• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Player 1 Podcast Topic

SuperPac

So why has the Vita tanked so hard? Software support? Bad launch? Bad follow-up? Lacking first-party support? Is it that the market for a portable game system is smaller or more confined to younger players? Too many people playing games on their phones instead?

It checked off so many of the boxes people cited as the reason the PSP didn't gain traction against Nintendo. It had the dual analog sticks, it launched with some big IPs (and had Call of Duty, too), the price....was...well, it got better. It does Remote Play for PS4 (though I've never been able to get it working reliably, personally).

The PSTV didn't even do jack. It's kind of the most amazing stab at a market from a platform holder with dominance in one area that's completely unable to do anything in the other. Despite pretty good hardware.

LiK

So why has the Vita tanked so hard? Software support? Bad launch? Bad follow-up? Lacking first-party support? Is it that the market for a portable game system is smaller or more confined to younger players? Too many people playing games on their phones instead?

It checked off so many of the boxes people cited as the reason the PSP didn't gain traction against Nintendo. It had the dual analog sticks, it launched with some big IPs (and had Call of Duty, too), the price....was...well, it got better. It does Remote Play for PS4 (though I've never been able to get it working reliably, personally).

The PSTV didn't even do jack. It's kind of the most amazing stab at a market from a platform holder with dominance in one area that's completely unable to do anything in the other. Despite pretty good hardware.

those inflated memory card prices were definitely an issue. so many guys I know on GAF refuse to buy a Vita cuz of the jacked up memory card prices. it made investing in a Vita even more expensive. one of the biggest mistakes Sony made.

Alucrid

Banned
It is odd that I would say 50/50 split of people supporting what I said via here and twitter responses.

Massa, I said it was a worrying trend and I gave 3 examples. I did not say all of them are being canceled.

Which ones are you referencing? I said Galak-Z, Axium Verge, Volume.

And I am not saying it is dead, like I mentioned a few posts before I have 5 retail games for preorder. And I bet I have purchased more games retail and digital than 95% of Vita owners. I love the console. LOVE IT. I have even imported multiple games and consoles from Japan for the Vita.

The point was that it looks bad that there is a trend of games that were once announced as cross-buy or having a Vita version are being delayed or canceled. That was the point.

Rational or not, it is a big deal to me when companies go back on games announced for systems (especially ones like the Vita that have a hardcore following thirsty for games).

Announcing a game for a platform is like a promise a company is making to a consumer. When you start breaking those promises on a semi-regular basis I begin to lose my trust in them.
Axiom verge and volume are still coming to vita as far as I know. When were they cancelled? As far as Galax z goes, sure it's disappointing, but I don't see how Sony is to blame if 8 bit believes they couldn't get the game they want on the vita, unless you blame them for not making the vita more powerful

So if you buy a JP 3DS, can you just use your US credit card to buy games on the JP eshop? Or do you have to buy eshop points? All this import talk has made me interested in getting a JP 3DS, but if I have to buy point cards, then I'll just stick to my US 3DS and try various region lock passthroughs.

Axiom verge and volume are still coming to vita as far as I know. When were they cancelled? As far as Galax z goes, sure it's disappointing, but I don't see how Sony is to blame if 8 bit believes they couldn't get the game they want on the vita, unless you blame them for not making the vita more powerful

I did not say canceled. I said delayed.

So if you buy a JP 3DS, can you just use your US credit card to buy games on the JP eshop? Or do you have to buy eshop points? All this import talk has made me interested in getting a JP 3DS, but if I have to buy point cards, then I'll just stick to my US 3DS and try various region lock passthroughs.

No, I had my friend who lives in Tokyo buy me an eshop credit card from 7/11. Don't think US credit cards will work.

Also you can not access the JP eshop with a US 3DS. The custom firmware just lets region free cart use.

No, I had my friend who lives in Tokyo buy me an eshop credit card from 7/11. Don't think US credit cards will work.

Also you can not access the JP eshop with a US 3DS. The custom firmware just lets region free cart use.
I just need a friend in Tokyo, eh?

Oh well, I don't really have the funds anyway. I'll probably just import Rhythm Tengoku and go from there.

Thanks for the reply though!

My Canadian credit card works just fine on my JP 3DS. I assume an American one would work just fine as well.

Oxx

The 3DS has had an amazing summer in Japan.

The situation is far bleaker in this country. Majora's Mask is the only 3DS game I have bought this year (and might be the only one considering Fire Emblem and Yokai Watchare 2016 in Europe).

Really enjoyed thew mixed up crew this week. Rich and Kevin would seem so different at an initial glance (sports guy vs japanese games guy) that it was great to hear about their shared experiences.

CO_Andy

Thanks for answering my question on the show, Kev.

I have a feeling Greg was thinking of Big Sky Trooper when you mentioned E.X. Troopers.

SickBoy

I think a lot of it is the last couple of points. Outside of this gamer demographic, I don't think the market for a handheld is huge... because when people see a handheld, they think "this is a device for on the road" and they have a smartphone for that -- even though many of us who have these devices like them because we maybe don't have to be tethered to a TV all the time. I also wonder if software is part of it -- people who want to play on the go are more likely to go with familiar Mario than this platform with a bunch of weird and (potentially) wonderful games on it.

I don't know if there are numbers about it -- maybe he knows better -- but I did question Kevin's claims about the Vita attach rate, and the notion that there's a small army of gamers thirsty to buy Vita games. Even though I own the system, maybe I'm part of the problem. I know I'm not alone in this, but I bought one for the express purpose of not buying games. I felt like the PS+ offering would feed the system and make it a worthy purchase over the duration of my ownership. I've since bought a couple of games (Tearaway, The Show for $3, and Minecraft ... though I suppose you could call that a PS3 buy) and a big memory card. But overall, for me it's been a system that hasn't required game purchases... and maybe that's not a good thing.

CO_Andy

He took a writing position at Polygon that forbid him from going on podcasts.
Whaaaaaaat

Are you serious? He trash talked Polygon so much it seems a bit unreal. Also CJ made it sound like Mik could come back on the show when he's up to doing it again. I thought that was alluding to his recent divorce.

zmet

My Canadian credit card works just fine on my JP 3DS. I assume an American one would work just fine as well.
I use my American credit card to purchase Japanese Wii Virtual Console/Arcade games all the time. I used it this past weekend to purchase the arcade versions of Rolling Thunder 2, Phelios, Splatterhouse, Burning Force, and Dragon Saber.

I use my American credit card to purchase Japanese Wii Virtual Console/Arcade games all the time. I used it this past weekend to purchase the arcade versions of Rolling Thunder 2, Phelios, Splatterhouse, Burning Force, and Dragon Saber.

Thanks for the clarification, must have just been an issue with my CC when I tried last year.

Whaaaaaaat

Are you serious? He trash talked Polygon so much it seems a bit unreal. Also CJ made it sound like Mik could come back on the show when he's up to doing it again. I thought that was alluding to his recent divorce.
off course not its a joke Mik has a good job in a totally different industry also he has family stuff to work on right now that is why no podcasting.

Massa

I think it was terrible timing for the Vita.

To start with it was coming off the PSP and PS3, which despite selling 80+ million each did not leave a very good impression. I think some polls showed most developers expected the Xbox One (or "3" at the time) to kill the PS4; that was the kind of faith people had in Sony at the time. The Vita wasn't even considered, everyone expected it to fail and that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The state of the industry was right in the middle of the transition it went through last gen, with middle tier disappearing and AAA games getting bigger in budget (and fewer being made). We've seen a recovery from this trend with self publishing of smaller and even mid tear games on the growth of digital, but by the time that recovery actually made an impact on the Vita (with its indie games) the fate of the system had already been written.

This quote from Peter Moore sums up the AAA problem (it's from Gamescom 2015 but he's been saying it for years): "Eight years ago when I joined EA, we were publishing 70 games a year. 70. And this year we might do twelve". When you go from 70 to 12 what gets cut is your DS and PSP spin-offs. If Dead Space can't exist on consoles anymore it's not a Medal of Honor spin-off for Vita that's going to make the cut. The Vita needed digital games to be there at the beginning, and to be much bigger than they were back in 2011.

