• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS TV can now run every single app/game without restriction (via simple hack)

Is this a region specific hack?
People seem to be having issues regarding the second step, in which the Email app would reset to default settings. I can't seem to get it working, and all file attachments I've sent via email client are marked with a ?, rather than the image icon.
Have used both naming conventions "x" and "#0" for the whitelist file, and I'm on the latest firmware.
Any ideas?

EDIT: Have also tried adding the period after the subject title. No luck.

Guymelef

Just to be certain. If I were to earn trophies from a game on pstv, I have to sync this from the PSTV, right? It is not possible to put the mem-card in my normal Vita and sync them from there as far as I'm aware.

Really don't like the idea of hanging my pstv on the internet after whitelisting my games, and it would render it next to useless for me when it gets patched (and we know it will). And yes I care about that arbitrary point system.

I want to know.

My idea is using a different Memory Card for "incompatible" games as well.

Kolma

SmGyrdI.jpg

Hulu Plus also working!

NewDust

Got the same problem only my digital downloaded games give (C2-15413-4) error. but my cardridge games still work. Anybody got an idea how to undo that.
Removing the memorycard and factory resseting the pstv should do the trick, I think.

Yeah I don't get what I'm doing wrong, tried everything multiple ways still either get an error message or "please update this" when I try to play anything :|

Audioboxer

well I power cycled the PSTV (then it was just giving the generic this game can't be played on a PSTV error) and did everything via Gmail

same problem :-/ gonna try downloading the whitelist file again

edit: this worked! just had to redownload the file :) just booted up Gravity Rush with no error :D

For a short while today the initial upload was corrupt if anyone snagged it early on and are only getting around to doing it now.

Aeana

My Macbook was adding a hidden .dat to the #0 file no matter what I did, so I renamed it via the terminal. If the icon for your #0 is a video file icon in Finder then it doesn't have the right name. Should be a blank white icon.

NewDust

Is this a region specific hack?
People seem to be having issues regarding the second step, in which the Email app would reset to default settings. I can't seem to get it working, and all file attachments I've sent via email client are marked with a ?, rather than the image icon.
Have used both naming conventions "x" and "#0" for the whitelist file, and I'm on the latest firmware.
Any ideas?

EDIT: Have also tried adding the period after the subject title. No luck.

Have you opened the .eml file with thunderbird and send it to your own mail account? That is the first ste, to make the vita susceptible to the exploit. What you describe is the second step, a function of the exploit, the whitelisting of games.

Audioboxer

This is amazing!

Are there any negatives to doing this???

and does this mean that Netflix works too?

If you want to stay online it has a finite lifespan until Sony patch it. Very unlikely bans will be handed out for manipulating the whitelist. As the hack progresses user beware, as trophy manipulation seems to be coming. Sony may ban for that as it's cheating PSN.

Long-term if you keep the device offline the only thing you'll miss out on are trophies. They aren't stored on the memory card so you need to sync online from your PSTV. Swapping the memory card into a Vita will not carry over trophies. Obviously new games requiring newer firmware as well, but usually spoofs come about to trick games to load on older FW.

Have you opened the .eml file with thunderbird and send it to your own mail account? That is the first ste, to make the vita susceptible to the exploit. What you describe is the second step, a function of the exploit, the whitelisting of games.

I've done the first step, was able to get a picture icon, but the e-mail app's settings did not reset. Does the first step only work with Thunderbird? I used Outlook 2013 to open the eml file.

gmail blocked my Vita TV from accessing my account which is bullshit. I can't figure out how to fix it, either. Super annoying. Tried it on multiple accounts.

B_Signal

I've done the first step, was able to get a picture icon, but the e-mail app's settings did not reset. Does the first step only work with Thunderbird? I used Outlook 2013 to open the eml file.

I'm having the same problem and I'm using Thunderbird

I'm also using a gmail account on the vita tv

Kolma

It's a little weird that Tearaway works... but Little Big Planet doesnt :(

nvm on Tearaway... gets error C2-12828-1 on loading screen

NewDust

If you want to stay online it has a finite lifespan until Sony patch it. Very unlikely bans will be handed out for manipulating the whitelist. As the hack progresses user beware, as trophy manipulation seems to be coming. Sony may ban for that as it's cheating PSN.

Long-term if you keep the device offline the only thing you'll miss out on are trophies. They aren't store on the memory card so you need to sync online from your PSTV. Obviously new games requiring newer firmware as well, but usually spoofs come about to trick games to load on older FW.

Yeah, Sony isn't going to verify the OS integrity of your PSTV and it woldn't make sense for there to be an upload function for the whitelist db file. Only thing that could be possible is when there is a "earned on device x" flag in the trophy data, but there isn't as far as I am aware.

Audioboxer

gmail blocked my Vita TV from accessing my account which is bullshit. I can't figure out how to fix it, either. Super annoying. Tried it on multiple accounts.

Didn't work for me with 2 step authentication turned on. You might need to turn that off.

Yeah, Sony isn't going to verify the OS integrity of your PSTV and it woldn't make sense for there to be an upload function for the whitelist db file. Only thing that could be possible is when there is a "earned on device x" flag in the trophy data, but there isn't as far as I am aware.

The trophies get timestamped. You can probably spoof realistic times though. Unsure. I just always say it's a bigger risk when you're doing something that is manipulating PSN - As Sony T&C let them ban outright for that (the actual account, not just hardware).

m0t0k1

Removing the memorycard and factory resseting the pstv should do the trick, I think.

Many thanks it did it work. But now i am so scared i don't know if i want to attempt this again. I still have Super Monkey Ball from my vita that i sold left. Maybe when i get some more confidence i'll try it out again

NewDust

Only thing I know is that the combination of TB and gmail seems to be working. Yahoo seems to be giving issues. Haven't heard from succeses no errors with outlook.

NewDust

The trophies get timestamped. You can probably spoof realistic times though. Unsure. I just always say it's a bigger risk when you're doing something that is manipulating PSN - As Sony T&C let them ban outright for that (the actual account, not just hardware).

Well wasn't talking about trophyhacking (though I might have been a bit naughty back in the day), but more like: this trophy is earned on system id x. Sony would be able to check system id's against hardware version and say "this trophy is earned on a pstv, but this game isn't eligible to be played on it, therefor you have "hacked" and will receive a ban"

It's a leap, and again I'm almost certain that said data is not part of the trophy information. But better to be save.

vongruetz

Banned
Not working for me on cartridge :(

I'm also playing LBP off the cartridge. Someone else said their version of Shinobido 2 on cart wasn't working either, but it plays just fine for me on my cart. The nice thing is that F1 2011, a game that is supposed to work, doesn't work for me. So this just sets some things right.

Do you have two step authentication turned on? If so, you need to go and generate an app password.

Didn't work for me with 2 step authentication turned on. You might need to turn that off.

See above, you need to generate an app password. Go here:

https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords

When you generate it, use that as your password instead of your normal password.

Using Gmail did the trick for me, you can do Yahoo mail for the first half but the second half has to be gmail.

I used thunderbird FWIW

Alfredo

I just played Mortal Kombat 9 on my PSTV, which didn't used to work... It's ugly as hell, but it's cool that I can do it, lol.

That's just what I did, here's the file that was attached next to the original

on the off chance it might be related, I should state I'm using a Japanese playstation tv model linked to a Japanese account.

im having this issue too, renaming the file to #0 is making it not longer be a DAT file and when i send it to my vita email (via gmail b/c thunderbird isn't letting me add attachments for some reason) and go to open the image and back out im just getting that done screen which was posted before.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah... not gonna get my account banned for this. Neat exploit though.

The thing is seeing how Sony themselves does not separate the Vita TV from the Vita I have doubts as to if they would even know which it is being played on.
*Both the Vita and Vita TV count as Vita's towards an accounts activated Vita units. Which I think is 2 max.

Top Bottom