• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Red Faction: Guerilla Thread of Rhinopackin' through Space

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
Yeah, I did my homework as stated before, and think Red Faction is getting my store credit over prototype now. The teamxbox review (9), game informer review (9) and ign review (8) did enough for me to tell me I was getting a good chunk of single player content for my money. This does look like 'Mercenaries done right' to me, so I'll give it a shot.

Still might get prototype as well if it gets stellar reviews, but if it doesn't I always have Crackdown!

:D

We'll have to get some multiplayer in.

If anyone here lives in New York, Chinatown, Jnl has the game:D :D

05292009674.jpg

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Wow I had little to none interest in this game prior watching the stream but I've been watching that stream for 2 hours straight. I'm so pumped up about this game now. I'm contemplating on preordering but the game is a few days away and hopefully won't be sold out

newsguy

I'm hoping I can play this soon. The demo was so balls out I can't imagine getting bored of the destruction. Hell, I never got bored of the destruction in Mercs 2 and that was all predetermined. Being able to topple buildings over in multpile ways should be awesome.

Liberty4all

Banned
We just posted up a podcast featuring J. Goldberg (V-singular) talking about Red Faction. You can check it out here if interested, the interview starts about 25 mins in and runs for about a half hour.

OneLetter

Hey everyone,

Hope you enjoyed the live stream. What a long day! We tried to answer as many questions as we could and tried to show off as many different features as well, but obviously, 6 hours isn't enough.

A few clips have been archived already (http://www.justin.tv/volition/archive), and we recorded the full stream in-house as well, so we'll have that available sometime soon on the community website.

A big thank you to everyone who watched the stream and/or asked a question. Now we're just a few days away. :D

Foil

Really looking forward to this game. The beta/demos have been extremely enjoyable and the destruction makes the gameplay so much fun. Shame that the multiplayer demo on PS3 seems to have some major connection issues right now. It takes forever to be able to get into a game, if at all. When you do connect it's gravy though.

I'm surprised more people aren't looking forward to RF Guerrilla. Oh, and to whoever it is out there who shot me in the back with the railgun right when I was about to get on top of that large tower, I hate you. :lol

I'm thinking of picking this up but kind of torn on going 360 or waiting for the PC version, any word on whether the PC version will have the standard amenities? (16v16, modding, etc)

Phthisis

I found a store near my house that had this today. Good lord there's a lot to do in this game. I'll be on my way to one mission and en route I'm tasked with something else. It doesn't really look like it when you're playing, but the world is very dense.

Also, I think the guy who does the narration in this game is the same guy who did Crackdown's narration? If not, they sound awfully similar.

FoggyFreek

Please don't overlook this game with all the E3 stuff going on... I hope the reviews keep the focus on it. Anyone played it yet?

So I just downloaded the multiplayer demo but completely forgot I have a silver membership and I can't afford Gold right now as I'm currently unemployed.

Does anyone have a spare 48 hour trial code they don't mind giving up?

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
I found a store near my house that had this today. Good lord there's a lot to do in this game. I'll be on my way to one mission and en route I'm tasked with something else. It doesn't really look like it when you're playing, but the world is very dense.

Also, I think the guy who does the narration in this game is the same guy who did Crackdown's narration? If not, they sound awfully similar.

How the f* can I live in a city with 750K people, and there are only freaking gamestops around here. I never can get anything before street date cause there are no mom-pop shops at all

hulot

Kingpen said:
How the f* can I live in a city with 750K people, and there are only freaking gamestops around here. I never can get anything before street date cause there are no mom-pop shops at all
I know this isn't helping but just got back, installing it now. Gamertag is same as Gaf name, if anyone is up for multiplayer.

FoggyFreek said:
Please don't overlook this game with all the E3 stuff going on... I hope the reviews keep the focus on it. Anyone played it yet?
It may well get lost in the E3 shuffle.

Now that the review embargo's been lifted, it's presently hovering at #2 (behind SFIV) on X360 and #3 (behind SFIV and Killzone 2) on PS3 for best reviewed new retail titles this year.

That's mighty impressive if the 90% average holds.

Liberty4all

Banned
Ok I got my copy today. Going to repost the impressions I put up at G&T (PA) based on about 6 hours of multiplayer.

Holy shit.

I just got off multiplayer with the full game to jump in here just to give you guys some impressions. The full game multiplayer is incredible.

There are many more backpacks that totally change up the gameplay. A Thrust pack that jumps you up in the air at incredible speed that you can (sorta) control. A Pack that magnifies the damage of your gun. A pack that makes earthquakes causing buildings to collapse. A Pack that heals your teamates?

This game is totally about the vertical as much as the horizontal. There are bridges everywhere (that blow up VERY nicely) and you'll find gameplay happening at all different vertical levels of the map. I just got my second achievement sticking somebody with a detonator mine thingy then blowing him to shit.

There's a gun that shoots out razor things that slices people down to size. There's a pack called concussiont hat knocks people down (or over the edge of bottomless cliffs). There's little sniper towers that you get a birds eye view of the action to kill people (until somebody decides to take their hammer and bring down the whole thing ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *Splat*)

Seriously the multiplayer demo was nothing compared to the depth of the maps I'm playing on right now. This is my new multiplayer love. There's a group I play with we are ALL buying this, and now that I've actually played the full multiplayer I say it was a VERY good fucking decision. This is my new shadowrun (I know some of you hated it but for me that was one of the best mp games going). The amount of tactical decisions you can make combined with being able to destroy EVERYTHING makes the whole game play like no other console multiplayer title I've ever played.

From the looks of things Siege and Large Mixer are locked at the start until you get some XP. Which you will have a blast doing.

I don't know what else to say I gotta rush back to play, hope these impressions give you guys an idea of what's to come. Everyone on my team was laughing our asses off at various deaths, kills, buildings falling on each other, and other hilarity.

New fun fact -- The thrust backpack not only propels you into the air, it propels you THROUGH any building you happen to be in. Great for getaways when indoors mwaha

omg a big gas canister leaning against this building. I'm like hmm I wonder what happens if I detonate that? The mushroom cloud was seen halfway across the map, taking out at least half their team (and me too)

fun fact #2: camping with 5 guys on your team up in a little sniper tower is a VERY BAD IDEA.

The slicer is great when you stand down a narrow hallway ... if multiple enemies come charging in you can get multiple kills at once (it goes through them all I think). Unfortunatley though the slicer has a long reload time and only shoots one at a time

I'm still getting a handle on everything. Some of the items are very useful (there is a mobile spawn item for example so you can set it up so your teamates spawn by good packs).

There's a rocket launcher type gun that makes big explosions.

"Bamelin got Disintigrated"

While I haven't held the nano gun myself I think that I got my first experience with it

Just played Team Anarchy on a map called "Rift". Two bases connected across a bottomless chasm by a series of bridges (protip: DON'T TAKE THE BRIDGES!). Each team starts on opposite sides of the chasm.

oh and we all started with rocket launchers.

My team won by one kill 50-49. Both bases were almost flattened by the end.

Oh and I also discovered that the thrust pack you can also thrust DOWN through a building by holding A. "NEXT STOP GROUND FLOOOOORR~"

Completely randomly J. Goldberg (community manager at Volition better known here at GAF as Oneletter) ended up in a match I was in tonight and we ended up partying up (it was really weird we just wrapped up a podcast with him, but this meeting happened totally randomly). I don't think very many people have the game yet because it was difficult to get a match going on the larger (10 plyrs and up) game modes (Seige and um can't remember the other type).

Man though was it ever fun. J. was a beast with the singularity bomb, taking out multiple buildings in the destroy mode (can't remember if that's the exact name but basically in this mode the destroyer on your team tried to destroy as many buildings as possible while teamates protect -- opposite team does same thing, your team gets points for the destruction the destroyer causes).

So many mean things you can do in this game with detonators and proximity mines. Nothing worse than chasing a guy around a corner only to have him waiting with his sledgehammer. It's OH so satisfying though to smack somebody to kingdom come with that thing.

Had a chance to play a couple Seige games .... very VERY fun. In Seige you have to protect a series of targets (buildings) from the enemy attack ... X-ray Vision pack comes in real handy here as you get one guy to call out positions of advancing enemy troops. I single handedly saved a bunch of my teamates lives screaming out warnings "He's coming in the backdoor behind you!" turning potential disaster into splattered enemy skulls.

Almost every game I've played it's been pretty close, although there have been a few where we got slaughtered usually in the capture the point mode that's in the demo. Capture the Flag mode is really cool ... Stealth packs or fleetfoot are king when you've got the flag, it's just chaos everywhere as the lead (score) bounced back and forth.

I asked this in the new releases thread but I'll ask here too: does anyone know if the golden hammer code is single-use? I really want the hammer but I also want the game ASAP and Amazon isn't offering release date delivery.

bjaelke

Bamelin said:
Ok I got my copy today. Going to repost the impressions I put up at G&T (PA) based on about 6 hours of multiplayer.
Are there a lot of servers at this point? Oh and thanks for the impressions :)

Kingpen said:

Hahaha, same problem here - Houston

Liberty4all

Banned
bjaelke said:
Are there a lot of servers at this point? Oh and thanks for the impressions :)

No way to tell ... the matchmaking system is almost exactly the same as Halo 3. With that said I was in alot of games with the same guys. I would then try to go to a larger (player) game mode and see the same guys in that room but we didn't have enough people to play so I'm thinking that maybe there were 100 - 200 people online max. Probaly less

Liberty4all

Banned
Phthisis said:

We asked J. that very question but he wasn't sure.

SamBishop

Banned
Just finished the single-player campaign. This. Game. Is. Fucking. Awesome.

