, I have way more fun in coop than just playing by myself. Had a few gamer friends over the other night and we've never had more fun with a videogame together. The crazy deaths and learning to work together is what makes it so fun in my opinion.

sillymonkey321 said:

You have to actually play the game completely different since your character is an actual entity instead of just a walk through ghost. In order to run through stages more smoothly, you need to coordinate your movements, and to be honest, it will take some time. Its much harder with two people, but you can do some amazing things once you get it down.

sillymonkey321 said:

The whole fun of the game is "Get in each others way and cause many deaths", that's kinda the point but also IGN.com worthy as a quote.

BowieZ

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:

Yup, whenever I die in a video game, it's so jarring to my self-esteem and the blemish of a life lost so insulting to my obsessive compulsive perfectionism that I want to massacre puppies.

Not fun, indeed.

sillymonkey321 said:

this is just depressing

Just finished the game right now, I am going to work my way up World 9 now.

It's funny, the game felt all right when it started, but as I worked my way up the levels it got better and better. On world 8 I was honestly mind blown, and everything culminated into the last boss battle, which honestly has to be one of the best this gen so far. It wasn't PARTICULARLY difficult, but it felt so great! I honestly jumped out of the couch and went "OH SHIT!!!".

If I complete world 9, does it have a boss battle of it's own? Does it change anything on the ending of the game?

Threi

notag
Yeah I remember one of the castles I played in had extremely high jumps, and we all had no powerups. We had to make effective use of jumping on each other's head and bubbling ourselves to get up.

Quite an interesting experience.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
methodman said:
Best part about those matching rooms is that you can butt stomp the person with the stars around him and take it away. We had 4 people butt stomping all over the place, took us like 10 minutes just to hit two bowsers.

That made me chuckle. I didn't know you could that! I'll make sure to try that next time we play a Toad house game.

Playing this with 4 people and Assassin's Creed 2 right now. Love it.

So how does Assassin's Creed 2 like it?

I recently finally got the game and have to say that so far, it's really good.

Like someone said in a post on this page, it gets better and better, perfect "quality pacing".

I can't believe that some way back had issues with the motion controls as they never interfere with gameplay and I actually find them rewarding.

Not once did I do something I didn't want to do because of them but then again, people hate change and will complain about everything.

How many worlds exactly are in the game??? (I kind of wish there were 30)

9???

Maybe the old games were the same but the levels seem more obstacle coursey than worlds than in the past and I actually like this a great deal and it seems they won't lose anything with multiple players.

tenritsu

Banned
Sohter.Nura said:
...everything culminated into the last boss battle, which honestly has to be one of the best this gen so far. It wasn't PARTICULARLY difficult, but it felt so great! I honestly jumped out of the couch and went "OH SHIT!!!".

Bold statement but I completely agree. Playing through this was such a treat with my two other friends while six of my other firends watched on. The screaming and chatter at the very end of the battle was awesome. :D

teiresias

So this game is just as rewarding playing through it as a strictly single player game? Nintendo always pushed the whole multi-player thing, but as I never play with anyone it would be great to get a new, stellar 2D mario game to play.

JaseMath

So...my brother and I played through the first level and we both agree that the game felt "off". The controls don't feel tight - feel a bit floaty in fact. Especially after playing NSMB DS for the past 2 weeks. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but just sayin'...

teiresias said:
So this game is just as rewarding playing through it as a strictly single player game? Nintendo always pushed the whole multi-player thing, but as I never play with anyone it would be great to get a new, stellar 2D mario game to play.

People actually say it was designed as a single player game and the multiplayer aspect came later and while I believe this, many areas seem designed to accompany more than one player but that could be just the style and conducive to that.

I haven't played it with more than one player yet but it's great with one, doesn't seem like it's unoptimized that way.

Shiggy

Great controls, nice difficulty level and nice music and graphics. Played through it today (in multiplayer) and it is great - not as good as Super Mario Galaxy, but what other game is that good? Only real thing to criticise are the (repetitive) bosses.
And ... World 9 is too hard for me ;)

I really like the bosses as you keep playing, they seem a nod to the past games.

Surely they aren't as inventive as Galaxy's and Yoshi's Island but I like how they kept the tradition of the simple but fun boss fights.

I already want another Super Mario Bros. game with more selectable characters and Mii support as an end game bonus for player 2 and up (because Mario has to be there for it to be an athentic Mushroom hopping experience.) :D

Gowans

Got this for Christmas, love it!

My & The Mrs (who is much better) are taking turns.

We have a save for two player co-op too but far too stressful.

I'm only on world 2 and have turned it off a few times in a huff ;)

Kard8p3

JasonMCG said:
So...my brother and I played through the first level and we both agree that the game felt "off". The controls don't feel tight - feel a bit floaty in fact. Especially after playing NSMB DS for the past 2 weeks. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but just sayin'...

That's weird because I thought it felt just like NSMB DS.

leroidys

Is this the first Nintendo release to have a multicolored dvd? I've bought LOTS of first party wii games, and this is the only one I've noticed to have more than two colors.

Also, awesome game up to world 4. My girlfriend absolutely LOVES it.

Shiggy

leroidys said:
Is this the first Nintendo release to have a multicolored dvd? I've bought LOTS of first party wii games, and this is the only one I've noticed to have more than two colors.

Also, awesome game up to world 4. My girlfriend absolutely LOVES it.

They've changed it to multicolored DVDs earlier this year. I think Resident Evil 4 was my first multicolored one.

wow.

After clearing 3 worlds with 4-players it's clear this is one of the greatest multi-player games ever created... possibly even the greatest. I am beyond impressed.

Zzoram

Fighting Bowser was definitely the best boss battle I've ever played. Most boss battles are awful, giving the boss obscene amounts of health or making it an anticlimactic QTE. This boss battle required that you platform well, keeping true to the core gameplay mechanic.

Any tips on
9-7?
It's insanely hard to even beat, nevermind get all the star coins.

Zzoram

The beautiful box art of NSMB.Wii, combined with the name invoking nostalgia, quality gameplay, and unique red box will make this a top seller for years. It's the only non-white box in every Wii isle, so it stands out and will be the first choice for anyone browsing.

george_us

JasonMCG said:
This is my main complaint with the game as well. The characters feel way too fucking slippery. I know all of the Mario games have momentum but this is to the point where it feels like I'm skating on ice the entire time and its annoying as fuck. Shame really, since the level design has been excellent so far.

Lyude77

The_Technomancer said:
Hey, so, two quick questions?
Are there enough coins in the game to buy everything?
And what are the ???? slots in the shop?
1. Yes.
2. They are videos that you haven't unlocked yet (you need to complete stages, find secret exits, and get star coins to unlock them).

Forkball

I got five shiny stars a few days ago. It would have been damn near impossible for me to get the star coins in the final world. Such a fantastic game, and easily one of the best Mario platformers. Now I just need to buy two more controllers so I can finally play it with four people.

george_us

Ok I've gotten used to the controls so now I'm suddenly having a blast. I forgot just how tense and somewhat terrifying a Mario platformer could be.:lol

So far it's tied with the original Yoshi's Island for me as my favorite 2D platformer.

Grampasso

sillymonkey321 said:

Fail :/

Bluth54

gamergirly said:
I believe only Wiimote controllers(no nunchuk). There's no classic controllers for this either
You can also play with the nunchuck.

Personally I prefer the nunchuck controls except on levels that require you to use motion controls to move platforms, I find it's much easier to use the Wiimote in those levels.

Joei

Zzoram said:
Any tips on
9-7?
It's insanely hard to even beat, nevermind get all the star coins.

My only tip for that one is to practice. That level seriously took me hours to do everything. You don't ever really want to stop moving essentially, except to get the star coins. Then, after you get everything and have all the star coins in the game, go watch the run-through for that level in the movies section and prepare to have your game skills utterly humiliated, lol.

Finally got a chance to dig into this a bit after we gave it to my nephews for Christmas. They only have 2 Wiimotes so the three of us traded off playing it with two people. Only through most of world 2. It definitely seemed a bit more difficult in multi because you can get in each other's way but it also provided plenty of funny blooper moments. You never really run out of lives, so it's no big deal. And my nephews are little (5 and 7) so it wasn't exactly a "skill" run here. Definitely seems harder than the DS game, too, which is great to see.

Just a hell of a lot of fun, though. I loved the nostalgic music and sound cues. My fave is the original SMB clear music that (sometimes?) comes up after the flagpole. It sounds nice and "chippy" like they ripped it right out of the NES hardware. :D

RadarScope1 said:
Finally got a chance to dig into this a bit after we gave it to my nephews for Christmas. They only have 2 Wiimotes so the three of us traded off playing it with two people. Only through most of world 2. It definitely seemed a bit more difficult in multi because you can get in each other's way but it also provided plenty of funny blooper moments. You never really run out of lives, so it's no big deal. And my nephews are little (5 and 7) so it wasn't exactly a "skill" run here. Definitely seems harder than the DS game, too, which is great to see.

Just a hell of a lot of fun, though. I loved the nostalgic music and sound cues. My fave is the original SMB clear music that (sometimes?) comes up after the flagpole. It sounds nice and "chippy" like they ripped it right out of the NES hardware. :D

The more players, the more problems lol

You could have 3 hardcore Mario players but get each other killed constantly

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is very close to my game of the year at this point. The only flaws being a second Toad (should have been Peach) and the lack of online play. That second one is a big issue for me but the game is so GOD DAMN GOOD that I forget while I'm playing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The multiplayer reminds me of what Valve said when they were asked why they chose the current art style for Team Fortress 2. They said multiplayer gaming, no matter how serious the context, is inheritably funny. Funny, unbelievable shit happens due to the game environment and everybody laughs. They chose that art style to encourage a more relaxed, humorous tone to the game world.

NSMB Wii is pretty much exactly the same. In reality, the multiplayer will have you consistently dieing, screwing up, and deliberately hindering other players that are ultimately trying to accomplish the exact same goal. In a single player scenario dieing becomes frustrating, whereas in multiplayer its hilarious.

It's like a slapstick duo, the characters like Ren & Stimpy constantly doing each other over despite being a 'team'. You can lose tons of lives on a single level and laugh the whole time.

That's what makes it so great.

Evlar

Banned
RadarScope1 said:

It's the old-school fireworks music, and you get fireworks in the same manner as the original SMB.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just finished up world 8

...dyam! This game is so incredible, just as an overall package. It seems like every level has its own gimmick, to the point where I wish there were three times as many levels just to see where they could go if they developed some of these mechanics more.
On top of that, coin battles are the most multi-player fun I've had in ages.

The comparisons to Galaxy don't make a lot of objective sense though; they're very different games. I'd say they're equally fun, but in different ways. My personal preference is still sliiiightly towards Galaxy, but that's just me.
Love this game! :D

rhino4evr

I finally got all the coins in worlds 1-8, and unlocked all the "secret" levels.

Two things..

OMG - Level 8-7 is one of the best levels in ANY mario game. I can't believe they made it an "optional level" so very few casual gamers will ever see it. It's so much fun, I actually replayed it again right after finishing it. BRILLIANT

and Holy shit at World 9...for a LONG time, I had considered the "special" stages in Super Mario World to be the pinacle of 2-d platform challenge. Not any more. I've only played through the first 4 stages, but wow AWESOME.

Why do I ever doubt Nintendo?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just played some three-player co-op with a couple of mates. so much fun.

we spent most of the two or three hours we played searching for coins in world one, two and three. man, staying orientated in world 9-1 (the one we managed to unlock) with three-people
is just great. whoever green-lit the always available bubble-button is a genius.

Top Bottom