• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

ccgear

Banned
Saw Chris here at PAX and chatted for a bit. Really nice guy and recognized his voice instantly. Felt kinda bad afterwards because I realized I didn't even offer my name but I didn't want to take up too much of his time.

Looks like I'm too late for this week but can Kevin please refer to water fountains as "bubblers" again next week? That was my favorite part of last week's show.

SuperPac

Saw Chris here at PAX and chatted for a bit. Really nice guy and recognized his voice instantly. Felt kinda bad afterwards because I realized I didn't even offer my name but I didn't want to take up too much of his time.

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. A bunch of people did, and it's always great to meet people who listen to the show - that people like listening to us talk about games is the reason we continue to do it after 9 (whoa) years. I usually ask what your hacker alias is but I forgot to do that with a few people. :) Thanks for stopping by the adult swim booth and thanks for listening.

I saw some guy today wearing a back in my play shirt and tried to catch him and say "hey I know that show!" But he was too fast and escaped down the aisle before I could. Dag nabbit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Kevin is a bit crazy about the Vita. It's basically a machine for Japanese games, and any games that they do port over are probably done just to have something for PS+.

I think Kevin is a bit crazy about the Vita. It's basically a machine for Japanese games, and any games that they do port over are probably done just to have something for PS+.

You are 100% right. Was a little over emotional. But I loved the Vita and supported the hell out of it.

Now that is what it is. And with all the games coming from localization companies, it is not so bad.

Massa

For me the Vita is basically an indie machine. Playing Dustforce, The Swindle and Titan Souls currently.

As a recent Vita owner, really disappointing to hear what Kevin is talking about. I honestly play my indie games on PC but it's really hard to be sympathetic with Kevin. I'd never buy a cross buy game on the promise of a port. Knowing that it could take months, years by which point there would be a discount.

That said I think it's important to hold Sony to account over it anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You are 100% right. Was a little over emotional. But I loved the Vita and supported the hell out of it.

Now that is what it is. And with all the games coming from localization companies, it is not so bad.
Yeah, I mean to be fair, the exclusives it gets are still great if you like those types of games - Dangonranpa being the latest. And since I've semi-retired my PS3, I consider Steins;Gate another interesting release that is Vita exclusive.

But yeah, it's not Galax-Z, so I can understand why you might be disappointed... but it could be much worse. At least it's not the PSP (Go).

For me the Vita is basically an indie machine. Playing Dustforce, The Swindle and Titan Souls currently.

As a recent Vita owner, really disappointing to hear what Kevin is talking about. I honestly play my indie games on PC but it's really hard to be sympathetic with Kevin. I'd never buy a cross buy game on the promise of a port. Knowing that it could take months, years by which point there would be a discount.

I think the signs were clear when they stopped developing first party games for it after... Tearaway I think. They even killed that f2p card collecting game that Yoshida liked, so it seems like they're just cutting their losses. If it weren't for PS+, I'd assume they wouldn't bother with Vita at all.

(Which is interesting because the moment they stop releasing Vita and PS3 games on PS+, there's going to be a lot of bitching. lol)

Might have been a little illogical, but I was doing it to support the developers who were talking up Vita support with many things along the lines of "We love the Vita and love developing for it."

Yeah, I mean to be fair, the exclusives it gets are still great if you like those types of games - Dangonranpa being the latest. And since I've semi-retired my PS3, I consider Steins;Gate another interesting release that is Vita exclusive.

But yeah, it's not Galax-Z, so I can understand why you might be disappointed... but it could be much worse. At least it's not the PSP (Go).

I think the signs were clear when they stopped developing first party games for it after... Tearaway I think. They even killed that f2p card collecting game that Yoshida liked, so it seems like they're just cutting their losses. If it weren't for PS+, I'd assume they wouldn't bother with Vita at all.

(Which is interesting because the moment they stop releasing Vita and PS3 games on PS+, there's going to be a lot of bitching. lol)

Agreed, like I said I have a ton of retail games preordered like

Steins Gate (which I already imported from EU)
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair
Zero Escape 3
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space
Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Disco Fever Edition

That is like $250 in games just for the rest of 2015. Not bad at all. More disappointed by the cancellation of Vita versions of games when announced and the loss of indie support, which in the past has been very strong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I think the days of a "free" Vita version are done. It probably doesn't make sense to support it as a feature when perhaps only a minority of people take advantage of crossplay. The fact that they're just clearing out Vita TVs and probably aren't making that many more Vitas in the near future just gives the impression that they've given up.

But, hey, Japanese devs see the Vita as a way to continue to make lower budget games that they can't make for PS4, so it still has a place for games that probably wouldn't make it to any other platform. That's better than nothing at least!

Don't doubt the Larrabee Lock!

Just announced at the Gamestop Managers meeting in Vegas. Smaller New 3DS is coming Sept 25 in an Animal Crossing bundle with two faceplate sets!

c0rD8Bt.jpg

You can always do what I am doing, selling the code and faceplates.

I think the game is preloaded, so enjoy the game. But yes, I preordered it. It would be pretty rude of me to complain about this for months and then back out just because it isn't exactly the way I want it. Also, I don't trust NoA to ever release it unbundled.

Ultima_5

I think the game is preloaded, so enjoy the game. But yes, I preordered it. It would be pretty rude of me to complain about this for months and then back out just because it isn't exactly the way I want it. Also, I don't trust NoA to ever release it unbundled.

That's why i placed my preorder despite not being interested in the game. oh well. now to find some faceplates

That's why i placed my preorder despite not being interested in the game. oh well. now to find some faceplates

And you know NoA will only bundle it with games aimed at directly at younger kids and more casual users, so might as well jump in now. Everything else will get an XL bundle, as seen with the accompanying Zelda 3DS announcement.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally getting around to last week's episode, I tend to drag my feet when they have guests. Found it kinda funny Kevin thought kids gave a shit about Mario in any way. That shits dead as Dillinger...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And now I'm on the current episode, and yikes, Kevin is weird about the Vita. It's dead, pal. The "promises" aren't worth fulfilling.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How different is its current situation to when those promises were made?
i dunno. Why? How different...maybe they thought people bought Vita games? Like Rich, I like my Vita, but I never buy anything. Over half the new releases, if you buy those you get on an FBI watch list and the other half will be free on Plus soon.

i dunno. Why? How different...maybe they thought people bought Vita games? Like Rich, I like my Vita, but I never buy anything. Over half the new releases, if you buy those you get on an FBI watch list and the other half will be free on Plus soon.

The Vita has been "dead" for awhile now. I agree with Rich, don't promise things you aren't going to follow through with. It's not like the Vita had this sudden, dramatic drop in sales. For games like Axiom Verge, it's hard to believe that it makes much more or less financial sense to finish a port now than it did when the game came out and the devs promised the port.

It's true that some of those ports seemed pretty suspect at the time, but I still don't think it's weird to be disappointed when you're told a game is coming to a platform and then it doesn't.

Massa

And now I'm on the current episode, and yikes, Kevin is weird about the Vita. It's dead, pal. The "promises" aren't worth fulfilling.

No, he's completely wrong. The games that were promised for Vita are still coming to Vita, and were even playable at PAX this weekend. Galak-Z was announced and later canceled on Vita but they changed their minds before taking anyone's money for any version. That studio just doesn't seem to know anything about doing a tech analysis given their history of constant delays. That situation was embarrassing for that studio, but of course since it's the Vita everyone is all "it's dead!". It's been dead for 4 years now, I should get a zombie skin for mine. ;)

It wasn't completely clear in the episode since it was all part of a rant but it's worth mentioning that none of the cross buy games that people bought the PS4 version and expect to come to Vita have been canceled. A couple more cross buy PS4+Vita indies are coming out today, same day on PS4 and Vita and free on PS+ and they're both great games.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 wasn't made for a specific portable like the first one was, besides the name it's a completely different beast. It had performance issues on the freaking PS4, so yeah the Vita port isn't amazing. It's still very much playable though.

Like I mentioned a few posts back (before listening to the episode), the Vita is still very much getting ports of great games, if you're a fan of portables and like playing games on them there are still loads of great games coming and I still play mine just as much as when I first got it.

It is odd that I would say 50/50 split of people supporting what I said via here and twitter responses.

Massa, I said it was a worrying trend and I gave 3 examples. I did not say all of them are being canceled.

The games that were promised for Vita are still coming to Vita, and were even playable at PAX this weekend.

Which ones are you referencing? I said Galak-Z, Axium Verge, Volume.

And I am not saying it is dead, like I mentioned a few posts before I have 5 retail games for preorder. And I bet I have purchased more games retail and digital than 95% of Vita owners. I love the console. LOVE IT. I have even imported multiple games and consoles from Japan for the Vita.

The point was that it looks bad that there is a trend of games that were once announced as cross-buy or having a Vita version are being delayed or canceled. That was the point.

Rational or not, it is a big deal to me when companies go back on games announced for systems (especially ones like the Vita that have a hardcore following thirsty for games).

Announcing a game for a platform is like a promise a company is making to a consumer. When you start breaking those promises on a semi-regular basis I begin to lose my trust in them.

Massa

Galak-Z is in a category of its own in this discussion. It's totally justifiable to be upset at that situation, it's a pretty shitty thing for a developer to do and I think the blame is 100% on that developer. I wouldn't lump the others with it.

I'm not upset by game delays when they do happen. It's for the same reason that many of these games come out on PC before consoles, they're funded by smaller companies that have to work on one platform at a time, and the Vita is the harder platform to target with the smallest user base. And it happens rarely relative to the number of games coming out on Vita and PS4.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, one easy solution is to just not make these games Cross-Buy in the future. Not the outcome you want, but the one that'll likely be done moving forwards.

LiK

totally understand Kevin's frustration with the promised cross-play Vita games. kinda sucks they would announce it and then cancel it.

also, Danganronpa AE just came out so Rich can buy THAT Vita game ;)

Top Bottom