• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Faction: Guerilla Thread of Rhinopackin' through Space

MMaRsu

Banned
Thanks for making this thread, love Volition, because Saints Row 1 and 2 were great games. As well as the older Red Factions. This game is going to be amazing and I can't wait to play this day fucking one!!!

Volition <3

MMaRsu

Banned
Gowans007 said:
anyone up for playing the multi-demo together in a few hours? MMaRsu?

I can try.. I have to clear my attic first as we have people coming to look at our house this weekend ( we're selling it ).

But tonight I can play for sure..

Bi50N said:
There are a few walk-through vids I'd recommend:

This late game mission run-through as part of the Dev Diary series - about 4 minutes long

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=2941

This mission run-through for G4TV - about 14 minutes, lots of additional info

http://g4tv.com/thepile/videos/37734/Red-Faction-Guerrilla-Developer-Walkthrough.html

This SP demo run through - 14 minutes worth, more general info about the differences between the demo and the game

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=3086

Wow, that single player demo walk thru was very awesome. Played the demo but never even thought about all the number crunching thats going on and just how sweet this engine is. Thanks for posting.

MMaRsu - Thanks for the heads up about the official thread. I fail at spelling "guerilla" in search. :lol

Anyway, I played the demo back last Fall and had a blast (har har) with it. Definitely picking this up next week. Reviews look good so far!

I was always hoping this would turn out awesome. The moment I knew this was going to be special was when I was playing the beta. I was in the second floor, trying to shoot some people when suddenly a explosion rocked the building. I then realized I was no longer on the second floor. Not because I had fallen through a hole or anything, but because the first floor had been destroyed and the second floor had just toppled upon it.

I was blown away.

Now that reviews are coming in, I'm glad to know the game shapped up to be THIS good. Seems most reviews say its polished as well which is such a huge plus since I really hated how Mercenaries 2 had so many bugs, glitches, and oddities.

Next week I dub DESTRUCTION. Now wheres my legos? I wanna build up some shit and then topple it! :lol

Kingpen

I'm interested (in single player only)...... But it is between this and Prototype, and I'm leaning toward prototype since it is a 1p developed game solely....

But I'll wait on reviews for both before I pick one up.

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
I'm interested (in single player only)...... But it is between this and Prototype, and I'm leaning toward prototype since it is a 1p developed game solely....

But I'll wait on reviews for both before I pick one up.

Have I ever steered you wrong?

OneLetter

Bamelin said:
An early review at the site I work with just went up for those interested: http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/reviews/review/369/Red-Faction-Guerrilla.html

tldr? - 9.5/10

In addition J Goldberg will be appearing on our podcast tomorrow (someothercastle.com) to pimp the game. should be interesting!

That would be me :D

Also, did everyone see our GamePro Review?

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/210413/red-faction-guerrilla-360/ << 5/5

Hope everyone tunes into the Live Feed starting tomorrow morning at 10 AM CST. Full details here: http://community.redfaction.com/content/rfg-pre-e3-showcase-justintv-may-29th

EagleEyes

OneLetter said:
We'll get them to correct that. June 2nd is still the date.
I have a question, does RFG have the option for vsync enabled like the Saint's Row games on the 360? Not that it matters because this game is still Day 1 but I always thought it was cool of Volition to give the player the option.

FoggyFreek

What i recall, no vehicles in multiplayer. Just the jetpacks (and that is WAY enough different ways to move in the map). Furthermore, the maps are all rather small so vehicles aren't needed.

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
Have I ever steered you wrong?

Thats why I have interest in a game where I had ABSOLUTE NO INTEREST AT ALL in before is cause of you.... We are pretty much clones in our taste in games.

I'll make it an assignment to start researching this game tonight (gosh Sacred is weeping because I am letting it collect dust!)

pakkit

Banned
This game is bird-fucking awesome. I remember being excited for the original Red Faction and coming out disappointed, but this finally looks like a realization of what the franchise was building up to all along.

the MP in this game is some of the most fun i've ever had in a MP game. charging through a wall and splattering the guy behind it is so fucking awesome

maybe, just maybe this will be the game to pull me away from l4d

Houston, TX here also...mom and pop where are you?

The multiplayer demo is legit, this looks to be the number 1 multiplayer, summer game

360 version in hand, from our favorite NYC store.

Won't be able to play till later tonight, and I'm gone all weekend :(
I'll try to post impressions tonight if I can get some good time in.

Shawsie64

Banned
Bi50N said:
There are a few walk-through vids I'd recommend:

This late game mission run-through as part of the Dev Diary series - about 4 minutes long

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=2941

This mission run-through for G4TV - about 14 minutes, lots of additional info

http://g4tv.com/thepile/videos/37734/Red-Faction-Guerrilla-Developer-Walkthrough.html

This SP demo run through - 14 minutes worth, more general info about the differences between the demo and the game

http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=3086

Sweet thanks man, so hyped!

Me and my friend made a pact. No sleep til the game is over when it comes out. Can't wait, the release is so close. inFamous will do until then :D

IGN gave an 8 btw, decent score but whatevs. Game is as good as bought.

Cat in the Hat said:
IGN gave an 8 btw, decent score but whatevs. Game is as good as bought.

That's kinda bullshit. Every other site has given 90+. Oh well. Im hoping to get it tomorrow. It's out at Futureshop/Bestbuy, but they can't sell it until Tuesday.

Amir0x

Banned
are we really doing the "8.0 is not a good score" dance again? :lol

guys an 8.0 is a good score still, and it's not like you have to judge it on that good score anyway: there's TWO demos. Try the multiplayer out and if you're not sold on it (I'd be shocked), then you know...cool.

hulot

MrCompletely said:
360 version in hand, from our favorite NYC store.

Won't be able to play till later tonight, and I'm gone all weekend :(
I'll try to post impressions tonight if I can get some good time in.
VGNY?
Did they also have Prototype?

I didn't mind the demo. Had fun just creaming buildings in the walker. I actually like the 3rd person perspective the game has taken.

The ONLY thing keeping this from being a day one is the sheer volume of games I've already got/need to buy/backlog.

I still haven't bought Fallout 3, Farcry 2, No More Heroes, plus a few others.

Hell, I only just bought Blue Dragon a couple of weeks ago.

I'll get this eventually though, seems cool.

hulot said:
VGNY?
Did they also have Prototype?

YES and
I didn't bother checking for Prototype, but I don't think they had it

Anyway, I got to play for almost 2 hours last night in the single player campaign, and played a quick 'anarchy' (free for all dm) multiplayer match.

First thing, and this could just be me, but it seems like the Geomod 2.0 is more dynamic and complex in the full game as opposed to the demo. The physics seem dialed up and buildings have more spectacular displays of destruction. Like I said, it could be me, or perhaps the more diverse range of structures, but I was more blown away by the destructibility in the full game after having spent some good time in both demos. Also, there's plenty of tall silo style buildings in the starting sector for your toppling pleasure - AND - they tie into mission objectives, so you get rewarded for having fun.

Second, the game is as fun as you think its going to be. At any point in time you can opt to take up a Guerilla (side missions) to shape the moral of the minors and the control of the EDF. I've encountered two types so far, a hostage rescue and a destruction challenge. You can also opt to take out EDF structures, which is a lot more fun that it sounds. The world does feel alive in that you're in a mining colony. There are minors running around doing their thing, EDF bullying people (and you), lots of trucks and equipment driving around, EDF propaganda being broadcast around the colony, etc.. As you battle EDF, minors will take up arms and fight along side you (and actually kill EDF). The game seems to keep track of how many 'guerillas' join your cause, how many colonist die, etc. All of these factors apear to have an affect on the moral/control status.

My first impressions are EXTREMELY positive, and the demo gives you a great example of the gameplay, but not the game world.

I won't be able to play again till Sunday :(

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
A bug was discovered in the multiplayer demo, which is the reason it was pulled from the Playstation Network. Volition are now looking into it..

The bug is specific to the multiplayer demo only - and won't have any impact on either the retail version, or the single player demo for the PS3.
The Xbox 360 demos and retail version are also unaffected.

MrCompletely said:
YES and

Anyway, I got to play for almost 2 hours last night in the single player campaign, and played a quick 'anarchy' (free for all dm) multiplayer match.

First thing, and this could just be me, but it seems like the Geomod 2.0 is more dynamic and complex in the full game as opposed to the demo. The physics seem dialed up and buildings have more spectacular displays of destruction. Like I said, it could be me, or perhaps the more diverse range of structures, but I was more blown away by the destructibility in the full game after having spent some good time in both demos. Also, there's plenty of tall silo style buildings in the starting sector for your toppling pleasure - AND - they tie into mission objectives, so you get rewarded for having fun.

Second, the game is as fun as you think its going to be. At any point in time you can opt to take up a Guerilla (side missions) to shape the moral of the minors and the control of the EDF. I've encountered two types so far, a hostage rescue and a destruction challenge. You can also opt to take out EDF structures, which is a lot more fun that it sounds. The world does feel alive in that you're in a mining colony. There are minors running around doing their thing, EDF bullying people (and you), lots of trucks and equipment driving around, EDF propaganda being broadcast around the colony, etc.. As you battle EDF, minors will take up arms and fight along side you (and actually kill EDF). The game seems to keep track of how many 'guerillas' join your cause, how many colonist die, etc. All of these factors apear to have an affect on the moral/control status.

My first impressions are EXTREMELY positive, and the demo gives you a great example of the gameplay, but not the game world.

I won't be able to play again till Sunday :(

Thanks for the impressions and for making this weekend take longer than expected!!! Good week next week, RFG, New Conan Show, E3, Fuel.... not a bad way to kick off a week!

Kingpen

Yeah, I did my homework as stated before, and think Red Faction is getting my store credit over prototype now. The teamxbox review (9), game informer review (9) and ign review (8) did enough for me to tell me I was getting a good chunk of single player content for my money. This does look like 'Mercenaries done right' to me, so I'll give it a shot.

Still might get prototype as well if it gets stellar reviews, but if it doesn't I always have Crackdown!

hulot

MrCompletely said:
YES and
Hmm, maybe I'll go pick it up tonight. Thanks for the impressions.

MrCompletely said:
At any point in time you can opt to take up a Guerilla (side missions) to shape the moral of the minors
Sounds awesome =P

Top Bottom