Volition, you've rekindled a love for you that I haven't felt since the Freespace days. God damn was this game a blast. Just when I thought I was getting a bit too overwhelmed by things, it eased off only to have one of the most intense final battles I've ever had in a game. Just wish the ending was longer. Fucking next-gen games and their 2 minute long CG endings...

Liberty4all

Banned
How long did the campaign take you Sam and at what level of difficulty?

My buddy Khari (he wrote our review) told me that he tried the game at normal first but was getting his ass kicked so he had to dial it down to casual. I played on casual myself for abit and still found it challenging ...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
SamBishop said:
Just finished the single-player campaign. This. Game. Is. Fucking. Awesome.

Volition, you've rekindled a love for you that I haven't felt since the Freespace days. God damn was this game a blast. Just when I thought I was getting a bit too overwhelmed by things, it eased off only to have one of the most intense final battles I've ever had in a game. Just wish the ending was longer. Fucking next-gen games and their 2 minute long CG endings...

Dude, you love that shit. You love the shit outta that shit.

SamBishop

Banned
Bamelin said:
How long did the campaign take you Sam and at what level of difficulty?

My buddy Khari (he wrote our review) told me that he tried the game at normal first but was getting his ass kicked so he had to dial it down to casual. I played on casual myself for abit and still found it challenging ...

AHAHAHAHA... I just checked and realized I'd been on Casual for about half the game. It was definitely challenging enough and I don't even want to think about how hard Insane (which was just unlocked) would be. In fact, fuck even doing it on harder difficulty levels until you've beaten the game, Casual felt just right; I died more than a few times, but it wasn't so ridiculously tough as to turn me off to the game or dissuade me from playing it more/trying again.

Whoops.

I don't regret, it, though. If the game's "easy" mode can deliver an experience that's this fun at this level, I'm perfectly fine with that, hardcore bragging rights be damned.

chespace said:
Dude, you love that shit. You love the shit outta that shit.

That shit got the shit loved outta it, son. Sheeeeeiiiiiit.

Also, we're doing a shot Monday night, then we're doing another. Then, just for fun, we're doing three more. I've been saving my sobriety for E3, and by god, we're gonna tie one on.

Liberty4all

Banned
web01 said:
You playing on ps3 or 360?

Oh and for the Aussies that might be interested I didn't see a "Local/prefer good connection" option (although I'm assuming that it will search for local games first regardless of whether the option is there or not)

ashism

I found a copy at a local mom and pop shop. Been playing on normal for 2 days now. Not easy.

Whoever has a 360 version should totally play online. There is nobody on, it's a wasteland!

OneLetter

Justin.tv has the full live stream archived now. If you want to watch all 6 hours (or just find a certain section, follow the directions below.

1. Go here: http://www.justin.tv/volition/archive
2. Click on the "May 29th" link in the center.
3. You can see the entire 6 hours here. The time code on the video is not the running time, but the actual time of the day, so it will start out at 9:52 (our first test) and it runs for 5 minutes. When the 5 minutes is up (9:57 in this case), it'll automatically load up the next 5.
4. To skip forward 5 minutes, click the >| button on the video player and it'll advance 5 minutes each time.
5. The show ran from 10:00 AM - 4 PM, so there's plenty to see.

One of our community members even went through the trouble of starting to upload it all to YouTube, which you can access by going here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINLcnTx-jk << Part 1. He has 30 parts so far and stated that he's still working on the rest.

With regard to Multiplayer, don't worry about not many people being on yet, since most game shops won't be selling the game until Tuesday, the official street date. You'll see me on the 360 servers playing a bunch today (Sunday), so if you see my name pop-up in the player list, be sure to say hi.

Ledsen

OneLetter said:
If you want to watch all 6 hours

That's what I've been doing, on and off, since it went up yesterday :)
Awesome, awesome stuff, can't believe how advanced the physics engine is. I would love to read an in-depth article about it, seeing as it's generations ahead of anything done before. Sadly I won't have time to play the game until next year (won't have access to my 360 from july-dec) but it'll be an insta-buy when I get back :)

web01

I would like to know whats going on with the ps3 version online?
They took down the ps3 multiplayer demo and im sure others are worried that its still gonna be completely broken on release.

Gowans

Watching the archived live stream now, really well done.

Its almost like directors commentary, great community engagement tho I'm gonna make sure I send a message to my buds over live to remind them to nab this on Friday.

ashism

This game totally came out of left field for me. Stopped by the store to grab infamous, saw a 360 copy of RF:G, (among other early releases, I love Long Beach).

Buying 2 free roaming games at once could have easily been my regret for the year. I knew infamous would be good, but I had no idea what to expect from RF:G.

Totally blown away, I am having so much fun, I cannot believe it. The MP is a blast too, I can't wait for tuesday so I can play with more people.

GOTY contender in my book. So fun!

EDIT: I realized that wasn't a very explanatory post, but I don't care, I am gonna go back to playing RF:G.

Top Bottom