• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.EM1

AKKU9xx.gif
LMAO! This is so good. So good!

Probably will pick up the game when the price drops.

Here is my short "review", I'll copy myself from the OT.

Just beat the game, took me about 7 hours and I took my time looking around. Played on hard with aim assist off. I can see why the reviewers gave it those scores, you really have to like games that very heavy on cutscenes. I would say the game is a mix of the last of us and heavy rain with a pinch of RE4.

I did enjoy the game and will platinum it but it's not a game for everyone. If I had to give it a score it would be a 7. I was thinking 8 but that ending...

Anyway, as I said I can understand where the reviewers are coming from but I don't think it was that bad.

Peace Tea

So, at this point, the highest rated PS4 exclusive is a beautiful remaster of a PS3 exclusive.

Well, with regards to the order, I do wonder if Sony will be investing in the IP further. Unlike DC, the game wan't designed with periodic updates in mind and nor MP (which is fine by me) to increase its value.

I remember KZ was a rated quite low as well and many questioned the viability of the franchise and the reason for investing in a sequel when it was first announced. Budgets have changed since then and I do wonder if they'll get another chance to make an improved sequel that would still remain exclusive.

Looks like Bloodborne is up next on the chopping block.

A sales milestone announcement or NPD is going to interesting. Partially because this game looks like it can just market itself, more so than the Killzone universe anyway.

116 pages!?
What would happen if Uncharted 4 gets an 87 on Metacritic?

GAF will probably disintegrate, and we'll see a similar transition/rebirth much like the one post Gaming Age.

Radian8

It's quite pathetic, can't wait to see it happen for other titles going forward.

I'm feeling the same, what these professional reviewers and sites are doing on twitter is nothing short of childish and unprofessional in my opinion. Their views should be left in the review, not in 20 word snipes to get some more followers.

Social Media can really be ugly, petty and nasty.

Karak

But are you a part of the inner circle? I'm referring specifically to mainstream game reviewers. My bad for not being clear.

I feel like mainstream game reviewers have different expectations from games than almost anyone else.

Probably not. I don't have a magic ring or anything lol.
Its funny been reviewing for 10 years outside of games and then into games only for a couple years and have seen some success but only in games has there been the fabled inner circle or the fabled idea of an inner circle.

I'm feeling the same, what these professional reviewers and sites are doing on twitter is nothing short of childish and unprofessional in my opinion. Their views should be left in the review, not in 20 word snipes to get some more followers.

Social Media can really be ugly, petty and nasty.

Its a realtime contestant search for Jackass Idol.

antitrop

I didn't find it funny in the slightest. I would be pretty offended if I was on the other end of that
Or maybe you (being RAD) should instead be concerned with making a game so short, that it was the laughing stock of the industry for a few days?

People aren't "just being mean". They're asking full price for what many people clearly believe to be below-average length and content by industry standards. Own up to what you made, be proud of it.

Games being creative works of art doesn't preclude them from criticism or small jabs/jokes about also being $60 pieces of software a corporation is trying to get you to buy.

hohoXD123

Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

It's just a light-hearted joke which countless other games are subjected to as well. Some people appear to be overly sensitive regarding the order.

Dont get me wrong. I was to lazy to google. I only know him from the videos, in my opinion its equal If hes an american, european, asian or african.

shandy706

I didn't find it funny in the slightest. I would be pretty offended if I was on the other end of that

It's quite pathetic, can't wait to see it happen for other titles going forward.

It's hilarious.

I'd think one would have to be emotionally invested to take it personal or be offended. Even then, 10 minutes isn't even close to even a tiny % of the game...so obvious joke is obvious. Heck, they may even be having a blast and saying good things in the Stream.

You never know.

