• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Rez said:
whoever green-lit the always available bubble-button is a genius.
Our 4-player group didn't discover the bubble until world 7. I honestly think the experience was more fun before that, despite the pain that the vertical fortress levels induced.

I kind of wish there was an option to disable it now, as we tend to hit it on reflex too often.

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm on world 7 playing through the game with my brother and:

This game just isn't fun in co-op. I think he's enjoying it perhaps despite the frustration but whenever we play it boils down to:

1) Get in each others way and cause many deaths.

2) Stay out of each others way and move through the level so slowly it sucks all the spontaneous fun out of the game.

Also i'm finding the worlds to be meh at best, just not that interesting.

I'm 27 and I tried playing this with my friend I've known and played games with since second grade. He got frustrated and gave up after 3 or 4 levels and wanted to go back to Call of Duty.

On Christmas I played with 3 of my cousins (all 11 years old) and we had a blast even though they were quite terrible at the game. They killed me a couple of times, but were mostly taking each other out purposefully and on accident and it was hilarious.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Sixfortyfive said:
Our 4-player group didn't discover the bubble until world 7. I honestly think the experience was more fun before that, despite the pain that the vertical fortress levels induced.

I kind of wish there was an option to disable it now, as we tend to hit it on reflex too often.

To be honest, even though I knew you could activate the bubble any time from the beginning, I still haven't adjusted to it. I'll fall into pits "classic-style", without even thinking about using the bubble as a life-saver :lol.

jee said:
why does mario lose his hat at times? it has happened multiple times but i always seem to miss it.

That shit was so neat the first time it happened. But I was playing as Luigi so I didnt get to take my hat off :lol

Blizzard

Banned
I finally played the game in co-op over Christmas break with my older and younger brothers. It was fun, but quite hard to not kill each other a lot...I was already bad at the game (I hardly ever have more than 5-10 lives) and it's even worse in multiplayer.

It is fun to grab one of the other players and be all "OH TRUST ME I CAN HANDLE THIS", and then fall to your collective doom, or to use them as ammunition to take out enemies, or to be the last guy to bubble (I'm safe...oh wait.). :lol

vazel

Banned
Gonna grab this game after hearing it has old school difficulty. Was afraid it would be as stupid easy as the DS game. But am I hearing this right and this game can be played only with a Wii Remote? No GCN or classic controller?

Edit: Saw this question was answered on previous page.

Right, played this for a couple of hours. So far:

-It's a good game, however, it's pretty much the same old Mario gameplay. Nothing new at all.
-Music is terrible and grating. With the sound effects, and it's quite a pain to listen to. Playing this with low volume.
-Nothing spectacular, pretty simple so far, it's alright.

BowieZ

Banned
Dabookerman said:
Right, played this for a couple of hours. So far:

-It's a good game, however, it's pretty much the same old Mario gameplay. Nothing new at all.
-Music is terrible and grating. With the sound effects, and it's quite a pain to listen to. Playing this with low volume.
-Nothing spectacular, pretty simple so far, it's alright.
What world are you up to?

And omg, I really can't understand the music hate. It's... catchy ditties... what's the problem?

McNum

You guys weren't kidding when you said the final boss was great. A good twist on a predictable fight. I like it. The game gets rather brutal later. Some of those traps it throws at you are just plain mean. Fair, but mean. I like that. The part in 7-Castle where
There are spiked columns EVERYWHERE, except for two squares of the screen
were fun. That wouldn't have been out of place in I Wanna be the Guy. Still the game stays brutal, but fair all the way through. It doesn't blindside you... much. Managed to get through with no Super Guide use, so I've got one shiny star. I'm missing a lot of hint movies, though. That's kind of odd. I kind of wanted to see some Super Skills videos manhandle some bosses.

Time to hunt for coins. There were a few in the last worlds in plain sight that I just went "Yeah... no." at. That's going to be a lot of fun to try to get to. I need to complete the level to get to keep my coins, right?

BowieZ said:
What world are you up to?

And omg, I really can't understand the music hate. It's... catchy ditties... what's the problem?
On world 2. Just breezing through. Borrowed it off a friend. Should complete it by tomorrow I guess.

There hasn't been any amazing Mario music since Sunshine, with the ONLY exception being Galaxy. Otherwise it just sounds like annoying pre school music.

volmer

I love this game, but SMB3 is still the best in my opinion. :)

Ranking: SMB3 > NSMBW > SMG > SM*

Some levels are pretty challenging
oh yes, 9-7 is awesome
, but I wish there were more of them.

Downloadable levels in the next 2D Mario please.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Holy Shit.

I just polished off world 5. The levels are hit or miss, but the ghost houses and the castles are fucking ace.

The final castle in world 5 was just brilliant. I also loved the Mario 3 style airship level at the end of 4.

The worlds where they stick to the classic Mario 3/Mario World gameplay seem to be the ones that work the best. Some of the gimmickier levels aren't working for me.

I'm still waiting on a giant fish trying to eat me level and an angry sun level. :/

I'm not a fan of some of the overworld stuff they did in world 4 that makes it hard to get around the overworld.

This game is quickly turning into one of my alltime favorite platformers.

StoOgE

McNum said:
Time to hunt for coins. There were a few in the last worlds in plain sight that I just went "Yeah... no." at. That's going to be a lot of fun to try to get to. I need to complete the level to get to keep my coins, right?

Yes.

I'm looking forward to the coin hunt once I've finished the game.

StoOgE

Dabookerman said:
What do you get from getting all the coins?

there is a 9th world with really hard levels for uber nerds. You have to get all of the coins in a world to unlock the corresponding level in the 9th world). so to play all of the levels you have to do some extra work.

StoOgE said:
there is a 9th world with really hard levels for uber nerds. You have to get all of the coins in a world to unlock the corresponding level in the 9th world). so to play all of the levels you have to do some extra work.

Fair enough. Good enough reason I guess.

StoOgE

Just finished world 6. I got my jumping fish chasing you level.

I am still in need of at least 1 angry sun level :D

The game is getting to the point where I am being really challenged in some of the levels. Some of them (boat with the light on it) don't work.. but for the most part especially this far into the game it feels like I'm playing Super Mario World or Super Mario 3.

The DS game had a few clever levels at the end.. but this one is feeling like it equals the classic Mario's.. not just mimmick them.

rhino4evr

StoOgE said:
Just finished world 6. I got my jumping fish chasing you level.

I am still in need of at least 1 angry sun level :D

The game is getting to the point where I am being really challenged in some of the levels. Some of them (boat with the light on it) don't work.. but for the most part especially this far into the game it feels like I'm playing Super Mario World or Super Mario 3.

The DS game had a few clever levels at the end.. but this one is feeling like it equals the classic Mario's.. not just mimmick them.

I think its superior to the DS game..at least in level design. Wait till you play 8-7...if you can find it.

Dabookerman said:
On world 2. Just breezing through. Borrowed it off a friend. Should complete it by tomorrow I guess.

There hasn't been any amazing Mario music since Sunshine, with the ONLY exception being Galaxy. Otherwise it just sounds like annoying pre school music.

There have been 2 Mario games between Sunshine and this: NSMB and Galaxy. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't think it's Galaxy that's the exception here =P.

Great game, btw. Probably my favorite of 09 (though admittedly that's not saying much), but I wouldn't say it's my favorite Mario, nor would it be close to the top. Some where right in the middle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this game has ruined single-player Mario for me. If I'm not play not playing multiplayer, I feel like I'm kind of 'wasting' the game.

It's weird.

upandaway

Rez said:
this game has ruined single-player Mario for me. If I'm not play not playing multiplayer, I feel like I'm kind of 'wasting' the game.

It's weird.
Same here. I'm not willing to play the game without my friend anymore.

He's not willing I play it without him, either.

Haunted

Rez said:

It's weird.
Well not SP Mario in general, but for this game, yeah. I've stopped collecting the coins because I don't want to play it alone anymore.

rhino4evr said:
I finally got all the coins in worlds 1-8, and unlocked all the "secret" levels.

Two things..

OMG - Level 8-7 is one of the best levels in ANY mario game. I can't believe they made it an "optional level" so very few casual gamers will ever see it. It's so much fun, I actually replayed it again right after finishing it. BRILLIANT

and Holy shit at World 9...for a LONG time, I had considered the "special" stages in Super Mario World to be the pinacle of 2-d platform challenge. Not any more. I've only played through the first 4 stages, but wow AWESOME.

Why do I ever doubt Nintendo?

Actually man, they clearly recognised 8-7 should be experienced by everyone -- its one of the levels you can choose by default in Free Mode (you don't have to unlock it like most of the games levels)

And I agree, its hilarious with multiple players too

StoOgE

twenty1 said:
I still want the next one to be NEW Super Mario World!!!!!

why? Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World are extremely similar in nature.. I would even say this one has more in common with Super Mario World than SM3.

I want New Super Mario Bros 2. I like Shy Guys and Birdo's :(

upandaway

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I haven't quite yet but if you finish the game single player and get all the secrets, will it still be fun in multiplayer????
Yes, if only because you get to look like a badass when you sprint through the whole level saying shit like "on yeah there's some secret shit there or something, dope, go get it" everywhere.

upandaway said:
Yes, if only because you get to look like a badass when you sprint through the whole level saying shit like "on yeah there's some secret shit there or something, dope, go get it" everywhere.

I was planning on saving that speech for the pits and other deathtraps but yeah.

twenty1

Banned
StoOgE said:
why? Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World are extremely similar in nature.. I would even say this one has more in common with Super Mario World than SM3.

I want New Super Mario Bros 2. I like Shy Guys and Birdo's :(

I want more yoshi's NSMB only had enough to count on one hand (Booooo) and the cape back with some new added features......New Super Mario Bros 2 would be cool too......I want to see a new bad azz take on Mowser!

twenty1

Banned
Rash said:
Eh. You guys are nuts. The game is still a blast in SP, even after experiencing MP.

I guess the fact that I played so much of this on the DS it's not as appealing to me as is to the gamers who played a little of or not at all the DS version.

Davey Cakes

BowieZ said:
There is no problem. The music really is catchy and fitting, and only gets better and more various as the game goes on.

The "hate" for it is just about as unwarranted as the "hate" for the game's physics and controls. That is, completely unwarranted.

Rash said:
There is no problem. The music really is catchy and fitting, and only gets better and more various as the game goes on.

Personally, I like the nostalgic touches and really liked the boss progression being faithful to the series as well as the music.

I don't remember how much of the music is similar/remixes of old tunes and how much is new but if it was all new, it'd have to be REALLY memorable to compete with the forever-stuck-in-your-head old simplistic tunes.

Davey Cakes

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Just popping in to say that this game is hard as hell......and im only in world 3.
Man, there's such a division between gamers. Some say the game is too easy, but some say it's really hard.

I mean, wow.

Rash said:
Man, there's such a division between gamers. Some say the game is too easy, but some say it's really hard.

I mean, wow.

Sometimes I think those that say "never lost a life until the last world" are lying or exaggerating to look badass but then again, some gamers do have such great skill at certain genres.

I don't think the game is too easy or too hard, I think they nailed the difficulty much better here than the wonderful, but for me too easy, Galaxy.

Dunlop

Damn this game is great, I don't know what the hell I was thinking picking it up for x-mas for my 5 year old. It's freaking hard
:D

This game has a pretty stellar difficulty curve. It started out almost painfully easy when I picked it up last Sunday, but I got my first green block thing on World 6-Boss and suddenly realized that it had gotten hard, but I couldn't place exactly where the difficulty jacked up. Got two more greens on World 7 (-Mid and -Boss, I think), and I had the strongest urge to double back to an easier area to rack up 1Ups. Hadn't visited the Toad houses since early in World 2, either, but after dying like thirty or forty times on that last castle, I finally conquered all eight worlds. Now to look for star coins
and, yeah, World 9
. :D

Much better fun per unit time than Galaxy, but maybe less total fun. Depends on how many times I can keep coming back to the levels. And whether or not I can get my friends hooked on the multiplayer modes.

I could have used more mini mario. It seems like they could have built a lot of clever boards with that in mind, but they just left it hanging.

Onesimos

A request:

Because this forum is very active with many users posting at the same time, it is hard for me to read all the posts on this thread because there are too many. I would like to know whether there is an English translation of the Famitsu review for New Super Mario Bros. Wii. If there is one this thread, can anyone link that post so I can easily get to it?

Haunted

So, are we going to see some nice vista shots of the overworld maps? You know, like this.

I always loved those, and I think some of the maps look quite cool in NSMBWii (especially worlds 6 and 8).

Rash said:

I mean, wow.
I definitely think the "too easy" brigade has been silenced after playing through world 9. :lol

Haunted said:
So, are we going to see some nice vista shots of the overworld maps?

