• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Are you joking? I can't tell. ME's average is somewhere below NMH's.

I just saw its score on gamerankings and..uh, nevermind. I thought it rated extremely high for some reason.

1. Bosses - The mid bossed where basically SMB3 clones while the end bosses where just mid boss with environmental change. Considering the advances with bosses we've been though in YI, YI DS, NSMB, 3d mario games its pretty lazy. Then you got the final boss which I swear I've encountered in numerous castlevania/megaman/sonic games except in those we actually got to fight the boss sometmes at the end.

Oh no u did ent.

The final battle is easily the most difficult and epic battle of all of the 2D Mario games.

Model 500

littlegator said:
There's a ton of major flaws in this game that really shouldn't have been in the game. One, the pausing. No, the game shouldn't pause whenever someone dies or picks up an item. That's disruptive to everyone who didn't cause the pausing. Two, player collisions should definitely have been worked on. Jumping on a players head shouldn't cancel any of their upward momentum, nor should players be able to run into each other while running. Jumping off a players head should only happen when deliberately planned, and there should be a way to stand next to players (i.e. In the pits of one of the earlier levels, there's thwomps above. Only 2 players can fit into the pit, and the other 2 are futilely bouncing on the others' heads).

Trurl said:
What you call flaws, I call fun.

Yep, same here. I'm actually astounded that someone could call these flaws...well, we're all different.

finished world 8 today. The last level was a blast. Wow, so awesome.
And so were the credits. I did not realize I can walk and destroy blocks til like halfway through :D First shiny star now :)

I so LOVE this game.

LosDaddie

Banned
The problem with playing this game co-op only is when your partner doesn't want to play.

The wife & I are still on World 3 and haven't played it in about a week :( :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gryphter said:
just beat world 8, wow what a ride. tell me, is it worth getting all the star coins for
the stages in world 9?

Do you like joy?

If so, yes.

LosDaddie said:
The problem with playing this game co-op only is when your partner doesn't want to play.

The wife & I are still on World 3 and haven't played it in about a week :( :(

You can make another save file and play behind her back...

AniHawk

Gryphter said:
just beat world 8, wow what a ride. tell me, is it worth getting all the star coins for
the stages in world 9?

Yes for two reasons:

1. It's an awesome world with awesome and hard levels.
2. Getting the coins puts a spin on the levels you've already visited. They become more exploration based.

Yackie

Why is this game so hard for me?! I need to put my game face on and take this game more seriously, I think. I've died so many times and it made me so mad when I got a game over
in world 3 lol (fuck that ice!)
that I haven't played since.

upandaway

AniHawk said:
Yes for two reasons:

2. Getting the coins puts a spin on the levels you've already visited. They become more exploration based.
And they also become far, far harder.

Not that I played the levels without going for coins, but just looking at the design you can see that some of them are really out of the way (and even if they aren't, if you don't know where they are stalling makes the level harder too).

Just beat the game, World 9 opened instantly, and me and my buddy decided to have a go at that too. 1, 2 and 3 were pretty easy (hard, but not to my expectations), so after getting stumped by 4 for a while we decided to jump to 8 for kicks. Turns out 9-8 is
the easiest level in World 9
8-7 and the final level in world 8 were both really awesome. Bowser particularly was the most fun Bowser I've ever fought (though I don't know how much fun other Bowser fights are with one extra player).

Yackie said:
Why is this game so hard for me?! I need to put my game face on and take this game more seriously, I think. I've died so many times and it made me so mad when I got a game over
in world 3 lol (fuck that ice!)
that I haven't played since.
Either you die a lot and not budge at all from the chair, or you die very little and feel like ripping your ear every time you die. Those are the only two ways you can play to finish the game.

If anyone in San Diego, CA is trying to look for this game, they can find it at the Fry's Electronics in Mission Valley. They had tons of them last night.

Koren

AniHawk said:
Yes for two reasons:

I found star pieces being pretty easy to find 99% of the time (maybe I'm getting accustomed to their tricks), and I'm usually finishing the level for the first time with all three (some of them woul be interesting to get, but propulsor mushroom helps too much for some of them). I'm actively looking for them on my first playthrough, though.

But I'm surprised that I've trouble finding a couple of alternate exits... (like canon in world 3 or secret path in world 7) Don't want any clue, btw, but there's a couple of clever secrets indeed.

gkryhewy

Need a really quick answer:

In a 2-player game, if both players enter the stage with 1 life, is there any "safe" way to play the level (i.e., to avoid losing progress upon death)? I.e., can we have 1 player stay in a bubble -- would that kick back out to the menu upon death of the other player (and enable continues), or would the player in the bubble also lose a life?

Joei

DancingJesus said:
[*]Eight Worlds to traverse and over 80 levels to explore.

I'm not sure if this was asked or addressed earlier in this thread, but...

am I missing something? I've got all the star coins and I believe all the secret exits, and I have all 8 levels unlocked in World 9, and I've only counted 77 levels. Did I maybe miss some secret exits for more levels (like what was done in worlds 7 and 8) or something else? Or are there more levels if I further get all the star coins? I've got all 3 in every level except for a level in world 9.

methodman

Banned
Man why the hell is this fucking game sold out every where? I checked at least 20 stores in San Jose, CA, and can't find it anywhere. Trying to get one for my cousin's Christmas present.

OMG Aero

Joei said:
I'm not sure if this was asked or addressed earlier in this thread, but...

am I missing something? I've got all the star coins and I believe all the secret exits, and I have all 8 levels unlocked in World 9, and I've only counted 77 levels. Did I maybe miss some secret exits for more levels (like what was done in worlds 7 and 8) or something else? Or are there more levels if I further get all the star coins? I've got all 3 in every level except for a level in world 9.
They probably counted the world map enemy encounters like the bullet bills in world 6 as levels.

jibblypop

Banned
I finally got the 5 shiny stars rating. It took me longer than I thought it would which is a great indicator of the difficulty level of this game.

This was one of the best games I've played in years. I only rated A Boy and His Blob higher in my game of 2009 list.

Anyone who doesn't have this that likes Mario games should buy it right away.

mugwhump

Friend: "Hey look you can turn into a bubble!"
Other Friend: "Oh shit ima be a bubble too!"
Me: "Sweet me too!"
Me: "...wait a second, fuck"
*Game Over*

Joei

OMG Aero said:
They probably counted the world map enemy encounters like the bullet bills in world 6 as levels.

Ah, they may have. Anywho, I finally got all the star coins! Those in level
9-7 were a pain!
I thought that was the hardest level in the game, then to place those stars where they were was just brutal, lol. Overall, I enjoyed the game so much, but it's finally coming out of my Wii. It's so sad that it's over. :(

I'm trying to get the sparkling stars but I just died 8 times and the super guide block appeared. I haven't saved the game after that, could I just reset the game and go back to my last save and still get the sparkling stars? Or do I have to start all over?

jarosh

Sir Alemeth said:
I'm trying to get the sparkling stars but I just died 8 times and the super guide block appeared. I haven't saved the game after that, could I just reset the game and go back to my last save and still get the sparkling stars?
yes

rhino4evr

So ive been slowly making my way through the game and collecting the rest of the coins..some of them are really well hidden. I have all the coins up to World 5 right now..still havent played any of World 9, and am missing some "normal" stages in a few levels.

For anyone interested, I was at GameStop today (near Cincinnati, OH) and the dude was putting dozens of copies on the shelf. So if you're still looking, you may find it.

Has this happened to anyone here? In an attempt to get all the star coins, I must have died more than 8 times at a check point...so going back to the level anticipating the Super Guide Block to appear only to find out it never did appear......has this happened to any of you? I did save afterward so I hope I'm okay and will still get the sparkling stars....

Joei

Sir Alemeth said:
Has this happened to anyone here? In an attempt to get all the star coins, I must have died more than 8 times at a check point...so going back to the level anticipating the Super Guide Block to appear only to find out it never did appear......has this happened to any of you? I did save afterward so I hope I'm okay and will still get the sparkling stars....

I'm not sure if I was at the halfway point, but there are times where I swear I died more than 8 times and the block never appeared.

Threi

notag
finally got to play this game multiplayer...

wow. Super Mario Bros. Asshole indeed :lol

The game is infinitely more fun multiplayer, and despite being able to bubble yourself at will (which happens when the players just get lazy and let one guy do it) the game is still pretty hard, just for that fact that there is so much going on and your jumps are risky if you bump into someone else. The fight to get the top spot on a flagpole, getting the best powerup first, making a human tower to reach secrets hidden at the top, attempted "synchronous speedrunning"...it's all so good :lol

It's also quite entertaining to watch, especially laughing at moments like Mario and Luigi jumping off a moving platform, bouncing off yellow toad's head sending him to die :lol

8-7 on multiplayer is godly

Finally beat 8-Castle, what a fantastic boss fight. Working on
world 9
now. This is definitely one of the best games of the gen for me.

So despite being 19 and Christmas now being a somewhat less magical day, playing this for the time this morning fills me with all sorts of undescribable joy.

I will be playing it all day. Can't wait to troll my brother when he comes over later, and then my girlfriend in a few days. I'm hoping it will compare to LittleBigPlanet in terms of co-op fun. :D

soldat7

Hm...I'm not keen on these controls yet. They feel somewhat drenched in molasses. The default walk speed is too slow and jumping feels off. Multiplayer is an exercise in frustration. I hope I warm up to this game a bit more...

Is nunchuck preferred? Tilting the Wii controller is annoying.

HUELEN10

soldat7 said:
Hm...I'm not keen on these controls yet. They feel somewhat drenched in molasses. The default walk speed is too slow and jumping feels off. Multiplayer is an exercise in frustration. I hope I warm up to this game a bit more...

Is nunchuck preferred? Tilting the Wii controller is annoying.
Some people like the Nunchuck, but I wouldn't recommend it due it being analog and all, while the game is made with digital controls in mind. You do however get an option to run without grabbing stuff, so that may prove useful to you. Try them both and see.

As for you not being keen on controls, give it about half an hour, the learning curve's not that steep.

HUELEN10

soldat7 said:
Lost my save game progress...When prompted to save, am I not allowed to hit ether 1 or 2? Does one need to press A?
2 and A tend to be the same thing in this game, depending on your control method of course! To confirm, press 2 or A, not 1 or B!

soldat7

HUELEN10 said:
If you don't mind me asking, and please do not take any offense to this, what is your experience with prior Mario outings?

I've played virtually every single Mario game on planet Earth and have been gaming for over 20 years. Tilting the Wii-mote sideways and then requiring me to hit A or 2 (and not prompting me on the screen, when just about everything else has a prompt), is an interface misstep. My kids played for over an hour and lost all their progress. I played for about 30 minutes and lost my progress. Pressing 1 feels like the right button to press when saving your game, IMO.

HUELEN10

soldat7 said:
I've played virtually every single Mario game on planet Earth and have been gaming for over 20 years. Tilting the Wii-mote sideways and then requiring me to hit A or 2 (and not prompting me on the screen, when just about everything else has a prompt), is an interface misstep. My kids played for over an hour and lost all their progress. I played for about 30 minutes and lost my progress. Pressing 1 feels like the right button to press when saving your game, IMO.
Ah, I see. Merely curious is all. At least you lost your progress now, and not later! That's one thing to be thankful about.

soldat7

HUELEN10 said:
Ah, I see. Merely curious is all. At least you lost your progress now, and not later! That's one thing to be thankful about.

K. Played again up to the first save opportunity. It definitely does not tell you which button to press when saving. If you hit one of the 'cancel' buttons, it should prompt you, IMO. But yes, thankfully I didn't sit down and play for 3 hours before realizing this ;)

I'm warming up to the controls but I do wish they were a bit snappier. Even holding 1 to run the whole time feels a bit slower than I'd like.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This game is definitely awesome, but I don't see a good reason for the disconnect between the huge praise for this and the lukewarm reception for NSMB on the DS. Yeah, NSMBWii is a better game, but it's built on the elements that NSMB already introduced and used well.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I got this for Xmas. So far, I've gotten through world 1 (all coins found), and have access to world 2 and world 5 via the cannon.

I really like it so far. I'm not sure how I feel about the motion control aspects of the game. The spinner hat is fine. The tilt platforms and picking frozen baddies up seems unintuitive at this point.

I liked NSMB DS version for what it was.. but that game didn't really get good until the very very end.

This one seems stronger early on. Hopefully the difficulty ramps up quickly. I'd hate to have 3-4 throwaway worlds before the game gets good.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Chairman Yang said:
This game is definitely awesome, but I don't see a good reason for the disconnect between the huge praise for this and the lukewarm reception for NSMB on the DS. Yeah, NSMBWii is a better game, but it's built on the elements that NSMB already introduced and used well.
The level design and difficulty are way way better in NSMBWii.

Snaku

Banned
My sister got this for Xmas, and we've had a ball playing it today. I'm still trying to get our mother to play it, since she used to be a SMB/SMB3 master back in the day, but gave up on gaming when she found the SNES controller to be too complicated. I'll get her to play it dammit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Zek said:
The level design and difficulty are way way better in NSMBWii.

Yep. The DS game seems like a fan project compared to the level design in NSMBWii.

Plus for all the bitching about the art style, the graphics are executed far better just because all the characters and objects are 3D models instead of the really cheap looking sprites created from frames of 3D renders in the DS game.

This art style is fine on a big screen. On the DS everything was too small and muddled; a more bright and cartoony style works better on a portable screen for Mario.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I actually wish they had gone for a Super Mario World visual style. Sprites and all

This weird Super Mario 3/Super Mario World hybrid with the really ugly backgrounds sucks.

I do enjoy the enemies dancing to the music though :lol

Also, This game needs some of those masks that chase you from the US Super Mario Bros 2. Shy Guys, Ninja Guys and digging in sand would also be welcome additions.

I really liked Super Mario Bros 2, Mario game or not

Davey Cakes

StoOgE said:
I really liked Super Mario Bros 2, Mario game or not
I did, too.

I'd very much like to see more representation of Doki Doki Mario in further Mario platformers. I know that Shy Guys made it into Yoshi's Island and whatnot, but I think we could afford to see more than that in future potential installments of the NSMB series or 3D Marios.

Top Bottom