Do you dispute that it has horrible lag, hit detection? Because this is widely accepted. This automatically should push it down below an 8 regardless how much I dislike stale fps sp modes
I am not sure why you keep talking about a game with single player campaign that is recognized as the best in years, has lots of collectables, and lots of different weapons to choose from. Replaying on Veteran is very challenging. This is all I did with this game and I loved it. And the thing is, most people bought COD:AW for the multiplayer. This is all my son plays with his friends and even with all the problems you have mentioned, there are thousands of people online all the time looking for matches. There is very little waiting time between matches. It is a fun game. Black Ops was abandoned by many COD players but I am not seeing that with AW. If you go into that very active community thread, you will see that many Gaffers are playing this game every night, every weekend, all the time. For me and thousands of other people AW deserved its review scores and the game continues to be played months after it was released. Do you think there will be an active community thread for The Order in four months?

Cheers

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
A critic critiquing a game??!!! OH NO!!

Doesn't he know that people who make a poor product are legally required to search social media for mentions of the product? He's supposed to be handing out gold participation trophies because they tried, dammit!

Kuro

Do you have to call Best Buy in order to cancel in-store pick up? I was going to get this but those reviews are brutal and I need the money for Bloodborne. I don't see an option to cancel online.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Review threads for hyped up platform-exclusive games are consistently some of the most embarrassing threads on my site.

Realistically though, is there any way to combat games being overhyped? Especially for the "wrong" reasons (graphics)?

How do you dampen hype?

Wow some of the journalists are acting like total children. Not going to disagree with their opinions, but at least act professional guys and gals.

Astral Dog

I hope Ready at Dawn doesn't close down if this flops even though I have no interest in the game. They were one of the top PSP developers during its lifecycle, maybe they should focus on smaller download PS4 games with more modest budgets.
I really doubt Order is going to bomb, but it does and the studio closes down then it will just be a problem with the current model of the industry, there is no way a studio can be finished after one flop, on a healthy environment, and under Sony, the current leaders of the console market.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Realistically though, is there any way to combat games being overhyped? Especially for the "wrong" reasons (graphics)?

How do you dampen hype?

The hype isn't the problem. The problem is with people taking all of this way, way, way too seriously and way too personally.

Septic360

Banned
Don't worry. Watch how a whole new counter campaign will start tomorrow from the die hard fanboys proclaiming some sort of gross realisation that all reviews that scored the game harshly were monumentally off.

Trust me, if anyone can start that kind of movement with any appreciable force, it's the Sony contingent. As sensationalist as it sounds, the Sony PR staff number in the thousands of unpaid staff. They WILL convince you that today was wrong. A jihad against gaming and the righteous Order.

Well that's what I predict anyway. Don't ask me why I'm feeling so dramatic right now. I'm gonna go watch some Brooklyn Nine Nine to get out of this zone.

I just had a thought, do you think people are expecting too much out of RAD for their first console title in terms of length?

I mean, their previous games, according to HLTB all clock in at between 5.5 and 7 hours for main story completion.

The Order 1886 is really no different in terms of length, but a massive step up in terms of tech.

I'm not saying that excuses it, but do we just expect more from console titles, regardless of the tech?

I mean... it's possible for them to screw up Bloodborne by releasing a broken product. You cannot just have blind faith in the pedigree of studios anymore.

How many people thought HaloMCC would get such a bad reception? Prior to release, it looked amazing (and in many ways it still is amazing, but you catch my drift).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Bloodborne will be amazing.
Bloodborn has previewed very strongly in a positive way however, and this isn't just any hack studio; it's a collab between FROM and Japan Studio. They know quality, and they give quality.

MCC's bad reception has only been due to the bad online netcode, but the campaigns are essentially fully working HD remasters of the first four mainline Halo games. Those games (well, moreso the first three) are celebrated for their legendary campaigns; stands to reason the same would hold true for their MCC versions which are step-for-step the same.

Just going off the trends, Bloodborn has nothing to worry about regarding quality.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

They spent five years of their lives, and yet they don't care about this tweet nearly as much as you do.

Vice

xjDX20Gl.jpg

No different than film critics who made tons of jokes about the Twilight Saga, Transformers, Jupiter Ascending, the star Wars prequels or any other big event movie that blew. Just because a group of people put a lot of work and time into something doesn't free it from criticism and ridicule. All part of entertainment media.

Jburton

Banned
It's hilarious.

I'd think one would have to be emotionally invested to take it personal or be offended. Even then, 10 minutes isn't even close to even a tiny % of the game...so obvious joke is obvious. Heck, they may even be having a blast and saying good things in the Stream.

You never know.

I have not pre-ordered or intend to get the game, just watching supposed professionals twitter high fives for the amount of shit they can say is pathetic.

Review threads for hyped up platform-exclusive games are consistently some of the most embarrassing threads on my site.

There's no good solution, either.

If you don't allow review threads, people will just bunker in the official threads and discuss them but get even more riled up and defensive because there's no counter-argument. But the counter-arguments also have people who generally have no interest in the quality of the game (for clarity's sake, I don't mean have no interest in the game, but rather, no interest in the discussion) proclaiming victory or trying to downplay as best they can for agenda-driven reasons.

There has to be an actual cultural change in the gaming community to not live and die by people liking or disliking whatever they like; people have to learn to treat affirmation or dismissal of their preferences as little more than that and certainly not as reality for everyone.

Though I'm not quite sure how to get there, either. There's numerous times where you'd think the community would look down at their bloody hands and realize "Okay, this is it, next time will be different." Twilight Princess, Uncharted 3, basically any exclusive game in the last five years, but no. It's the same faces, the same agendas, the same arguments about how "I don't hate the review, they're just unprofessional," or "I am not arguing the score, I am arguing how badly the review is written," or "I'm not hating on the bad review, but this clearly opinion-based thing they said is totally wrong."

And those are the good ones.

KooopaKid

Banned
Please do not utter that games title in this thread. Remedy has made some of my favourite games. To even think that game could be attempted to be ruined like Alan wake breaks me

Naaa don't worry, it should be better the The Order for the fact it's not interrupted by unskippable cutscenes every 2 minutes.

antitrop

Wow some of the journalists are acting like total children. Not going to disagree with their opinions, but at least act professional guys and gals.

Is Justin McElroy a journalist, though? He seems more of a podcast host/reviewer/commentator.

He's really so lofty in representation as to supposedly be above light-hearted jokes?

The amount of interest this game has attracted from people who were likely never going to buy it is truly incredible. I don't think we'll see anything like this for a long while. Wonder what game will get the next "the Order" treatment.

As someone who is just lurking the review thread and seeing the amount of vitriol a single game(an original IP at that) by a relatively young developer is receiving is really puzzling.

You'd think the team at RaD and the media had killed personal friends of some Gaffers the way they post about the company, the game, the reviews, or anything surrounding the Order.

Was the vitriol the same or as intense when Ubisoft released an unfinished game at retail price? Or when Microsoft let their big name sci-fi shooter run with lackluster matchmaking?

There are bigger fish to fry in the industry and I don't see Sony or The Order as the whipping boy for this. The biggest sin RaD committed was releasing a Third Person Shooter in a world saturated with quite a few of them and being unable to keep any footage of this game leaking out & under wraps.

Kureransu

Forgive my ignorance, but was the hype for this game generated though marketing via RAD and Sony, or was it fan created hyped based on the (stunning) visuals?

I guess I'm trying to figure out why there is soo much disdain for this game out there. Is it the backlash of a major let down?

I can't imagine the game being as bad as it is being represented. Sure it may not have lived up to what it could have been, but man it's brutal out there.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
It's just a light-hearted joke which countless other games are subjected to as well. Some people appear to be overly sensitive regarding the order.

I agree it think the order looks incredible graphically and I've seen a few shoot out sections that look extremely rewarding and tense. Then I've seen other bits that look quiet disappointing. Re used boss fights searching through cabinets with the exact same animations etc. Just a shame. Still going to give it a go when it's cheap.

People are over sensitive to these games. Overly invested in them for no reason really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom