• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS TV can now run every single app/game without restriction (via simple hack)

welp, time to track down a used copy of Ys Celceta real quick

being able to play wipeout is nice now, but I'm going to assume that if i leave the PSTV offline long enough my PS+ games will stop working, right?

If you even unplug the PSTV or lose power at all, you won't be able to launch any subscription-based games until you connect to PSN again. It really sucks, I tried taking it on a trip once.

Well its not happening for me. I can send and open both files but it's not working so I must be doing something wrong. I'll keep an eye on the thread but if someone could make a video tutorial it would be much appreciated by many.

Here's what I did.

1) Download writer.eml

2) Open the file up in Thunderbird. In Windows, I just double clicked on the file and selected Thunderbird to open it

3) Once it's open, forward what opened to yourself.

4) On the PlayStation TV, launch the e-mail app

5) Go to the e-mail, open the e-mail, and click on the attachment.

6) Do not hit okay on the screen that pops up. Hit the PS button and then close the e-mail app

7) Relaunch the e-mail app. It should tell you to add an account as if you're using it for the first time. That will tell you if you did it right.

8) Download the white list file and rename it to #0 with no extension

9) Compose an e-mail with the subject

ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat

10) Attach the renamed file #0 to the e-mail and send

11) Open the e-mail on the PSTV and click on the attachment

12) Do not hit okay, and hit the PS button and close the e-mail app

13) Launch any game that didn't work before and it should work.

dracula_x

Damn rights, it's mind boggling that Sony never activated certain games on PSTV or patched them to work on it. Uncharted, Wipeout...these games could have easily been played on a controller. This is a great find, thanks OP.
Yes, especially WipEout. As I remember, touch controls have been used in the menu only.

vongruetz

Banned
Here's what worked for me:

1. Installed Thunderbird and got it set up.
2. Downloaded the writer.eml file to my computer. Double-click it and it opens in Thunderbird. I then forwarded it to my gmail account
3. On the PSTV email app, open the email and click on the attachment. When it gives you an error, close the email app (don't click OK on the error message)
4. Open the email app again on your PSTV. If the previous step worked, your email account should have been wiped out. So set it up again.
5. Download the list_launch_vita.dat file. Rename it to #0 (I tried at first to rename it x but that didn't work)
6. Send an email to yourself with subject ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat and attach the file you named #0
7. Through the email on the PSTV, click on the attachment. It should show up as a camera image (if it doesn't, something went wrong). Again, when you get the error message, close the email app.
8. Pop in a game that shouldn't work to see if it does. No reboot or anything required.

webkatt

Basically this is a 2 step process.

The EML is a shortcut of sorts for desktop mail apps. Its payload allows you to write directly to the memory card.

EML
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms6kx2b3xjx8l1g/writer.eml?dl=0

You download this file and open it with a desktop client and send/forward a email to yourself (Most use Thunderbird as it's free)

Once this is done and you have access to this email on your PSTV, you simply click on the attachment/camera icon. You will get a message saying image cannot be opened. This is suppose to happen. Do NOT click OK.

Hit the PS button on your controller to get back to the main menu.

Now close out the email app and relaunch it. If the first step was successful you will be asked to enter your email credentials anew.

Go ahead and do so.

Now download the whitelist
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6gef9cx07n7kx6/list_launch_vita.dat?dl=0

You need to rename this to #0 with no file extension.

Draft another email to yourself and attach the #0 file.

Be sure to have the subject line read: ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat

On the PSTV open the email and click the attachment.

You will get the same error of image cannot be opened.

Again press the PS Button to get back to the main menu.

NOW

Try a formally unrunnable game.

Protip: Use a Dual Shock 4 to emulate the Vitas front/back touchpads. Once in-game long press the PS Home button and enable TOUCH POINT CONTROL

Enjoy!

Also if you run into issues with gmail not letting you log into your account because it is a less secure app, you have to change your email settings here to allow it to do so.

https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

TheJerit

I, like some others, had to use Thunderbird to send the .eml file correctly, It wouldn't work on the PSTV side of things with Outlook2013 (not sure why). I also used Gmail for the Vita email app. That part appears to have completed successfully as I got the prompt to re-enter my email info once I restarted the app.

Here's the weird part; I tried sending the renamed #0 (and tried with x) file via Thunderbird and Outlook, but I don't think its fully working. I do get the camera icon, but whenever the error message comes up, it doesn't show the camera icon in the bottom right hand corner. Instead it still shows the Download icon (down arrow on top of an underline). I was able to search for Netflix and even though it gave me the prompt that it was compatible, it still downloaded and it works!. However, I also downloaded a smaller game like Metrico (via the Download List inside the store app) and whenever I start it, it gives me the error that it's not compatible with PSTV...

So it seems like its half-way working for me??? Should I be seeing a different store or anything else once this is properly activated on the device? Does everyone else get the camera icon whenever they complete the 2nd step? Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on? Should I just reformat my PSTV, reinstall the latest firmware and try again? I'd rather not if possible.

Edit: I don't currently have my 16gb memory card in, just utilizing the embedded 1gb. Could that be the problem?

Edit2: Now after rebooting Netflix isn't working now either. I tried to re-click the attachment, but nothing happens; the attachment just keeps flashing to indicate that it's currently selected but that's it. May need to reformat....

Is there any issue with doing this AND using PSN for the time being?

I realize that in order to access PSN you need to have the latest firmware, and therefore if this is patched out in the future they could patch it out with said firmware.

But if I do this and access PSN until the next system firmware update should I have issue?

Yes, especially WipEout. As I remember, touch controls have been used in the menu only.

Wipeout made sense up until I learned you could simulate the touch screen, which I didn't know for awhile simply because they didn't allow something like Wipeout to work. Then it was mind boggling why they didn't open it up once I found that out.

Aeana

Is there any issue with doing this AND using PSN for the time being?

I realize that in order to access PSN you need to have the latest firmware, and therefore if this is patched out in the future they could patch it out with said firmware.

But if I do this and access PSN until the next system firmware update should I have issue?

It should be fine.

The End

If you even unplug the PSTV or lose power at all, you won't be able to launch any subscription-based games until you connect to PSN again. It really sucks, I tried taking it on a trip once.

Yep, this happened to me exactly, luckily I had a few purchased games on their to keep me company in rural north carolina.

That being said, even with power, don't the PS+ games need to "check in" eventually online?

Yep, this happened to me exactly, luckily I had a few purchased games on their to keep me company in rural north carolina.

That being said, even with power, don't the PS+ games need to "check in" eventually online?

I don't think so, it knows the subscription end date and the games should be valid unless the internal clock is reset (which is the real problem with losing power). Vita runs on battery so unless you let it completely drain out it shouldn't have this problem.

Here's what I did.

1) Download writer.eml

2) Open the file up in Thunderbird. In Windows, I just double clicked on the file and selected Thunderbird to open it

3) Once it's open, forward what opened to yourself.

4) On the PlayStation TV, launch the e-mail app

5) Go to the e-mail, open the e-mail, and click on the attachment.

6) Do not hit okay on the screen that pops up. Hit the PS button and then close the e-mail app

7) Relaunch the e-mail app. It should tell you to add an account as if you're using it for the first time. That will tell you if you did it right.

8) Download the white list file and rename it to #0 with no extension

9) Compose an e-mail with the subject

ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat

10) Attach the renamed file #0 to the e-mail and send

11) Open the e-mail on the PSTV and click on the attachment

12) Do not hit okay, and hit the PS button and close the e-mail app

13) Launch any game that didn't work before and it should work.
Thanks, renaming it to #0 instead of x is what got it working.

MCD

If it's anything like it was for me every game gave that error. I fixed it by switching to use gmail instead of yahoo mail to send the emails to. Weirdly yahoo just broke everything.

Worked perfectly with Gmail though so try that if you aren't

Ys works for me, you must have gone wrong somewhere. Did both emails you sent have camera icon attachments? If so, did you close the email app when the error screen comes up?

edit: Or the post above mine. Yahoo doesn't work.

YES YES YES!

Neither Yahoo nor Outlook worked for me so I set up a dummy account on gmail and enabled pop and imap then did the whole files sending thing and Ys is working!

that'll be available later today.

So will this enable PSP and PS1 games not available on the Vita Store on the Vita itself as well as the Vita TV? I'm not interested in the Vita TV, but I'd love to be able to play, say, Crash Bandicoot on my Vita. (And if I could play my Japanese PSP and PS1 games without having to go through the whole rigmarole of reformatting, even better.)

HUELEN10

This is ridiculous, the memory card ended costing me more than the damned system.

At least now I can say...

I AM AN 8TH GEN IDORT!

(In other words, I own every current gen system)

Feels great, can't wait to get home!

Thank you so much for your thread Rich!

dab0ne

Ok...maybe my problem is saving it without a file extension. How do I do that? I change the name to #0 but the attachment on the email still says .eml

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well than........TIME to buy a PS TV!

Moofers

I actually use my Vita TV as a remote play device for my PS4. If I do this, I'll only be able to connect to my PS4 as long as I keep the firmware current, yeah? So they could patch this out soon and if I wanna do remote PS4 play I'll have no choice but to update?

