• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Promised Neverland (Shonen Jump) |OT| It's gonna eat you up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what is Ray playing to, but right now this series is the most awaited for me every week.
Now let's see next chapter for Ray's point of view. As Norman said, now it's the worst case scenario.

So Ray got control of the whole situation and basically saved them from ignorance.

Why? and why hide it too?

This keeps getting better and better.

starsky

I think Ray actually wants the children to succeed, but he's not idealistic like Emma. He will try to maximise his survival potential in every way he can but he actually likes his friends.

Ray probably believes he's smooth enough to play both sides to his advantages. I think in his head, the best scenario is for all the children to escape together successfully, but barring that, he would score a great favour from Mama even if they fail because he works for her.

Fou-Lu

There's also the fact that Mama is prepping all three of them to be eaten. So she might tell Ray that she'll save him, but he knows otherwise.

Guy is a genius, but there's no way Mama is done tbh. She probably still has the situation under control.

Wonder what Norman will do, this actually sets a great conflict for the characters.

SalvaPot

Its funny how Emma doesn't feel like the protagonist so far, but there is no way in hell she doesn't catch up to Ray's intentions of leaving the others behind.

It really depends on if Norman shares the info with Emma about Ray been the spy all along.

upandaway

Its funny how Emma doesn't feel like the protagonist so far, but there is no way in hell she doesn't catch up to Ray's intentions of leaving the others behind.

It really depends on if Norman shares the info with Emma about Ray been the spy all along.
I doubt he'll do that because Ray will easily find out and then hightail it. Fooling Ema about Ray is the bare minimum for Ray to stay in and Norman can do it regardless of how he chooses to do the escape

starsky

Norman will manage to make Ray join their cause fully and save all the children, I bet. I don't know how he will do it, but I think he will.

I'm excited to find out how Mama is going to react to all this. I assume she was a perfect scorer like them when she was still a livestock so she must be as clever (!!!), and the manga even shows that they couldn't beat her in chess even when they grouped up together (though Ray might not try his best).

Such a good manga, it's rare these days that I'm eagerly looking for new chapter release.

mdubs

Banned
Holy moly that is a good way to twist this story. Still don't fully trust Ray, he's a real wild card and will definitely turn on them if they mess with him. Ball is in Norman's court now

Great chapter. I wonder though, if ray managed to destroy some transmitters, wouldn't mama know about that already? and that's really really risky if you're in charge of the children. You know, nurturing and protecting one who knows how to deactivate your only way to localize them.

SalvaPot

Great chapter. I wonder though, if ray managed to destroy some transmitters, wouldn't mama know about that already? and that's really really risky if you're in charge of the children. You know, nurturing and protecting one who knows how to deactivate your only way to localize them.

I think Emma was pissed because he came to the same conclusion. If Ray managed to destroy the transmitters, but was not caught, that means that he did it in such a way that the kid was blamed for it and got shipped off earlier than he should have been. Emma was mad because Ray sacrificed someone for their sake.

"Don't do that again"

Ascheroth

I so love the monster designs in this. That thing in Normans nightmare was something straight out of Berserk.
I'm pretty sure it's the fact that the setting is usually very 'normal', so those scenes are more unexpected and have a bigger contrast with the rest of the manga, which gives than more impact.

Author doesn't want to make any ass pulls later on and is so developing every expect that will likely get focused on in the future when running away

Opto

Banned
I'm loving this but I'm worried about when they actually achieve escape (I don't think this first attempt will succeed).

Kettch

I think Emma was pissed because he came to the same conclusion. If Ray managed to destroy the transmitters, but was not caught, that means that he did it in such a way that the kid was blamed for it and got shipped off earlier than he should have been. Emma was mad because Ray sacrificed someone for their sake.

"Don't do that again"

I was kinda surprised that Emma wasn't more idealistic here. Ray kept them in the dark for 6 years of their fellow kids getting shipped off to die. Even using Connie's death to bring them in on it. I expected her to be more upset about not being able to save them earlier.

Makes me feel like she already knows that Ray has no intention of saving anyone else.

The build-up for the escape is taking WAY too long. A lot of this could be trimmed or condensed.

They don't necessarily need to do that. It's just not much has been happening period.

This isn't even remotely true.

This manga is entirely psychological, has presented itself as such since day one and works based upon the slow build to the plan and intricate mind games (for a shonen) that are being played. A ton of stuff happens every chapter but it's all information based or builds upon what they know/plan/counter-plan. Yes, the pace is slow, but it's not an action manga no matter how much people want them to start fighting demons in a post-apocalyptic world.

The manga IS the planning. It IS the slow, psychological mind-games.

They don't necessarily need to do that. It's just not much has been happening period.

Ray revealed as the traitor
Ray dropping the lie to Emma bomb on Norman
Ray reveals himself to Emma and she has her intense as fuck moment and the secret room is introduced
Don and Guilda make plans to enter secret room, main 3 discover hints of outside

Thats the last 4 chapters, each has been major in shaping how the escape is going to play out. The last thing this series needs is to go faster its already at a much faster pace then its weekly shonen brethren.

Linkura

I guess you guys are right. I guess I just wish more chapters would come out faster. A few pages every week is too slow. :(

Not sure if he's just impatient or he is severely underestimating Mama. Probably both with a hint of stupid.
Don doesn't know the full consequences. Him and Gilda think kids are just disappearing, not dying.

I guess you guys are right. I guess I just wish more chapters would come out faster. A few pages every week is too slow. :(

I was going to say I think this is more a case of us wanting more every week cause of cliff hangers ala deathnote. The pacing is only "bad" cause you mad thirsty for more every week.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I'm trying to remember the manga but people were complaining about the pacing for the longest time because it was a monthly but then when you read it all together it flowed incredibly well.

I think this is something similar. You reach the 18th page or whatever and it's like "FUCK YOU WHY AREN'T YOU NEXT WEEK"

Linkura

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I'm trying to remember the manga but people were complaining about the pacing for the longest time because it was a monthly but then when you read it all together it flowed incredibly well.

I think this is something similar. You reach the 18th page or whatever and it's like "FUCK YOU WHY AREN'T YOU NEXT WEEK"

Yeah I'd definitely feel differently if I read it via tankobon like most manga I read.

SalvaPot

Not sure if he's just impatient or he is severely underestimating Mama. Probably both with a hint of stupid.

Don is under the impression he thinks his little brothers and sisters that got shipped off can still be saved if they are quick enough, he has not realized the real stakes yet. Of course he would act rash.

upandaway

Ray revealed as the traitor
Ray dropping the lie to Emma bomb on Norman
Ray reveals himself to Emma and she has her intense as fuck moment and the secret room is introduced
Don and Guilda make plans to enter secret room, main 3 discover hints of outside

Thats the last 4 chapters, each has been major in shaping how the escape is going to play out. The last thing this series needs is to go faster its already at a much faster pace then its weekly shonen brethren.
I think so too, the pacing is great. For people who just want them to escape already I'd say don't get your hopes up, it's pretty clear the manga is building up to it because of how complicated it is.

Raxus

I think so too, the pacing is great. For people who just want them to escape already I'd say don't get your hopes up, it's pretty clear the manga is building up to it because of how complicated it is.

I'd also note that a few chapters ago we were a month away from the escape and now we are 8 days away from escape. It is pretty clear we have to reach the deadline soon, maybe even by the end of the year.

Don is under the impression he thinks his little brothers and sisters that got shipped off can still be saved if they are quick enough, he has not realized the real stakes yet. Of course he would act rash.

Exactly, not telling Don and Gilda the truth is coming back to bite them in the ass sooner than expected.

mdubs

Banned
Chiming in to add the pacing is great. Things are happening each chapter, but we aren't getting rushed along either at the expense of fleshing out the world or intelligently dealing with potential issues. I love it so far

SalvaPot

I just realized this manga reminds me more of Bakuman than of Death Note.

This chapter was 100% discussion of how to proceed. And secondary characters fucking up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm fine with the escape taking awhile due to planning.

But I did have way more fun reading this when I had a bunch of chapters available. The little slice I get now a week isn't enough. I might end up waiting and marathoning a bunch of chapters after a certain amount of time.

Pacing is fine

The author did fuck up with that whole "book" plot point though lmao. I was like "penguin symbols? hidden messages? What?
vzkq30L.png
"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom