• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 New Previews, More

The Order is a third-person shooter, and it’s billed as the first game in a franchise of titles that may also spill out into other forms of media. Set in an alternate post-industrial revolution London, the game’s steampunk, almost Dickensian veneer was researched by a snap-happy studio trip to London, in which Weerasuriya and his crew took over 38,000 photos of the city.

Why? Well, the game’s core hook isn’t steampunk, or the arkane, or even those brilliant twirled moustaches we’ve seen so far. Those photos were actually research for both the game’s aesthetic design and the team’s material creation tools, as well as its bespoke ‘Abel’ physics engine. We were shown photos of zoomed-in cobblestones, of granite and gravel, each taken to make the world of The Order visually impressive, believable and most importantly – destructible.

The game has dynamic destruction, and while we’re not talking about Battlefield 4 levels of military bombast, Ready At Dawn’s surface and environmental destruction is rather impressive. We saw Weerasuriya jump into a stone courtyard and pumped rounds from the protagonist’s Combogun – an assault rifle and shotgun hybrid – into a brass fixture set into a wall. The object crumpled and imploded with force after each round found its mark, deforming it in real-time.

He then spawned in a bunch of teddy bears and went all Robocop on their stuffed asses, first blowing off a head, and then four limbs one at a time. This might sound like a gimmick, but we were all assured that dynamic destruction, texture warping and convincing object physics lie at the heart of The Order: 1886′s gameplay. When the crowd asked why, we were told it wasn’t yet time for that particular discussion.

What I can tell you is that the game looks brilliant, as in next-gen brilliant, not just a small leap in fidelity. We were treated to a fly-over through an underground plaza lined with pubs, meandering NPCs and street lamps so convincing you could almost hear the bulbs hum. At the end of the street sat a mosaic, with each raised tile impacting the way those lights dances across its surface

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/21/ps4-gamescom-2013-sony-brings-its-next-gen-darlings-to-cologne/
thread about this article http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657629

Read the text above, and pay closer attention to "meandering NPCs" mention. :)
I hope this game is like the next Half-Life 2 I'm terms of the way physics affects gameplay. Work it in in ways we've never seen before. I want a magnetism cannon.

ibimowyJLDgklZ.gif

We've officially arrived at the CGI = gameplay look. So beautiful!

StuBurns

Banned
I hear you are excited about Jack the Ripper being very likely an important character?
You mean in The Order or Penny Dreadful?

I can't wait to find out it was an unaware American werewolf with a heart of gold all along, how fitting of Britian's most infamous serial killer.

I hear season two of Masters of Sex will feature Starkweather babysitting for Lizzy Caplan.

The Order is a third-person shooter, and it’s billed as the first game in a franchise of titles that may also spill out into other forms of media. Set in an alternate post-industrial revolution London, the game’s steampunk, almost Dickensian veneer was researched by a snap-happy studio trip to London, in which Weerasuriya and his crew took over 38,000 photos of the city.

Why? Well, the game’s core hook isn’t steampunk, or the arkane, or even those brilliant twirled moustaches we’ve seen so far. Those photos were actually research for both the game’s aesthetic design and the team’s material creation tools, as well as its bespoke ‘Abel’ physics engine. We were shown photos of zoomed-in cobblestones, of granite and gravel, each taken to make the world of The Order visually impressive, believable and most importantly – destructible.

The game has dynamic destruction, and while we’re not talking about Battlefield 4 levels of military bombast, Ready At Dawn’s surface and environmental destruction is rather impressive. We saw Weerasuriya jump into a stone courtyard and pumped rounds from the protagonist’s Combogun – an assault rifle and shotgun hybrid – into a brass fixture set into a wall. The object crumpled and imploded with force after each round found its mark, deforming it in real-time.

He then spawned in a bunch of teddy bears and went all Robocop on their stuffed asses, first blowing off a head, and then four limbs one at a time. This might sound like a gimmick, but we were all assured that dynamic destruction, texture warping and convincing object physics lie at the heart of The Order: 1886′s gameplay. When the crowd asked why, we were told it wasn’t yet time for that particular discussion.

What I can tell you is that the game looks brilliant, as in next-gen brilliant, not just a small leap in fidelity. We were treated to a fly-over through an underground plaza lined with pubs, meandering NPCs and street lamps so convincing you could almost hear the bulbs hum. At the end of the street sat a mosaic, with each raised tile impacting the way those lights dances across its surface

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/21/ps4-gamescom-2013-sony-brings-its-next-gen-darlings-to-cologne/
thread about this article http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657629

Read the text above, and pay closer attention to "meandering NPCs" mention. :)
This sounds awesome

But this game has the worst PR in history

Seriously the amount of times "we were told it wasn’t yet time for that particular discussion" seems to come up in regards to this game is ridiculous

At the moment they revealed it a year ago, and we've seen about two streets, 15 seconds of gameplay and one gun being used. And far too much winking and nudging. Why not show us what is good about this game? Show the awesome destruction and cool array of weapons etc. If you are going to be secretive you need to do at least one big blowout like TLOU had

Mifune

Mehmber
Does melee involve more than the QTE stuff they've shown?
Is there any sort of traversal gameplay?
How does the soft-body physics affect gameplay? Is that still in? Are we going to see more of it before release?
Any puzzle elements?
Can we interact with different people in the city?

Just some questions off the top of my head that I wish someone would have asked at this preview event.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
At the moment they revealed it a year ago, and we've seen about two streets, 15 seconds of gameplay and one gun being used. And far too much winking and nudging. Why not show us what is good about this game? Show the awesome destruction and cool array of weapons etc. If you are going to be secretive you need to do at least one big blowout like TLOU had

if only there were an electronic entertainment expo of some sort coming up so that they could have a big blowout of such that you speak of.

but you are right. they should just show everything now, while no one is looking.

spwolf

Who said they were too powerful?

Only Polygon (from the written previews) hinted at it being overly powerful.

lmao, salty, huh?

From destructoid:

why would i be salty? Do you know what salty means?

In any case, watch the videos, plenty of them around and then comment on the weapons as right now you are not making much sense when you refuse to watch videos and instead copy and paste what someone else wrote.

nib95

Banned
How the fudge can anyone say this is underpowered? I swear, too many gamers these days just want their hands held the entire step of the way.

kwakpv.gif

Raist

Banned
"His machine gun spray missed more often than it hit at medium distances, and given that his opponents could already soak up tons of bullets before going down, it ultimately made the demo's shootout into a fairly tedious and protracted affair."

and there's another preview that said even the thermite gun didn't kill the enemies automatically, along with the pistol seemingly barely doing damage.

the fact that they say "missed more often than it hit" clearly shows that they missed the point of that weapon. You don't care if you hit or not, it's an AoE-type weapon. The "bullets" do fuck all damage because they're just basically light projectiles full of flammable powder meant to "blow up" on impact.

Raist

Banned
You mean in The Order or Penny Dreadful?

I can't wait to find out it was an unaware American werewolf with a heart of gold all along, how fitting of Britian's most infamous serial killer.

I hear season two of Masters of Sex will feature Starkweather babysitting for Lizzy Caplan.

Sorry mate, you're wrong about the plot. I revealed it here

Rembrandt

Banned
why would i be salty? Do you know what salty means?

In any case, watch the videos, plenty of them around and then comment on the weapons as right now you are not making much sense when you refuse to watch videos and instead copy and paste what someone else wrote.

I watched the videos. I don't get why you're acting like I'm spreading lies when two previews from people that played it complained about the weapons being weak/enemies being bulletsponges. And there's only two videos excluding the few extra clips GT has and the latest one is the one that really showed combat. you're being silly.

Rembrandt

Banned
the fact that they say "missed more often than it hit" clearly shows that they missed the point of that weapon. You don't care if you hit or not, it's an AoE-type weapon. The "bullets" do fuck all damage because they're just basically light projectiles full of flammable powder meant to "blow up" on impact.

eh, maybe. doesn't change the complaint about the pistol, though.

prwxv3

I watched the videos. I don't get why you're acting like I'm spreading lies when two previews from people that played it complained about the weapons being weak/enemies being bulletsponges. And there's only two videos excluding the few extra clips GT has and the latest one is the one that really showed combat. you're being silly.
The thermite rife does not kill enimies with its first firing mode. The first firing mode releases aluminum iron oxide that is ignited by the secondary flare shot of the termite rifle. So if you just used it like a regular machine gun it would do jack shit. And how did you miss this info if you watched the GT interview he clearly says this and when the gun is used you clearly see the bullets turning into clouds of dust

nib95

Banned

Pretty much. Anyway, it's a Jeremy Parish article on a big Playstation game, I'm not entirely surprised. He may end up also using his PS4 as mainly a "Blu-ray player or PlayStation 2 upscaler" instead of an actual games machine, just as he said he did with his PS3, despite it's wealth of fantastic games.

Rembrandt

Banned
The thermite rife does not kill enimies with its first firing mode. The first firing mode releases aluminum iron okie that is ignited by the secondary flare shot of the termite rifle. So if you just used it like a regular machine gun it would do jack shit.

I'm literally just reiterating what was in the previews, lol, don't know why some of you guys are so upset.

Pretty much. Anyway, it's a Jeremy Parish article on a big Playstation game, I'm not entirely surprised. He'll probably end up using the PS4 as mainly a "Blu-ray player or PlayStation 2 upscaler" instead of an actual games machine, just as he said he did with the PS3, despite it's wealth of fantastic games.

How do you feel about Eurogamer's preview which is by far the most negative.

viveks86

It would confirm that there's more to the game than just shootout after shootout. I hope there's some meaningful interaction with NPC's. Give the game some adventure elements.

Ah.. I guess I had internalized that article a while ago that I had pretty much taken that for granted. :D

Shin-Ra

At this point in the GT video I was saying to myself "keep going, keep going... argh!"

fiytbk.gif

The lighting change from inside to out looks incredible.

nib95

Banned
How do you feel about Eurogamer's preview which is by far the most negative.

It sounds more reasonable, and the complaints are slightly less farcical. Having said that, it is still an outlier opinion compared to all the other previews, so I'd rather focus on the majority opinion and what I can see with my own eyes.

spwolf

because what you are writing isnt being shown on the videos... thermite machine gun looks even too powerful, while pistol is just fine and you can single shot kill with it, which is kind of absurd - if anything, it is too accurate, those pistols were crap.

so watching these videos and saying weapons are weak, is pretty much not true at all... besides, old school pistol is most basic weapon, what exactly do you want to be able to do with it? Kill 20 people in 10 seconds?

GT videos and few others show it properly.

if only there were an electronic entertainment expo of some sort coming up so that they could have a big blowout of such that you speak of.

but you are right. they should just show everything now, while no one is looking.
Is there any indication we will see anything different at E3?

Rembrandt

Banned
It sounds more reasonable, and the complaints are less farcical. Having said that, it is still an outlier compared to all the other previews, so I'd rather focus on the majority opinion and what I can see with my own eyes.

Compared to Destructoid's, even though they pretty much said the same thing? What's the majority opinion because it seems like only Polygon's article was overwhelmingly positive. The other written previews linked pretty much say what a lot of people on GAF are saying; it looks like Sony's Gears of War, they need to show more of the game, bullets don't seem impactful, etc.

because what you are writing isnt being shown on the videos... thermite machine gun looks even too powerful, while pistol is just fine and you can single shot kill with it, which is kind of absurd - if anything, it is too accurate, those pistols were crap.

so watching these videos and saying weapons are weak, is pretty much not true at all... besides, old school pistol is most basic weapon, what exactly do you want to be able to do with it? Kill 20 people in 10 seconds?

GT videos and few others show it properly.

The 5 min video Sony/RAD put out doesn't show the issues people brought up in previews, who would have thought. I mean, they actually played the game, not just watched a video.

velociraptor

I personally think every member of RAD should play a copy of Max Payne 3 for gunplay inspiration.

Rockstar absolutely nailed the shooting mechanics.

prwxv3

Compared to Destructoid's, even though they pretty much said the same thing? What's the majority opinion because it seems like only Polygon's article was overwhelmingly positive. The other written previews linked pretty much say what a lot of people on GAF are saying; it looks like Sony's Gears of War, they need to show more of the game, bullets don't seem impactful, etc.

The 5 min video Sony/RAD put out doesn't show the issues people brought up in previews, who would have thought. I mean, they actually played the game, not just watched a video.

If they are just using the thermite riffle as a regular machine gun then that's not a legitimate complaint (if they did anyway) the pistol criticism is probably legitimate though.

spwolf

oh, so you actually saw the videos, saw how powerful thermite gun is and how pistol can do one shot kills, yet you prefer to quote some articles instead of believing your own eyes.

thats quite interesting... there is nothing really to argue obviously, since you dont seem interested in weapons at all.

prwxv3

oh, so you actually saw the videos, saw how powerful thermite gun is and how pistol can do one shot kills, yet you prefer to quote some articles instead of believing your own eyes.

thats quite interesting... there is nothing really to argue obviously, since you dont seem interested in weapons at all.

Playing and looking are two different things bro.

Don't tell me we have to press triangle to pick up ammo? If you are carrying the weapon the ammo goes with, you should automatically pick it up. I know that breaks the illusion but I'd rather have that instead of hitting triangle every time I see ammo.

Rembrandt

Banned

lmao, cool, when I play the game, I want my thermite gun to do exactly the same thing in this video every time. I'm sure that preview was lying when they said their thermite gun didn't automatically kill those enemies that one time, so when I play, I shouldn't have to worry about that.

If they are just using the thermite riffle as a regular machine gun then that's not a legitimate complaint (if they did anyway) the pistol criticism is probably legitimate though.

yeah, if they were using the gun wrong, it's a dumb complaint. but if two previews from hands on has to point out the weapons, then maybe they're telling the truth.

prwxv3

lmao, cool, when I play the game, I want my thermite gun to do exactly the same thing in this video every time. I'm sure that preview was lying when they said their thermite gun didn't automatically kill those enemies that one time, so when I play, I shouldn't have to worry about that.

yeah, if they were using the gun wrong, it's a dumb complaint. but if two previews from hands on has to point out the weapons, then maybe they're telling the truth.

I think one of them was since he complained it was not very accurate and bullets were missing targets easily.

nib95

Banned

Who cares if it shares similarities with Gears of War or any other TPS, that doesn't mean it'll be any less fun. It doesn't need to re-invent the wheel, just be a damn nice ride.
Polygon said:
I was given an opportunity to play a short (very, very short) section of The Order and I will say from the out that it was fun, in a Gears of War, strangulated options sort of way.

My gun is terrific. It shoots multiple projectiles, which bury themselves in the woodwork around my targets. They do not seem to do much harm, until I augment them with a fireball, which lights up the projectiles. My enemies die horribly, soon to be replaced by new waves of roof-crawling baddies. We escape, move onto a new set of barricades and get down to some urgent exposition.

It's not terribly original, and the weapon's vast power is a cause for concern, but it is enjoyable. Why? Because it's tightly rendered and convincingly paced.

CVG said:
Easily the most interesting aspect of the demo - incredible visuals aside - is the sole gun we used. Instead of firing conventional bullets it shoots a rapid-fire stream of thermite - an explosive mix of metallic ingredients. But the thermite is harmless by itself, simply dousing enemies in a cough-inducing powder and doing very little damage - until you shoot the gun's secondary projectile, a flair.

But it's not all for show. The gun and its clever physics allow for some intriguing shooting strategies because it doesn't force players to use its two ammo types in any particular order. For example you can douse a specific target with thermite before lighting him up with a flair. Alternatively, if you face multiple targets hidden behind cover, you can shoot a flair at a wall behind them, where it will stick, and follow up with thermite that will bounce off the wall and rain down on your hidden and unsuspecting victims.

Destructoid said:
After finally having some hands-on time with The Order: 1886, all the positives that we saw before are reaffirmed, but five minutes of solid gameplay isn't exactly enough to warrant shouting its praises from the mountaintops.

While the cover system was effective enough, it was the introduction of the Thermite Rifle that made the demo a thoroughly enjoyable affair.

Oh yeah, it's also a ton of fun to shoot semi-wildly and light groups of enemies on fire.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed -- not in what I saw, that was mostly great, but in that I couldn't spend more time with it. The cinematic approach to visuals looked fantastic in practice, and it seems as if the technology-driven weaponry will be a real treat to use.

Joystiq said:
I actually really enjoyed using this gun.

It's a two step gun so it allows you a very small element of planning.

I really feel drawn in to the environment, and think the level of detail is quite remarkable.
The cinematic appeal really helps maintaining the flow of battle and story telling.

Rembrandt

Banned
Who cares if it shares similarities with Gears of War or any other TPS, that doesn't mean it'll be any less fun. It doesn't need to re-invent the wheel, just be a damn nice ride.

Did I say it would make it less fun or even imply it? I'm just pointing out the similarities that people tried to deny were there until the devs confirmed it. My problem with the game is that they've been talking about all of this cool shit, but they refuse to show any of it and when they finally do some gameplay, besides for graphics, it isn't anything truly impressive. It's just hype backlash and the hands-on previews aren't really alleviating any of my concerns. Also, I'm not even saying the gun isn't fun, so I don't know what you're trying to prove there, bruh.

It's mindblowing. People said don't judge the game off that first small clip of gameplay, then people said not to judge it off this last clip, now you guys are upset that I'm reiterating the things in the hands-on previews. How would you like people to judge this game? lmao.

nib95

Banned
Did I say it would make it less fun or even imply it? I'm just pointing out the similarities that people tried to deny were there until the devs confirmed it. My problem with the game is that they've been talking about all of this cool shit, but they refuse to show any of it and when they finally do some gameplay, besides for graphics, it isn't anything truly impressive. It's just hype backlash and the hands-on previews aren't really alleviating any of my concerns.

But that's just it, most people in this thread do think the gameplay shown is impressive, at least based on the posts in this thread.

- Amazing best in class graphics
- Rich, beautiful and atmospheric setting and potential lore
- Interesting and fun looking gunplay
- Seamless cover system
- Unique and intriguing looking weapons
- Beautiful effects and satisfying weapon abilities
- Slow motion black water effect that looks fun
- Fantastic animations and character facial expressions
- Good tertiary use of thermite clip as a means to melt metal objects

And that's in a tiny clip only a few minutes long.

And why would they need to show much more? The game is like 9 months away and E3 is right around the corner. We've seen much less from games that are only a few months from release.

Raist

Banned
It's mindblowing. People said don't judge the game off that first small clip of gameplay, then people said not to judge it off this last clip, now you guys are upset that I'm reiterating the things in the hands-on previews. How would you like people to judge this game? lmao.

Take every bit available (the numerous gameplay footage you can see, every write up about it, dev interviews) to form an informed opinion.

If you put all that together, trying to highlight an isolated complaint the "the gun doesn't seem to have very good aim" makes little sense, because it should easily tell you that this particular person kinda missed the point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Don't tell me we have to press triangle to pick up ammo? If you are carrying the weapon the ammo goes with, you should automatically pick it up. I know that breaks the illusion but I'd rather have that instead of hitting triangle every time I see ammo.
I always like picking up ammo. It adds risk/reward mid combat, forces you to move, and encourages environmental exploration.

Bumcleaver

Neo Member
Slightly disappointed at the delay, but by God those extra months will surely add spice to an already appetizing feast of visual splendor.

Rembrandt

Banned
But that's just it, most people in this thread do think the gameplay shown is impressive, at least based on the posts in this thread.

- Amazing best in class graphics
- Amazing setting and potential lore
- Interesting gunplay
- Seamless cover system
- Unique and intriguing looking weapons
- Beautiful effects and satisfying weapon abilities
- Slow motion black water effect that looks fun
- Fantastic animations and character facial expressions
- Good tertiary use of thermite clip as a means to melt metal objects

And that's in a tiny clip only a few minutes long.

And why would they need to show much more? The game is like 9 months away and E3 is right around the corner. We've seen much less from games that are only a few months from release.

Only read the first three pages, but from a visual or gameplay standpoint. From the comments I've seen, it seems to be mainly a visual thing, but I haven't read all of the thread, so whatever. So basically, you're agreeing that they've mainly been style over substance with the previews so far? We're just finding out today it got delayed; it was supposed to come out in the fall, so they should have shown more unless they knew about the delay for a while. I'm judging from what I've seen. From what I've seen, it's a great looking game but the gameplay isn't anything special. The previews gave off a different tone and judging from the general consensus of that last thread, people do agree. Why hype a game up with all these features, but refuse to show them? Of course, they will have something at E3 which means we've waited a year for substantial gameplay and they'll be going into it trying to convince a lot of people rather than just showing the game off.

Take every bit available (the numerous gameplay footage you can see, every write up about it, dev interviews) to form an informed opinion.

If you put all that together, trying to highlight an isolated complaint the "the gun doesn't seem to have very good aim" makes little sense, because it should easily tell you that this particular person kinda missed the point.

I've seen the two videos and from the videos, I thought the guns/bullets didn't seem weighty. And that wasn't even the isolated complaint, lol. There are four written hands-on previews; two (Eurogamer/Destructoid) had some negative things to say about the weapons (Hell, Eurogamer said, "but The Order is a third-person shooter at its core, and right now there's nothing about the combat that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and demands you play more." which is pretty damning and) and two (CVG/Eurogamer) pretty much said the game is more style over substance from what they've played/seen (CVG even said, "If nothing else, the demo confirms that The Order really does look as impressive in action as it does in those spectacular videos - there's no trickery involved. It's a visual masterpiece. But this was the E3 demo's only notable feature.") It's obvious that you're not trying to look/believe anything bad/possibly worrying about the game, so I don't know why we're having this discussion since their complaints and my complaints pretty much align.

wapplew

This game...this game generate so much hate!
3-4 threads dedicated to The order alone, I guess good for RAD for much needed attention.

Game looks banging. But the barely serviceable gunplay in some previews sounds a little concerning. Hopefully extra 3 or 4 months can help them flesh it out.

Top Bottom