• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
Bullshit. Show me a quarterback with a 60 percent completion rate that gets fired for it.

So many people missing the point. Why do you need 60 percent of a scale to represent a failure? That in itself is a failure.

There are varying degrees of failure. But they're all failures. There are fewer potential degrees for success, because usually you either met your specific goal, or you failed, and failure can have a large variety of causes.

And I'd argue that it's a QB's responsibility to have at least a average % complete. If the average is 60 and he falls 40% short of that he'll likely be fired. :p

Interfectum

IGN posted this on their Facebook page heh.
H6uiDKf.jpg

m3RWSOp.gif

Derpyduck

Banned
There are varying degrees of failure. But they're all failures.

And I'd argue that it's a QB's responsibility to have at least a average % complete. If the average is 60 and he falls 40% short of that he'll likely be fired. :p

Eli Manning just called, he wants you to be his agent. =)

Lnkn52

There are varying degrees of failure. But they're all failures.

So we are now comparing The Order to Ryan Tannehill?

Korten

Banned
This is not a new thing.

True, sadly the community isn't growing up about it. Instead it's becoming more and more childish. Like when you have a gaming journalism site posting shit like that. Wow. That speaks volumes about how fucked up things are.

hesido

MetaCritic 64

So even sony cant release it on IGC, what a waste of money. I really like RAD, they made two excellent GOW, but this time too much hope in the director (this Asien guy), sony had better stopped the development. ND Space game was in development canceled, Shu Keep your eyes open.

Joke post? Are you talking about the non-existent 70 meta critic shit-info that got shot down? Even if there was a threshold, I guess Sony *could* release it, it would be their own policy to bend.

Qwark

IGN posted this on their Facebook page heh.

I'll admit it, I don't get it. Is it just because there's so many cutscenes that you don't actually need a controller and you can just sit back? Or just the image filter that makes it look cinematic?

If that's it, it's a pretty weak joke.

Ferrio

Banned
True, sadly the community isn't growing up about it. Instead it's becoming more and more childish. Like when you have a gaming journalism site posting shit like that. Wow. That speaks volumes about how fucked up things are.

Guess I don't agree. I don't understand why reviewers have to be some shining beacon of humanity.

This thread is incredible. Simply incredible.

It's too bad RAD couldn't properly capitalize on that awesome setting. With scores this bad, it seems like an Order sequel might not be in the cards. Bummer.

Wow, I don't think Ive ever seen a review thread blow up like this!

Lots of people seem really happy that the game is not getting good scores :/

It's too bad RAD couldn't properly capitalize on that awesome setting. With scores this bad, it seems like an Order sequel might not be in the cards. Bummer.

Killzone got an amazing sequel despite sitting only a few points higher than The Order on MC.

I don't think a sequel could be ruled out just yet.

Korten

Banned
Guess I don't agree. I don't understand why reviewers have to be some shining beacon of humanity.

They don't have to be. But when they're acting like children like everyone else- then it's hard to take them serious. I mean it's already becoming harder and harder to take the gaming community seriously as it is.

Don't give me the bullshit: "It's just video games," it's a freaking multi-billion dollar industry. Not some niche fan hobby.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
you can't seriously mean this. We live in a time of variety. Tons of mobile games. Tons of online. Tons of smaller indie titles. Triple-A is still ramping up and while the order is certainly a product that appeals to visuals that people enjoy. There will be products that appeal to audio or input or even taste one day. We can't go indicting all of western development simply because this product didn't try to be all things to all people... I can't remember the last successful product that managed to hit that note. I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to 2016.

You are really hard to get a read on.

You seem to write intelligently so I guess your just joking? If people like visuals SO much that they are willing to sacrifice even gameplay then perhaps they should just watch a movie. GAMES! it's in the name. No game is expected to be all things to all people, but it better damn well be a game.

I'm all for pushing the boundaries of what we expect from games, but it strikes me as a monumental waste of resources and talent to sacrifice everything important to a game just to make it look pretty.

Killzone got an amazing sequel despite sitting only a few points higher than The Order on MC.

I don't think a sequel could be ruled out just yet.

Pre-order numbers were good and it's still doing ok on Amazon. If it sells well, that should be enough to warrant a sequel. Then we'll get to see how RAD responds to the criticisms. I certainly would expect a vastly tuned experience.

In the event that anyone from RAD is reading...I think you forgot the "game" part of your "video game". Well, if anyone at your company has any brains at all, you'll know to just quit.

Jesus Christ... I obviously haven't been around long enough because I'm pretty surprised at the celebration surrounding this game's disappointing reviews. Holy shit, you people are ruthless.

Between this fuckery and all the stories about the way people who work in the industry are treated, I'm really glad I gave up my childhood dream of making games a long time ago.
Who's celebrating the reviews?

Z3M0G

If it still manages half decent sales, they could bring people back by developing a much more meaty sequel (the engine is done after all), and perhaps offer this game as a digital pack-in for those who skipped out on it.

SkylineRKR

Can a game that had a frame rate that frequently slowed to a crawl be considered a technical wonder?

For 2007 , HS had some amazing visuals going on at times.

Most people will remember this first shot from chapter 2. Nice cinematic experience, bad gameplay. However, we've progressed nearly 10 years. People want more meat. A shallow one way ticket like the Order is going to be slaughtered nowadays. I think The Order has better gameplay than HS though.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
As I said earlier, if these games are being assigned numerical values, which people place heavy reliance on with regard to their purchasing habits, then it should make sense.

Reviewers using a rating system should lay out what they emphasize as most important and least important. If there are four categories, for example, that a reviewer considers most important and as qualifiers in a final score, then these categories should each be assigned their own values to demonstrate how they're valued.

With that said, it's clear many of these reviewers lament how the game plays or its lack of interactivity (or so they say). Therefore, consider the following example:

On a scale from 1 - 10

Gameplay (40%): 6 (or 24/40)
Visuals (20%): 10 (or 10/10)
Sound (25%): 8 (or 20/25)
Story (15%): 5 (or 7.5/15)

Final Score: 61.5

If I was informed that this was the rationale behind the rating systems for some reviewers, it would make more sense to me since clearly certain aspects of a game are considered more important to them than others (as with gameplay above, for the sake of an example). If not, then get rid of scoring entirely. This would help those who only look at scores understand the differences between their own values and a reviewer's values and adjust for themselves based on what is more important (gameplay, visuals, sound, story, or whatever other category one can mention).

Edit: Using an adjusted version of the above example to match my own criteria, it would look something like this:

On a scale from 1 - 10

Gameplay (25%): 6 (or 15/25)
Visuals (20%): 10 (or 20/20)
Sound (30%): 8 (or 24/30)
Story (25%): 5 (or 12.5/25)

Final Score: 71.5

hesido

Look at his other posts...he is very serious

Maybe he's building a character?

However, I don't disagree with the visual merits of a game being totally dismissed part, be that serious or not. Some people may want to play a game just to enjoy the graphics. And I may even be one of them.

There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

This made me sad. It's a great post.

Betty

Banned
In the event that anyone from RAD is reading...I think you forgot the "game" part of your "video game". Well, if anyone at your company has any brains at all, you'll know to just quit.

That's way too harsh, they have obviously talented folk over there at RAD they just need to focus on other area's as much as they did visuals for this game and they'll be golden.

thebloo

Well, because they're professional. But also because they (Kotaku) usually write weepy stories about how a studio closed, some developers got fired, look they're human! And then to do a 180 and say "ha, you shit on their crappy game" sucks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That could be true in theory, absolutely. I just don't think this game is actually a good example of that. It seems to be more of a big-budget, overhyped, high-tech attempt at a somewhat different AAA TPS. It's a pretty well populated genre now and I don't think The Order in any way looks like an "experimental" game.
Maybe. I mean, I'm skeptical of this game myself. I want to like it because I like the whole concept, but something about its trailers always struck me as stilted. I guess I hope my opinion will fall in line with some of the higher reviews (and there's honestly more of them than you'd ever guess by the narrative in this thread). I don't think this game had that high of a budget btw. compared to today's AAA releases. It had probably a small fraction of a budget allocated to AC:U or Destiny, and I also think that even looking at it as 'just TPS' on current consoles there's not much of that right now. Other than obvious TLOU:R I can't think of anything, actually.

It looks much more like a surefire focus tested attempt at a general appeal blockbuster. I mean, I don't like the Cage stuff at all, but those games are in fact different and are about "new ways" of storytelling and making a game strictly about a story etc. The Order, I don't think so.
I'm sure they presented this as a TPS game first and foremost when it was a greenlight time, but I also think they knew all along that's not the sole thing they wanted to make. Admittedly, I may be talking out of my butt here as I haven't really seen that much of the game, much less played it - but I think there's a heavy focus on slow burn moments and story exposition in this game.

Seventy70

I love it when people say, "The reviewer didn't score based on the developer's goals!!" The goal of EVERY GAME first and foremost is to be fun. If the reviewer did not have fun while playing the game, they aren't going to give it a high score.

They don't have to be. But when they're acting like children like everyone else- then it's hard to take them serious. I mean it's already becoming harder and harder to take the gaming community seriously as it is.

Don't give me the bullshit: "It's just video games," it's a freaking multi-billion dollar industry. Not some niche fan hobby.

NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry where the press just spent weeks making jokes about a player's balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom