• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outrun Online Arcade (XBLA/PSN) Official Thread

Burai

shitonmychest57
Skilotonn said:
That makes perfect sense - I remember many many years ago when S0L or one of the other OutRun2 guys explained that once you pass a junction, the level you just raced through gets completely erased from the RAM to make space for the new one, which made it impossible for you to turn around - so yeah, if someone is standing at the start line while everyone else is racing ahead, I can see how that would cause the track to disappear for others...

No wonder I never experienced this - good job figuring it out man...

But that only happens on your local machine. Everyone else retains the stage they are currently on. If someone stands at the startline they've basically got stage 1 in RAM and everyone else can race on regardless.

S0l explained this as being the reason why they couldn't do 2-player splitscreen. It really shouldn't effect network play (otherwise the arcade cabinets would fall over all the time too).

The online bug may well be related to people standing at the startline, but it's not as obvious as you make it out to be. The game is programmed to allow people to stand still wherever they want.

ourumov

Low res: yes. But, looking at the speedometer, it is a perfect circle which makes me think the HUD is 16:9.
PS3 version.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Getting this tonite... played the demo and loved it, even if it seemed a bit jaggy. Big Outrun 2 fan here.

Goldrusher

ourumov said:
Low res: yes. But, looking at the speedometer, it is a perfect circle which makes me think the HUD is 16:9.
PS3 version.
You sure ? Not on screenshots though.

wbxhr5.jpg

Goldrusher

beermonkey@tehbias said:
You might want to check out shots or videos from the actual game that shipped yesterday instead of whatever development version those old shots were taken from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NifBGluJzs0

Regardless, refusing to buy a game because of an incorrect HUD aspect ratio is fucking insane.
Good footage. Thanks for clearing that up.

And it's not just that, there's also the fact that a quarter of my friends list (US) doesn't have the ability to buy the game and the fact that I can't try the game because there's no demo on PS3. All those little things add up and make me think twice before giving my moneys to a developer that doesn't really seem to care...

ACH1LL3US

The HUD is def 16:9 , no doubt about it, the pc version didn't even have that :p Also, I have this game on the PC, and it seems to run alot smoother on the 360, and the lighting seems better aswell. I really love this game, everyone should Download it!! Best $10 spent in a long time ( well since SSF2 HD remix!)

Now lets hope that Daytona , Sega rally and Scud Race get this treatment!!!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Burai said:
But that only happens on your local machine. Everyone else retains the stage they are currently on. If someone stands at the startline they've basically got stage 1 in RAM and everyone else can race on regardless.

S0l explained this as being the reason why they couldn't do 2-player splitscreen. It really shouldn't effect network play (otherwise the arcade cabinets would fall over all the time too).

The online bug may well be related to people standing at the startline, but it's not as obvious as you make it out to be. The game is programmed to allow people to stand still wherever they want.

Ah yes - I couldn't remember the specific reason why it was brought up - thanks for that...

And you're right that that should affect the level - but at least I'm glad the cause was found and was very simple to avoid, and explained why I and others never experienced it...

Blackvette94 said:
The HUD is def 16:9 , no doubt about it, the pc version didn't even have that :p Also, I have this game on the PC, and it seems to run alot smoother on the 360, and the lighting seems better aswell. I really love this game, everyone should Download it!! Best $10 spent in a long time ( well since SSF2 HD remix!)

Now lets hope that Daytona , Sega rally and Scud Race get this treatment!!!

Yup, these are the kind of improvements that I'm talking about that still makes this game more than worth it for OutRun2 fans even if you own the previous versions like myself...

And according to some ratings site some time back, Daytona at the very least should be coming to XBLA, but don't hold me to that though...

Goldrusher said:
And it's not just that, there's also the fact that a quarter of my friends list (US) doesn't have the ability to buy the game

You can help them buy the game. They give you their PSN store password. You deposit money using your euro credit card. They change their password and you are now locked out of their account again. They buy the game with the credit you deposited.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
SuperEnemyCrab said:
The HUD is fine on the XBLA version, it's not stretched.

Yep, just tested on XBLA version and purchased PSN version and the hud is fine on both, the speedometer is perfectly round.

Really enjoying this, I still think the 'Lost City' section looks stunning.

I'm not really feeling the online multiplayer. It's neat that the leader dictates the path everyone else has to take, but that's about it. It also didn't help that in one game I joined, the leader pulled the plug on it a few seconds after I pulled ahead of him in Stage 3. (Which is probably why I host all my games these days.) Anyway, I live for score attack. I really like seeing all the pretty numbers pop up in singleplayer when I pass by traffic and rivals.

Does changing the difficulty affect anything other than time?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
beermonkey@tehbias said:
You can help them buy the game. They give you their PSN store password. You deposit money using your euro credit card. They change their password and you are now locked out of their account again. They buy the game with the credit you deposited.
I need a Euro friend for this.
Gots to have Outrun and exclusive Singstar tracks!!

I'll paypal you first of course. If any regular member can help, send me a message please.

Nikorasu

Skilotonn said:
Is that a screen grab from the game with no mods? Because I was sure that was the case...

The funny thing in that screen grab is that the Ferrari doesn't have a shadow while the van does...

No mods, just me playing plain OR2k6. But I see you meant the quasi dynamic shadow that is oriented with the sun's position. In that case you are right only your car has that, the other cars have static shadows.

NIN90 said:
Well, let's just say that I'm glad there's a demo for this. :lol

Not my kinda game.

What, fun?

I am hoping someone can explain to me the affinity that everyone here has for this game. The graphics are not impressive, the racing is simplistic, and there is no variety. This seems like the type of game that people are clinging to for nostalgic purposes. Why would anyone want to play this game when for example; they can pop in Burnout Paradise?

Chittagong said:
Okay guys, need to know should I buy this for Xbox.

Verdict, let's go

Personally I am having a blast. Played for 2-3 hours yesterday and will be playing it again tonight. I would call it a must buy, even with the bugs, if you are a outrun/sega fan. The only thing that upsets me is the dropped frames which happen at the same places in certain sections. I am confident the track disappearing in multiplayer issues will be resolved.

So yes?

FirstInHell said:
I am hoping someone can explain to me the affinity that everyone here has for this game. The graphics are not impressive, the racing is simplistic, and there is no variety. This seems like the type of game that people are clinging to for nostalgic purposes. Why would anyone want to play this game when for example; they can pop in Burnout Paradise?

It's all about the drifting man. Once you get good at that the races are so much fun, and it's a nice quick set of courses you can beat in 4mins or so. Also trying to avoid hitting ANY traffic, the hearts mode and online add quite a bit of replay value. If you never got into any other outrun games, or are just playing it straight without trying to drift etc I can see how it would be boring and generic though...

FirstInHell said:

OutRun 2 is like how arcade racing games used to be: learning the tracks, perfecting racing lines and fine-tuning powerslides. It's old-school arcade racing of the Daytona/Ridge Racer kind, where shaving milliseconds off lap times is the real reward. There are so few 'arcade' racing games these days and the few there are have gone the open-world route of doing things. For those like me and many others who prefer the deliberate design of tracks in their racing games, titles like these are a godsend.

FirstInHell said:
For as long as I've been playing games, I've never really given Outrun a fair shake. This is the first game in the series I've spent more than five minutes with, and I love it. So, no nostalgia here. You'd present a better argument using Takedown or Revenge, though.

I recommend everyone take a look into the guides available on GameFAQs.com. They really help to explain the very intricate drifting mechanics in the game, Outrun 2 is anything but shallow.

Burnout Paradise isn't a patch on Outrun in terms of the actual racing mechanics and courses, total different league.

KurowaSan

geez, i give up. I've been playing time trial this evening and got 2nd on AT,Tuned Goal A leaderboard on xbox live. My time was around 4'30''800, like 1''100 slower than the fastest time. Thought I'd give it some other tries, and this last time I was owning my previous times and I was so sure to, at the very least, get really close to that 4'29'700, but nooo... I had to hit the last god damned wall, and I still shaved off 0''400. Almost threw the controller out of the window. :lol

ourumov

Oh, the VA in the Spanish version is so atrocious that I want to kill somebody in SEGA / Sumo for allowing that... Had to change system setting to English !
A curious thing is that the voice samples are really low quality... Shit, they sound like a radio broadcast from the 40s... This and the HUD should have been more polished.

About the port itself. I never had the chance to play extensively all the versions of Outrun 2, just a bit the XB version... The game has some slowdown here and there, but overall I still think it looks great, feels great and is a MUST-BUY.

I wish they had had more budget/space for the game because the PSN/XBLA could be the definitive version. Dunno, but after playing Wipeout (14€) I feel they could have done it a tad bit better.

Attack You said:
For as long as I've been playing games, I've never really given Outrun a fair shake. This is the first game in the series I've spent more than five minutes with, and I love it. So, no nostalgia here. You'd present a better argument using Takedown or Revenge, though.

Same for me. Tried Outrun in the old SEGA systems... Thought it was simple and stupid. Yet Outrun 2 never ceased to amaze me... Like they say: "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DRIFTING!!!"

Nikorasu

SonOfABeep said:
So which is better? PC version or XBLA?

Both are $10.

PC has higher resolutions and more content (30 courses compared to 15/more music/outrun2sp arcade port/C2C mission mode) but the online service is dead (though LAN over hamachi should work). Supports wheels but no FFB.

360/PS3 has slightly updated visuals (bloom/more shadows/some added scenery) and working online play. Not sure if it supports FFB wheels though.

Nikorasu said:
PC has higher resolutions and more content (30 courses compared to 15/more music/outrun2sp arcade port/C2C mission mode) but the online service is dead (though LAN over hamachi should work). Supports wheels but no FFB.

360/PS3 has slightly updated visuals (bloom/more shadows/some added scenery) and working online play. Not sure if it supports FFB wheels though.

I honestly think the bloom looks like ass, sorta messes with the clean art style. Oh, and no matter how rare the occasional frame dips I experienced in the trial version are just baffling.

Really it comes down to if you prefer more single player content or online play. I use my 360 so little so I just can't justify keeping up my Gold subscription which makes the 360 version pretty worthless to owners of the PC version. If you've already got Gold then the 360 version does have its charms despite being a shadow of what it could/should have been.

Nikorasu

brain_stew said:
I honestly think the bloom looks like ass, sorta messes with the clean art style. Oh, and no matter how rare the occasional frame dips I experienced in the trial version are just baffling.

Really it comes down to if you prefer more single player content or online play. I use my 360 so little so I just can't justify keeping up my Gold subscription which makes the 360 version pretty worthless to owners of the PC version. If you've already got Gold then the 360 version does have its charms despite being a shadow of what it could/should have been.

Yeah, not as a pc fanboy or anything, the bloom looks really out of place. But I was hardcore into the arcade version back then so maybe I'm just a purist. I mean it doesn't look BAD but the tendency to just add bloom to everything and call it next gen is a little played out.

I'm torn. I like using my new fancy PC, but I like achievements too.. Doubt I'll ever play it online.

Ah hell i'm getting it on steam with Sega Rally Revo for $20.

Nikorasu

SonOfABeep said:
I'm torn. I like using my new fancy PC, but I like achievements too.. Doubt I'll ever play it online.

Good call. SRR is wonderful. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
marwan said:
whom ever is bitching about this game about the 720p and no euro remixes.....get on Steam and get the PC version, it runs silky smooth at 1920x1200, AA, Euro Remix and it only costs $9....and it's also compatible with the 360 controller. It also has online, but i believe no one plays it anymore.

Listen to this man!

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Does it support force feedback?

No. But once you get the sensitivity dialed in, depending on which wheel you use, the controls on the PC are very very good!

OK guys listen....

I bought the game and played it for a few hours. It's an OK port IMHO and multiplayer is very fun with friends.

But here's the deal....I own a force feedback steering wheel from a company called Happ Controls. You may have heard of them, they make a lot popular arcade parts(namely joysticks). This particular FFB Wheel is actually the same FFB wheel found on a Daytona USA Arcade cabinet, but I had it custom made to work on the Xbox 360(using the "brain" circuitry of the Microsoft wireless wheel). I've played Forza 2 and PGR4 with it and believe me when I say it kicks SERIOUS ass all over the original wireless Xbox 360 wheel.

Now... that being said, the Happ FFB wheel is now laying in the closet collecting dust, because I now(for the most part), only play racing games exclusively on the PC.

I have since bought another uber ridiculously awesome wheel Frex Japan that only works with the PC. It's a $2000USD FFB steering wheel and the term "state of the art" doesn't begin to describe its quality. It trumps everything out there even the Happ FFB wheel I mentioned earlier.

All that being said, this Frex wheel is mounted...and when I say mounted, I mean seriously professionally bolted down to my racing frame, and is NOT coming off without some serious tools and effort(my friend is in construction and he's the one that mounted it.)

Now....I WAS seriously considering having him remove the Frex PC wheel from my frame and mounting the Happ FFb wheel just to play OutRun Online Arcade on the Xbox 360, but after reading how the game lacks true FFB for the Microsoft wheel and how the sensitivity is questionable, I can safely breathe a sigh of relief and continue to play this average(if not buggy) 360 port with the good ole 360 gamepad :)

In other words, I can keep my Happ FFB wheel safely laying in the closet(until Daytona USA or Super GT is announced for XBLA :D ) while keeping my Frex FFB PC wheel mounted to my frame.

The PC version is still for me. It is simply the superior port and feels orgasmic with my Frex FFB wheel!

By the way BeerMonkey.....there is an application that allows you to get FFB in ANY racing game on the PC. It's called touchware gaming, and it uses the game's audio to translate into FFB effects. I use this and it's quite effective.

Chinner

Banned
got over a million in outrun mode. may try and get the 2.5 in continous mode.

edit: also cjelly you're pretty close so you'll get it. dunno if it helps, but if you split screen/clear pass a bus/truck/big vehicle, you'll get 15k instead of 7.5k

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Chinner said:
got over a million in outrun mode. may try and get the 2.5 in continous mode.

edit: also cjelly you're pretty close so you'll get it. dunno if it helps, but if you split screen/clear pass a bus/truck/big vehicle, you'll get 15k instead of 7.5k
Yeah, I know how I can improve.

I got 2.3m on Continuous without even going for points so that shouldn't be too bad.

KurowaSan

is there a way to do a quick start or something? whenever I play time attack mode and I get the default ghost, it always manages to leave me behind by quite a margin. I've noticed 5 gears cars are faster than the 6 gears ones when accelerating from the start, but nowhere near close the ghost.

OK, I ended up buying this anyway. I felt lousy yesterday. Had such a headache! And I thought "You know what would make me feel better? Blue skies!" Which is crazy but after playing my first race I did feel better! Magical sound shower yeahhh.

So yeah, it's pretty skimpy compared to the other releases. And I was about to get the 'win 5 races in a row' achievement but the game fucking locked up for 5 seconds while transitioning to another area and I lost the lead and the race as a result. Boy did I yell at the TV then! And I had to quit to the dash after waiting 10 minutes for an online race to load. Typical XBLA bullshit.

I'm not that mad though. I feel a bit dirty for supporting a kinda shoddy port but it's Outrun and it's beautiful and it makes me smile. Leaderboards woo!

SonOfABeep said:

Then you made the right call, the PC version has much more offline content and is nicer looking. Oh, and yes Sega Rally is freaking gorgeous on a nice rig.

Hmm, I just got a few free points from that Coke promotion, I think I might buy this version afterall, at the end of the day, its pretty damn hard to have enough Outrun in your life.

isamu said:
By the way BeerMonkey.....there is an application that allows you to get FFB in ANY racing game on the PC. It's called touchware gaming, and it uses the game's audio to translate into FFB effects. I use this and it's quite effective.

Wow, does that actually work? I might have to give it a try with Outrun.

Wizpig

hirokazu said:
So is this OutRun 2 with online play for cheap?

Does it support the wheel on PS3?
Not at all, more like OutRun 2006 without 2 tracks with online play AND BUGS for cheap.

Well, i said "bugs" just to introduce my question: i still have to buy it, but i hear about these floating cars bug... are they solving it?
Is it in multiplayer only?

Top Bottom