• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A breeding ground for cyncisim and hate, where being excited or happy is actively discourage.
Except this is complete bullshit. There are plenty of threads on this forum right now full of people being enthused by video games. You picked out one thread for a game that had a lot of hype and is looking to be a big let down and are acting like it's representative of how people here always act.

People are shitting on this game because from everything we've seen, it deserves to be shit on.

PR? What the fuck does being excited and happy have to do with giving companies PR?
Having a wall of media with a positive tone is basically a free ad on a highly frequented forum.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I'm just saying that you're seeing the glass half empty when really, hype and positivity still abound.

And yes, once in a while a game gets destroyed by tons of people, there's hand wringing, schadenfreude and all that, but it's not the end of the world and if you dislike it, just ignore it. If you like the game, GAF won't take it from you.

Steel

Banned
Are they? More and more ignore the campaign of CoD and BF and jump into MP right away.

Uncharted and Wolf have replayability. TLoU was fun on the hardest mode, but had a reasonably strong MP too. Bioshock Infinite was fun to me to replay in 1999 mode. But it had little filler anyway, most of it was gameplay. These games simply offer more bang for your buck than The Order seems to do, and are less linear to begin with.

I think you made my point with TLOU, Bioshock and wolf. I'm not defending The Order, I'm saying its lack of replayability and other modes is what harms it. All of the games I listed are linear, my point was that The Order being linear isn't troding off the beaten AAA path at all.

Stimpack

I can't believe how many views this thread is getting. I feel like their responses to criticism really only served to add fuel to the fire. Had they just let the game speak for itself, I doubt it would get as much attention.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

joecanada

Just because you didn't like AW doesn't mean the majority of people may have liked it. I think it's great and I am naturally a fan of cod. Great technical achievement for these consoles

Do you dispute that it has horrible lag, hit detection? Because this is widely accepted. This automatically should push it down below an 8 regardless how much I dislike stale fps sp modes

Astral Dog

Likewise, The Order is actually #1 in the PC & Video Games category on Amazon.co.uk. Similarly meaningless, but interesting.

Good point. Multiplayer is an effective way of selling copies. I still think there's a lot of demand for this game, though how much it will meet those expectations is indeed questionable.
Of course there is a demand, i would be very surprised if it sells less than 2 million.

shandy706

Somewhat. Solid gunplay, spectacular graphics, great voice acting. That's about it.

There's absolutely zero replay value. Like, there nothing to do after you beat it. Literally. There's also way to much hand holding and it's super linear.

Can you comment on this post I made? I was attempting to look at some things I noticed that probably influenced a lot of reviews (whether they mentioned them or not).

1. Weapons, like the Arc rifle will force fire into things that you may not even be aiming at...but that were supposed to further the story. It's understandable that this type of weapon is looking for a ground, and would favor people/creatures in some instances, but it will ignore any sense of grounding/arcing towards things if it's not what should happen to move along at that point.

For instance...I've seen the Arc gun fire at a Lycan that's on a wall, arc down and hit a metal gate that your'e supposed to go through. 30 seconds later...you fire a shot from the ELECTRIC Arc gun and it passes right over perfect grounding objects like a fence (within inches) and hits the Lycan.

That's just silly.

2. Enemy AI is just downright stupid during gun fights. There's no other better way to put it. Standing out in the open. Strafing across open areas with cover nearby. Popping out of cover while being fired at and not hiding...even while being repeatedly hit or spray fired. AI runs towards the player where there is no cover leaving tons of cover...even if there is the player and 2-3 AI partners firing at it.

3. The partner AI can be as dumb or dumber. I saw multiple instances where the Partner AI is shooting boxes, walls, columns, etc...directly in front of them. Just standing there...not moving...just shooting something anywhere from 6 inches in front of them to 10 feet away.

Did you happen to notice any of this as you played?

meanspartan

A standalone $15 companion game like First Light that has a short story, some challenge rooms, and can easily be given away on Plus down the line might be a good route for them to go.

Honestly if they just made a horde mode and multiplayer expansion that would help out a ton. Small price as DLC ($15-20) and package it into the box in the future.

Depending on how much The Order sells, they may just want to give it away to anyone who bought the game. Or, free to Plus subscribers if it is an installment that can stand on it's own.

I'm just not sure paid DLC is the way to go after this critical reception. They need to win goodwill to make the next game what this one should have been. Just my .02

Can't judge the quality since i haven't played it but it's sad another game fell in the path of console warriors.

And this isn't a knock against the reviews, the game could very well be shit. Just funny a game that had little hype getting 1000x more coverage due to all the negativity.

Welp, I guess RAD learned the hard way. Still love GOW:GoS!!

Gestault

Bioshock was a massive seller, everybody give it 10s, and still is single player without MP, and very little replay value.

Bioshock had a substantial single-player story with a satisfying and interesting narrative, an unlockable difficulty, hidden audio-dramas that made a significant difference in the story of the world, and multiple endings based on your treatment of the little-sister characters. The various approaches to combat because of the overlaps between plasmids and weapons was and still is distinct and interesting. Your character and weapons upgraded throughout each playthrough, with what amounted to skill trees.

I've never known anyone who played it to suggest it didn't have inherent replay value.

Somewhat. Solid gunplay, spectacular graphics, great voice acting. That's about it.

There's absolutely zero replay value. Like, there nothing to do after you beat it. Literally. There's also way to much hand holding and it's super linear.

The replayability I think is what irks most people...like I mean sure be short to finish but not 100% finish.

I have no problems with this though. I'll play a game over and over if I like it regardless is im platinum or not.

Kind of like watching my favorite movie over and over despite knowing what happens

If Uncharted 4 averages under a 90 on metcritic, and somehow less than Tomb Raider, the entire front page will be Uncharted threads asking various different questions

"Where did Naughty Dog go wrong?"

"Sony is following the same spiral down as Microsoft..."

"Is the PS4 doomed?"

thebloo

Some people loved it, some people hated it. I loved it. Was always sad to see people hating on it, but I can see how people would've been pissed considering what they had showed of the game prior to release.

With a meta of 94 and a user score of 8.5, I would say that it's universally liked. I don't even remember people being pissed about the E3 demo section not making it into the final game so much. The "ludonarrative" discussion took most of the scene.

antitrop

Damn, i forgot the score of infinite lol.

Well, still talking about the first one, single player only-game

Sure, if we're talking about a game from 2007, audiences and trends change.

We're not even talking about a game from the same generation of consoles, is that really a fair comparison?

I can deal with SHORT
I can deal with LINEAR
I can deal with CUTSCENES
I can deal with NO MP

I can not deal with QTEs

Has ANYONE ever liked them? Almost every review lists it as a "CON" or "-".
You never see "Awesome QTEs", "Tension Filled QTEs", "Good Use Of QTEs"

Why in the world does any developer still include them, let alone make it a huge part of the game?
I honestly think most of the 4,5,6 scores would be 6,7,8 if just the QTEs were gone.

This is a good question. I have been wondering about this. Why do high profile devs keep making so many QTEs? Genuine question.

On to my main post.

I have no plans to buy this, but I find it strange that there is so much glee about this game not reviewing well. Why is everyone so overjoyed that critics don't like a game? Hundreds of people worked years and are trying to provide for themselves and their family, does it really make sense to be overjoyed that their effort may not pay off?

Is this about justifying peoples' gaming platform of choice? Like you are a lot smarter than your peers if you chose to play games on a platform that has access to 90% the same games as the others but not this one ostensibly bad exclusive title? What are you gaining from this weird, undeserved schadenfreude?

Is everyone OK?

Alienous

If Uncharted 4 averages under a 90 on metcritic, and somehow less than Tomb Raider, the entire front page will be Uncharted threads asking various different questions

"Where did Naughty Dog go wrong?"

"Sony is following the same spiral down as Microsoft..."

"Is the PS4 doomed?"

"How hard is Amy Hening laughing?"

"Is Druckmann a hack?"

"Should Sony close Naughty Dog?"

I won't go into details but this is pretty much my line of thinking as well. I LOVE Driveclub despite it's horrid critical reception (admittedly some of which was likely due to the servers being on fire at launch).

I personally have no idea if The Order is a steaming pile of dung or if it'll be a contender for my GOTY 2015, but I do know that after considering the impressions I've read here (from those who have, ya know, actually played it), my expectations for the game (a heavily cinematic 3rd person shooter with gorgeous visuals), and the pros/cons from professional reviews, I'm still down to give The Order a spin.

Your $60 purchase does not need to be validated by others. Judge a game based on your own personal tastes as only you truly know what you do and do not like. Hell my 2014 GOTY, The Evil WIthin, is currently sitting at a 75 on metacritic. Fuck it, bring on The Order.

Haah I am actually on Chapter 7 in Evil Within. It's good, good, guuuuuuud! The game started off slow, but after chapter 3 things started to progress at a good pace with intense encounters and varied environments. The black bars were annoying during my initial time with it as I was playing on a 23.5" monitor, not anymore thanks to a cinematic screen that's waiting to experience the Order 1886! Wish the game's frame rate was fluid 30, since the running animations all appear and feel janky when fps drops below 24-20-18 fps. Visual fidelity isn't consistent, but there are some nice nice touches to the game, love the atmosphere
(The moment when you and your partner Joseph are both standing right infront of cage that's housing a chained crazy RE4-5 looking massive dog)

Snowballo

Polished Turd vs Uncut Diamond

indeed-well-played-good-sir.jpg

It certainly is, and I think a lot of games have spoken for themselves. Shit, Telltale is working on four separate linear/dialog focused games at once, in different IPs and brands nonetheless. David Cage is probably working on something, indie games are still incredibly varied and linear storytelling is still very much a thing. Life is Strange has gotten a lot of hype.

Really don't get why The Order is the poster boy for linear, cinematic games, when other games are doing those aspects better and are successful to boot.
Like I said before it being linear is not a bad thing and doesn't even seem to be the problem here with any of the reviewers. If it were, we would be hearing doom and gloom stories on RotTR, UC4, Quantum Break, Ori, Bloodborn and whatever linear-structured games there are. That's not the problem.

The problem seems to be that half of the game (which is already pretty short) is literally a film and the part that isn't is by-the-numbers in terms of player progression and skill. It seems as though you only need to do the bare minimal in terms of skill, strategy and dexterity to get by in the game....for the few minutes at a time you're actually playing it.

Not to mention you can't skip the cutscenes so if you for some reason had a desire to replay the game for its campaign you would still need to sit through the cinematics. That also kills any speedrunning attempts.

It's not even 64. It's 65.

i-Lo

So, at this point, the highest rated PS4 exclusive is a beautiful remaster of a PS3 exclusive.

Well, with regards to the order, I do wonder if Sony will be investing in the IP further. Unlike DC, the game wan't designed with periodic updates in mind and nor MP (which is fine by me) to increase its value.

I remember KZ was a rated quite low as well and many questioned the viability of the franchise and the reason for investing in a sequel when it was first announced. Budgets have changed since then and I do wonder if they'll get another chance to make an improved sequel that would still remain exclusive.

Looks like Bloodborne is up next on the chopping block.

I always want bad games to fail. If bad games don't fail, it means they're probably succeeding. And if they're succeeding, there is a good chance that it's going to influence other games and possibly make them bad as well. You should want bad games to fail.

I'm not saying people should be jumping up and down the aisles with joy, but I find it hard to get mad at someone for being enthused that a terribly short game with very little to offer in the way of game play is in fact being called out for what it is. That's the last place I want video games to go and if it's a bad game, I want people to be as ruthless to it as possible.

It's a lot better then the alternative, where we all pretend like something isn't bad just so the feelings of the people making it won't get hurt.

I agree with this 100%. But as more and more time goes by society gets more and more soft and concerned with hurting peoples feelings than with actually being helpful and telling it like it is. The game is just not that good. It's scoring like a mediocre game, nothing wrong with that. I'd like to see this type of reviewing more. There is a major lack of consistency among major review outlets within themselves.

Gaming Trend gave it a 95, thinks that the Order should be Sony's new flagship IP, and concluded:

Literally no game has ever looked this good. It’s strange to even write that, but The Order: 1886 raises the bar so far above its contemporaries that it stands in a class by itself. Joined by a soundtrack that perfects the mood, The Order is a cinematic masterpiece. If you want to show off your PlayStation 4 to your friends, this is the title to showcase.

What the hell.

Honestly this really does remind me of Ryse, which got shat on for being a short and shallow experience as well, although it was also visually stunning. However, I'm one of those who enjoyed Ryse anyways while completely understanding why it was received the way it was.

Although reviews aren't what some hoped they'd be, people buying know full well now what kind of experience they'll be getting when they play it tomorrow. Hopefully most of those people are happy with what The Order has to give, as I was with Ryse. And if RaD are given another shot, hopefully now that the groundwork has been set from a technical perspective they'll be able to deliver a more fleshed out sequel.

For me the big red flag was hearing RaD talking about the gameplay early on as if it was an unavoidable burden. I hope they go into future games with a different attitude.

Valentus

And that was his point, I think. It was 8 years ago. Then fine, but now?

Now multiplayer is minimal requeriment in a game, even if the game itself isnt suited for a enjoyable or balanced multiplayer experience?

are you are gonna take away 1 or 2 points on a game score only because "NO MULTIPLAYER LOLZ" even if the game as a single player is a justified $60 dollar experience?

I know that the order doesnt offer a enjoyable single player experience, but this madness of "no MP, no 9/10" in today's reviews has to stop.

JordanN

Banned
Should have been a Vita game instead of ps4

As a Vita owner, no no no no no.

The game would have failed x10000 harder. There would be nothing to make it stand out next to Killzone: Mercenaries or Unit 13.

The game could not work without PS4 hardware.

JohngPR

OT complaining about lack of "professionalism" from reviewers.

I dunno, while I guess some of the mocking in tweets may cross the line a bit, I far FAR prefer that over just handing out a minimum of 8s for being a AAA game.

There has to be something in between those two things though right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom