• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise and Fall of Command & Conquer

So many great memories with C&C! I'll never forget the days my brother and our friends had LAN parties in our tiny basement playing C&C and other games.

The last game I played was 3 but I liked it, it wasn't bad at all.

Anyone remember C&C Sole Survivor? The online only version where you picked a unit and had to be the last one standing? It wasn't bad, still enjoyed it. I'll always remember logging in and hearing the girl say "Welcome to Westwood".
I remember Sole Survivor. I briefly played it once or twice back in the day. It did not hook me as much as the original C&C did so I stopped playing it.

Man I remember playing RA on PSOne via the link cable with my step-brother. So many good fights that usually ended with one of us acknowledging that the other won because we didn't want to sit through the single frames due to the shear size of the others forces.

Steam has just started a sale for the C&C franchise (as in...just C&C3, 4 and RA3) but something that's a bit strange to me is it seems to use a screenshot of Generals 2 as the banner:

capsule_467x181.jpg

Why would it do that? Generals 2 wasn't even put on Steam in any form before it was cancelled, was it?

PnCIa

My favourite RTS franchise.

I´ve been playing those games since i was a kid, starting with the very first one. Since then i believe i bought all of them on release day, except "C&C 4".

Up to this day, i prefer C&C to the likes of Starcraft, CoH or whatever Eugen Systems puts out. Part of it is nostalgia associated with the francise, but what makes most C&C games special to me up to this day is that it feels like a deliberate power fantasy.
I began to play C&C 3, RA2 and Tiberian Sun again recently, and what struck me was that those games are made to be fun first and foremost. None of them achieves a balance that can rival Starcraft for example, but to me, that was never the point.
Playing C&C today still gives me a feel like being a 5-year old playing with his toy tanks. Its a perfect power fantasy of churning out an army of awesome soldiers, tanks and aircraft, watching them burn and explode and destroy whatever is in their way.
Part of it is that most C&C games are somewhat outlandish, yet relateable. Tanks run over things, soldier can enter building and vehicles etc...
A bolt of lighting from a Tesla Tank does what makes sense, even though it doesnt make sense, but within the power fantasy it all works perfectly fine. While no C&C is as snappy as Starcraft, thats a huge part of what makes it so relateable. Tanks are not the fastest vehicles when it comes to turning, especially a Mammoth Tank is slow as fuck in that regard. But it fits all so well together.

Essentially its an arcady futuristic army simulator with a rule set more akin to a childs sandbox playing with friends, were the deciding factor whose tank got destroyed was whoever screamed the loudest that they won, in contrast to a truely believeable simulation.
But that is the fun part, its unrealistic yet relateable in all the right ways.

I mourn for this franchise obviously :-/

The installation screens+audio in C&C and Red Alert back in the day were sooooo good

EVA is the best

In the day,they were 'AAA games', the production values were lavish, from the custom elaborate installation in C&C1, to the music, to each mission having a briefing video, 1 intro CG video and sometimes 1 outro CG video.

Tiberian Sun is still my favorite, simply because it was the first one I bought as a kid. My dad and I played the hell out of it in skirmish. I remember downloading tons of mods and maps... ahh man, miss those days.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Tiberian Sun is still my favorite, simply because it was the first one I bought as a kid. My dad and I played the hell out of it in skirmish. I remember downloading tons of mods and maps... ahh man, miss those days.

RA2 for me is the defining one but TS I probably spent days building walls and giant bases on the same map :D

EA completely murdered the franchise in the end. With greed, multiple studio closures and total mismanagement. C+C4 was a shambolic mess.

But it's an amazing that they sit on a huge franchise and seemingly willing to do nothing good with it. If they could put a team together to make something special, the foundations are there. Go back to its roots. I don't want flashy 3D. Something simple graphically like the old ones would be more than enough. Heck even a remaster of the original would be a great start.

I think it's time to bring C+C back. Back to its glory.

Steam has just started a sale for the C&C franchise (as in...just C&C3, 4 and RA3) but something that's a bit strange to me is it seems to use a screenshot of Generals 2 as the banner:

capsule_467x181.jpg

Why would it do that? Generals 2 wasn't even put on Steam in any form before it was cancelled, was it?

Quoting my own post but i still don't understand this. I've looked into it so more and it seems this might be the only time this image has been used to represent the franchise as it's the only example of it i can find using google reverse image search, so during this specific sale. The game didn't get anywhere near a Steam release, doesn't actually represent the Franchise and this seems to be a new image so i really can't figure out why they'd use that in particular. Am i missing something?

Coxy100

Banned
Thanks for the link. Finally got round to watching all of the video.

Loved this series when it was at its peak. Hearing how EA dissolved 3 studios who worked on the franchise is so sad. Reminds me why why I dislike EA!

Zaru

Anyone know if there are studios out there with clusters of people who used to work on the RTS games before this decade?
Obviously EA has the franchise rights but in times of everything getting crowdfunded revivals I'm surprised nobody who was involved is properly betting on that nostalgia with a "not-C&C but C&C"

Stopdoor

Anyone know if there are studios out there with clusters of people who used to work on the RTS games before this decade?
Obviously EA has the franchise rights but in times of everything getting crowdfunded revivals I'm surprised nobody who was involved is properly betting on that nostalgia with a "not-C&C but C&C"

Petroglyph? They've released Grey Goo, 8-Bit Armies on Steam, but not to much fanfare.

Tacitus_

Petroglyph has a bunch of ex-Westwood devs (and Klepacki!). They've made a couple of RTS games and this is their most recent effort:
maxresdefault.jpg

Petroglyph has a bunch of ex-Westwood devs (and Klepacki!). They've made a couple of RTS games and this is their most recent effort:
maxresdefault.jpg

This looks interesting, but the art style puts me off it. That style sort lacks depth, detail and seriousness, i don't think it really fits with this sort of RTS game.

I think part of what made C&C enjoyable was the lore and setting anyway, so even if the gameplay is great it'll still be missing something without a good theme to back it up.

Heigic

I really enjoyed Generals/ZH multiplayer. I also think EA LA did a good job with CNC3 and RA3 single player but the multiplayer was terrible. I actually went to replay them recently shame they are locked to 30fps..

In an nostalgia attack, I installed C&C the first Decade and I'm playing RA1.

It's more outdated in controls than I remembered. The usual in these cases, in other words.

-No double click on control group to center the view on it.
-No double click on an unit to select all of the same type.
-No queue to built units. Want to build 20 infantry? Click 20 times on the icon, having to wait for each one to be done until you can click the next one.
-No attack move command.

Alos, the pathfinding a bit iffy in places.

It's more outdated in controls than I remembered. The usual in these cases, in other words.

-No queue to built units. Want to build 20 infantry? Click 20 times on the icon, having to wait for each one to be done until you can click the next one.
-No attack move command.

It's from like early 90s...,

-No attack move command.

I did the same a couple years ago. Wish I hadn't lol

On the topic of the traditional, in the same vein of C&C, RTS, I have found Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak to be the best of the rest releases. It blends the action/unit-building of the 1990s with the QoL improvements we now take for granted. And if you squint it even looks a bit like Nod versus GDI too.

In terms of overall RTS fun though, the Wargame series is close to perfection for me. I loved Red Dragon, even if the naval bits didn't turn out as good as anyone hoped. I'm cautiously optimistic for their new WW2 take on that same model.

Yep, I enjoyed Homeword DoK, I wish the campaign had 2 or 3 more missions in fact.

About my previous post, well, I wish Ea wouuld do a cheap remaster fixing those problems.

Alex

RA2 was series peak for me, so good.

Man we really need an RTS renaissance.

I always figured we'd see some more attempts at things like Sacrifice (<3) as the genre marched into the future, sad times.

-No attack move command.

And all forgivable but still perfectly playable and very much still highly enjoyable to this day.

Currently playing through Yuris Revenge now. Finished up most of the series prior. The Red Alert series is defo my fave (still not sure which out of 1 and 2 I prefer). But possibly Generals might be my fave but we'll see again when I return to it soon.

Daffy Duck

They've released an updated video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlIkGlTMUNE

First off, I'd like to thank Plokite_Wolf and Cypher for helping us revise and rectify some of the errors and expanding on the information of our first script. After having published our first 'version' of the video, it was brought to our attention that some of the information provided was either incorrect or needed to be elaborated on. I regret the fact that this has happened, as fans of the series we wanted to make a franchise analysis that takes the viewer through the highs and lows of the series as well as tell the stories of the developers at EALA and Westwood in detail. Making a documentary-style video about Command & Conquer has, personally, been one of my long-time goals but I didn't feel that it was fully achieved in our first video. The story of Command & Conquer is very nuanced and the Redux, or Revision or V2 (whatever you like to call it) seeks to tell this more accurately, with 10+ minutes of additional information I feel like this is a much more interesting video for fans of the series.

Top Bottom