• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The REAL Wii VC sales thread

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
HeadsUpSevenUp said:
Just bought Bonk's Adventure

it sure didn't take 10 mins to download, what's up with yours?

What's the release schedule again?

I dunno. Its still saying that I'm downloading it. Going on around 20 minutes now.

Kuramu

noizbot said:
It's a tile-based platformer/puzzle game where you create and remove blocks in an attempt to complete each level by finding a key to unlock a door.

The reason I've always liked Solomon's Key is because I generally prefer puzzle games where I can create my own solution, and there are a ton of ways to solve the puzzles in this game. You can even rely on simple twitch platforming instead of strategy in some cases, if you feel like it.

Exactly. Also, later on, it's not enough to know the solution; you have to actually pull it off.

Question: Is there a way to use CC info to buy games, or must you purchase Wii points first?

Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong
Bomberman '93
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario Bros. 2
ActRaiser
Super Metroid
Paper Mario

(I own the GameCube discs of Zelda: Collector's Edition and Sonic Mega Collection, or else I would also be buying the games included with them.)

noizbot

beelzebozo said:
do you think a lolo fan would dig it?

I'd hazard a yes. If I remember Lolo correctly Solomon's Key is similar-ish, except viewed from the side with platforms and jumping mechanics and stuff.

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
Just bought Bonk's Adventure

it sure didn't take 10 mins to download, what's up with yours?

What's the release schedule again?
I don't think we know exact titles, but they are supposed to update every monday through December (total of 30 games by end of year), and then 10 games per month thereafter.

GoutPatrol said:
I dunno. Its still saying that I'm downloading it. Going on around 20 minutes now.
If it hasn't done it by then, give up, reset the thing, and try again. If it's already accepted your payment it will let you download freely.

Rlan

Question for those who bought Bonk - did you intend to download it before it went online a few days after launch? Was it on your list of games to try?

It's definitely on my list when it gets released in Australia, but I'm wondering if it might be the beginning of Game download whores, much like Xbox Live! has, where some people will download every new Arcade title when released.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
JoshuaJSlone said:
If it hasn't done it by then, give up, reset the thing, and try again. If it's already accepted your payment it will let you download freely.

Well, I after about a half an hour I reset and the game was in the main menu. So...eh? :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Amir0x said:
so is it gonna be updated tomorrow?
And once it is it would be nice if the update included the total points/money spent so far on each title and in total. :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nintendo should really have the Wii automatically send you a message when there are new games available. Better yet would be a release schedule but that might make people spend less since they'd probably skip some of the so-so games while they wait for the better ones that are almost out.

fresquito said:
Nintendo updated on tuesday because there were some problems with the TG16 games (afaik)

Yeah, but they were all 'VC updates every monday!' and stuff.

Your avatar reminds me of Gollum.

fresquito

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, but they were all 'VC updates every monday!' and stuff.

Your avatar reminds me of Gollum.
Hehehe, no, it's the cover of the upcoming pain of Salvation album (Scarsick).

Christopher said:
why is this bonks adventure so popular? Anyone wanna explain it to me?

I got Super Mario 64, and Donkey Kong.
Bonk was the mascot of the TG16, which was the third 16bit console. It had a dark fate, but some awesome games as well. Since most people here didn't own one, playing those games they lhad heard of at the time but never got to play is a no brainer.

BTW, how you'd buy DK and not Solomon's Key, Zelda or anything else except for Pinball is a question to wonder about.

fatius

Bonk's Adventure

I never really played this when it came out, I saw it once at a birthday party when I was a kid. This game is great though.

fatius

fresquito said:
Bonk was the mascot of the TG16, which was the third 16bit console.

Actually, I don't think that is quite correct, "Even though it was called the Turbo Grafx-16, in reality it was only an 8-bit CPU system with two processors (one of them was a 16-bit graphics processor though but the main CPU wasn't), not a true 16-bit machine after all even though NEC clearly advertised the system as a true 16-bit powerhouse."

http://ryangenno.tripod.com/sub_pages/turbo.htm

Also, wikipedia lists "CPU: 8-bit"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbografx_16

Carry on.

fresquito

fatius said:
Actually, I don't think that is quite correct, "Even though it was called the Turbo Grafx-16, in reality it was only an 8-bit CPU system with two processors (one of them was a 16-bit graphics processor though but the main CPU wasn't), not a true 16-bit machine after all even though NEC clearly advertised the system as a true 16-bit powerhouse."

http://ryangenno.tripod.com/sub_pages/turbo.htm

Also, wikipedia lists "CPU: 8-bit"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbografx_16

Carry on.
Well, it was battling for the same ground. Probably should've said "it was the third console on the 16bit era".

jarrod

Banned
fresquito said:
Well, it was battling for the same ground. Probably should've said "it was the third console on the 16bit era".
It was actually first to launch though... in Japan, PC Engine was positioned mainly as an alternative to the original Famicom, and was at that point it's most competitive. MegaDrive was a comparable nonstarter and Japan really didn't shift over until Super Famicom.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
TG16 also wasn't "the 3RD system" of that generation either...I believe it came out around the same time as the Genisis. It's a lil' known fact that Nintendo was considering working with NEC to bring games to TG16 as opposed to making the Super Famicom. TG16 was already an established console in Japan & the U.S. versus the Genisis, so it was being considered before Nintendo just decided to make thier own system.

That generation also beheld the NeO*GeO as well as Pioneer's little known forray into video games later on. It was a modual system that played CD's, VCD's, full-sized LD's, Sega CD's, Turbo Duo CD's and eventually NeO*GeO CD's...not too many people know about it 'cos it was mega expensive (like over $1000) *and* you had to buy $100 to $200 moduals in order to play a different system. You plugged the modual in, it had controller ports & a "key" that told the Pioneer system to play games from whatever respective system was plugged in.

Stuff like this would eventually begot failures & failed ventures like Jaguar, Saturn, Panasonic REAL 3D0, CDi and of course Sony & Nintendo's "partnership" that eventually became the PlayStation. It's no wonder Nintendo was hasty to get into CD-ROM gaming as every system that did...failed. This, amoung other reasons would play a part in the exchange of crowns from Nintendo to Sony.

Oh yeah, I bought Bonk!

PS- I didn't mean to be condecending in correcting you, really it could be argued whether NeO*GeO or TG16 was "third" in that generation depending on who you talked to.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Updated, but I don't feel like totaling up $ every time I update the first post. Maybe once every couple days or something.

Bo130

Will you update the list for EU and Japan as well? :)

BTW, Donkey Kong Country was suppose to be at EU-launch - I suspect you'll get that one soon as well, if that's the case :)

...Oh god, how I hope for Nintendo to release weekly official VC-sales, even though I know it won't happen :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
JCX9 said:
Is Bonk's adventure really that good? I already know I'll make more impulse VC buys.

I bought it because I owned a Genesis and a SNES but not a TG16, and Bonk was the third of the "big 3" mascots from that era. So for $6, I figured it was worth it to fulfill my curiosity.

From other posts I've seen around here it seems like other people bought it for a similar reason.

Is the game worth it? I dunno. It's a cute little platformer, but without any nostalgia tied to the experience I doubt I'll play it THAT much. It's nice that it's $6 and not $8 like the Genesis and SNES games.

ant1532

Banned
I was workin 3 of my friends on Bomberman 93' last night.

They would keep on getting 4 coins and I had 0 but then I just kept on winning 5 straight. It was awesome.

MGrant

So did anyone else notice that, in Bonk, the wiimote's A button and B trigger act as turbo buttons for the 1 and 2 buttons? Holding the B trigger makes it really easy to float through the air in Bonk.

Durante

I think buying Bonk on VC has become a meme. I've never even heard of the game before, but I've got an urge to buy it first thing once I get my Wii :lol

MGrant said:
So did anyone else notice that, in Bonk, the wiimote's A button and B trigger act as turbo buttons for the 1 and 2 buttons? Holding the B trigger makes it really easy to float through the air in Bonk.
I noticed it in Bomberman '93, when a slip of the left index finger caused my manually-exploded bombs to kill me. Whoops! (Another decent reason to have adjustable controls, I guess.)

Top Bottom