• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise and Fall of Command & Conquer

Redd

Red Alert 2 and Yuris revenge are my favorites. Really wish whoever holds the rights would remake RA 1-3.

Linkark07

Banned
Red Alert 2 and Yuris revenge are my favorites. Really wish whoever holds the rights would remake RA 1-3.

You can try OpenRA for Red Alert 1. Although, if memory serves me well, it is only multiplayer.

And no, EA currently owns the franchise. And they seem to prefer to leave the franchise continue being forgotten.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think I'm one of the very few people on the planet who actually ENJOYED the Renegade first person game.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's insane to me that EA can just sit on a property that sold over 30 million copies. I understand if the genre does not warrant an over-investment but surely there must be a level of production values that makes business sense and still makes a respectable swipe at the competitive multiplayer scene.

Tried booting up C&C3 a few weeks back, the game is locked to 30fps. Can't do it...

Sini

It's insane to me that EA can just sit on a property that sold over 30 million copies. I understand if the genre does not warrant an over-investment but surely there must be a level of production values that makes business sense and still makes a respectable swipe at the competitive multiplayer scene.

I really hope EA will never touch C&C again. Maybe selling it to some other publisher like Sega would be nice, but sadly EA never sells their IP.

main-qimg-2180eadf9b2c88108db91e87f198a122-c

Wish this was done to Larry Probst

Chozoman

Banned
No mention of Emperor: Battle for Dune? Not a Command & Conquer game, but still.

They really need to make Red Alert 2 HD. Put it on Origin for $20 and watch the money rolling in.

Emperor was developed by a company called "Intelligent Games" under the design direction of Westwood. We were too busy working on Renegade, Earth & Beyond and other non-RTS games at that point. :|

Linkark07

Banned
Emperor was developed by a company called "Intelligent Games" under the design direction of Westwood. We were too busy working on Renegade, Earth & Beyond and other non-RTS games at that point. :|

Just learned this. Always thought Westwood was the sole developer of Emperor.

Emperor was another of my favorite RTS games too. For people who loved the C&C soundtracks, I really recommend you to listen the soundtrack of Emperor. Unlike C&C games, Emperor had 3 composers. Frank Klepacki composed the Atreides tracks, David Arkenstone the Harkonnen tracks and Jarrid Mendelson the Ordos tracks. And, personally, I believe the Harkonnen tracks were way better than the other factions.

lazygecko

Are you ex-Westwood? I thought Emperor was made internally but evidently not. Were Intelligent Games the same ones who did Dune 2000?

So I guess that means the original Westwood studio were not developing any RTS games at all at the time (RA2 being made by what eventually became EA Pacific/EALA).

Just learned this. Always thought Westwood was the sole developer of Emperor.

Emperor was another of my favorite RTS games too. For people who loved the C&C soundtracks, I really recommend you to listen the soundtrack of Emperor. Unlike C&C games, Emperor had 3 composers. Frank Klepacki composed the Atreides tracks, David Arkenstone the Harkonnen tracks and Jarrid Mendelson the Ordos tracks. And, personally, I believe the Harkonnen tracks were way better than the other factions.

Probably the best RTS soundtrack given its sheer scope and quality-to-quantity ratio. It's a damn shame the official OST only contains about a third of the full soundtracks. If you want the rest there's only 22khz game rips, apart from the rest of the Atreides tracks which Frank made streamable on his website at 44.1khz

fireflame

I used to find the playstation red alert mission tesla game too hard because you could not save during a mission. I experience huge framerate drops whenproducing many units and the experience was tough. I remember the special Ant war missions. Then i discovered the main red alert game on pc, and played all the red alert and command and conquer games.

I feel the alien were wasted potential in Command and conquer. They could have been so much better, plot wise. Kane vanishing through that portal is a tragic symbol of the fate of the series.

Chozoman

Banned
Are you ex-Westwood? I thought Emperor was made internally but evidently not. Were Intelligent Games the same ones who did Dune 2000?

So I guess that means the original Westwood studio were not developing any RTS games at all at the time (RA2 being made by what eventually became EA Pacific/EALA).

Probably the best RTS soundtrack given its sheer scope and quality-to-quantity ratio. It's a damn shame the official OST only contains about a third of the full soundtracks. If you want the rest there's only 22khz game rips, apart from the rest of the Atreides tracks which Frank made streamable on his website at 44.1khz

I worked at WW from 2000 - 2003.

It was a little before I started there, but yep, Dune 2000 was also developed by Intelligent Games and Westwood.

During the time I was there, WW was developing an FPS, an MMO, and a 3rd person adventure game. They had offloaded all main RTS devs to EA Pacific and IG. We were trying to branch out. After several commercial failures, we had tried to get back to mainline RTS dev, but the horse was already out of the barn.

shandy706

One of my favorite gaming series of all time. Have owned every single C&C (on PC) since the launch of the original.

Even bought the N64 build, haha. I never owned other console ports...haven't heard great things about them.

My favorite moment was the music really kicking in on Red Alert as I made my first kill. That moment is burnt into my memory.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Intelligent Games and Westwood had a pretty long relationship. Intelligent made:

Command & Conquer: Red Alert - The Aftermath
Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Counterstrike
Dune 2000
Emperor: Battle for Dune

Astrates

RA2 and Generals were the pinnacle for me with RA2 being my favourite.

Nothing better than a swarm of Zepplins crawlings their way across the map and just annihilating everything.

Zaru

RA2 and Generals were the pinnacle for me with RA2 being my favourite.

Nothing better than a swarm of Zepplins crawlings their way across the map and just annihilating everything.

People associate C&C with large armies of tanks steamrolling something, but RA2 in particular was a great playground for finding ways to outsmart the AI with small amounts of specialized units after building up an impenetrable defense.

Two Kirovs could defend your base and take down the objective in the penultimate russian mission. A few chrono legionnaires could beat the final allied mission. Lots of missions let you use V2s, dreadnoughts, prism tanks, terror drones, rocketeers etc. to deal with massive amounts of units and defenses.

I've played skirmishes where I turned the enemy base into a harmless pet zoo surrounded by max rank units. There are speedruns to beat the whole campaigns in under an hour.

Few games get this way of making the player feel "clever" right, and most tend to have no base building at all.

Linkark07

Banned
People associate C&C with large armies of tanks steamrolling something, but RA2 in particular was a great playground for finding ways to outsmart the AI with small amounts of specialized units after building up an impenetrable defense.

Two Kirovs could defend your base and take down the objective in the penultimate russian mission. A few chrono legionnaires could beat the final allied mission. Lots of missions let you use V2s, dreadnoughts, prism tanks, terror drones, rocketeers etc. to deal with massive amounts of units and defenses.

I've played skirmishes where I turned the enemy base into a harmless pet zoo surrounded by max rank units. There are speedruns to beat the whole campaigns in under an hour.

Few games get this way of making the player feel "clever" right, and most tend to have no base building at all.
What? Two? Doesn't the enemy has a lot of AA in buldings and units? I mean, Kirovs were the only way for finish that mission since using Nuclear Missile superweapon would mean defend my base against Kirovs, and going the long way would be tedious, but certainly two Kirovs isn't enough for even get close to the objective.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Even though it killed Westwood.

Earth and Beyond was good shit. First MMO I played, followed by Planetside, then SWG.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Westwood was some good shit. Other than Blizzard they were probably the biggest presence in my early PC gaming life. I spent a lot of time in the westwood chat program (i don't even remember what it was called) back in the day too, just chatting with randos as a weird kid.

I even had that C&C sole survivor game, the online-only game where you played as a single C&C unit.

Also Nox. Fuckin loved me some Nox.

Zaru

What? Two? Doesn't the enemy has a lot of AA in buldings and units? I mean, Kirovs were the only way for finish that mission since using Nuclear Missile superweapon would mean defend my base against Kirovs, and going the long way would be tedious, but certainly two Kirovs isn't enough for even get close to the objective.
It is possible, since I've beaten the mission half a dozen times that way.

Get them to max rank (doable in minutes) and move them along the right side of the map. The flak cannons can't deal with the self-repair and at worst they'll crash into the objective and you win anyway

I still don't understand why this game hasn't been made for mobile devices. I guarantee if they properly use it without any bs micro transactions it would be a hit.

OneUh8

Red Alert was by far my favorite in the series. Can't tell you how many hundreds of hours I spent playing that game. Lots of LAN with friends.

m_dorian

I just found my copy of 1999 C&C title Tiberian Sun with a greek manual. It was a game i enjoyed immensely, one gem of my small collection. Back then where EA was not that evil.

Yet modern EA fails to learn that innovation in accounting does not equal gaming quality, that is why most of their titles are games without a soul, just mirrors and beads for the natives.

IMO, Westwood made the funnest maps in any RTS genre.

Not necessarily the "best competitive" maps, but funnest in the sense of what they threw in there. Random real-world monuments, little forts in campaign mode that are just an oil derrick, two guard towers and a flag (lol), etc.

Red Alert 2 and YR are definitely my peak for the series.

Ishmae1

I'm ex-Westwood. Emperor was made by Intelligent Games with oversight from Westwood. The pitch for the sequel / expansion was brilliant - I'm really bummed we never got to do it.

RA2 was being developed by Westwood Pacific, with feedback from Westwood Vegas (us). It was in good hands though - very talented team and the final product was brilliant. We handed over our ideas for C&C3 at the time, which manifested in a some of the units for RA2 / Yuri's revenge, etc.

At the time @ Westwood Vegas the RTS team was working on Earth & Beyond, which at that time it was called "G" and was much more an RTS on ground, Star Control in space. I really loved that design - I wish it would have seen the light of day.

And man, Renegade 2 had so much promise. /tears

It is possible, since I've beaten the mission half a dozen times that way.

Get them to max rank (doable in minutes) and move them along the right side of the map. The flak cannons can't deal with the self-repair and at worst they'll crash into the objective and you win anyway

Holy shit. You cheesy son of a bitch.

I'm ex-Westwood. Emperor was made by Intelligent Games with oversight from Westwood. The pitch for the sequel / expansion was brilliant - I'm really bummed we never got to do it.

RA2 was being developed by Westwood Pacific, with feedback from Westwood Vegas (us). It was in good hands though - very talented team and the final product was brilliant. We handed over our ideas for C&C3 at the time, which manifested in a some of the units for RA2 / Yuri's revenge, etc.

At the time @ Westwood Vegas the RTS team was working on Earth & Beyond, which at that time it was called "G" and was much more an RTS on ground, Star Control in space. I really loved that design - I wish it would have seen the light of day.

Thanks for having a hand in creating lifelong memories for me, C&C is the first series I fell in love with.

Renegade multiplayer was digital crack. It was buggy and ran like shit but the draw of being the guy to finally punch past defences and land killing blows was some good shit. Sad that a sequel never got a chance to expand on it :(

Really hope they do an Age Of Empires 2 like rerelease for the older games.

Renegade multiplayer was digital crack. It was buggy and ran like shit but the draw of being the guy to finally punch past defences and land killing blows was some good shit. Sad that a sequel never got a chance to expand on it :(

Really hope they do an Age Of Empires 2 like rerelease for the older games.

I agree in its heyday during the Gamespy era this was my go to multiplayer game to dick around and have fun. So many fond memories of that time. My favorite of the series is a tie between Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. I still had fun with Red Alert 3's co-op and Command and Conquer 3.

SJRB

Gold Member
Drinking game: Take a shot everytime you think "what the fuck, EA" while watching this video.

Jebusman

Banned
Renegade was easily my 2nd favorite C&C game.

Played almost entirely on the n00bless servers while they were still up.

Got my friend into the game, he eventually went on to be a GM for that group.

*BOINK* will forever be with me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Renegade was easily my 2nd favorite C&C game.

Played almost entirely on the n00bless servers while they were still up.

Got my friend into the game, he eventually went on to be a GM for that group.

Boink will forever be with me.

Ahh one of them n00bless people huh :D

Boink!

Fun fact, *boink* SFX is my message tone and have been for yeeeears...

Nokterian

I played Dune 2 when it came out and C&C changed it all. The installation was something out of this world but the FMV made it better and the soundtrack from Frank Klepacki? Man that made this game one of the best.

And it is sad how EA ruined this to the ground...

Man, near the end what the fuck...C&C4 such a fucking mess.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I played Dune 2 when it came out and C&C changed it all. The installation was something out of this world but the FMV made it better and the soundtrack from Frank Klepacki? Man that made this game one of the best.

And it is sad how EA ruined this to the ground...

Man, near the end what the fuck...C&C4 such a fucking mess.

I remember the day I got access to TW and I also remember how the forum went dark on the same day.

It saddens me.

Nokterian

Thank you for these amazing games that changed my childhood. I really mean that i am still a huge fan of C&C. So many lost hours on all of them. Westwood was also one of my favorite gaming company's.

Also you guys did great work on Blade Runner ( i still have the game in a huge old big box).

I also played Emperor i still own the game also. When i think back Westwood and Blizzard even today are my top tier gaming studio's.

What i found most fun was the FMV in all those games..the cast with Red Alert 3 was really gigantic..George Takei,Tim Curry and my favorite gemma atkinson.

Firemind

I didn't like how RA got cheesier and cheesier with every sequel. The first RA was cheesy, true, but giant squids? Trained dolphins? Come on bro

So many great memories with C&C! I'll never forget the days my brother and our friends had LAN parties in our tiny basement playing C&C and other games.

The last game I played was 3 but I liked it, it wasn't bad at all.

Anyone remember C&C Sole Survivor? The online only version where you picked a unit and had to be the last one standing? It wasn't bad, still enjoyed it. I'll always remember logging in and hearing the girl say "Welcome to Westwood".

Top Bottom