• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Promised Neverland (Shonen Jump) |OT| It's gonna eat you up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
About halfway through this after seeing it pop up on the first page yesterday.

This is basically the same exact thing as AoT or any other manga where people are trapped within some wall/dome etc and they don't know what's outside. Except here it's 6-11 year olds, and the 11 year olds are unbelievable geniuses - I don't really care about them at all because they're written terribly ("THIS IS THE SMART ONE! THIS IS THE BRAVE ONE!" and the main character is the typical Japanese hero "I'll save everyone because it's the right thing to do despite everyone's exasperation!!!" stereotype - such unoriginal garbage)

I'm basically just sticking with it to see what the twist(s) are and how this will differentiate itself from a genre that is overstuffed with this same exact premise.

The art is also incredibly hit or miss - you can tell that the artist enjoys the creepy Mama panels but everything else is super inconsistent and sloppy. To compare it once again to AoT, even AoT's sloppy art is better than this, this almost slips into Cartoon Network territory at times.

This thread is a clusterfuck for anyone who isn't caught up btw, spoilers everywhere.

Pacing is fine

The author did fuck up with that whole "book" plot point though lmao. I was like "penguin symbols? hidden messages? What?
vzkq30L.png
"

Yes that was weird and not handled well . Like"oh btw them books have secret messages that we have known about for awhile but never mentioned it also we are not gonna explain how we knew they were secret mesages or how we figured them out."
Imo they should have gone to the library to read on something..like the transmitters for example, then notice that all the books that have good hints have this weird owl insignia." Oh shit! These look secret messages"
Maybe that what happened and they will show it in the bext chapter.

Wow, something about a room
filled with dead children's toys
is really fucked up.

I also like the william minerva subplot, adds more layers of mistery to the whole thing.

Oh shit Promise- ---------, that's the title ahhhh. Can't blame those two, they were thinking hey what's the worst that could happen, we get shipped off to some bad guys big deal. Love this manga.

Wanderer5

This week's chapter is up. Well things are getting more and more complicated.:p

Wonder what Krone is cooking up to be making a team up with them and damnnit her creepy ass smile.

Based on the comment from Neverland's editor, it looks like the Escape arc is going to end by volume 3 (which is pretty near now). After the Escape arc, Neverland will become an adventure series.

For those curious

I wonder how it will handle that transition.

Logistic of surviving in the wild, creating shelter, feeding potential dozens of kids, avoiding the demons hunting them, attempting to discover if humanity has a safe place to live in this world,
awakening to shonen powers to fight the demons
you know stuff like that

B.K.

I've been reading if off and on this week. I'm up to chapter 10 or 11.
Ray just revealed he was the spy.
The thing I can't get over with the series is how stupid Emma is. She's supposed to be a genius and gets perfect test scores every day, but I'm surprised she managed to make it to 12 years old.

I've been reading if off and on this week. I'm up to chapter 10 or 11.
Ray just revealed he was the spy.
The thing I can't get over with the series is how stupid Emma is. She's supposed to be a genius and gets perfect test scores every day, but I'm surprised she managed to make it to 12 years old.

Book smart not street smart

A.J.

Banned
Logistic of surviving in the wild, creating shelter, feeding potential dozens of kids, avoiding the demons hunting them, attempting to discover if humanity has a safe place to live in this world,
awakening to shonen powers to fight the demons
you know stuff like that

The possibility of it getting a battle element is what concerns me. Mostly because the series hasn't set a precedent for what to expect on that front.

This chapter reminds us that Emma is the main characters even if she hasn't been given that opportunity to shine all that much, her intense faces are top tier.

Norman as always the exceptional mastermind.
We are about to get a meaty chapter and we'll be able to get a better grip of the state of the world or other details, can't wait.

Anyone knows if the first volume sold good numbers?

Mendrox

This chapter was good too. I really like this series.

I think that the twist will be that the guy from the book and Mama are a team. She's grooming Emma and Co so that they can do help humanity or anything like that when they escape? Wouldn't make sense for Mama at the moment hmm. I like the logic in this series and feels like Jump really needed a series like this again.

Norman as always the exceptional mastermind.
We are about to get a meaty chapter and we'll be able to get a better grip of the state of the world or other details, can't wait.

Anyone knows if the first volume sold good numbers?

Was told manga was flying from the shelves and first week sales were like 24.000? Which is afaik pretty good for a new series.

Edit: Over 50.000 copies sold seven days after release. So yes, Promised Neverland will stay :)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So i made a post in mangagaf, but also wanted to drop by here. I think the weakest bit about PN is easily its art. The framing is just kind of boring, and I think if they went for some more abstract imagery (a lot like Magi) then the manga would be a hell of a lot better, and people wouldn't mind the slow pace nearly as much. Here's an album of weird Magi art and its not like PN doesn't have abstract art. The cover images are usually gorgeous for this. I think bringing them into the narrative would help the manga out immensely.

*some fo the art bellow for those that don't like links

Linkura

I dunno, the art for the creepy shit like the demons and the deaths of the children is pretty good, as morbid as that sounds. I think they're keeping it simple for the orphanage stuff so the other stuff is more shocking and grotesque.

This chapter was good too. I really like this series.

I think that the twist will be that the guy from the book and Mama are a team. She's grooming Emma and Co so that they can do help humanity or anything like that when they escape? Wouldn't make sense for Mama at the moment hmm. I like the logic in this series and feels like Jump really needed a series like this again.

Was told manga was flying from the shelves and first week sales were like 24.000? Which is afaik pretty good for a new series.

Edit: Over 50.000 copies sold seven days after release. So yes, Promised Neverland will stay :)

Thanks for the info, really happy about it's success!

Great chapter. I'm really curious about Krone mentioning a human at par with some of the creatures. Wonder if we'll see "good" demons too, and "bad" people. That aspect could be very interesting to play with in the narrative.

The Omake was very cute, Norman and Emma OTP.

Chase17

Just caught up with the series. Really enjoying it. The Ray being the spy twist was great. Really like the characters too. I wonder what will come of Norman pointing out how Ray wantes (needs?) to keep emma and him alive.

The art can be creepy!

Looking forward to seeing how this continues to play out.

daveo42

Banned
I'm more curious about the info Ray leaked to Krone than anything else. Crazy she's already got orders to leave. Probably means that the shipping date has either moved back up or was never moved in the first place. The fakeout also got me.

Burbeting

Banned
I'm thinking either the letter is a fake forged by Isabella, or the letter provokes Krone into some sort of irrational action that will change things up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh man that was crazy. I too wonder what Ray wrote down in the note. We also now know this "Grandma" exists.

I expect during the escape we are going to see some freaky drawings of Isabella.

I know there has been some misgivings about the fact that everyone is a genius, but that's literally the point with how the story is setup.

Emma, Norman, and Ray are all legit geniuses.
Don and Gilda have high intelligence
The kid who noticed the morse code in the books also has high intelligence, possibly approaching genius.

but for Isabella and Sister Krone to have made it to adulthood they also need to have been geniuses or near genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom