• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 New Previews, More

nib95

Banned
This game...this game generate so much hate!
3-4 threads dedicated to The order alone, I guess good for RAD for much needed attention.

Big budget major exclusive with class leading graphics and similarities to The Last of Us and Gears of War? Oh yea, I'd imagine it'll continue. Some of it with merit, most of it without.

Saying that, it's not something that only exclusives have to deal with mind, look at Watchdogs. For some reason that game amassed staggering amounts of hate, mostly unwarranted. There's likely lots of crow to be eaten now I'd imagine, given the game actually ended up being solid. I appreciate that they dropped the ball with the graphical downgrades, but the vitriol towards the game has been…well…excessive imo.

This game...this game generate so much hate!
3-4 threads dedicated to The order alone, I guess good for RAD for much needed attention.

It's hilarious how many people who I've never seen comment on Sony stuff before suddenly have a vested interest in this game.

Still looking forward to this game but I can't get over the fact there's no co-op. Especially when just about every bit of gameplay we've seen has at least one other person with you.

Raist

Banned
I've seen the two videos and from the videos, I thought the guns/bullets didn't seem weighty. And that wasn't even the isolated complaint, lol. There are four written hands-on previews; two (Eurogamer/Destructoid) had some negative things to say about the weapons (Hell, Eurogamer said, "but The Order is a third-person shooter at its core, and right now there's nothing about the combat that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and demands you play more." which is pretty damning and) and two (CVG/Eurogamer) pretty much said the game is more style over substance from what they've played/seen (CVG even said, "If nothing else, the demo confirms that The Order really does look as impressive in action as it does in those spectacular videos - there's no trickery involved. It's a visual masterpiece. But this was the E3 demo's only notable feature.") It's obvious that you're not trying to look/believe anything bad/possibly worrying about the game, so I don't know why we're having this discussion since their complaints and my complaints pretty much align.

Right. Well to me it's obvious that you're trying to selectively collect every possible bit of negative opinion, even when they have nothing to do with each other.
Like putting together your original complaint (or some other's) about the bullets not feeling "weighty" - which is the whole fucking point of the gun - as for the pistol - 1) it's a pistol, not a shotgun - 2) there's several instances of one shots; now with stuff about how this game does not reinvent TPS or "not having notable features" (whatever the hell that means). You're a bit all over the place.

So it seems now we've moved from "game looks boring" to "bububut the thermite bullets don't do enough damage" because most previews say the game is fun, and some feel like the weapons lack punch (while missing the point of one of them). Maybe after E3 we'll move to "the werewolves don't have enough hair. Disappointing" and you'll care about that. Who knows.

Rembrandt

Banned
Right. Well to me it's obvious that you're trying to selectively collect every possible bit of negative opinion, even when they have nothing to do with each other.
Like putting together your original complaint (or some other's) about the bullets not feeling "weighty" - which is the whole fucking point of the gun - as for the pistol - 1) it's a pistol, not a shotgun - 2) there's several instances of one shots; now with stuff about how this game does not reinvent TPS or "not having notable features" (whatever the hell that means). You're a bit all over the place.

What in the fuck does the first part even mean? Why would the negative opinions have to coincide? They're complaints. You literally just gave me instructions on making an "informed opinion" by reading and looking at everything, so when I do that, you expect me to just overlook or ignore the negative things in the previews even though every single one besides the Polygon one voiced a complaint similar to one I had in either this thread or a previous one.

You're acting like I'm making shit up or something. I'm literally copying from the previews, so if you don't think their criticisms are warranted, complain to them.

shem935

Banned
They're in the Eurogamer and Destructoid previews.

Barely serviceable? Okay I will look for their comments on that. I expect most of the guns to spin wildly in characters hands shooting you instead of the enemy.

The fucking hyperbole needs to stop. No the combat is not barely fucking serviceable. Anyone with eyes can tell that at worst the combat might get boring stretched over a campaign. It's not barely serviceable give me a fucking break.

I read through the Eurogamer preview. Unless I am missing something here is all the opinion on the gameplay

So, what's The Order like to play? The five or so minutes of gameplay available rekindle memories of Gears of War, with a dash of Naughty Dog's Uncharted and a twist of Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain. Ready at Dawn's alternative Victorian London is an incredibly detailed but dank and grey place. That's the nature of the 19th Century London beast, of course.

