• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Promised Neverland (Shonen Jump) |OT| It's gonna eat you up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding the whole Gilda scene.

It makes it look like she's the one who put the note under the door at first, but it was Don or Ray pretending to be Don? It's a little confusing. If that's the case, why did Gilda get up in the middle of the night in the first place? Was it just a coincidence?

Gilda probably wanted to talk to mom to curb her own hesitation.

Also I think Ray is hedging his bet being the "traitor" because he doesn't believe the escape will be successful trying to take all the kids with them so he's maximizing his chances of living regardless of if the escape succeeds or fails.

So does anyone think Norman WON'T die?

I have a question regarding the whole Gilda scene.

It makes it look like she's the one who put the note under the door at first, but it was Don or Ray pretending to be Don? It's a little confusing. If that's the case, why did Gilda get up in the middle of the night in the first place? Was it just a coincidence?
As far as we know it was Ray because he was the only one that knew about the ropes under the beds. Gilda and Don only knew about the attic

mdubs

Banned
I wonder if Mom's endgame is the same as Sister Krone was saying ie. turning Emma into the next Mom.

But yeah Norman is definitely dying at some point, probably because of Ray I'm going to guess as part of them giving him a second chance presumably. I'm predicting that Don is going to eat it as well.

Nairume

Banned
Honestly, I'm really expecting a swerve. Considering how relatively smart this series seems to be,
it really wouldn't surprise me in the least if the "death flags" being set up for Norman and the stuff about Ray being the spy were actually reversed, and Norman was actually the spy the whole time and Ray ends up being the one who sacrifices himself for the rest of the kids.

A possibility. I also think that, long shot,
Norman might just kill Ray
. The way they've been painting Norman this doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.And I don't mean down the line, either. I mean like next chapter.

zethren

Banned
Holy shit. Chapter 12 spoilers:
I'm assuming that Ray has the intention of escaping on his own, or being "pardoned" by turning on them.

Maybe Ray has even known about this for a while, which would make sense given his general attitude is vastly different from the other kids. He seems burdened by the truth, and would also make sense as to why he went along with Norman and Emma so easily.

Super enjoying it. Do we know when more chapters release? Is it weekly?

Holy shit. Chapter 12 spoilers:
I'm assuming that Ray has the intention of escaping on his own, or being "pardoned" by turning on them.

Maybe Ray has even known about this for a while, which would make sense given his general attitude is vastly different from the other kids. He seems burdened by the truth, and would also make sense as to why he went along with Norman and Emma so easily.

Super enjoying it. Do we know when more chapters release? Is it weekly?

It releases weekly on monday's via Viz's digital shonen jump magazine.

mdubs

Banned
A possibility. I also think that, long shot,
Norman might just kill Ray
. The way they've been painting Norman this doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.And I don't mean down the line, either. I mean like next chapter.

I think that would probably be too dark. I'm predicting that Norman is going to get Sister Krone killed by the demons via some sort of trick, probably by exposing Sister Krone to Mom

Linkura

Gilda probably wanted to talk to mom to curb her own hesitation.

Thanks, makes sense.

As far as we know it was Ray because he was the only one that knew about the ropes under the beds. Gilda and Don only knew about the attic

I thought they told Don about under the bed, and that was in the note to Mom

Also, I know I posted the Emma/Norman from Bates Motel thing as a joke, but actually reading this series, it plays out a lot like Emma and Norman's investigation in Season 1 regarding the sexual trafficking. I would be surprised if the author didn't name them after Bates Motel.

I mean, the first chapter did have a dead child in it.

Yeah but that was an off screen kill where we just saw the corpse, thats a bit different from seeing our child protagonist kill someone.

Actually the flower that killed Connie is still a big ? Maybe they have them growing inside them already making running away futile hence mom's cockyness.

Thanks, makes sense.

I thought they told Don about under the bed, and that was in the note to Mom

Also, I know I posted the Emma/Norman from Bates Motel thing as a joke, but actually reading this series, it plays out a lot like Emma and Norman's investigation in Season 1 regarding the sexual trafficking. I would be surprised if the author didn't name them after Bates Motel.

Norman just told Ray that he told Don about the rope under the bed but he actually didn't tell Don so Ray was the only other person with that information.

Love this manga. OT: Food for thought

man this series is such a treat

Also Gilda is likely going to betray them since that Sister told her that if she ever felt Emma was lying to her to go back to her

it seems the half truth they told them in order to not make them freak out too much is going to bite them back one day

Tizoc

Halfway thru chapter 1 amid gonna stop for new as I suspect I know what's happening next :x like it so far so I'm gonna continue reading it tomorrow

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just started reading it today.

Fuck at that chapter 12 ending.

Norman is playing 4th dimensional chess while Ray is playing Chess.

Well, to set up that plan Norman should've doubted Ray from the start. Smart af.

It does seem like Norman will have to die because he is almost too smart. Honestly if Norman dies like we all suspect and for giggles lets say Don dies too it would give us an interesting dynamic.

Gilda who doesn't trust the others because they're witholding information

Ray who nobody can trust because he's out for his best interest

Emma who's shonen optimism is a liability to everyone around her but is also the spark that keeps them going

Linkura

Norman just told Ray that he told Don about the rope under the bed but he actually didn't tell Don so Ray was the only other person with that information.

Wut. I must have missed this. How do we know that? Did Gilda know about her supposed rope location or did he just tell Ray that too?

man this series is such a treat

Also Gilda is likely going to betray them since that Sister told her that if she ever felt Emma was lying to her to go back to her

it seems the half truth they told them in order to not make them freak out too much is going to bite them back one day

I don't know about that. Krone is creepy as fuck. I wouldn't trust her for shit. Gilda doesn't seem to like her either. Hope I'm right.

Started the first chapter last night and didn't stop until I was caught up. Best new manga I've read in years.

My crazy theory? Mom is going to end up helping the kids. Sister Krone's machinations are going to put Mom in an awkward position with the demons where it will be in her best interest to betray them. Her having been a former "orphan" coupled with the implication that she favors or identifies with Emma will lead to her empathizing with the children (or, at least see it as a better option than receiving punishment from the demons).

As someone clearly knowledgeable about the reality of the world, she will become a valuable asset beyond the wall (and aid in world building and plot progression)... but there will be distrust and animosity within the party due to Mom's past and her clear goal of self-preservation even at the cost of others' lives. Could lead to some interesting scenarios and character dynamics. ("Will she betray us later? Is this all part of some larger deception?")

...Long-shot, I know, but I really like Mom and hope we see more of her even after the escape.

SalvaPot

Caught up, I really like it, but the title of this OT kind of gave away what it was going to be about =P.

I wonder how far this series will go, it has the potential to get to 50 chapters easily, but I do wonder what exactly we could be getting after we obviously pass the wall.

Tizoc

Had to use a VPN to read the first 3 chapters but apparently not all titles Viz has up for reading or purchase are available in some regions =_=

Caught up, I really like it, but the title of this OT kind of gave away what it was going to be about =P.

I wonder how far this series will go, it has the potential to get to 50 chapters easily, but I do wonder what exactly we could be getting after we obviously pass the wall.

I was refrencing Emma in the first chapter when she claims she'll eat up the little kids is some sweet foreshadowing.

Tizoc

I was refrencing Emma in the first chapter when she claims she'll eat up the little kids is some sweet foreshadowing.

I kinda figured out everything by the time I was halfway thru ch. 1
I will give the author credit for building tension even though personally I feel like the pace is slowing down for character reaction and to ease the reader into the situation

Wish this was on Crunchyroll at least to read.

Mendrox

Yeah I am curious how the outside world is like. I guess there will be time jumps and more?

Linkura

Started the first chapter last night and didn't stop until I was caught up. Best new manga I've read in years.

My crazy theory? Mom is going to end up helping the kids. Sister Krone's machinations are going to put Mom in an awkward position with the demons where it will be in her best interest to betray them. Her having been a former "orphan" coupled with the implication that she favors or identifies with Emma will lead to her empathizing with the children (or, at least see it as a better option than receiving punishment from the demons).

As someone clearly knowledgeable about the reality of the world, she will become a valuable asset beyond the wall (and aid in world building and plot progression)... but there will be distrust and animosity within the party due to Mom's past and her clear goal of self-preservation even at the cost of others' lives. Could lead to some interesting scenarios and character dynamics. ("Will she betray us later? Is this all part of some larger deception?")

...Long-shot, I know, but I really like Mom and hope we see more of her even after the escape.
Nah, I think Mom might try to redeem herself in some way in the end as well. She sees herself in the kids. She was very likely in the same situation growing up herself, as she has an ID tattoo herself.

Wut. I must have missed this. How do we know that? Did Gilda know about her supposed rope location or did he just tell Ray that too?
It's not really stated but that's the most obvious move on Norman's part considering he was suspecting Ray. Norman told Emma and Ray that he'd give different fake info to Gilda and Don, but the one he really suspected was Ray, which probably means he told both Gilda and Don the ropes were in the bathroom and only Emma and Ray knew about the ropes under the bed.

Spruchy

I dunno if it's because I just read all the released chapters in one burst but I think I am of a different mindset regarding the chapter 12 ending.

I think this Ray thing will be a small hiccup, a bump in the road to lock down his support/loyalty. The new sister will have another major reveal on her before the actual escape. I can see the 3 protags surviving but being separated during the escape, maybe a fake death and then....time skip?!

Sorry that was some fan-theory stuff but I really liked this manga.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There is definitely going to be some fuckery with
them splitting into groups.
If they even get to that point.

TheChaos0

I've been reading since it started serialising. Does seem a bit out of place for Jump. Need to catch up on the latest chapter or two.

Linkura

It's not really stated but that's the most obvious move on Norman's part considering he was suspecting Ray. Norman told Emma and Ray that he'd give different fake info to Gilda and Don, but the one he really suspected was Ray, which probably means he told both Gilda and Don the ropes were in the bathroom and only Emma and Ray knew about the ropes under the bed.

Yeah, I can see how it was implied. Just want to make sure I wasn't missing an explicit reveal. Thanks!

It does seem like Norman will have to die because he is almost too smart. Honestly if Norman dies like we all suspect and for giggles lets say Don dies too it would give us an interesting dynamic.

Gilda who doesn't trust the others because they're witholding information

Ray who nobody can trust because he's out for his best interest

Emma who's shonen optimism is a liability to everyone around her but is also the spark that keeps them going

I'm thinking Emma will lose him, maybe not as a "death", he might just not make it to wherever they have to go after the wall.

Also i was thinking, if the author was cruel enough, that he could be like "the final boss" in the manga, of some sort.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
not reading the thread.. up to chapter 4.. It's ok so far. Waiting to see if it ramps up like most shonen.

While I'm grabbing these issues of Shonen Jump, is there anything else in them worth reading? Obviously there are the long running series, are there good starting points for those? The other Jump Start titles?

edit - obviously the english mag from Viz.

not reading the thread.. up to chapter 4.. It's ok so far. Waiting to see if it ramps up like most shonen.

While I'm grabbing these issues of Shonen Jump, is there anything else in them worth reading? Obviously there are the long running series, are there good starting points for those? The other Jump Start titles?

Love rush and red sprite are about to be shit canned maybe amalgam or spring weapon might survive those are new as well

mdubs

Banned

Putting in the time to reading all of My Hero Academia to catch up to the simulpup would be well worth your time if you haven't done so.

TheChaos0

Hero Academy and Promised Land is what I keep looking forward every week.

Love rush and red sprite are about to be shit canned maybe amalgam or spring weapon might survive those are new as well

Ehh, Red Sprite is kinda good.

Nightbird

I'm pretty sure the reason why Neverland is running in WSJ, is because Shueisha is aiming for it to become the next Attack on Titan.

I don't know how many of you know, but AoT was pitched first to run in WSJ when Shueisha told Isayama to change the artstyle and the story to make it fit more with the other WSJ offerings.
Isayama declined and went to Kodansha, where he got the contract.

After AoT became a series rivaling One Piece in terms of popularity in Japan, and even outdoing One Piece in the West, it was clear to Shueisha that they needed to change their guidelines.

And Neverland seems to be the first series that not only made it into WSJ with the changed guidelines, but also seems to be decently successful on top of it. And I'm pretty glad that it's the case, because that means we can expect more stuff like that in the future.

With that said, back to chapter 12

I was very impressed that the story actually went there. I did doubt Ray before, but I dropped the thought fast. He's the one who doesn't seem to be really into the whole idea of escaping and such, so that's why I suspected him.
But Norman, our 4D Chess king already thought of that and prepared a plan for this. I really, really like this guy!
But I also hope he doesn't die...

Stalk

I really enjoyed the opening but I don't know... The pacing is a bit weird to me. The latest twist seems pretty standard 7th episode twist kinda stuff to me. I'm interested to learn about the outside world.

Following the other discussion... I kinda guilty pleasure love rush. It is awful but hey, anime tiddies. The fact it jumped to a beach episode was no surprise. I also felt like it couldn't get much more out of the plot without having the same problem Nisekoi had.

Red sprite and amalgam are there. I kinda like robot no1 as a general gag manga.

SalvaPot

I'm pretty sure the reason why Neverland is running in WSJ, is because Shueisha is aiming for it to become the next Attack on Titan.

I don't know how many of you know, but AoT was pitched first to run in WSJ when Shueisha told Isayama to change the artstyle and the story to make it fit more with the other WSJ offerings.
Isayama declined and went to Kodansha, where he got the contract.

After AoT became a series rivaling One Piece in terms of popularity in Japan, and even outdoing One Piece in the West, it was clear to Shueisha that they needed to change their guidelines.

And Neverland seems to be the first series that not only made it into WSJ with the changed guidelines, but also seems to be decently successful on top of it. And I'm pretty glad that it's the case, because that means we can expect more stuff like that in the future.

With that said, back to chapter 12

I was very impressed that the story actually went there. I did doubt Ray before, but I dropped the thought fast. He's the one who doesn't seem to be really into the whole idea of escaping and such, so that's why I suspected him.
But Norman, our 4D Chess king already thought of that and prepared a plan for this. I really, really like this guy!
But I also hope he doesn't die...

To me AoT and TPN are on completely different genres, so even if they share some themes (Humans as food, a wall), they are very different. AoT is all about the action, while TPN is so far about the psychological chess game. If anything, its aimed to be the next Death Note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom