• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outrun Online Arcade (XBLA/PSN) Official Thread

KurowaSan

Chinner said:
anyone got any advice for getting of the line quickly? Using manual transmission here.

if there is a trick a la Mario Kart, I don't know it. My best starts are usually when I keep the rev meter below the red zone and using a 5 gears car, which accelerates faster than a 6 gears one.

Chinner said:
anyone got any advice for getting of the line quickly? Using manual transmission here.

Jam the gas right after it says go, and don't rev it to the limit while it's counting down. You want it right between the limit/white area on the speedometer as it says go.

Beezy

Route D, the most popular one on the leaderboards. I went right, left, right, left. I learned to do the first four stages pretty good, but I can't get through Milky Way without slowing down a lot.

GrayFoxPL

Didn't really plan on buying it, as I thought I had enough Outrun 2 in PS2 days, but I said: "What the hell" and got it anyway. :lol

I'm glad I did. This version feels better then PS2 iteration. It's not without flaws, thou.

The Heart attack mode is fucked up - the framerate jitters for no reason. Looks like a glitch.

Sometimes this jittering is also noticeable in other modes but it's brief. Overall the framerate is solid and much better then Outrun 2 on PS2.

Online is surprisingly fun. On PS2 it was a miracle to get a race and when you did you'd end up racing some Outrun God that most likely lived inside the arcade. Here I smoke AT amatours left and right. :lol The scoreboards were also insane in PS2 days, world records from japanese that you'd never touch. Here's not so bad. online mode's pretty bare but mostly smooth and functional.

Some rage quiters like always :lol, but yeah, fun times. I was surprised I remembered all the tracks :lol. Outrun must be like riding bicycles, no matter how long ago you played, you'll never forget it.

PS3 version. No dissapearing tracks online.

Wizpig

Lighting Gels said:
Multiplayer bug is annoying... out of six online races played three have been bugged with my car floating at limbo.
What's your NAT on your 360? [Open, Strict?]
Were you the host in the games?

Asking this to everyone who got the bug.

Pallaris

GrayFoxPL said:
Didn't really plan on buying it, as I thought I had enough Outrun 2 in PS2 days, but I said: "What the hell" and got it anyway. :lol

I'm glad I did. This version feels better then PS2 iteration. It's not without flaws, thou.

The Heart attack mode is fucked up - the framerate jitters for no reason. Looks like a glitch.

Sometimes this jittering is also noticeable in other modes but it's brief. Overall the framerate is solid and much better then Outrun 2 on PS2.

Online is surprisingly fun. On PS2 it was a miracle to get a race and when you did you'd end up racing some Outrun God that most likely lived inside the arcade. Here I smoke AT amatours left and right. :lol The scoreboards were also insane in PS2 days, world records from japanese that you'd never touch. Here's not so bad. online mode's pretty bare but mostly smooth and functional.

Some rage quiters like always :lol, but yeah, fun times. I was surprised I remembered all the tracks :lol. Outrun must be like riding bicycles, no matter how long ago you played, you'll never forget it.

PS3 version. No dissapearing tracks online.

framerate jitters, wtf, sounds like GTI club. I think you've saved me a purchase. Cheers.

Beezy

Pallaris said:
framerate jitters, wtf, sounds like GTI club. I think you've saved me a purchase. Cheers.
I've only noticed this in heart attack mode when there are a bunch of cars onscreen.

Beezy said:
Route D, the most popular one on the leaderboards. I went right, left, right, left. I learned to do the first four stages pretty good, but I can't get through Milky Way without slowing down a lot.

Same here, Milky way it's a pain in the ass, I still don't know how to powerslide those curves without getting hit by those barriers, anyway I finally got less than 4'30''. But people in the leaderboards have 4'14''. HOW THE FUCK YOU DO THAT?!! :lol :lol :lol

Finally got millionaires club, route A in the MT Testarossa. Ended with 1018880.

On a side note, anyone else find they hold the controller really tight when playing this game, I mean really tight?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Finally got millionaires club, route A in the MT Testarossa. Ended with 1018880.

On a side note, anyone else find they hold the controller really tight when playing this game, I mean really tight?
You're not the only one. :D

ourumov

SuperEnemyCrab said:

Yeah, it's just pure tension.

Didn't feel like that since F-Zero GX!

BTW, any manual transmission tips?

Normally to start a Drift I do the following:

5-speed Gearbox

From 5th to 4th, initiate the drift and then immediatelly to 5th again

6-speed Gearbox
From 6th to 4th, initiate the drift and then immediatelly to 6th again

Is this the correct way ?

KurowaSan

ourumov said:
6-speed Gearbox
From 6th to 4th, initiate the drift and then immediatelly to 6th again

Is this the correct way ?

other than not being fast enough when being on 6th gear and going from it to 5th doesn't start a gear drift, why would you have go down to 4th to do it?

serious question, there might be something i'm missing

EDIT: oh, and supposedly, a brake drift still has advantages over gear drift when attacking a long and not so sharp corner

Wizpig said:
What's your NAT on your 360? [Open, Strict?]
Were you the host in the games?

Asking this to everyone who got the bug.
Not hosting but with strict NAT (now fixed, just got open NAT after some work with my router).
Anyway I think that bug happens when someone is stuck at start line.

KurowaSan said:
other than not being fast enough when being on 6th gear and going from it to 5th doesn't start a gear drift, why would you have go down to 4th to do it?

EDIT: oh, and supposedly, a brake drift still has advantages over gear drift when attacking a long and not so sharp corner

Yup, the key is learning to know when to utilize each drifting method, neither is meant to be a catch all solution.

ourumov

KurowaSan said:

The reaction was not strong enough on 5th gear on a couple turns... So I always did double tap- double tap. When going down to 4th the reaction is a lot faster... Just a matter of feeling :p Probably it's exactly the same.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Benedict said:
Is the multiplayer bug only on 360?
I have not seen the bug appear on PS3?
I haven't seen it on 360 either. :p

Must be something to do with peoples Internet connections if some are seeing the bug and others not.

kba

This game is so friggin' addictive. I'd played the arcade version of OutRun 2 a few times and enjoyed it a lot, so I bought the Live Arcade version without any hesitation. Easily worth the 800 space bucks.

It's simply so much fun to race yourself for the achievements. Especially the 4'30 one and Cardiogram kicked my ass for quite a while, but today I finally nailed them both.

SuperEnemyCrab said:

Yup, I noticed that my right index finger is pretty much numb after two days of intensive OutRunning :D.

Don't know if bug has to do with different internet conections but I keep suffering it, now with open NAT.
Until a patch is released (if it ever is) I'll keep lowering times at single player, I love so much this game... online frustration won't ruin my enjoyment. Anyway not releasing a patch should be such a regrettable fault.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
cjelly said:
I haven't seen it on 360 either. :p

Must be something to do with peoples Internet connections if some are seeing the bug and others not.
I played a match last night, no bugs here.

KurowaSan

slidewinder said:
Any idea as to a particular corner where this would be true?

i'm really not sure, but I'd say the last corner in big forest or the first one inside the tunnel in ice scape should be good examples I guess. I think you should be able to follow the inner line of the corner nicely.

The thing is, when using a brake drift, you lose less speed to trigger the drift than when you use gear drift, and I guess that will also depend on the number of gears the car has (meaning you might lose more speed with a 5gears car than with a 6 gears one). There are corners where you do need to drift, but you don't need the sharper angles gear drift allows you to pull off.

Wizpig

Lighting Gels said:
Don't know if bug has to do with different internet conections but I keep suffering it, now with open NAT.
Ugh.
That's it, i don't have any other possible explanations for the bug.
Any patch announced yet?

Maybe it has to do with some ISP.
In my case, I have played more bugged online races than unbugged ones, it's a shame.
On the other hand, it seems I can't host a race, I'm quite invisible for the rest of players.
So, with NAT issues fixed, I think it's quite an ISP matter.
Thanks anyway ;)

Beezy

KurowaSan said:
The thing is, when using a brake drift, you lose less speed to trigger the drift than when you use gear drift

Um, isn't it the other way around? You lose less speed gear drifting than brake drifting. That's why the manual leaderboard times are way faster than the automatic leaderboard times.

KurowaSan

Beezy said:
Um, isn't it the other way around? You lose less speed gear drifting than brake drifting. That's why the manual leaderboard times are way faster than the automatic leaderboard times.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/924982/48062
Pros for using Brake Drift over Gear Shift Drift Drift:
- Loses lesser speed to start drift
- Loses lesser speed during drift
- Gains speed during counter drifts
- Easier to recover from the drift

then again, i really don't know, i've been trying right now, and you lose basically the same speed when starting a drift, no matter the method, now if brake drift does indeed lose less speed during drifts, i guess it does have advantage over gear drift on long and smooth corners.

In theory, even if it did lose more speed when starting a drift using the gear shift method, you "get out" of the corner sooner than when you use brake drift, so you get in control of the car sooner and thus, get to accelerate before you would using brake drifting.

Beezy

Oh ok. I don't understand exactly how it works, I just know that gear drifting gets you through turns faster overall.

kba

Just got the Gumball King achievement. I hit a wall just moments before the finish and thought that was it, but still finished with 14'29"988 :D

So awesome.

It seems to me that you can make sharper turns with gear drifting than with brake drifting. This is especially evident on Ice Scape, in the two tunnels. When brake drifting, I often ended up hitting the outside wall, but had no such problems when gear drifting. Could this be a common phenomenon or simply a matter of my preference?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Sharper turns are possible with gear drifting. That's the main benefit. It really lets you throw the car into sharp chicanes with little speed drop.

Ideally you're going to want to be mixing brake drifts, gear drifts and playing with the throttle throughout.

The reason why AT cars are lower on the leaderboards is that they don't change gear fast enough. I tried AT for the achievement and it's frustrating. You're often left in a gear that's too high for the speed you're currently travelling making acceleration laborious and changes up are too slow in coming. You should only see one slight flicker of the rev limiter before shifting up - I'm talking thousandths of a second. AT leaves you on the limiter for around a second before shifting up. It's just not fast enough.

Kasreyn

Neo Member
Rummy Bunnz said:
OK, I ended up buying this anyway. I felt lousy yesterday. Had such a headache! And I thought "You know what would make me feel better? Blue skies!" Which is crazy but after playing my first race I did feel better! Magical sound shower yeahhh.

Best thing I ever heard.

I still play Outrun 2006 on PS2 and I think it's pretty/fun. I wonder what my reactions to the PS3 version will be. There's something on my tounge, hearing you guys talk about geardrifting, this must be a pretty good game. I've only gotten so far into it myself.

See you online i guess :D

Kasreyn

Neo Member
I took it out for a spin..

The game is fun but why do I get "this game session no longer exists" when I'm the one who is hosting? Netcode seems a bit dodgy so don't blame everyone who quits.

ascully

I really love this game, I hadn't played Outrun C2C so I decided to spring for that this afternoon off Steam. The 360 version feels so gimped after playing the PC version. Anyway I have the best of both worlds now and sega/sumo got $20 off me this week.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sooooo many bugs.

I'm hosting and then when I return to the lobby it says I cannot restart the race because the host is still racing. WTF? :lol

Then two of my friends encountered the "Blue Sky Nothingness" bug in nearly every game we played.

Another guy's car was constantly switching its camera from bumper cam to some unknown top down/slot-car like view. Really weird.

Last but not least, one of the racers in my room went under the track in Sunny Beach, and into the bottom where the ocean is, and he *claims* he saw fish and sharks and other weird shit.

Crazy.

ourumov

Last but not least, one of the racers in my room went under the track in Sunny Beach, and into the bottom where the ocean is, and he *claims* he saw fish and sharks and other weird shit.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom