• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget everything else...this is just plain trolling

"It is occasionally nice to look at"

WTF?

The best looking console game ever and they say this shit? I can understand reviewers shitting on the game length, it being cinematic, QTEs etc... but this is just illogical. F off Kotaku.

So how is this new system at Kotaku any better than what they had before? Ok so you're not giving out a score but that stupid table is just as bad as a score. You're not encouraging people to actually read your review

I'm good. I've always been highly skeptical of the game, but caught a whiff of excitement for a linear shooter at the last moment. Even if it sucks, I can Platinum it quickly and trade it in for a decent amount back. I find it difficult to believe I'll come out of this disappointed, but we'll see.

Yeah thats exactly how I feel. I have it ordered Ill play through it, marvel at the visual and then sell it for $40. More than worth it

Never said the visuals were something "against" it.
Just that saying that literally no other game ever has looked this good is just being silly.

The sentence structure of it? Yeah that is a little wonky sounding he could have just said "It is the best looking game available"

maverick40

Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

jrcbandit

The perfect rental although I have no idea where to rent PS4 games locally and no interest in rejoining Gamefly which rarely gave me the new games I wanted.

Sounds like RAD really needed to add in the extra touches like Wolfenstein did with skill unlocks, collectibles, new game modes to unlock, etc. Having 0 replayability is hurting the scores.

Godcannon

Wow....at first I was really excited to have a new game with tons of monsters, then the more I saw I began to think this game was gonna bomb..... until that article with the impressions the other day by Rapier........I didn't ask for this....

Exile20

Bioshock was a massive seller, everybody give it 10s, and still is single player without MP, and very little replay value.

Bioshock was not a bad game.

Destiny less than stellar
The Order less than stellar.

Destiny had multiplayer which helped with sales.

Just finished reading the Jimquisition and Kotaku reviews. Damn, they savaged the game. I'm honestly sort of impressed that they're (well, Kotaku, Jim is good on this point already) not being fooled by the pretty graphics.

Sounds like all sizzle, no steak, if you will.

Kowalski

Banned
It may look great, but does it have an entertaining story. Wouldn't want this to be another Second Son. SS looked amazing, but the story was such a drag and uninteresting.

At least for me it was.

What's the point of the game looking amazing if the story is just a bore.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Review threads for hyped up platform-exclusive games are consistently some of the most embarrassing threads on my site.

meanspartan

I hope Ready at Dawn doesn't close down if this flops even though I have no interest in the game. They were one of the top PSP developers during its lifecycle, maybe they should focus on smaller download PS4 games with more modest budgets.

If the game does flop, Sony would be exceptionally stupid to not buy RAD. Because while this game seems to be a clear artistic misfire, it is also clear RAD cares a lot and puts in a ton of work. And with it potentially flopping, it would mean Sony could buy RAD at a bargain price presumably.

This is the studio that made some pretty fantastic PSP games, it's not like they don't have gameplay chops, they are just hidden under the Order's overindulgence of presentation above gameplay. I doubt the capability to make good gameplay has vanished from the studio.

In every failure, there can be opportunity. If this game does flop and RAD is at risk of closing, Sony could buy them nice and cheap and would get a previously proven studio hell bent on redemption in their next release. There is almost always a silver lining.

You're letting them get under your skin. Consider that the only way to get more clicks amidst a lot of negative reviews is to stand out; IGN just did it as well.

Well the game could be a technical mess in places akin to DS1.

This makes no sense. Wouldn't they have to give it a positive review to stand out?

ryuken-d

Are you referring to the one that came out 8 years ago or the one that sunk the studio?

um you might wanna add a little context to that jab. Sunk implies that it tanked and the studio shut down because of it but that is not the case. It was that dude having a mid-life crisis or something shit.

You're letting them get under your skin. Consider that the only way to get more clicks amidst a lot of negative reviews is to stand out; IGN just did it as well.

Well the game could be a technical mess in places akin to DS1.
That'd have to be mighty much and severe; like in the teens of FPS. Feels like they've shown half the game already and no one's reported issues on what's been shown.

virtualS

I feel as though most had their knives out for this game well before it released.

Consequently, I'll reserve judgement until I play it myself. Gaming media (and most media) frequently employ groupthink to justify their own existence. Also, whatever bucks the trend of modern AAA 90+ games is a good thing IMO.

Tight, atmospheric, great soundtrack. I'm guessing I'll love it.

Brutal reviews.

Picking the game up today after work. Had to spend an EB gift card so I dropped it on a steelbook copy of The Order. Hoping it's serviceable. But hey at least it will finally give my PS4 something to do.

SolidJum5

Neo Member

WTF?

The best looking console game ever and they say this shit? I can understand reviewers shitting on the game length, it being cinematic, QTEs etc... but this is just illogical. F off Kotaku.

Yea that part made me scratch my head. I mean, he must really not like the game. Oh well, to each their own. I got my collector's edition coming in tomorrow. ^_^

Gaming Trend gave it a 95, thinks that the Order should be Sony's new flagship IP, and concluded:
Literally no game has ever looked this good. It’s strange to even write that, but The Order: 1886 raises the bar so far above its contemporaries that it stands in a class by itself. Joined by a soundtrack that perfects the mood, The Order is a cinematic masterpiece. If you want to show off your PlayStation 4 to your friends, this is the title to showcase.
That doesn't sound entirely unreasonable. Whenever I see my dad he always wants to see the latest games I've been playing, I bet he'd love the look of this one. (It probably won't hurt that I don't think he always realizes the difference between gameplay, QTEs and cutscenes...
3AQmK.gif
)

Toxi

Banned

WTF?

You do realize aesthetics aren't just about the number of polygons, right?

Daingurse

Is everyone OK?

I'm cool. I kinda want to play the game more now if anything. My copy should be here tomorrow, and I'm very curious to see how my own opinion contrasts with these reviews. I honestly think I'm going to like it, just knowing my sensibilities. Guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Geg

Yeah, I really don't get it either. QTEs are a fucking cop out. It screams "we couldn't make gameplay fit here, so fuck it".

But you're absolutely right. I've never seen anyone praise QTEs, they're only a negative.

The Wonderful 101 had some pretty amazing QTEs; people praise those quite often

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I feel as though most had their knives out for this game well before it released.

Consequently, I'll reserve judgement until I play it myself. Gaming media (and most media) frequently employ groupthink to justify their own existence. Also, whatever bucks the trend of modern AAA 90+ games is a good thing IMO.

Tight, atmospheric, great soundtrack. I'm guessing I'll love it.

How would all of media giving the game a 6.5/10 justify their existence? I would think the exact opposite would be the case. If everyone give the same review/same opinion, it's much more likely that readers wouldn't care much which review they read. All would be the same.

The amount of interest this game has attracted from people who were likely never going to buy it is truly incredible. I don't think we'll see anything like this for a long while. Wonder what game will get the next "the Order" treatment.
Its an exclusive third person shooter with incredible graphics and a heavy focus on story and a realized steampunk world. Of course there was a lot of attention for this game from across the board. That the end product is more of a niche title for those who want to lose themselves in incredible environments and audio/visual work isn't the fault of reviewers or players.

Game4life

Banned
I think the IP is done. RAD and Sony will most likely part ways at this point. I really feel sorry for RAD though but that is what you get when you do not make a game focussing first and foremost on gameplay.

Review threads for hyped up platform-exclusive games are consistently some of the most embarrassing threads on my site.
The first step to removing pain is to de-aggregate yourself from that which you cling to. Identifying yourself through inanimate objects can only bring you internal suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom