• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 has gone gold

Alienous

wasted a 1.5 hour round trip because walmart told me they'd hold a couple of copies. They even had the shit out on shelves. Then when I got there they wouldn't sell.

not even mad they wouldn't sell, just the fact they wasted my time. (and sold a friend of a friend a copy last night)

You can't borrow the copy from your friend? He should be done by now.

creepy-herman-cain.gif

I'm just kidding.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Every time when asked they clearly said that its a cinematic (smooth transitions from cutscene to gameplay in realtime) action game focused on story telling with history background. Also they admitted the approach they are taking in the gameplay section of this game is risky but still wanted to do as they don't like to rehash already working formula in new generation so wanted to try something new.
Exactly.

potam

Banned
Ah. I didn't know if he sweet talked them into it or if they just did it no problem. That's weird that they just overrode the street date for him but won't do it for you.

probably luck of the draw as to who rang him up. I just can't believe they refused to sell it after telling me they'd hold a couple of copies and for me to drive up there

If people want to rent the game, its up to them. Everyone values what they want in a game differently. Plus, $60 might be a bit much for them to put down on launch day even if they want to have the experience right away.

Nothing wrong with that.

$60 is a lot for me too. Thank god for Best Buy Gamers Club.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
not great apparently. I spoke with the store manager but she wouldn't budge, and their corporate contact number is closed today. They did give me a $25 gift card, but the fuck am I gonna use that for?

You can use the gift card to get $25 off the game when it comes out... Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

I see. Well, I'm just sad to see many people switching to rentals because of all the rumors. Anyway, have we got any new impression of this game? I would love to hear those :)

They need quantity over quality experience and also don't want something new experience. Most of the users these days got addicted to more action and multiplayer games, so they are not going to appreciate no matter how good the story, sound, atmoshphere etc., in single player game and they need multiplayer and many hours repetitive game to have fun instead of few quality hours of content something good.

benny_a

not great apparently. I spoke with the store manager but she wouldn't budge, and their corporate contact number is closed today. They did give me a $25 gift card, but the fuck am I gonna use that for?
That seems like good compensation for giving you false hope on the phone.

They need quantity over quality experience and also don't want something new experience. Most of the users these days got addicted to more action and multiplayer games, so they are not going to appreciate no matter how good the story, sound, atmoshphere etc., in single player game and they need multiplayer and many hours repetitive game to have fun instead of few quality hours of content something good.
Many of the games this game competes against is providing a lot of people a lot of value, perceived or otherwise.

Not being traded in is a big concern for publishers and unfortunately that influences the kind of games are being made.

tuxfool

Banned
Not being traded in is a big concern for publishers and unfortunately that influences the kind of games are being made.

TBH, that situation is slightly different for first party. Their objective is to justify their platform as well as make money directly on game sales. I'd say this is one of the reasons that first party games are often held up to a higher standard.

I for one, appreciate the fact that first parties have fewer constraints in creative freedom that third parties couldn't countenance.

benny_a

TBH, that situation is slightly different for first party. Their objective is to justify their platform as well as make money. I'd say this is one of the reasons that first party games are often held up to a higher standard.

I for one, appreciate the fact that first parties have fewer constraints in creative freedom that third parties couldn't countenance.
I'm 100% with you. I would say the further game software is from the investor the better it is for games that take creative risks in the big budget realm.

That way they are also less beholden to hitting financial quarters when needed.
The release dates of course are still influenced by external factors like strategic needs but it's still one big reason less to not give a game the extra months they might need.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't have an internet connection after moving, I wonder if I'll be able to download any day 1 updates to a USB stick

probably luck of the draw as to who rang him up. I just can't believe they refused to sell it after telling me they'd hold a couple of copies and for me to drive up there
I just came back from Walmart with a copy. Had to pour on the charm to get the manager to override it; she said don't tell anybody or I'll come get you, so I told her don't threaten me with a good time. My wife wasn't with me of course!

I'll check into the impression thread in a couple of hours. I know man, it sucks; I would have been pissed too if I was you.

Top Bottom