• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Outrun Online Arcade (XBLA/PSN) Official Thread

First arcade I will buy since SF2HDR in a few weeks time when I get live back, Only played vanilla OR2 so this will be a treat for me.

Kasreyn

Neo Member
Don't get this on PS3 if you can't stand connectivity losses. Even if you are host on a good connection it throws you out of the game every now and then. I hope they can fix it in a patch because it's really shitty.

Host migration and support for keyboard chat in lobby.. seems like a simple thing to add ..

As always great fun when you get a clean round with solid competition. But for a game with "online" in the title.. needs improvement!

Query: Can achievements be earned offline, or does the game lean very much to online play?

I have spare points on my account, but no XBL Gold, so I don't want to jump in if the game is pretty gimpy in single player mode

I'm playing exclusively offline, due the overbugged (at least in my case, it seems it has to do with ISP as stated before) online mode and I'm enjoying it a lot.
A couple of achievements are online, but who cares about them.
Buy it!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Late to the party. Have a few questions.

Is this exactly like Outrun2? If so, can people who have Outrun2 play with people online who have OOA?

Thankies. ^^

Wizpig

Vilix said:
Late to the party. Have a few questions.

Is this exactly like Outrun2? If so, can people who have Outrun2 play with people online who have OOA?

Thankies. ^^
This is OutRun 2SP, an enhanced version of the Arcade.
You can't play with people with OutRun 2 Xbox or OutRun 2006 Xbox.
The levels are those of OutRun 2006, no content of this game is from OutRun 2, except the cars and the music, i think.

Benedict

Kasreyn said:
Don't get this on PS3 if you can't stand connectivity losses. Even if you are host on a good connection it throws you out of the game every now and then. I hope they can fix it in a patch because it's really shitty.

Host migration and support for keyboard chat in lobby.. seems like a simple thing to add ..

As always great fun when you get a clean round with solid competition. But for a game with "online" in the title.. needs improvement!

Buy this game on PS3, there is no problem with connectivity losses for me.

GrayFoxPL

Kasreyn said:

What? I had zero dissconects and nomally I have shitload of problems with online on PS3.

Most solid play ever.

Oh and message for fuckwits - you know who you are. If you can't stand getting your ass handed to you and ragequit, then don't bother hosting a race and even more a 15 course continues.

Annoying little pricks.
3rd time I had contines wins but didn't get a trophy because one of them asshosts quits the match and win race count goes to zero. If not counting the ruined matches I had like 7-8 win streak.

BTW, I'm almost sure that bug happens (on X360) when some idiot keeps stuck at the start line.
When everyone is racing everything goes well.

Wizpig

GrayFoxPL said:
Oh and message for fuckwits - you know who you are. If you can't stand getting your ass handed to you and ragequit, then don't bother hosting a race and even more a 15 course continues.

Annoying little pricks.
3rd time I had contines wins but didn't get a trophy because one of them asshosts quits the match and win race count goes to zero. If not counting the ruined matches I had like 7-8 win streak.
That sucks, if it is 5 wins it should be 5 wins even if you win 2 and then 3 on the next day -_-

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Princess Skittles said:
I keep getting AAA, AAA, AAA, AA, AAA.

Stupid Ice Trucker stage. *cries*

Yeah, it's been the only thorn in my side keeping me from getting AAA as well too, and it really pisses me off...

I downloaded the trial today on my terrible internet line and it's lovely to see the game in HD after playing so much outrun on the xbox, going to buy it and play it offline for a while.

Daigoro

this game is so fun. every time i start it up i cant stop playing. pure arcade racing joy.

and i have a death grip on the controller too. i usually have to force myself to relax.

this game was well worth the points. (and i already own the PC version)

Goldrusher

Lighting Gels said:
Try goal E, with any car it's quite easy

left-right-right-right should be a fast run :)
That's D.
E is right-right-right-right.

Tough game, just got that trophy in 4'29"198 (right-left-right-right).

I just noticed the quick loading screen after each race shows "outrun 2 sp" as the game name, how did they miss that to not change it?

vag 2.0

Diablohead said:
I just noticed the quick loading screen after each race shows "outrun 2 sp" as the game name, how did they miss that to not change it?

It's the Outrun 2 SP track! The SPDX arcade machine has both Outrun 2 and Outrun 2 SP tracks and does the same

I picked this game up over the weekend.

It's fantastic. I had the original OutRun2 for the Xbox but I never played 2006 so the courses here are all new to me. This is the kind of game I can just load up when I'm bored or waiting on something to download, etc. and have a great time. Nobody makes a driving game like Sega. There are other good driving games, but Sega's have this certain something that makes them fun as hell to play.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Princess Skittles said:
I keep getting AAA, AAA, AAA, AA, AAA.

Stupid Ice Trucker stage. *cries*
The Milky Way stage is giving me trouble, too. How do I pick up the stars and get the hearts?

ourumov

Lighting Gels said:
Try goal E, with any car it's quite easy

left-right-right-right should be a fast run :)

I did left-right-left-left for GOAL B and ended with a 4:28! Not bad :)

Thanks for the input anyways.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Who in the hell decided to use the Genesis sound processor for the voice chat (PS3)? It sounds like the goddam Joe Montana Sports Talk Football voice filter.

FML

gkryhewy

Great game, finally got the millionaire's club achievement after playing for an hour. Question: any benefit to changing the difficulty in the options menu? I noticed that Very Easy was the default. (edit: saw answer on previous page, thanks)

Also, I tried bumper view since that's usually my preferred view for racers, just to play with it.... holy hell is the game impressive from that angle. Unfortunately it makes it trickier to avoid bumping for maximum points!

Beezy

That goddamn heart attack mode achievement has been pissing me off since I first got the game. One little mistake and I drop to AA. -_-

The AAA achievement will be the last one I earn i'm sure, I never did get AAA for every area even in the original and I played that a lot.

Unlocked all the offline achievements apart from AAA just now, can't get the online ones for a few more weeks.

I find the track a lot easier then OR2's layout, less super right corners and need to use the brakes apart from starting a drift.

GhaleonQ

NOTE TO ALL FORUM READERS: Outrun, the concept, will probably always be fun. I got a couple of friends to get it to make up for me (since I own every one already).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally got the Risky Ride Achievement a few hours ago, not without a few frustrating times like 4'30'630 and 4'30"135 etc. and many more 4'31's - in the end I had to take my headset off (I was in an 8-person party chat) to do it because I was so damn frustrated...

Then right after that, I got 14'30"165 on the Beat 14 courses under 14'30 Achievement and was so pissed because I bumped the wall on the last drift, and after that I couldn't get any better than 4'35"00 because my frustrations kept me making HUGE blunders - I was so pissed that I didn't get it on the second try because I was even setting records on tracks where I got the Risky Ride Achievement on...

Called it a day about an hour ago, will try tomorrow instead - didn't even get to retry the Heart Attack Mode yet, but I think I will nail both tomorrow and get 200/200 with a fresh mind...

Any tips for the 4:30 achievement? I'm using the Testarosa in manual and using mostly the downshift drifting. The path I think I do the best is L-R-L-R-L, and I can't seem to get any better than 4:45.

Is there some sort of boost from the starting line? The ghosts always seem to speed off ahead of me before I can get up to 2nd gear. Also, the first level is the one I do the worst on.. typically like 1:00 or 1:01 or so.

This game definately has that "just one more try" feels though. Love it even though I suck. :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
JLateralus said:
Any tips for the 4:30 achievement? I'm using the Testarosa in manual and using mostly the downshift drifting. The path I think I do the best is L-R-L-R-L, and I can't seem to get any better than 4:45.

Is there some sort of boost from the starting line? The ghosts always seem to speed off ahead of me before I can get up to 2nd gear. Also, the first level is the one I do the worst on.. typically like 1:00 or 1:01 or so.

This game definately has that "just one more try" feels though. Love it even though I suck. :D

Yup, there is a boost - best way I found out today is to keep it neutral the whole time, then floor it as the 1 fades out and it says "GO" - but even if the needle is near red, don't shift up right away - let the needle drop back down and go up again...

I did Left-Right-Left-Left, and here's a tip for you - if you're getting 1:00 or 1:01, that probably means you're drifting - you don't have to drift at all for the first track...

And speaking of that "just one more try" feeling, I said screw it for waiting till tomorrow for try the Heart Attack Mode Achievement, and used my momentum from today's Time Attack Achievement and finally nailed the Cardiogram Achievement - I hadn't tried it in days and to nail it now when my OutRun skills from way back came back felt incredibly good! :D

Skilotonn said:
Yup, there is a boost - best way I found out today is to keep it neutral the whole time, then floor it as the 1 fades out and it says "GO" - but even if the needle is near red, don't shift up right away - let the needle drop back down and go up again...

I did Left-Right-Left-Left, and here's a tip for you - if you're getting 1:00 or 1:01, that probably means you're drifting - you don't have to drift at all for the first track...

And speaking of that "just one more try" feeling, I said screw it for waiting till tomorrow for try the Heart Attack Mode Achievement, and used my momentum from today's Time Attack Achievement and finally nailed the Cardiogram Achievement - I hadn't tried it in days and to nail it now when my OutRun skills from way back came back felt incredibly good! :D

Congrats! :D

And yeah, I am drifting in the first track.. thanks for the tip. I tend to drift without trying not to first... which I guess makes a big difference when you lose 10-20kph.

Brannon

15-stage continuous is a vicious battle in multiplayer. White-knuckle grinding all the way, and with catch-up on, it's always tense, though I try to find games with it off.

Also, Milky Way can go to hell, in both good and bad ways. Sure it helps separate you from the pack, but when you do bad there, you really have to scramble to make up.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
cjelly said:
Cardiogram is pissing me off.

Fuck those final blue cones.
Ending D has a REALLY easy Special Request 3, but it pretty much means you have to go through the Ice Mountain stage which I've gone through about A THOUSAND TIMES with scoring a AA.

I got it on route D last night. Bay, Forest, Ice, Milky Way. Drop down a gear if you have trouble whacking the ghosts or catching the stars. I screwed up a few times, especially on the stars, but I got it within half an hour.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally. Got the Gumball King Achievement FINALLY.

Damn thing literally gave me a headache because I kept screwing up one or two stages that I know by the back of my hand, and at most times I was setting new records multiple times - but then I would screw up somewhere ROYALLY and throw the rest of the perfect runs to hell...

The worse was when I fucked up horribly (and I mean so bad that I was 11 seconds behind my fastest ghost) on Milky Way, was about to quit, but went ahead anyways, somehow came out of the last turn on the last track on too low of a gear, and by the time I shifted back up, I crossed the line 0.212's of a second too late - 0.212 of a second. Man I wanted to flip out...

Then I nailed it right after with 11 or 12 seconds to spare, even while behind a lot of my best ghosts by 1 or 2 seconds a track - finally, 200/200 Gamerscore for OutRun Online, I'm happy...

Oreoleo

Hm just tried to host an online match and the game just hung indefinitely at the loading screen after the countdown in the lobby. Waited probably 2 or 3 minutes and finally just quit to dashboard. Is this just one of the many MP bugs?

Game is AWESOME though. I've had a hankering for a good arcade racer that isn't Burnout Paradise recently and this game definitely scratches that itch :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Orellio said:
Hm just tried to host an online match and the game just hung indefinitely at the loading screen after the countdown in the lobby. Waited probably 2 or 3 minutes and finally just quit to dashboard. Is this just one of the many MP bugs?

Game is AWESOME though. I've had a hankering for a good arcade racer that isn't Burnout Paradise recently and this game definitely scratches that itch :D

Yes, SEGA has been smart to plan such ports (and to give SUMO the porting duties)... they look very nice (set your XMB to 720p before launching it... friendly advice :)) and they are kick-ass classic games which are perfect for the online services in question :D.

Come on, do Crazy Taxi next!!!!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded it and I'm having a great time playing online. Reminds me of playing OutRun 2, which I still own. My own gripe is that when you enter a lobby you could see the progress of the race instead of seeing "Race in progress. Please wait." This way you know if the next race is about to start or you'll have to wait a while. The next thing would be for a "ready up" option. This way you can change cars, colors, and music without having to rush. And finally, the option for the host to kick people!! So many assholes want to ruin it for everyone.

Just played every mode again this morning and i've noticed they somehow removed the "OutRun 2 SP" logo in the loading screens after each race now with a solid blue loading bar, sneaky :D

Oreoleo

Diablohead said:
Just played every mode again this morning and i've noticed they somehow removed the "OutRun 2 SP" logo in the loading screens after each race now with a solid blue loading bar, sneaky :D

I was very incredulous after reading this so I loaded it up and the 'Outrun2SP' is definitely still there after finishing a race.

Orellio said:
I was very incredulous after reading this so I loaded it up and the 'Outrun2SP' is definitely still there after finishing a race.
Odd :eek: do you skip the progression map before the little car get's to the goal? Not that this matters at all but it's mildly interesting.

Top Bottom