DangerLocker

Neo Member
I love you OP. With this I can finally play my copy of Ys Memories of Celceta
gUkgFkf.gif

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else feeling super laggy when they tried out Gravity Rush? I guess it's just the game since Ys was very sharp control-wise.

fedexpeon

Banned
Just wanting to make sure about downloading game from PSN.
We can still use PSN since there is no patch now or do we have to always be offline?
I guess we can download game to the PS3 and transfer over to the Vita though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I actually use my Vita TV as a remote play device for my PS4. If I do this, I'll only be able to connect to my PS4 as long as I keep the firmware current, yeah? So they could patch this out soon and if I wanna do remote PS4 play I'll have no choice but to update?
They will most likely update the firmware to update the email app so your not even given the option to open this type of file so yeah if you want the best of both worlds buy a 2nd PS TV.

nded

This is what has me worried... I am only thinking of buying the Vita TV so my fiance can watch Netflix in the other room, while I play games.

If it gets patched, the device is useless.

Just get a Roku stick if all your fiance wants is Netflix.

Hikami

Ok...maybe my problem is saving it without a file extension. How do I do that? I change the name to #0 but the attachment on the email still says .eml
You're not supposed to attach or rename the .eml file. That's just an email file that you double click/open it and forward it to your PSTV's email. The one you rename and attach is the other file, the whitelist patch.

edit: I knew this would happen, lol. Ys MoC slowly going out of stock on Amazon, glad I got my order in earlier.

Xion_Stellar

Crazy! This works on the Vita too?!?!?
The point of this exploit is for PS TV to be able to run PS Vita games it didn't have access to. Not for normal PS Vita to be able to run PS Vita games it can already do on its own.

So NO.

Az987

all good things
So I sent the eml writer to my gmail through windows live and when I open it on my vita TV its not a camera icon, its a question mark and when I close it it doesn't do anything. I don't have to log back in to my gmail or anything.

Any ideas?

Also do I need a memory card in my PSTV or does all this get written to the memory that's in the PSTV?

Rich!

updated the OP with full instructions.

So I sent the eml writer to my gmail through windows live and when I open it on my vita TV its not a camera icon, its a question mark and when I close it it doesn't do anything. I don't have to log back in to my gmail or anything.

Any ideas?

Also do I need a memory card in my PSTV or does all this get written to the memory that's in the PSTV?

you're doing it wrong - the *.eml is the equivalent of a *.doc for word. you need to open it with an email program.

dab0ne

try another email-account. i used my private one first, which was not working. then i used googlemail which worked flawlessly. for other people it was the other way around.

Thanks for the help!

You're not supposed to attach or rename the .eml file. That's just an email file that you double click/open it and forward it to your PSTV's email. The one you rename and attach is the other file, the whitelist patch.

edit: I knew this would happen, lol. Ys MoC slowly going out of stock on Amazon, glad I got my order in earlier.

smh...I'm an idiot. I knew it was on my end though. Once I actually sent the proper file it worked perfectly. Thank you very much.

Basically this is a 2 step process.

The EML is a shortcut of sorts for desktop mail apps. Its payload allows you to write directly to the memory card.

EML
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms6kx2b3xjx8l1g/writer.eml?dl=0

You download this file and open it with a desktop client and send/forward a email to yourself (Most use Thunderbird as it's free)

Once this is done and you have access to this email on your PSTV, you simply click on the attachment/camera icon. You will get a message saying image cannot be opened. This is suppose to happen. Do NOT click OK.

Hit the PS button on your controller to get back to the main menu.

Now close out the email app and relaunch it. If the first step was successful you will be asked to enter your email credentials anew.

Go ahead and do so.

Now download the whitelist
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6gef9cx07n7kx6/list_launch_vita.dat?dl=0

You need to rename this to #0 with no file extension.

Draft another email to yourself and attach the #0 file.

Be sure to have the subject line read: ur0:game/launch/list_launch_vita.dat

On the PSTV open the email and click the attachment.

You will get the same error of image cannot be opened.

Again press the PS Button to get back to the main menu.

NOW

Try a formally unrunnable game.

Protip: Use a Dual Shock 4 to emulate the Vitas front/back touchpads. Once in-game long press the PS Home button and enable TOUCH POINT CONTROL

Enjoy!

Also if you run into issues with gmail not letting you log into your account because it is a less secure app, you have to change your email settings here to allow it to do so.

https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

OK, I had a lot of troubles because The pstv mail app didn't recognize any kindmof attachments while using outlook 2016, so I decided to follow this steps with Thunderbird and it worked.

Now I'm playing Gravity Rush on my PSTV :3

OK, I had a lot of troubles because The pstv mail app didn't recognize any kindmof attachments while using outlook 2016, so I decided to follow this steps with Thunderbird and it worked.

Now I'm playing Gravity Rush on my PSTV :3
What are the control options? Are you using a controller? Does the gyro work?

Top Bottom