• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawsd

Honestly this really does remind me of Ryse, which got shat on for being a short and shallow experience as well, although it was also visually stunning. However, I'm one of those who enjoyed Ryse anyways while completely understanding why it was received the way it was.

Although reviews aren't what some hoped they'd be, people buying know full well now what kind of experience they'll be getting when they play it tomorrow. Hopefully most of those people are happy with what The Order has to give, as I was with Ryse. And if RaD are given another shot, hopefully now that the groundwork has been set from a technical perspective they'll be able to deliver a more fleshed out sequel.

Its frightening how similar this is to Ryse. The only major difference is that Ryse was a launch game so there was plenty of other things going on to split attention. The wirst thing to haopen to The Order is that Bloodborne, Witcher, and Batman were all delayed from Feb.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I can deal with SHORT
I can deal with LINEAR
I can deal with CUTSCENES
I can deal with NO MP

I can not deal with QTEs

Has ANYONE ever liked them? Almost every review lists it as a "CON" or "-".
You never see "Awesome QTEs", "Tension Filled QTEs", "Good Use Of QTEs"

Why in the world does any developer still include them, let alone make it a huge part of the game?
I honestly think most of the 4,5,6 scores would be 6,7,8 if just the QTEs were gone.

Yeah, I really don't get it either. QTEs are a fucking cop out. It screams "we couldn't make gameplay fit here, so fuck it".

But you're absolutely right. I've never seen anyone praise QTEs, they're only a negative.

HMD

Honestly the PS4's 1st/2nd party lineup just reeks of mismanagement at this point, late PS3 games had me thinking we were about to witness PS2 levels of awesomeness with the PS4 exclusives/first parties. Here's hoping Bloodborne and P5 fix this mess.

Now multiplayer is minimal requeriment in a game, even if the game itself isnt suited for a enjoyable or balanced multiplayer experience?

are you are gonna take away 1 or 2 points on a game score only because "NO MULTIPLAYER LOLZ" even if the game as a single player is a justified $60 dollar experience?

I know that the order doesnt offer a enjoyable single player experience, but this madness of "no MP, no 9/10" in today's reviews has to stop.

There are a lot of single player only games that receive critical claim. If the single player sucks, and there's no MP, well it's harder to give a good score if your only component is sub par.

kvxqghhgq5cmni2ur1od.png

Forget everything else...this is just plain trolling

"It is occasionally nice to look at"

WTF?

The best looking console game ever and they say this shit? I can understand reviewers shitting on the game length, it being cinematic, QTEs etc... but this is just illogical. F off Kotaku.

Even if it is as short and lacking in replay value as some reviews claim, I'm still looking forward very much to playing it. Worst-case, I finish it and trade it in for half-value toward one of the other games I want in the coming weeks/months.

FoneBone

For everyone acting like this is a developer funeral

Mistakes happen. Studios recover. Life goes on.
I'm *not* saying they can't recover, but Insomniac circa 2013 was in a much stronger position than RAD (a developer releasing its first-ever original IP and first-ever non-port console project) today.

thebloo

Yeah, I really don't get it either. QTEs are a fucking cop out. It screams "we couldn't make gameplay fit here, so fuck it".

But you're absolutely right. I've never seen anyone praise QTEs, they're only a negative.

I like QTEs when they're:
- spectacular in a fashion that normal gameplay does not allow (think God of War)
- Easily readable (again, God of War, not Dying Light)
- made to allow you to fail a bit

If they could easily be replaced by gameplay, they suck.

I was hoping that the Order would be tons better. It just seems that most people had issues with the QTEs and the cinematic experience more than anything. I hope Ready at Dawn gets another chance because they are very good developers taking from their God of War PSP days.

jpax

Now multiplayer is minimal requeriment in a game, even if the game itself isnt suited for a enjoyable or balanced multiplayer experience?

are you are gonna take away 1 or 2 points on a game score only because "NO MULTIPLAYER LOLZ" even if the game as a single player is a justified $60 dollar experience?

I know that the order doesnt offer a enjoyable single player experience, but this madness of "no MP, no 9/10" in today's reviews has to stop.

I just restated his point. And no I do not think that a forced mp is good for a game. All I am saying is what worked 8 years ago will not necessarily work in this day and age and comparisons made this way are a bit mood.

Looks like Bloodborne is up next on the chopping block.

No reason to be concerned here; it's a game of Da/DeSoul heritage and comes from the same person who originally developed those games. It will do very well.

Unless it doesn't; in which case that may be grounds for seeing if there are alternative agendas and biases at work, since even DS2 did very well in reviews and this looks to be an improvement on that with merging of Castlevania/old DMC games.

And everyone likes those games. Would be more than suspect a legit spiritual follow-up that previewed very well suddenly get low scores, unless there is shadiness going on behind-the-scenes...

WTF?

The best looking console game ever and they say this shit? I can understand reviewers shitting on the game length, it being cinematic, QTEs etc... but this is just illogical. F off Kotaku.
Yes that is ridiculous. Not every reviewer is legitimate. I would not be surprised if companies began blacklisting certain reviewers, and sites like MC start banning them too.

You can only troll but so much.

mcrommert

Banned
And I would completely agree with you on that front. He could've defended his argument better. Still, the trusted reviews are, sadly, making this game that looked so promising once upon a time, now look like a dumpster fire.

Apologies...i went for snark over actual discussion

The amount of interest this game has attracted from people who were likely never going to buy it is truly incredible. I don't think we'll see anything like this for a long while. Wonder what game will get the next "the Order" treatment.

Stimpack

With a meta of 94 and a user score of 8.5, I would say that it's universally liked. I don't even remember people being pissed about the E3 demo section not making it into the final game so much. The "ludonarrative" discussion took most of the scene.

Definitely, but it was definitely picked apart by many of GAF members. Folks around here do typically end up carrying different opinions than what can be found on something like Metacritic. It can be difficult for me to separate the GAF mentality from what people outside of this bubble think. Until the Metacritic link was posted, I honestly thought the game had a much poorer reception.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Why in the world does any developer still include them, let alone make it a huge part of the game?
I honestly think most of the 4,5,6 scores would be 6,7,8 if just the QTEs were gone

certain devs really want to be in movies and not in games. By adding qte they feel like they 're making a cutscene interactive thus justifying more of them.

Also it looks great in commercials and trailers.

Yushi

So the Western dev have been somewhat lacking. Japan have been (for myself) delivering on some pretty darn awesome games.

JAPAN BACK on top?

Yes please :p

MrxDemix

Banned
Gaming Trend gave it a 95, thinks that the Order should be Sony's new flagship IP, and concluded:

Literally no game has ever looked this good. It’s strange to even write that, but The Order: 1886 raises the bar so far above its contemporaries that it stands in a class by itself. Joined by a soundtrack that perfects the mood, The Order is a cinematic masterpiece. If you want to show off your PlayStation 4 to your friends, this is the title to showcase.

715keq.gif

How so? It seemed entirely linear to me.

With some exceptions, you can choose to either be super aggressive, and plug enemies with bullets, or sneak by them. There's also your choice of which weapons to upgrade, or use, and how to take out enemies should you choose to use force. These things are not linear. The story itself takes a linear path from start to finish, but how you play out the scenes is up to you. One scene in particular comes to mind. There are spotlights and if you stay in the dark there's no major confrontation. On the flip side, if you are spotted, or make a lot of noise; a big confrontation takes place with almost endless enemies coming at you.

schaft0620

If this game takes me 10-12 hours to beat on normal I am going to hold every reviewer who said the game was 5-7 hours accountable for a rush-job attempt at a review.

meanspartan

WTF?

I agree with the content of their review, but ya I also saw this as an extra kick to RAD's stomach when they were already down. Even the harshest critics acknowledge this game is beautiful, hell, some of its biggest detractors from day 1 wrote it off as nothing more than pretty graphics.

So for Kotaku to try and take that one major achievement away from RAD, kinda lame I agree.

"Cinematic masterpiece" doesn't seem a bit strange, to you?

Am I buying a ticket from my local theatre or picking the game up at Gamestop, I'm confused.

The guy I was quoting I think was taking issue with the visuals. I agree with the "Cinematic Masterpiece" insanity.

You mean that I need to present a counter-argument to the "Literally no game has ever looked this good" statement?
Seriously? Don't you find what the reviewer said at least a little silly?

Uh no. It is the best looking game right now. It has a lot of things against it but visuals isn't one of the.

A_Gorilla

Banned
10469418_10153687801581164_5051218054303797153_n.jpg

Aaand im off to experience it myself. Its cool they gave me a comb with the game so i can scratch my head with it, if it turns out to be utter shit.

To be honest, the gaming sites i frequently visit outside of gaf where positive about the game. The last 3 games i bought have been trashed in the media (and gaf) beyond belief, and i have enjoyed those very much.. (one with an alien, some game about cars in a corridor and a grindfest on 5 planets.)

This industry is going to hell with its these journalist and armies of fanboys hating on games in general.

Where can I get that comb?

i-Lo

WTF?

You're letting them get under your skin. Consider that the only way to get more clicks amidst a lot of negative reviews is to stand out; IGN just did it as well.

No reason to be concerned here; it's a game of Da/DeSoul heritage and comes from the same person who originally developed those games. It will do very well.

Unless it doesn't; in which case that may be grounds for seeing if there are alternative agendas and biases at work, since even DS2 did very well in reviews and this looks to be an improvement on that with merging of Castlevania/old DMC games.

And everyone likes those games. Would be more than suspect a legit spiritual follow-up that previewed very well suddenly get low scores, unless there is shadiness going on behind-the-scenes...

Well the game could be a technical mess in places akin to DS1.

Floridian

Gaming Trend gave it a 95, thinks that the Order should be Sony's new flagship IP, and concluded:

Literally no game has ever looked this good. It’s strange to even write that, but The Order: 1886 raises the bar so far above its contemporaries that it stands in a class by itself. Joined by a soundtrack that perfects the mood, The Order is a cinematic masterpiece. If you want to show off your PlayStation 4 to your friends, this is the title to showcase.

I'm gonna show off The Order 1886 to my parents. They won't believe it.

Heartfyre

This is a good question. I have been wondering about this. Why do high profile devs keep making so many QTEs? Genuine question.

Well, I think it's because a lot of great games, commercially and critically, had QTEs in them. All the God of War games? Jammed with them. Resident Evil 4? Knife-fighting cutscenes were never the same again. I'm not sure how much people would consider Indigo Prophecy/Heavy Rain successes, but they're QTEs, start to finish. They prove an effective way of making scripted sequences interactive, and to an extent, they work. Though they've become stale now, and a lot of other games have found other ways of incorporating interactivity into story segments.

I understand many peoples' frustrations with them, though the don't bother me nearly as much as picking up audio diaries or seeing some exposition written on a wall in blood. They were great in BioShock, but I've seen that way too much in the last eight years.

Jburton

Banned
The nonsense being put out there by reviewers on twitter is just sad, the amount of glee being displayed by supposed professionals with fanboy-esque posts is unbelievable.

I wonder if we will see it replicated? I can't remember seeing it quite this much for other titles that failed to make the grade.

Hopefully RaD get a chance to do a sequel, the hard work has been done in regards to the engine (that is far too good to waste) so the focus next time would be on the rest.

Links_fantasy

I hope Ready at Dawn doesn't close down if this flops even though I have no interest in the game. They were one of the top PSP developers during its lifecycle, maybe they should focus on smaller download PS4 games with more modest budgets.

antitrop

Is everyone OK?

I'm good. I've always been highly skeptical of the game, but caught a whiff of excitement for a linear shooter at the last moment. Even if it sucks, I can Platinum it quickly and trade it in for a decent amount back. I find it difficult to believe I'll come out of this disappointed, but we'll see.

jpax

WTF?

Yeah I also cannot understand that point. They added a lot of grey to the brown and even black (bars).
But in all honesty it looks kinda great.

And your counter-argument is ... ?
The game is visually stunning. If there's one thing everyone has agreed about regarding it in a good light, it's that.

"Occasionally nice to look at"...what does that mean exactly? That there are technical performance issues? That you like the art style one minute but hate it the next? DF claims it's 100% rock-solid and anyone who takes the latter probably has no real taste in quality art if they can't hold a preference for more than minutes at a time.

Peltz

Yes that is ridiculous. Not every reviewer is legitimate. I would not be surprised if companies began blacklisting certain reviewers, and sites like MC start banning them too.

You can only troll but so much.

I mean... it's possible for them to screw up Bloodborne by releasing a broken product. You cannot just have blind faith in the pedigree of studios anymore.

How many people thought HaloMCC would get such a bad reception? Prior to release, it looked amazing (and in many ways it still is amazing, but you catch my drift).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Bloodborne will be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom