• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS TV can now run every single app/game without restriction (via simple hack)

Aeana

Great, now the English version of Ys Celceta can be played on a vitaTV since it's never going to get the patch the Japanese version got.

Listonosh

1. Open that .eml file in any email client and forward the resulting message to yourself.

2. Open the email in your PSTV email app, and click on the attachment. The app will crash, but don't hit OK. Hit the PS button and close the email app entirely.

3. Open email app again, it will ask to setup your account. Thus is when you know it worked. Set it up.

4. Rename the whitelist file to #0, with no extension in the file name. Create an email to yourself again, and attach that #0 file, and simply use this as the subject line: ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat

5. Open the email on the PSTV, and click the #0 attachment. Now try a game that gave you a cannot play error message and you'll see that the hack worked.

Wait what?! Is that first eml step necessary? I can't just send myself an email with that dat file? Christ this thing is more convoluted than I thought

Just bought a used vita TV, will arrive in a few days so I hope I can get this hack running when I do. Is there a reason to update it once I do?

How would you get vita games onto the memory card if there isn't any online?

MCD

For the second part you do want to write a new email in Thunderbird. Set it up like below

Ya5CQoQ.png

Voila! Not got time to write all the steps for now, use both images and cross reference with the current guide.

1. Open that .eml file in any email client and forward the resulting message to yourself.

2. Open the email in your PSTV email app, and click on the attachment. The app will crash, but don't hit OK. Hit the PS button and close the email app entirely.

3. Open email app again, it will ask to setup your account. Thus is when you know it worked. Set it up.

4. Rename the whitelist file to #0, with no extension in the file name. Create an email to yourself again, and attach that #0 file, and simply use this as the subject line: ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat

5. Open the email on the PSTV, and click the #0 attachment. Now try a game that gave you a cannot play error message and you'll see that the hack worked.

You too are saints.

But Ys is giving me this error:

(C2-15413-4)

Is Ys really supported?

Audioboxer

Wait what?! Is that first eml step necessary? I can't just send myself an email with that dat file? Christ this thing is more convoluted than I thought

No, it doesn't work as an attachment. You need to have an email app that can open a .eml file and forward the contents it opens. It's not really hard. Thunderbird is known to work, but others might as well.

dab0ne

Thunderbird is falling to send the email... Any suggestions? It asked me to setup a server to which I put in something random. I don't know Shit lol. Help

Edit: Ok I'm getting there...

You too are saints.

(C2-15413-4)

Is Ys really supported?

If it's anything like it was for me every game gave that error. I fixed it by switching to use gmail instead of yahoo mail to send the emails to. Weirdly yahoo just broke everything.

Worked perfectly with Gmail though so try that if you aren't

Audioboxer

You too are saints.

(C2-15413-4)

Is Ys really supported?

Ys works for me, you must have gone wrong somewhere. Did both emails you sent have camera icon attachments? If so, did you close the email app when the error screen comes up?

edit: Or the post above mine. Yahoo doesn't work.

Audioboxer

Thank you Rich for your quick guide, I was stupid enough to think you had to send the .eml file directly x)

Don't worry I done that the first time as well :p You know it has worked if after you close the email app when the error comes up and open it again, if it asks you to setup email from scratch.

Vlaphor

Alright, I'm trying this now, but it's not working. I'm on 3.52, will that be an issue. Also, do I need to send the email through a client, or can I just use gmail?

autoduelist

What is the reason some games don't run on PS TV officially? I've heard many ideas and theories, but what's the bottom-line?

Some likely don't play well without touch controls. Others probably require the developer to fill out some paperwork as depending on contract Sony may not have the right to simply put games on new platforms without permission – that would depend strictly on the contract per game.

Sony likely also has minor policies in place that require certain baseline abilities – such as a start screen that does not require touch.

Seriously. Blame Sony. From all the developers and publishers I've spoken to about why not letting their Vita games run on PlayStation TV I was always told it was Sony's call.

While Sony would have the final say I find it doubtful that will be the issue most cases. Where are these quotes that you speak of?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is actually starting to stress me out a little, because I want to keep this going and I guess the only way will be to never connect the PSTV again. But the 32gb card isn't big enough to download everything I want to have once the pipe gets closed. So guess I'm about to decide what gets left behind, that sucks.

I was thinking about gett a PS TV before, this might help me make my decisions but I have question, hopefully someone can answer.

Most of my Vita games are downloaded, if I take the memory card out of my Vita and put it into the PS TV can I still play those games? Or does it only work with games that come on a cartridge?

vongruetz

Banned
This is great. The whitelist was a horrible idea in the first place, or at least not providing a way for people in the know to bypass it. I understand that someone who doesn't know what they're doing would get frustrated playing a non-compatible game, but to people like us who will put up with those frustrations, there needs to be a work around. Hopefully this stays.

And no, it's not about piracy at all. It's about allowing people to play the games they already own. In some cases it's to all us to play the games we already own and that Sony said would work but for one reason or another they don't.

Rich!

I was thinking about gett a PS TV before, this might help me make my decisions but I have question, hopefully someone can answer.

Most of my Vita games are downloaded, if I take the memory card out of my Vita and put it into the PS TV can I still play those games? Or does it only work with games that come on a cartridge?

I use the same card on both. As long as you have signed onto PSN at some point in the past on it you can swap them and play the titles on both.

Yes, that should work. I think if I install this I'd use my Vita to download any new games just to be safe. But on the other hand, playing online with Ethernet is really nice...

Rush_Khan

Just to be clear, it's not possible for Sony to ban us for the whitelist exploit? I'm starting to worry now. I just wanted to play games that weren't whitelisted.

Kouriozan

Don't worry I done that the first time as well :p You know it has worked if after you close the email app when the error comes up and open it again, if it asks you to setup email from scratch.
Yeah it worked, now I have to switch to gmail since I also get the error mentionned earlier.

I just want to play my Ridge Racer disc which has never been released on PSN despite being the game they used to show it off in the first place.

dab0ne

It's still saving the .eml extension...how do I Save it without?

Vlaphor

No matter what I do, I'm only getting the question mark and not the picture. Anyone have any ideas. I'd like to get this done before sony patches it out. I have gmail set up on my vita tv and I've sent the attachment through a variety of different ways and file names. All show up as ?

Also, what .eml file? I'm only seeing the .dat extension.

Hikami

There we go. Got Gravity Rush and Netflix working. The problem was Yahoo, switching to Gmail fixed that.

Krakn3Dfx

Got it working, thanks op. As someone else mentioned, sending the list_launch_vita.dat to a Yahoo account on your PSTV seems to break it, sent it to my Gmail account and it worked fine.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I see on the hackinformer site they now have the instructions and files for a VHBL hack. Could someone help me with the url stuff though? I just don't know how to turn this into a link in an email:

email:send?attach=ur0:shell/db/app.db.

Top Bottom