Another noticeable thing is that it was right in the middle of SCEA/SCEE wrestling control of the business from the Japanese side. A lot of the Vita was quite clearly made for Japan at a time most people knew they were out of touch with the rest of the world. Then of course it failed there simply because they allowed Nintendo to steal Monster Hunter exclusivity.

There's also the issue of SCEA not ever really "getting it" when it comes to handhelds. Until a few years ago at least they were pretty much *all* about games being big and cinematic, a terrible mix with handheld. When your Vita marketing campaign is basically "it's not as good as your PS3 but it's the closest you'll get!" you're not really going anywhere. If you look at markets in Europe like Spain the Vita actually does *incredibly* well.

The Vita TV was a decent idea but it needed a significant push to have a chance of being successful. Take Amazon: they put money into their Fire TV thing but they don't have a brand powerful enough to push it, while Sony has the brand but they can't afford to make a real effort. I mean, when you release something called Playstation TV and you can't afford a Netflix contract for it, what the hell are you doing?

SickBoy

off course not its a joke Mik has a good job in a totally different industry also he has family stuff to work on right now that is why no podcasting.

No, the first response was correct:

rXbwa4N.jpg

...I hear he's currently working on a 3,000-word feature about how he thinks he should talk about videogames, but he finds discussing the geopolitics of Labrador far more engaging.

No, the first response was correct:

...I hear he's currently working on a 3,000-word feature about how he thinks he should talk about videogames, but he finds discussing the geopolitics of Labrador far more engaging.

Yup. I told y'all. If I'm wrong, then Mike will go on the podcast and deny it. Simple as that!

I'll be honest, I stopped listening to this podcast a about 2 months back due to the ongoing absence of Mike. Just popped in to see if he's back yet.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'll be honest, I stopped listening to this podcast a about 2 months back due to the ongoing absence of Mike. Just popped in to see if he's back yet.
I also slowed down my listening to much lower than I did before due to mik's absence.

I still like the podcast when it's the core group or the occasional Rich Grisham.
I genuinely thought the episode where CJ was the babysitter was great.

Trevelyon

I'm kind of losing interest too. The core group just isn't together near enough anymore, even excluding mik (obviously home life comes first, and everyone is busy) it's been rather uneven this year and it doesn't help with the small roulette wheel of weekly 'guests' that they've had in their stead recently.

Might take a break.

Trevelyon

Don't really feel Kevin at all. He tends to dominate discussion (like I'll track anywhere in most episodes he's on and he'll be usually holding court) and his personality and some of his heavy handed opinions are sort of grating. I'm sure he is a very nice fellow though, from what I know, just doesn't work for me on this particular podcast.

To be brilliantly pedantic, all of the original host are present whenever CJ and Greg are on the show together.

And with that, I have improved your listening experience! You may thank me at your leisure.

CO_Andy

Just listened to the MM4 episode of Back in my Play.

You cray cray Phil if you think MM9 is harder than MM1. Even Mohammed thinks MM1 is much more difficult.

Episode 4. They had a good run up until then...
I believe the answer he was looking for is GameNOW!!

Just listened to an old episode (Dan was on it) and Phil, CJ, and Dan were talking about how great it would be if Nintendo made a Mario level editor. It would be amazing, Phil says, but Nintendo would never do it "ever, ever, in a million years." Can't remember the episode but Sewart couldn't make it because his was with his wife having their first kid.

I want a new dead pool episode. Need some more #LarabeeLocks to influence my investment decisions.

Kevin sucks (Kevin, are you aware you're on a show or has someone covertly stuck a microphone on your lapel so that we may hear your random thoughts as you go about your day?)*, so hopefully he doesn't become a permanent host. I've enjoyed all of the other guest hosts, though. Rich Grisham is quite good, almost too good for the show. Cbake and Ethan Einhorn have great anecdotes, and I have fond memories reading their articles and reviews as a kid during the Ziff Davis era. Those sports guys you've had on in the past have been solid as well.

I get the feeling that mik's life has turned into the equivalent of Walter White's in season 3/4 of Breaking Bad. Hopefully, there's a happy ending for him and he returns soon.

* Dicky Anderson joke.

topz

Top Bottom