• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Problem With EGM Magazine" - A writer speaks out

Kusagari

The Antitype said:
I pretty much only read Game Informer and EDGE now.

And let's be honest, Game Informer only makes enough money to stay around cause they were savvy enough to cut that deal with Gamestop.

Gamestop OWNS Game Informer which is why they push it so much.

scitek

I'd love to chat with one of you guys that writes for one of these publications or websites. I want to be a critic, namely a video reviewer, but have no clue where to start with it. I have lots of reviews online.

mollipen

Ravidrath said:
If the company is solvent, why would they not be paying freelancers and employee expenses in a timely manner?

There is absolutely no way I have any place to talk about any of that stuff, as I don't have even the first bit of knowledge on this guy's situation. All I can comment on is my personal situation.

I wrote two articles for EGM last year and was extremely proud to be published in print after more than a decade of writing about games online. The freelance rate was respectable for both articles, but it took about three months to get paid, and that was after multiple emails. In the end, Jodi Bonestroo made it sound like she was doing me a special favor to cut me a check in December for writing I had done in September.

For all of you looking to the future with EGMi on the iPad... keep in mind that the EGMi editorial staff is all gone now. I suspect that the print staff won't last much longer. There are plenty of good people working at EGM, but that organization is messed up at the highest levels.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
MrDanger88 said:
I thought it their problem was charging $11 for a 30 page magazine but whatever.
I can't believe the wires got THIS crossed. It's been almost THREE YEARS.

Tellaerin

Tobor said:
Exactly what I said when The relaunch was announced. Who launches a niche magazine on paper now? Especially one where the niche market is internet savvy?

Just because a person is internet savvy doesn't mean they want to do all their reading on a fucking screen.

Sorry, but as someone who is very partial to printed media, I am sick of hearing certain posters banging the 'print is dead' drum. True or not, you don't have to be so damn smug about it.

Tobor

Tellaerin said:
Just because a person is internet savvy doesn't mean they want to do all their reading on a fucking screen.

Sorry, but as someone who is very partial to printed media, I am sick of hearing certain posters banging the 'print is dead' drum. True or not, you don't have to be so damn smug about it.
Our personal preferences don't have any bearing on what I said. Regardless of those preferences, It's my opinion that a print magazine dedicated to gaming is a bad business proposition in 2011. I don't see how that's being smug.

Cartman86

Banned
Figured they were screwed up for a while now. Rotating door with the staff, Area 5 stuff ending, and promised ipad magazine taking forever to come out. Not to mention no one was talking about EGM.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Tobor said:
Our personal preferences don't have any bearing on what I said. Regardless of those preferences, It's my opinion that a print magazine dedicated to gaming is a bad business proposition in 2011. I don't see how that's being smug.
Maybe not smug, but whether or not print is dead, the horse you're flogging sure is.

Ravidrath

shidoshi said:
There is absolutely no way I have any place to talk about any of that stuff, as I don't have even the first bit of knowledge on this guy's situation. All I can comment on is my personal situation.

Sure, but I'm not even talking about the guy that started this thread... I'm talking about at least two other people that aren't there any more.

The situation described in the OP is not an isolated incident, so I can only think that you choose not to see the problems here because there is ample evidence to counter your position.

I wish you the best, but just don't invest too heavily, OK? Steve doesn't give one shit about you unless you're somehow essential to his master ScreenPaper plan. Just protect yourself, and get your expenses reimbursed ASAP, and try to minimize them from here on out.

Jonnyboy117 said:
In the end, Jodi Bonestroo made it sound like she was doing me a special favor to cut me a check in December for writing I had done in September.

That's Steve's girlfriend.

She certainly doesn't know how to work the books, so one can only assume she just knows how to work... well, you know.

vireland

Kusagari said:
Gamestop OWNS Game Informer which is why they push it so much.

When Andy/Reiner took charge of GI, it really started to hit its stride, and now is one of the best print mags for games. I love that their covers are consistently surprising, and often amazing, and the content often surprises to the upside as well.

Massa

Tobor said:
Exactly what I said when The relaunch was announced. Who launches a niche magazine on paper now? Especially one where the niche market is internet savvy?

People who understand what they need to offer when making a magazine.

There are examples of gaming magazines that do just fine, and there are also examples of Steve Harris doing a pretty poor job of running his business. I wouldn't use his take on EGM as an example of anything.

MrHicks

Banned
why would anyone buy a print magazine with outdated news is beyond me
any exclusive news gets posted online anyways the second its on shelves so..

JohngPR

It's really sad that this sort of thing is going on, especially with a magazine I used to love. :(

With respect to those that are still part of EGM, it's a huge warning sign to us readers when the majority of your well known talent all leave within a few days of each other.

Stage On

I renewed my subscription early before the inital 12 issues ran out...but hearing stuff like this is really making me question if it's worth it partly becuse I'm half afraid the mag will fold and my money will just go down the drain.

Gamepro lately hasn't been as good either. The last issue was a thin read. :(

Top Bottom