Unfortunately and unlike SMW, there isn't one contiguous overworld map split up into different areas. They're completely self-contained like in SMB3. So a "Grand Overworld" view wouldn't look as awesome. :/

Yazus

Finished Level 9-8 now. Holy fuck. Played the whole game in multiplayer me and my best friend in two seats, with pizzas and coke and no sleep :lol !

Our fucking OCD instinct made us collect ALL the 3 coins before moving into the next level, but FUCK. This game is GENIOUS. Best Super Mario ever, for me. Better then SMG either.

Pure geniousness, the design of the levels could not have been better.

StoOgE

So I just beat the game. Obviously I missed some of the harder to find worlds, and need to
beat world 9

This is right now my favorite 2d mario game (I prefer 2d to 3d generally but look at them as two different series). I replayed Mario 3 and Mario World over the summer so I feel pretty confident in this assessment.

The last boss fight was absolutely *killer*.
the homage to the original Super Mario Brothers was fucking great. When I stepped on the button I was kind of like "well, that was cool that they ended it old school, but it was a little eas... OH SHIT.

:lol

Had a blast running from Bowser on steroids. Crazy nuts ending to the game. I didn't actually die on the last boss, but it was fun and required a lot of concentration

As far as difficulty goes:

The game isn't OMFG I'm going to kill myself hard (Lost Levels). I never ran into a shortage of lives during my first play through (I ended with about 60). However, the game has that "twitch" feeling that was missing from NSMB DS. Starting around world 4-5 the game comes into it's own and by the end the game was asking you to make some pretty difficult timed jumps. I would say it's about SMB3 hard.. maybe a tad easier. Certainly harder than either of the Mario Worlds. Doesn't get as difficult as SMB1 or Lost Levels.

The other boss fights were a little on the easy side.. but that's really been a problem with 2d Mario games. Some of them were really fun (final fight against Bowser Jr., MagiKoopa)

Edit: SMB3 certainly is harder since you can't save the fucker. But as far as difficulty of the actual levels I would put them at about even.

Right, so have completed it, and I guess I will collect all the coins.. Interested to see the levels in world 9, will probably use a guide as I cannot be arsed.
I must say, I almost got bored and stopped playing it, but I thought I might as well stick with it. I guess the final boss makes up for it, as that was the only part of the game that I thought, Hey! This is pretty cool. Otherwise meh.
Recycled and annoying music throughout.
Far too much recycling going on. I mean, if you're gonna recycle worlds from the previous game, at least do one of the cooler ones like Big/Small worlds and pipe world and all those, not just generic sand level, generic ice level, so forth. It's all so predictable and grating.
Also regarding the difficulty.. this game is hard? Either I'm just used to Mario games, but it was pretty easy and straight forward. A couple of annoying levels that I made sure I got the 3 coins, so I wouldn't have to do them again, but they were mainly the sloowwww levels.
I'm surprised people are saying it's better than galaxy.. I can't see how. Unless they just prefer 2D over 3D, which in this case, NSMB Wii isn't the best of either.
Galaxy was fresh, it was pretty to play, it was fun, the levels weren't entertaining, and it didn't bore me once, and I don't need to mention the glorious music.
I will compare this to Mario 3 and World, as those are what I think the best Mario games. World being my favourite due to it being the first game I ever owned, and thus holds that special place.
Where the fuck is my Yoshi? I can't even take him with me.. He's in it for like 2 or 3 levels. That's pathetic.
Second of all, the propeller power up. Once again, Nintendo and their persistence of not allowing a button option (unless there is one, then I apologies). I died few too many times trying to get coins using it, shaking the stupid wiimote for it not to respond. I don't want the thing working 95% of the time. I want it to respond 100% of the time. The only clever use was the platforms that tilt.. otherwise, silly alternatives.
I haven't played this in multiplayer, but I'm sure it will serve it's purpose as a silly knock about mini game if I ever do.
So yeah, not too impressed, all too easy and straight forward.. nothing surprising at all. I will say it looks nice enough, very clean and colorful and does a good job in that department, and of course, it's all polished gameplay wise. But that's to be expected.
I would probably rank this.. probably 6th or 7th in the list of Mario platform games I've played.. which is pretty much all of them.

Top Bottom