Barely serviceable people you heard it here first.

Rembrandt

Banned
Barely serviceable? Okay I will look for their comments on that. I expect most of the guns to spin wildly in characters hands shooting you instead of the enemy.

The fucking hyperbole needs to stop. No the combat is not barely fucking serviceable. Anyone with eyes can tell that at worst the combat might get boring stretched over a campaign. It's not barely serviceable give me a fucking break.

lmao, you guys are mad. calm down. the game is 9 months from release. people are going to have their complaints and more than likely, when the game comes out, the things people complained about will be gone. How is this for hyperbole:

Eurogamer said:
From what I've played, then, The Order's combat is perfectly serviceable but also forgettable. Having a seamless filmic experience, or whatever you want to call it, is all well and good, but The Order is a third-person shooter at its core, and right now there's nothing about the combat that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and demands you play more. For all the visual effects on show, the shooting lacks spark.

Huh? Destructoid's preview was the most positive.

I know that. He quoted that poster asking which previews had complaints about the gunplay and Destructoid is the only one that complained about the pistol being weak and called it a toy gun before the part in the video where you have to drag the guy that got shot.

shem935

Banned
lmao, you guys are mad. calm down. the game is 9 months from release. people are going to have their complaints and more than likely, when the game comes out, the things people complained about will be gone. How is this for hyperbole:

I know that. He quoted that poster asking which previews had complaints about the gunplay and Destructoid is the only one that complained about the pistol being weak and called it a toy gun before the part in the video where you have to drag the guy that got shot.

YES! And you said that the Eurogamer preview mentions the "Barely serviceable gameplay". That's what I was asking links for. The quote you provided disproves exactly that. Soooooooo? I'm tired of the hyperbole surrounding this game. From the downgrade to the upgrade, the jackets not being special and ornate so that must mean downgrade, to twitch livestream feed suddenly being a basis for a judgement of quality, to the "Barely serviceable gameplay" and "lol make a movie" comments. It is all trite nonsense all spewed out for the sole purpose of creating controversy and tension within a community that is supposed to be one of the more levelheaded, logical, and intelligent forums about video games.

Rembrandt

Banned
YES! And you said that the Eurogamer preview mentions the "Barely serviceable gameplay". That's what I was asking links for. The quote you provided disproves exactly that. Soooooooo?

your reading comprehension cannot be that bad. you asked which previews talked about the supposed barely serviceable gunplay.

Eurogamer said:
While no-one can dispute that the game's graphics are hot, though, the feel of the gunplay leaves me cold. The weapons feel lightweight and the bullets they fire even lighter, and it seems the AI enemies don't always react to being shot with the force you'd expect.

Granted, I wasn't the one that said the combat was "barely serviceable," you can choose if that was hyperbole or not (and I'm sure he meant the gun play wasn't as tight/heavy/visceral as hoped), but either way, Eurogamer had negative comments about the gunplay.

nib95

Banned
They're in the Eurogamer and Destructoid previews.

Destructoid previews? Huh…
Destructoid said:
The Order: 1886 looks great from what little Sony will show us

After finally having some hands-on time with The Order: 1886, all the positives that we saw before are reaffirmed, but five minutes of solid gameplay isn't exactly enough to warrant shouting its praises from the mountaintops.

While the cover system was effective enough, it was the introduction of the Thermite Rifle that made the demo a thoroughly enjoyable affair.

Oh yeah, it's also a ton of fun to shoot semi-wildly and light groups of enemies on fire.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed -- not in what I saw, that was mostly great, but in that I couldn't spend more time with it. The cinematic approach to visuals looked fantastic in practice, and it seems as if the technology-driven weaponry will be a real treat to use.

This was their only real negative.
Destructoid said:
During the slice that we were shown, that will almost certainly have to be the player's course of action. The Order: 1886 borderline demands it. The sidearm pistol was almost hilariously under-powered, and the iron pellets by themselves were mostly useless, also. In fact, it even took a couple fire showers to dispatch most enemies, as if being lit aflame once wouldn't be enough to make most people pack it in and call it a day.

The reason for inordinate enemy toughness might have to do with the game's unusual plot device. In this alternate reality of expedited innovation and technological advances, a mysterious liquid called Black Water was discovered. Black Water is notable for its healing properties, and its ability to significantly extend lifespans. However, it's a limited resource and doesn't make its imbiber immortal, just able to live potentially hundreds of years.

Certainly not seeing anything remotely resembling "serviceable gunplay"….

shem935

Banned
your reading comprehension cannot be that bad. you asked which previews talked about the supposed barely serviceable gunplay.

Granted, I wasn't the one that said the combat was "barely serviceable," you can choose if that was hyperbole or not (and I'm sure he meant the gun play wasn't as tight/heavy/visceral as hoped), but either way, Eurogamer had negative comments about the gunplay.

Personal attacks will get you no where. I can bold the part that says perfectly serviceable and "like gears of war" if I must. Nowhere in there does it say it is barely serviceable. He said he didn't like the pistol because it didn't have enough punch, the enemies don't react realistically, and that he is jaded on third person shooters. (my inference)

Rembrandt

Banned
Destructoid previews? Huh…

This was their only real negative.

Certainly not seeing anything remotely resembling "serviceable gunplay"….

The bottom quote about the pistol is literally the only thing that matters since that's exactly what he was asking for. The first poster said something about barely serviceable gunplay, he was asked for links to which previews said something about the gunplay (although I think he was looking for those literal words which is lmao-worthy) and Destructoid obviously said negative things about the combat.

Some of you guys are seriously going to move goalposts when there's something even a little negative, huh?

Rembrandt

Banned
Personal attacks will get you no where. I can bold the part that says perfectly serviceable and "like gears of war" if I must. Nowhere in there does it say it is barely serviceable. He said he didn't like the pistol because it didn't have enough punch, the enemies don't react realistically, and that he is jaded on third person shooters. (my inference)

So like I said, you were looking for the words "barely serviceable?" and you'll disregard complaints because those words aren't included and you'll even try to determine if the person doesn't like TPS to further invalidate his point, but okay.

As it stands, Polygon's preview is literally the only one that doesn't have something negative to say. I don't know what you guys want to do about that, but people that have played the game have some complaints and the complaints they listed in their previews align with most of the complaints here.

which one is it?

lmao, got me thinking you didn't even read the posts you quoted. Destructoid is the only preview that had negative things to say about the pistol, but 3/4 of the previews had something negative to say. How is that even hard to comprehend?

shem935

Banned
The bottom quote about the pistol is literally the only thing that matters since that's exactly what he was asking for. The first poster said something about barely serviceable gunplay, he was asked for links to which previews said something about the gunplay (although I think he was looking for those literal words which is lmao-worthy) and Destructoid obviously said negative things about the combat.

Some of you guys are seriously going to move goalposts when there's something even a little negative, huh?

Okay whatever I'm done. An under powered pistol is not anything remotely akin to "barely serviceable". And you can take your lmao and stick it. I wasn't looking for the direct quote you know what I was looking for. They criticize a pistol and how enemies react. And I am not ignoring flaws, I recognize that the minor flaws in the game do not suddenly equal awful gameplay.

charsace

This game has a stylized look like Ryse and Infamous that's fucking annoying. That tech demo that Activision did still has the best faces and the UFC game has been the game that has come closest to matching it far.

nib95

Banned

What the hell dude…you just ignored all the quotes about how the gunplay was "thoroughly enjoyable" to them, and how the main weapon was "a ton of fun to shoot", and think one comment about the pistol being underpowered (explained as likely being because the enemies were on Black Water) is an example of them finding the gunplay "barely serviceable"…..

Hmm…

I honestly don't see how anyone could read Destructoid's preview and possibly come away with the opinion that they thought the gunplay was barely serviceable. Unless of course you had that preconceived opinion and were looking for something to merely reaffirm it….

Rembrandt

Banned
Okay whatever I'm done. An under powered pistol is not anything remotely akin to "barely serviceable". And you can take your lmao and stick it. I wasn't looking for the direct quote you know what I was looking for. They criticize a pistol and how enemies react. And I am not ignoring flaws, I recognize that the minor flaws in the game do not suddenly equal awful gameplay.

Nah, it's clear you were looking for the words "barely serviceable" and weren't going to settle for anything less. Let's be real, no preview was going to have those words for a big title and then you completely disregarded Eurogamer's preview which straight out stated:

While no-one can dispute that the game's graphics are hot, though, the feel of the gunplay leaves me cold. The weapons feel lightweight and the bullets they fire even lighter, and it seems the AI enemies don't always react to being shot with the force you'd expect.

Reading that, you know his point is hyperbole but you see what he means.

What the hell dude…you just ignored all the quotes about how the gunplay was "thoroughly enjoyable" to them, and how the main weapon was "a ton of fun to shoot", and think one comment about the pistol being underpowered (explained as likely being because the enemies were on Black Water) is an example of them finding the gunplay only "serviceable"…..

Hmm...

Jesus. That's where you're wrong. I'm not the one that said the gunplay was barely serviceable. He quoted the guy that said that asking for links to where they said that, all I did was tell him the only two articles that had something remotely bad to say about the shooting, either in general or just one part. Eurogamer and Destructoid are the only ones that said anything about the shooting.

orochi91

What the hell dude…you just ignored all the quotes about how the gunplay was "thoroughly enjoyable" to them, and how the main weapon was "a ton of fun to shoot", and think one comment about the pistol being underpowered (explained as likely being because the enemies were on Black Water) is an example of them finding the gunplay only "serviceable"…..

Hmm...

Ignore him. His intentionally dense behavior, peppered with dismissive "lmao" will only further result in frustration.

As for the game, I wonder what kind of transportation will be available. Since this is alternative history/future tech.

steven28

My god i cannot wait to play this game,third person games are my favorite genre and this seems like it has lots of the elements i love about games.I hope they show some more of the world at e3 and if those concept shots of the busy london streets made it into the final game.

nib95

Banned
Ignore him. His intentionally dense behavior, peppered with dismissive "lmao" will only further result in frustration.

As for the game, I wonder what kind of transportation will be available. Since this is alternative history/future tech.

That's an interesting question. Horse riding has to be in it at least at some point surely? We know they use a horse and carriage in a cut scene. Might even get to ride an old English locomotive train at some point. But I'm guessing most of it will just be on foot.

Can't wait for e3 to see more. Gunplay is awesome and all, but i hope the e3 demo is more slower paced...maybe an open area with npc's before going to the half-breeds.

shem935

Banned
That's an interesting question. Horse riding has to be in it at least at some point surely? We know they use a horse and carriage in a cut scene. Might even get to ride an old English locomotive train at some point. But I'm guessing most of it will just be on foot.

Would be cool if they tried something similar to UC2 train sequence in this game.

OsirisBlack

Banned

How cool would it be to have a segment that starts with you chasing someone through a busy city street and going into a train station.Only to have the person you are chasing jump on a train with you following them inside and having a shootout in a very crowded area. Pedestrians panicking lights shattering...... WANT IT NOW!!

HORRORSHØW

Can't wait for e3 to see more. Gunplay is awesome and all, but i hope the e3 demo is more slower paced...maybe an open area with npc's before going to the half-breeds.

yeah. i want to see more of the world and its inhabitants, and see what you do in-between gun battles.

The game looks -and apparently, plays- great. I can accept valid criticisms but, my god, the hate in GAF these last months....
Who gets to decide what constitutes valid criticism?

Maybe referring to any negativity (or just a lack of buy-in) as "hate" isn't the best idea. Not if you actually want any conversation.

charsace

Gun play looks good to me and the game looks like it'll play like Gears so I want it. People should probably start thinking Gears with a steam punk setting. The way Polygon talked about the lead guy sounds like he has a Marcus Fenix type of personality.

What in the world?
All 3 of these games slightly stylize the looks of their characters in certain ways. Look at the eyes of the characters in Crysis 3 and compare them to the way eyes look in Ryse and then tell me the characters aren't slightly stylized.

Gun play looks good to me and the game looks like it'll play like Gears so I want it. People should probably start thinking Gears with a steam punk setting. The way Polygon talked about the lead guy sounds like he has a Marcus Fenix type of personality.

Char are you just messing around? I honestly can't tell.

nib95

Banned
How cool would it be to have a segment that starts with you chasing someone through a busy city street and going into a train station.Only to have the person you are chasing jump on a train with you following them inside and having a shootout in a very crowded area. Pedestrians panicking lights shattering...... WANT IT NOW!!

RAD….listen to this man.

Shit, go one step further, have the train sequence take place over sunset, culminating with it crashing in the middle of some rural environment, with the villain running out in to the fields towards a forest, following with a full moon case, and ending with a one on one, creepy as fuck forest battle with a crazed werewolf, who jumps between tree's and darkness in the thick of the forest night.

This game reminds me a lot of infamous before it came out. A lot of people were ragging on it, saying the gameplay looked boring and it was just another third person game. There was a lot of skepticism surrounding it. I think it got a little more of a break though because it was an already established franchise.

The fact that this game is trying to hang with the big boys in a very looked at genre (the shooter) and that it is a new IP makes a lot of people want to come in and find reasons that it sucks.

I think it looks awesome and can't wait to see some extended previews and what this game really has to offer. You know they still have a lot of cool stuff left to show.

This game has a stylized look like Ryse and Infamous that's fucking annoying. That tech demo that Activision did still has the best faces and the UFC game has been the game that has come closest to matching it far.

HJskai8.jpg

iVU5oIkw0ljwE.png

Male fighters look laughably bad, especially the close-up faces. They might look good far away but the order characters maintain consistency.

image_ea_sports_ufc-24179-2734_0012.jpg

image_ea_sports_ufc-24179-2734_0013.jpg

image_ea_sports_ufc-24179-2734_0001.jpg

imEoalqoawyvz.png

ikI1I1NPmgZ6s.png

iNCschbV5Ky3k.png

Considering the gun they've been showing off that kind of scenario could end up very... messy.

Like Spec Ops: The Line messy.

I'm definitely a fan of adding more ambient life to games, including pedestrians both in and out of dangerous situations. That street scene in the concept art is a place I'd love to visit for a spell.

thuway

You legit took all of Nib's rebuttal and selectively isolated the one remotely critical aspect and peddled a conclusion that didn't exist in the source material. "Serviceable" is the last word I would use to describe the author's interpretation of the gunplay.

charsace

HJskai8.jpg

iVU5oIkw0ljwE.png

Male fighters look laughably bad, especially the close-up faces. They might look good far away but the order characters maintain consistency.

image_ea_sports_ufc-24179-2734_0012.jpg

image_ea_sports_ufc-24179-2734_0013.jpg

image_ea_sports_ufc-24179-2734_0001.jpg

This is what the UFC game looks like in motion:

idUDaGz4KGPQD.gif

And this gif isn't night time lighting like what they have shown of The Order so far.

And your pics show what I'm talking about when I say the look of the characters are slightly stylized. The eyes of the characters in The Order are slightly smaller than you normally see in real life and all look similar in shape where as in the UFC pics they all look different. Slightly stylized graphics seems like its gonna be the thing this gen.

Rembrandt

Banned
You legit took all of Nib's rebuttal and selectively isolated the one remotely critical aspect and peddled a conclusion that didn't exist in the source material. "Serviceable" is the last word I would use to describe the author's interpretation of the gunplay.

Once again, I wasn't the one that said the gunplay was barely serviceable, so is that we're about to argue about? To anyone that read the previews, the post that did say that was hyperbole but it should also be pretty evident to those that read the previews that there are complaints about the gameplay. Some people in this thread act like I've been lying since my first post, disregarding that everything I've been saying is straight from the previews.

This is what the UFC game looks like in motion:

idUDaGz4KGPQD.gif

And this gif isn't night time lighting like what they have shown of The Order so far.

And your pics show what I'm talking about when I say the look of the characters are slightly stylized. The eyes of the characters in The Order are slightly smaller than you normally see in real life and all look similar in shape where as in the UFC pics they all look different. Slightly stylized graphics seems like its gonna be the thing this gen.

Regarding the eyes, crytek and QD are the king. To me the eyes is what can make or break the character model and i complained in earlier order threads about them and it looks like they did fix them a bit in comparison to the older models.
i6RcSqt81wtV7.png

Top Bottom