• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The original Power Rangers will be coming to the US for the first time ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If a professional company can't do a competent translation of a children's action show from the 90's then I don't know what to say.

Some are fearing that they're going to call them by their Power Rangers names despite sounding nothing like them. Like they'll call Geki "Jason".
I don't think they'll do something that stupid...

Plus, if they do Dairanger, they can't rely on calling them the same names since they're obviously different people. So... I don't think that will happen.

Some are fearing that they're going to call them by their Power Rangers names despite sounding nothing like them. Like they'll call Geki "Jason".
I don't think they'll do something that stupid...

No, they won't. Saban is still afraid to make an asian actor a yellow ranger again so I'm sure he's knows that white-washing the names of an Asian cast would be in bad taste. Over-localization would also destroy the entire point of this release PR itself is already an americanized version of sentai. Although I hear shout factory did apparently do some Transformers sub that changed names.

BatDan

No, they won't. Saban is still afraid to make an asian actor a yellow ranger again so I'm sure he's knows that white-washing the names of an Asian cast would be in bad taste. Over-localization would also destroy the entire point of this release PR itself is already an americanized version of sentai. Although I hear shout factory did apparently do some Transformers sub that changed names.

That's what I also heard, and the reason why people are so fearful.
You do bring a good point that name white-washing would only make things worse after the initial "Black guy as Black Ranger, Asian girl as Yellow Ranger" controversy. I don't think they'll change the names.

On the former though, it didn't stop Disney from casting a black guy as Operation Overdrive Black. Then again, that season had waaaaaaay more problems than that.

Ivan 3414

Anyone who watched PR Dino Thunder remember the episode where they watched a cut down dubbed version of the Japanese version of the show?

My first real experience at seeing the Japanese version of a PR series.

I actually do.

They treated it as if it was an alternate reality version of the show, right? I kind of hoped the American and Japanese rangers would meet somehow (don't remember if they actually did).

BatDan

I actually do.

They treated it as if it was an alternate reality version of the show, right? I kind of hoped the American and Japanese rangers would meet somehow (don't remember if they actually did).

The plot of the episode is they got a new satellite TV, and they found a Japanese show "about them". So it was less an alternate reality and more "Japan likes us so much they made a show about us". At least that's how it was treated.
Though the show's lesson was basically "just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad", something that a lot of angry PR fans could learn...

Sadly, there's never been an instance of both sides meeting in-universe. Though the actors have met a few times.

Masamuna

My there faves are Dai, Gao and Kakuranger. Followed by Time.

And Gao probably trumps them all IMO.

Your bootleg Gao boxsets dubbed by Chinese orphans always holds a special place in my heart. And dat intro song.

I wouldn't mind a Blu Ray of Dai and Geki myself :3

Slayven

The plot of the episode is they got a new satellite TV, and they found a Japanese show "about them". So it was less an alternate reality and more "Japan likes us so much they made a show about us". At least that's how it was treated.
Though the show's lesson was basically "just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad", something that a lot of angry PR fans could learn...

Sadly, there's never been an instance of both sides meeting in-universe. Though the actors have met a few times.

So close
tumblr_mmmeouWBSU1rzjcbzo1_500.jpg

WillyFive

Jason and Geki will be under the same roof in an upcoming Powermorphicon convention as well. That would be an interesting panel to see.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The original Power Rangers never aired in the US?

This is the weirdest shit.

Edit: Ooooohh.

Lame.

I told a friend of mine about this, as he's a huge Sentai fan, and he replied, "If you are lying to me, you will wake up tomorrow without your skin."

Red

Man, those costumes look like hot garbage compared to this:

Sentai_Zyu.jpg

I hated it as a kid when they started changing the Rangers' costumes, because while the original MMPR costumes were goofy as fuck, they at least had this clean iconic look to them. Looking at them didn't immediately make me think "This obviously comes from another country" like the later costumes did.
All the costumes from every series are bad. Even in high fantasy, you can't justify going into a fight wearing a morph suit and bicycle helmet. They are all bad.

Xenex

Sulu having the "yellow" uniform goes back decades before power rangers you know.

True, however that hadn't entered my thought process when I was watching the film - as, even though I have enjoyed some episodes on TV, I never really watched Star Trek the series as a kid.

Heroman

Banned
All the costumes from every series are bad. Even in high fantasy, you can't justify going into a fight wearing a morph suit and bicycle helmet. They are all bad.

They dont look bad and who care if you can justify them, most costume are dumb to fight in.

Red

They dont look bad and who care if you can justify them, most costume are dumb to fight in.
I get that they are iconic, but even as a kid I thought they looked dumb. They are goofy and pointless. I'm not going to argue the point and you are free to enjoy the designs however you like. FWIW, I agree most superhero costumes are dumb to fight in.

Angelcurio

I was shocked when I learned the the MMPR were an adaptation of a Japanese show. I ended up being even more shocked when i saw the orignal green ranger story, and how a character could be killed. Also, during fighting robot scenes, you could see people running from the debris and destruction of the fights, while in MMPR you would never or rarely see people in the middle of a giant robot fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom