• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The River | OT | Season 1 | From the makers Paranormal Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist

Banned
The River is an upcoming American paranormal/adventure/horror series that will debut during the 2011–12 television season on ABC as a mid-season replacement. Eight episodes will be produced for the first season.

abc-the-river-poster.jpg

TRAILER

WIKI

REVIEWS
Oren Peli’s The River: Best TV Pilot We’ve Seen in Years

AIR-DATE
TBA

Looks crap. I've come to loathe the found footage style. Absolutely hate it, brings nothing to a show/movie and turns what might be interesting premises into dull guff.

How reliable is Peli when it comes to rating/reviewing pilots?

artist

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Isn't this a little bit early?
I read some where that the original air date was in November .. I cant find it now or it was probably untrue or pulled.
Speedymanic said:
Looks crap. I've come to loathe the found footage style. Absolutely hate it, brings nothing to a show/movie and turns what might be interesting premises into dull guff.
I hate the found footage style also but this looks intriguing. Judging from the pilot's reviews, it looks promising.

Qwomo

Neat. Totally forgot about this show. Hopefully it'll be the first actually good piece of network television since Lost ended.

JdFoX187

Banned
So I've been seeing the trailers and I still have no real idea what's going on. This group is looking for a lost explorer in the Amazon and there's something stalking them?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So I've been seeing the trailers and I still have no real idea what's going on. This group is looking for a lost explorer in the Amazon and there's something stalking them?

It has, like, paranormal shit.

Link that may help make things clearer.

Also, the premiere is 2 hours.

ivysaur12

Banned
Isn't it your job to make terrible network TV, though.

No. But I also can recognize good shows outside of crappy sci-fi and fantasy and that there have actually been other good shows on network television over the past few years besides Lost, so there ya go. And let's be real, by the time Lost ended, there are dozens of other shows that had surpassed it, regardless of how people view even the finale.

It's a
smoke monster demon.
Really.

ivysaur12

Banned
Looking forward to this. I'm not expecting it to be the next great watercooler show, but there seems to be a lot of good buzz around it.

Does this count as one or two episodes of the eight-episode order?

Two. It's the pilot + second episode, not conceived as one entity.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I doubt it'll bomb, it's tracking very well... Better than Smash.

I know. It was just a "what if" scenario. I hope it does well.

I've been on blackout since its initial reveal trailer, which I remember being very "found footage-y", and I was wondering if the entire series is found footage, or is it only used for certain scenes?

Looks like a cool premise if it was a limited run series. Now if it's anything remotely too successfully, they will milk the premise until it whither and dies like networks tend to to.

ivysaur12

Banned
Looks like a cool premise if it was a limited run series. Now if it's anything remotely too successfully, they will milk the premise until it whither and dies like networks tend to to.

Out of all the networks, Paul Lee (ABC) and Bob Greenblatt (NBC) have come from cable and have stated they want to start doing limited run series for those that are applicable. This is more of a reality for ABC since they're in a much better position to do so and have already indicated they would for a second season of Missing.

I expect The River would be the same, fluctuating between 13-15 episode seasons.

border

I'm subscribing to the thread so I remember to watch this.

But man, it looks like they are really overworking the "character's body gets hurled at the camera" gimmick from Pananormal Activity. I wonder if the network demanded that the show have some kind of visual connection to Paranormal Activity to help the marketing, or if Peli and Company really think it's going to be that effective in a TV setting, done over and over.

B+ from Sepinwall. Sounds like it'll be worth watching but...

The show isn't perfect. As prodigal son Lincoln, Joe Anderson comes across as much more petulant and irritating than I think is intended.

Also, the show's use of the two Spanish-speaking crew members — mechanic Emilio (Daniel Zacapa), and, especially, his daughter Jahel (Paulina Gaitán), who's like an encyclopedia of every local superstition that's coming to life for the Magus — is clumsy at best, ethnic caricature at worst. (It wasn't until the fifth episode before Jahel had a real conversation with anyone that wasn't related to magic in some way.)

=(

I can't tell if its going to be some purely paranormal deal(Amazon tribe demons....or something) or what. I hope its more than that though.

The last 2 episodes of Raising Hope have been the best of the series run so I'll be watching that tonight. I'll watch this when it hits online, tomorrow?

Tunic

Looking forward to watching it tonight after work. It definitely looks like it can be scary. Hopefully it will be just as good as the previews make it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked it for the most part. It's really unlike anything else currently on TV, and at only 8 episodes, it's not a big waste of time if things turn south.

I thought that they did a good job with making everything feel creepy, and the jungle (is this shot on location?) was sufficiently claustrophobic and dark. I didn't think anything in the first two episodes was necessarily scary, but I did get creeped out a few times. That's good enough for me.

The found footage aspect doesn't make a whole lot of sense, narratively speaking. Why are there hundreds of tiny cameras stuck to every surface and angle of the boat inside and out? lol I know the original boat crew were filming a documentary/reality series, but come on now.

The scene where the mom is asking the black static monster (it looked more like static than smoke XD) where her husband is was just awful. "Tell me, ghost monster, is my husband alive? Cut me twice for yes and once for no." lol

Also, in the first episode they encounter a smoke monster from Lost and trap it in a spirit cocoon, but in the second episode, when faced with the possibility of a second ghost in the jungle, the son is like "That's hard to believe, stop trying to scare me!" Uhhh...you just sealed a ghost in a wooden cocoon and saw your dad walk on water and hold fire in his bare hands. You're really doubting this now?

It's also kinda lame that every time something spooky happens, someone says "Oh! I remember hearing about this once!" and then they go on to explain exactly what's going on. On one hand it takes most of the mystery out of everything, but at the same time, no one is going to lack for answers. I think it's cool that they're solving their own mysteries so quickly, but it's handled in a very clunky manner.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hey, it's Teri Bauer and Stephan Saunders.

Wonder if Christopher Henderson will show up.

Well, there's Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom