• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 New Previews, More

Here it is, the eyes look a little better than before i think

ibyaivS9OGjlYK.png

charsace

Regarding the eyes, crytek and QD are the king. To me the eyes is what can make or break the character model and i complained in earlier order threads about them and it looks like they did fix them a bit in comparison to the older models.
i6RcSqt81wtV7.png

I'm not talking about the shaders for the eyes(they look great and are the best in gaming for eyes so far). I'm talking about the slightly stylized shape of features in the faces of characters. It sticks out to me in the pics you posted and The Order's own stylized look sticks out to me in pictures. Its annoying to me. I would prefer they went the Uncharted/Gears route and have the characters look obviously stylized.

nib Those pics aren't close to being as zoomed in as the UFC pics.

I'm not talking about the shaders for the eyes(they look great and are the best in gaming for eyes so far). I'm talking about the slightly stylized shape of features in the faces of characters. It sticks out to me in the pics you posted and The Order's own stylized look sticks out to me in pictures. Its annoying to me. I would prefer they went the Uncharted/Gears route and have the characters look obviously stylized.

I get what you're saying, either stylized or realistic but not both.

I wasn't too hyped about this game prior to seeing the GT footage. Which wow…that was pretty fucking sick. With that said, a large part of me is disappointed for the lack of multiplayer. I respect the devs for making that decision and commend them even. Too many games shoe-horn multiplayer and it never works out.

But still, I know this will sound awful but with Gears on the decline I finally thought Sony would step up and take control of Gears' market and demographic with this game. TPS 4 player Co-op games are so hard to find

charsace

I get what you're saying, either stylized or realistic but not both.
This. Metal Gear 5 follows PBR rules, but goes for a stylized look and doesn't try to hide that its stylized.

These current gen only games that people say the characters look real in look comic bookish to me. In these games the shapes of features on the character's face all follow the rules of some artist. And so far they all have the rule of slighty stylizing the features of character's faces. These games fall into the uncanny valley for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stylized is the new downgrade.

If you don't want uncanny valley, slight stylization is the way to go. Naughty Dog and Kojima Productions are especially good at this. No one would ever say they're unrealistic at all but it's far from uncanny.

nib95

Banned

Imo, the characters from every single video game ever created are stylised, simply because of the fact that they still don't look exactly photo realistic. I mean, even the shots of the UFC fighters from the previous page look stylised to me, even though they're of real people. Until we actually reach photo realism, all faces, even the amazing looking one's, will still look somewhat stylised, to me anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Imo, the characters from every single video game ever created are stylised, simply because of the fact that they still don't look exactly photo realistic.

I mean, even the shots of the UFC fighters from the previous page look stylised to me, even though they're of real people. Until we actually reach photo realism, all faces, even the amazing looking one's, will look somewhat stylised, to me anyway.

I honestly don't think those UFC models look too hot in stills. In motion they're fine but in stills the faces look poor.

charsace

Are you seriously saying I'm trolling because I think a lot of the current gen games stylize their characters? Point out that I'm seeing a trend in current gen games is a bad thing? Pointing out something that people don't like the sound of is offensive now? Is this what GAF has come to?

Ricky_R

Are you seriously saying I'm trolling because I think a lot of the current gen games stylize their characters? Point out that I'm seeing a trend in current gen games is a bad thing? Pointing out something that people don't like the sound of is offensive now? Is this what GAF has come to?

I actually said it due to the amount of times you repeated the word stylized. The same way people have thrown the word downgrade countless times. Didn't mean to say that you used the word with the same intentions most people here used the word downgrade for. Clearly, my joke wasn't stylized enough.

Btw, I don't mind stylized characters at all. I'm loving all characters from The Order, specially Galahad.

charsace

If you don't want uncanny valley, slight stylization is the way to go. Naughty Dog and Kojima Productions are especially good at this. No one would ever say they're unrealistic at all but it's far from uncanny.
Uncharted and Metal Gear aren't slightly stylized like current gen games are. James Jeans can draw the Uncharted actors in his style and the drawings will look like the actors and the his style will still shine through.

The very subtle stylization they do for characters in current gen is annoying to me though and comes off like they are hiding it.

zeopower6

I think it just sounds like a really odd criticism... like what do you mean by stylized when they look so 'real'?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
No Co-Op and no Multiplayer makes me more excited for this game. RAD knows whats up, as long as the gameplay is solid, Im ready to go balls deep into a fully fleshed out graphics whoregasm of a single player masterpiece. I need a cold shower.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No Co-Op and no Multiplayer makes me more excited for this game. RAD knows whats up, as long as the gameplay is solid, Im ready to go balls deep into a fully fleshed out graphics whoregasm of a single player masterpiece. I need a cold shower.
I hope we see more games go the SP only or MP only route this gen. It will help to keep costs down and development cycles from ballooning, plus you get a very focused game out of it.

charsace

I think it just sounds like a really odd criticism... like what do you mean by stylized when they look so 'real'?

With Ryse the eyes are all a little too big on the faces, a little too rounded in the lines that make up the eye. The noses are slightly bigger than they should be and all he nose tips look a little to round. The facial features in the game in general look a little bit bigger than the heads they are on.

In The Order the eyes are all slightly small and a little too square in the middle of the eyes shape and in the corners the triangular shape is a little too sharp. The eyes kind of remind me of what they do with the eyes in Uncharted. All the noses seem a little too sharp from the bridge going down to the tip of the nose and the noses look a little lengthy and the tips are slightly smaller. The shape of the heads are all a little thin to me.

Both games look great to me, but the realism that people see in them I just don't see it. They slightly stylize facial features in these games and say nothing about it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Still look excellent even up close tbh.

image_the_order_1886-25122-2752_0005.jpg

Ok the facial debate was over once this picture was posted, I have played Video games since before nes and this level of graphical fidelity has absolutely floored me. I own all current gen/next gen systems as well as a pretty hefty gaming PC and this absolutely FLOORS ME..... I will go so far as to say the faces and just this game in general is the absolute best looking game I have ever seen on any platform. I did not say console I said on any platform.

The faces in this game look like CG movies and are approaching near photo realism .... I remember when I though Gears of War looked amazing but this is something else entirely. The blackwater gif where he constantly switches his stance while firing his pistol..... just come on. Posting pictures of UFC is a really bad idea in this thread the facial images do not stack up they arent even close to be honest. This is coming from a guy who already has UFC preordered and paid in full .... (Bruce sold it for me)..... these comparisons fail horribly and only serve to illustrate exactly how good a game can look when focusing on one platform vs many.

It is not the lighting, it is not the atmosphere it is simply the models in the Order being painstakingly crafted with a level of detail that Pixar would be proud of.

Edited to add: I think the biggest example of how different they look is using my wife's comments about both games.
When I showed her the latest UFC trailer that showed Bruce Lee fighting she said "That game looks absolutely amazing." When I showed my wife the newest Pictures of the Order she said "Movie looks great when does it come out?" Showed her the GT vid and gifs and she is impressed.

slapnuts

Best looking console game so far.

This game looks mind blowingly awesome so far. 0_0

Holy fuck. Looks amazing.

games looks like it'll be great fun

The new footage is beautiful!

Wow that gametrailers footage made the combat looks pretty awesome to me.

Looks bloody lovely!

Stefan™;113609524 said:
Graphically the game looks incredible, but there seems to be quite a bit of tearing in the GT video.

[edit] And wow @ the 'delayed' thread already having 3 pages of responses.

The rendering quality of this game is unlike anything I've ever seen.

I'm still apprehensive based on Ru's interview with Gametrailers. Sounded like a lot of mechanics we've seen before dressed up in new language. I always hate it when devs do that and I lowers my confidence in their product. They also need to work on bullet impact reactions and visual effects. Lots of time left for that though. They better fix that tearing, too, or all their artistic work is basically for nothing.

I don't need this game to revolutionize anything but if it doesn't the execution of the traditional gameplay elements needs to feel amazing. Here's hoping.

The combat looks fucking awesome. Loved the slo-mo where he pulled out his sidearm.

This game is so visually ahead of everything else it just blows my mind.
Looks smooth as silk there too.

This game has class, elegance and soul that i never felt from any other game, granted this is from video footage but i get it, i get what they are going for and its sheer beauty devised with elegance that unleashes such violence. I love it, i love every fucking thing about it "except the horizontal black bars but the more i see of this footage..the more i am understanding why they opted for this aspect ratio...it is indeed like being put into a fricken awesome movie and playing it.

Like others have said...this game is looking like the best game I've ever witnessed..this includes the PC platform. How anyone can even sputter out its not impressive looking is a "hateeer".

Man i super excited for the game and i am ok if there is a delay because just like DriveClub....Sony is aiming for quality over quantity right now and there is nothing wrong with that..i rather wait a few extra months for a much more polished game.

There will be plenty of other games out for us to play whether it be multiplats or exclusives...

PS4 is really starting to show its true colors as far as performance goes and im totally not surprised at its capabilities. I always felt the hardware selected by Sony for its PS4 was very powerful regardless for a $400 dollar machine and outside of its PC counterparts...its going to be used in a closed box setup in a different way than it has on the PC side of things...im talking about the effeciency of a APU/GPGPU setup with extra things added on top like extra ACEs,etc.

I expect to see things that blow minds coming from PS4 in a few years from now.

Bloodrage

Banned
Those UFC pics look pretty bad for a game that's basically just two character models circling an octagon. Aldo's face looks off in that gif as well. His eyes are wandering around all weird when he moves his head. They'll never get those eyes right it seems.

The problem with comparing hyperrealism to "stylized" good art direction is that hyperrealism will always lose. The expectations are too high, and the end result is always boring either way. There's just not much you could do with a game that's supposed to look exactly like real life.

John_B

Those character models are amazing. Scanning real people's faces will become a standard for big budget games surely.

The only downside is how big of a quality difference there is between main characters and other less important characters in games. Playing Watch Dogs and you immediately notice how the main character's family members didn't get the important character treatment, and they look more like Sims with a fraction of the facial detail.

Qvoth

i think to the people saying the gunplay wasn't good, the guns felt like they don't have enough weight etc have to remember rad's only showing the thermite gun now, and that gun's real use is its secondary fire that burns the thermite

maybe people were just shooting the enemies with the primary fire, which i think was just some dust?

Can't get over that thermite/slow-mo gif where his stance is shifting as he takes out the three guys at the end. Looks so badass. One shot from the hip, then changes stances to shoot that last guy. Just wish the hit detection was better, but I'm sure that will improve. Love what I'm seeing so far.

And, in my experience, pistols always feel like crappy weapons. This just seems to continue that trend (though I've never played a Halo...people seem to like that pistol, right?).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game has class, elegance and soul that i never felt from any other game, granted this is from video footage but i get it, i get what they are going for and its sheer beauty devised with elegance that unleashes such violence. I love it, i love every fucking thing about it "except the horizontal black bars but the more i see of this footage..the more i am understanding why they opted for this aspect ratio...it is indeed like being put into a fricken awesome movie and playing it.

Like others have said...this game is looking like the best game I've ever witnessed..this includes the PC platform. How anyone can even sputter out its not impressive looking is a "hateeer".

Man i super excited for the game and i am ok if there is a delay because just like DriveClub....Sony is aiming for quality over quantity right now and there is nothing wrong with that..i rather wait a few extra months for a much more polished game.

There will be plenty of other games out for us to play whether it be multiplats or exclusives...

PS4 is really starting to show its true colors as far as performance goes and im totally not surprised at its capabilities. I always felt the hardware selected by Sony for its PS4 was very powerful regardless for a $400 dollar machine and outside of its PC counterparts...its going to be used in a closed box setup in a different way than it has on the PC side of things...im talking about the effeciency of a APU/GPGPU setup with extra things added on top like extra ACEs,etc.

I expect to see things that blow minds coming from PS4 in a few years from now.

Great way of phrasing it. I always love your enthusiasm and this part sums up my feelings quite well.

I feel kind of attached to this game because I wrote a short story about a month before this got announced that was relatively similar. When this game got announced I was really excited to see someone else had the same idea and RAD is a studio I'm excited for stepping up to the big leagues.

Ok folks we have officially gone beyond the infamous KZ2 CG trailer in real time. This game....my GOD!

Everything about this game looks damn amazing!

We were treated to a fly-over through an underground plaza lined with pubs, meandering NPCs and street lamps so convincing you could almost hear the bulbs hum. At the end of the street sat a mosaic, with each raised tile impacting the way those lights dances across its surface

Incredible! Can't wait to see this.

meta4

I hope someone on twitter confirms with Andrea Pessino if they are still working on gun sounds and hit reactions. If he confirms that then I will feel more comfortable.

How are RAD doing this Witchcraft? Let's not forget, these guys are PSP devs. Not even Vita devs. The most advanced hardware they have worked with before this is under PS2 quality. They've basically skipped a gen to come in and make the best looking game on the market

The more I watch, the more impressed I get. The grainy filmic organic aspect of the images is formidable. It gives the whole game a unique look.

DieH@rd

Banned
How are RAD doing this Witchcraft? Let's not forget, these guys are PSP devs. Not even Vita devs. The most advanced hardware they have worked with before this is under PS2 quality. They've basically skipped a gen to come in and make the best looking game on the market

They've skipped more than just a single gen [Vita and PS3]. :) They made 3 games for PSP and one game for Wii [port of Okami].

imtehman

Banned

witchcraft? small corridors, black bars, they all add up B.

Putty

Fantastic on all levels! The setting just seems wonderful. Not something you see very often if at all previously. Has a very similar look that the first Sherlock Holmes flick had (Downey Jnr). Can't wait to see more at E3, but then media blackout time for me. With all this time remaining, I'm very confident then end result will be glorious!

Raist

Banned
What in the fuck does the first part even mean? Why would the negative opinions have to coincide? They're complaints. You literally just gave me instructions on making an "informed opinion" by reading and looking at everything, so when I do that, you expect me to just overlook or ignore the negative things in the previews even though every single one besides the Polygon one voiced a complaint similar to one I had in either this thread or a previous one.

You're acting like I'm making shit up or something. I'm literally copying from the previews, so if you don't think their criticisms are warranted, complain to them.

The quotes you're pulling in that post are not even necessarily related to gunplay, which is what you were originally "concerned" about. And you're essentially quote-mining.
I could do the same:

I was given an opportunity to play a short (very, very short) section of The Order and I will say from the out that it was fun

The gun and its clever physics allow for some intriguing shooting strategies

Oh yeah, it's also a ton of fun to shoot semi-wildly and light groups of enemies on fire.

I actually really enjoyed using this gun.

10/10 GOTY Must Play etc.

So essentially that's what I was saying about getting all the info and looking for yourself. Yes, there are a few sentences here and there that can be seen as negatives. It's not the consensus at all though, because for one eurogamer "gunplay left me cold" there's 4 "that was fun" etc.

I'm not entirely sure why some complain about the gunplay (or more precisely, their "punch"), considering they could only use two weapons. We've aready established that the point of the thermite gun is to burn shit up, so it makes perfect sense for it to have "shit aim" (more like, wide spread). If you're trying to mow down people like it's a gatling gun, you're doing it wrong.
The pistol seems fine to me. It's a pistol. I can't think of any game where such a simple weapon is basically a one-shot machine, apart from stuff like Golden Eye's gold desert eagle. Someone noted so it just felt weak during that "drag the cop inside" sequence, so maybe it's on purpose to add tension or something, I dunno. It seemed fine in other instances where it's either a couple of shots, or one-shots (to the head).

All in all, if there is a real lack of punch, then maybe it's by design. I dunno what people would expect. Something like Gears? Well then the "well it's like Gears" complaints would be even worse. From what I've seen, it might add a bit of a "survival" element to the game, so maybe it's not just for people who want 10 OP weapons that allow you to blow shit up and kill everything at first sight. It doesn't really bother me, but then again I thought SH2's "shit combat" really added to the game.

Top Bottom