• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official New Super Mario Bros. Wii Thread

Sagitario

Level 4 of my solo run [finished it long ago in multiplayer]...

I'm no caring about the star coins until I beat Bowser :p ...

BTW, this game has my favorite credits roll ever...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ranger X said:
So I just finished NSMB Wii.

This game did something I never ever thought would be possible: It made me revise my Mario games ranking. SMB3 (that was first place) and Mario World (that was second place by a hair) are now second and third. Yup, without hesitation I'm saying it: NSMB Wii is the best 2D Mario game I've ever fucking played.

/flasbergasted

'Tis here be a man of great thinking and fortitude.

Welcome to the fold, raw raw fight the power.

Sagitario said:
Level 4 of my solo run [finished it long ago in multiplayer]...

I'm no caring about the star coins until I beat Bowser :p ...

BTW, this game has my favorite credits roll ever...

THIS. We beat the game and suddenly we realize that we can pound them blocks. Ground pounding for multiple coins is hilarious.

I can't think of many other credits sequences that are interactive: SSB Melee comes to mind (where you can shoot all the names in a Starfox-like sequence).

Kimosabae

Banned
How much better would most of you say the game get after stage 4? Honestly, the game is cool, but it feels a bit numbing. It's likely due to the difficulty.

Kimosabae said:
How much better would most of you say the game get after stage 4? Honestly, the game is cool, but it feels a bit numbing. It's likely due to the difficulty.
"Stage 4"? I assume you're talking about World 4 and not level 1-4, and I would say yes, the game gets better, and definitely harder, after that.

Hiltz

In my opinion, here are the New SMB Wii worlds rank from best to worst:

World 8
World 9
World 7
World 6
World 3
World 4
World 5
World 2
World 1

In terms of difficulty, I thought worlds
7 and 9
were the most challenging.

I still think Super Mario World is the best of the 2D Mario platformers. The introduction of the cape, Yoshi and Koopa kids along with the overall better music and enemy ending credits are hard to top. Had New SMB Wii included better music, ability to travel with Yoshi and more challenging gameplay it would be a tougher call in my opinion.

BowieZ

Banned
Kimosabae said:
I was wowed at every turn by almost every stage after World 4. It was a noticeable step up, I felt, from the first four worlds, not that they didn't have their moments either.

That especially proved true cos I kept seeming to stumble upon all the latter half's secret exits/levels without really trying. DAMN that shit is so epic.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just finished the game playing co-op with my sister. The last boss fight is fucking epic! Credits screen was an excellent touch too. Such an awesome game. :D

Oh good to see this thread bumped and see an amazing game get recognized.

I played through and got five stars by myself, but now I'm going through every level with a partner. We're on world 4, but time constraints will probably make this a year long endeavor. We've tried to get two others to join in and let the madness ensue.

Coin battle has effectively replaced Smash Bros. as my go-to multiplayer game. Ironically, the reason I don't play Smash as much is because my Smash buddy moved away. Wi-Fi is nice, but it can't replace that smug look you can give someone who is sitting right next to you.

Also, am I alone in thinking 8-1 was really hard?

BowieZ

Banned
Silver_DNA said:
Also, am I alone in thinking 8-1 was really hard?
No. Just wait till you get up to that stage with two people. If you can make it to the end without someone being sacrificed, you are great players. :lol

I love this game. There's nothing like a good ol' classic Super Mario game.

I love SMG but in many ways, I prefer the 2D side-scrolling Mario only because it's nostalgia, but I like the gameplay.

BowieZ said:
No. Just wait till you get up to that stage with two people. If you can make it to the end without someone being sacrificed, you are great players. :lol

Oh, I had to beat it with two people. That way I could die as many times as I needed to without starting from scratch.

Salsa

Playing through it again with the same friend as before but this time getting all the coin stars. The previous time it was in one sitting and felt really quick. Last night we were basically on the floor laughing at our dumb deaths, this is seriously the most fun experience ive ever had on the Wii.

Cygnus X-1

Pro: everything, mostly the fact that the game is quite difficult and very difficult if you play with other people.

Contra: too many 1-up. Way too many.

Ranger X

Cygnus X-1 said:
Pro: everything, mostly the fact that the game is quite difficult and very difficult if you play with other people.

I prefer a game to be hard but having basically infinite lives. Hoarding lives or getting back to previous world to collect some would be completely tiresome and useless.

So yeah, with the difficulty level of this Mario game, I swear the incredibly huge amount of lives you get is really important. I've been ocsillating around 40 lives for the most part of my walkthrough but at some point I dropped at like 13 lives!! And this just because of one or 2 levels so it seems what I collected was useful.

Sagitario said:
Oh... it's EVIL... and so freaking fun too...
And the most hilarious thing ever. Just wait until one person grabs the flag at the end of the level and the second person can't make it in time, freezes in mid-air as they jump to the flag, and falls straight down a bottomless pit when it tallies your score at the end. :lol

Cygnus X-1 said:

I played through it with two friends and one kept using continues. I was Mario and had quite a few 1-ups from when I started World 1 by myself, but it did fluctuate between 15-25 throughout. The lava levels in World 8 really hurt. :(

You get an abundance of items too. The propeller hat can make some jumping levels really easy.

Some of my favourite Coin Battle levels:
-any with Yoshi. Ground-pound someone to make them lose their Yoshi, spit shells and stuff at each other.
-the one in World 8 that's recommended. When the rollercoaster is going, ground pound to slide down and knock everyone off. If you're really evil, nab enough coins to win and suicide (once everyone else is bubbled) to ensure victory. Needless to say, we've never finished that level. :lol

I've played through this game six different times with different groups of people, and it was a completely different experience each time. The game is really special and one of the few games from 2009 that I'll still be playing in ten years.

Boney

Banned
Coolio McAwesome said:
I've played through this game six different times with different groups of people, and it was a completely different experience each time. The game is really special and one of the few games from 2009 that I'll still be playing in ten years.

This! I've been playing wtih different people, and I can't stress enough how different it is with different people. It really speaks wonders about the level design.

Of course it's the most fun if you're trying to kill each other all the time, NO truces under any circumstances.

Proven

I honestly have the most hilarious times working together. Since most people aren't that great at Mario games, the accidental kills end up being funnier than the ones done on purpose.

Then again, I need to do more Coin Battle.

upandaway

savor100 said:
I was watching some of those skills/hints videos from the programmers and man they are crazy good at this game.
Actually the people in the videos are the Super Mario Club, Nintendo's playtest group. It was mentioned in Iwata Asks how they spent hours trying to get those runs, too.

Vinci

Danish
Proven said:
I honestly have the most hilarious times working together. Since most people aren't that great at Mario games, the accidental kills end up being funnier than the ones done on purpose.

My wife and brother now try to purposely destroy one another in the game, ever since a few accidental spills had them at each others' throats. It's still funny, 'cause now they tend to get me killed more than their actual targets.

Cant get past that castle in world 3. I hate that stupid rolling brick thing, argh. I remember it really pissed me off in NSMB for the DS too.

upandaway

Ikkaku
This person has two sons in elementary school. The older one is really good at video games, but the younger one isn't.
Iwata
He isn't good at video games but wants to play? (laughs)
Ikkaku
So it seems. He tends to hold his brother back, and his brother gets mad at him. Their father saw that and tried to mediate by playing with them. They started the fortress stage, but...
Iwata
But the younger son couldn't keep up.
Ikkaku
That's right. The father and eldest son were moving on up, but the younger son was wandering around down below. That was a difficult stage, though, so the top two were having some difficulty. Then, suddenly—pow!—the screen changed to the goal screen.
Iwata
Even though they hadn't reached it yet?
Ikkaku
The younger son had found a hidden goal.
Iwata
Oh, I see! He found a hidden goal down below!
Ikkaku
Right. The younger son found it precisely because he was wandering around down below. Then the father and older brother told him what a great job he'd done.
Iwata
He'd been holding them back up until then, but suddenly he became the hero! (laughs)
Ikkaku
The younger son made a face like, "So there!" and struck a triumphant pose. (laughs)

Hahaha holy shit.

effingvic said:
Cant get past that castle in world 3. I hate that stupid rolling brick thing, argh. I remember it really pissed me off in NSMB for the DS too.
Try to get a Penguin Suit early on. With the suit you don't have any slide animation on ice and it's like the Snake Block is not slippery.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
These interviews are always great. I can't believe that the comments in the Club Nintendo surveys actually work their way back to the developers. Maybe I'll start answering them properly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's an important point of the game design. At first, we had it so you could see your progress as you went. But when you display how many coins you've got and a wide gap opens up, someone who's behind might give up. When you hide the count, however, you don't know whether you're winning or losing, so your heart is racing right up until you see the results.

*shakes head slowly* The level of thought that goes into this stuff....wow...just wow

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The_Technomancer said:
*shakes head slowly* The level of thought that goes into this stuff....wow...just wow
I would have figured that what you quoted would have been obvious anyway.

I always like the ending of Coin Battle (the stages with flagpoles). You have to decide whether to hit it as fast as possible so that your opponents don't get the bonus coins, or whether to aim for the top of it and get the most coins. So many times we've finished a stage where the guy with the propeller suit is flying down the invisible wall aiming for the top, and he's just an instant too late.

Lone_Prodigy said:
I always like the ending of Coin Battle (the stages with flagpoles). You have to decide whether to hit it as fast as possible so that your opponents don't get the bonus coins, or whether to aim for the top of it and get the most coins. So many times we've finished a stage where the guy with the propeller suit is flying down the invisible wall aiming for the top, and he's just an instant too late.

Love that. They've made the time limit just right with that. I can't tell you how many times I've ran back to get a coin while someone else activated the flag pole.

Drastic

New to wii and thinking about picking this up.

Looks like it's best with a controller grip/shell, such as the boss classic grip?

I'd get the classic controller, but not really interested in the tethering.

What's the best option here?

Drastic said:
New to wii and thinking about picking this up.

Looks like it's best with a controller grip/shell, such as the boss classic grip?

I'd get the classic controller, but not really interested in the tethering.

What's the best option here?
Well, your only options are wiimote (with an optional shell if you want it, I suppose) or nunchuck and wiimote.

I played the entire game and got all the star coins with just a naked wiimote and it worked fine. Your experience may vary.

Man, collecting these star coins are a lot harder than I thought. Holy shit at how some of these are hidden too.

Are there any secret levels aside from World 9? I always thought there would be world 1-7 or 1-8, but it seems like the castles replaced them or something.

bigcheese

effingvic said:
Man, collecting these star coins are a lot harder than I thought. Holy shit at how some of these are hidden too.

Are there any secret levels aside from World 9? I always thought there would be world 1-7 or 1-8, but it seems like the castles replaced them or something.
Yea, collecting the star coins is proving to be a bitch for me too. And
I've found level 8-7, but I don't know if there are any more secret levelsl

AniHawk

The Lamonster said:
So...what are the chances Nintendo will give us a sequel?

Has there been any word or indication it might happen?

It's probably a slim chance it will happen for the Wii. If Zelda isn't delayed, that will probably be their last huge main franchise game for the system.

The next NSMB is probably likely to appear on the 3DS, maybe in 2011 sometime. Who knows when the next console game will hit. I don't see them ignoring 2D Mario anymore like they did for most of the 90s and 00s.

Finally got around to finishing this. Holy hell, the end was awesome. In my rankings, this falls into second place after SMB3, but falling just shy of the king, Super Mario World.

Celine

effingvic said:

There is one hard to find at first in World 7.

I'm currently in the mid of world 8 ( first playthrough, all golden coins except 2 ).
The first half of world 8 was quite easy but after the castle I encountered some difficulty.
The level after the mid-world castle has "the illumination gimmick" that I don't like however after I beat it with all the golden coins I stumble upon the next level where you need to coordinate both Mario and the platform using a combination of d-pad and motion control ( at the same time ).
What a stupid control scheme. Upon there motion controls worked because they were easy to implement in addition to the classic control scheme.

Also I hate the Super Guide, there should be an option to disable it.

Bitching aside, great game :D

I finally got around to beating it with my brother last weekend. We're old enough we were playing SMB together back in the day as kids. We get to Bowser, see it looks rather familiar, he has super Luigi I have regular Mario, so I tell him run like hell for the axe. Yeah, doesn't work in NSMBW. Pure awesomeness.

ConradCervantes said:
Finally got around to finishing this. Holy hell, the end was awesome. In my rankings, this falls into second place after SMB3, but falling just shy of the king, Super Mario World.
Oh, and yeah the entire end was awesome as well. I think it's my favorite Mario 2D platformer though. The entire time I was playing it I kept thinking how much this is what I wanted when I was a kid.

Zing

Banned
I have only three star coins left and I doubt I will ever get them. I believe they are all on world
9-7
. That one is a bitch.

I have tried many times to play this game with my wife and friends. It ends up basically just being me soloing. They die probably 20 times to my one. Frequently, they will use up their starting five lives within the first minute of each level. I have no idea how anyone can be that bad at a mario game.

In my game, I constantly have 99 lives. It's like any other Mario game with essentially infinite lives.

Top Bottom