• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The River | OT | Season 1 | From the makers Paranormal Activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoc29

So they found Emmet and he is alive. Now what?

They gotta pull something big out of their ass to keep the show going now.

I'll take a stab at what might happen in the finale:

Emmett hasn't found the Source yet, so he'll insist on going back into the jungle to find it. The others refuse to let him go by himself so they accompany him. They find the Source, and Kurt betrays them all and tries to grab the Source for his employers. The Amazon, however, deems Kurt unworthy and kills him in grisly fashion. The others are in great peril as well, but at the last minute, Lena saves the group because she is the Chosen One.

Let's see how this plays out...

ultron87

Was it just me or did Hanna look entirely different from when Kurt found her in that tunnel (and apparently didn't shoot her) and when she ended up on the boat?

I thought her hair and clothes were totally different. That seems weird for those things to change on a zombie.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Zombies?! The problem is: zombies created by pharmaceutical experimentation (aka Resident Evil) just don't fit in with ghosts and magic. There's no cohesion with any of the stuff that's going on; they just seem to be throwing in everything they can think of. I wouldn't be surprised if Emmett turned out to be a vampire or something.

The episode did have me on the edge of my seat though, and in terms of scariness, this was the best episode yet. Which, I guess, is what matters in the end. I just hope they can wrap everything up satisfactorily next week.

Well they did make it from what appeared to be angels. I thought it was a fun take on the idea.

I'll take a stab at what might happen in the finale:

Emmett hasn't found the Source yet, so he'll insist on going back into the jungle to find it. The others refuse to let him go by himself so they accompany him. They find the Source, and Kurt betrays them all and tries to grab the Source for his employers. The Amazon, however, deems Kurt unworthy and kills him in grisly fashion. The others are in great peril as well, but at the last minute, Lena saves the group because she is the Chosen One.

Let's see how this plays out...

My guess is Emmitt has basically become a god at this point. he controls the river and the powers in it. Kurt tries to kill him and fails, and Lena manages to do it somehow because she is marked.

someone stuck a script for some B resident evil in... it was... kind of lame.

the fix cams on the boat did little to dispell the resident evilness.

worst episode of the season. Now that emmett cole is onboard; I wonder what happens next.

TripOpt55

Hmmm... that episode was alright. Not as good as last week though. Hope the final one is great. Really enjoyed the show so far overall.

Yes! Really looking forward to the finale. Hopefully the answer of why the daughter has the tattoo will be answered. Shame it isn't getting good ratings. I would love to see the stories continue in another season.

Saw the finale and was disappointed in that
none of the questions posed were answered, the tribesmen were forgotten, no mention of the source or going to find it, etc. Show ends with them trying to leave the river and go home, but the river keeps closing pathways and reforming to keep them locked inside. It doesn't want to let them leave. Also, entire episode is them trying to exorcise a demon from Lincoln

RS4-

Saw the finale and was disappointed in that
none of the questions posed were answered, the tribesmen were forgotten, no mention of the source or going to find it, etc. Show ends with them trying to leave the river and go home, but the river keeps closing pathways and reforming to keep them locked inside. It doesn't want to let them leave. Also, entire episode is them trying to exorcise a demon from Lincoln

Yeah that was a weak finale :(

Jonas is a bitch, although I think alot of my feelings towards him come from the way he acts on Californication. Why did he try to kill Lincoln, especially after he saved his life? Just more questions that will never get answered.

why did demon lincoln rip lena's shirt open when he had her plastered to the ceiling? seemed odd. just another mystery that will probably never be solved on... the river

ultron87

Jonas is a bitch, although I think alot of my feelings towards him come from the way he acts on Californication. Why did he try to kill Lincoln, especially after he saved his life? Just more questions that will never get answered.

I think he was aiming for Emmitt and Lincoln just pushed him out of the way. Why he chose the moment when there was an incredibly obvious witness to take his shot is the true mystery.

I think he was aiming for Emmitt and Lincoln just pushed him out of the way. Why he chose the moment when there was an incredibly obvious witness to take his shot is the true mystery.

Oh yeah that's right, although how he could miss by that much remains a mystery. Where was he shooting from? The bullet came from behind? How would Emmett not see the shooter?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the finale was decent. Most of the weird happenings were left unexplained, though I don't really feel like the ghosts and stuff needed any explanation. The natives, the source, Lena's mark, and Kurt's motives, however, did need elaborated on, and I assume that's what they would have done in season 2. They also probably would have had to travel to Jahel's mom for help at some point.

Anyway, while they didn't answer any of the story related mysteries, at least they sort of tied a bow on the interpersonal stuff. At least as far as Lincoln and Emmett are concerned, though it did leave the Lena/Lincoln and Jahel/Emilio stuff up in the air. Ah well.

Despite feeling a bit cliffhanger-y, I think the ending works well for a horror series. Everyone is trapped and they never get away. The end. It's sort of fitting.

why did demon lincoln rip lena's shirt open when he had her plastered to the ceiling? seemed odd. just another mystery that will probably never be solved on... the river

Cuz of the boobs.

Any chance another channel like Scyfy or even Netflix could pick this up or is it too expensive to produce? I hope it gets a second season somehow.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Any chance another channel like Scyfy or even Netflix could pick this up or is it too expensive to produce? I hope it gets a second season somehow.

Well, it hasn't officially been cancelled by ABC yet. I guess there's a slim chance it gets renewed. Like maybe 1%. I doubt Syfy or Netflix would touch it. It's pretty much dead.

Cuz of the boobs.

Because she is super hot.

haha. yeah, thats definitely the reason it happened. but, you gotta admit, it came out of nowhere. evil lincoln is an evil genius.

im sure "boobs" is also the answer to why that supposedly 14 year old on the boat dresses almost entirely in really low cut, loose fitting shirts.

anyway, is this show coming back for another season? i feel like it isn't... and that mark on lena's neck will go down as just being a birthmark. haha.

(edit: oh, it ISNT coming back? nice. theyre just lost on the river forever. end of story.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
im sure "boobs" is also the answer to why that supposedly 14 year old on the boat dresses almost entirely in really low cut, loose fitting shirts.

I don't know how old she's supposed to be on the show, but the actress is 20 irl.

(edit: oh, it ISNT coming back? nice. theyre just lost on the river forever. end of story.)

Well, nothing is confirmed, but it's looking very bleak.

TripOpt55

I mean I guess the end will work as an ending for this type of show, but I thought a couple of the questions might get answered in the finale. Like Lena's mark and maybe a bit more info on Kurt. The episode itself wasn't all that great either. Ahhh... kind of a bummer. I'd watch more. Wish there would be a second season. Maybe this long. Not the greatest show, but I was entertained. Also Lena is super hot.

epicly disappointing finale with
a "I'm pretty much going to "talk the god of demons" out of you finale.

so easily exorcised this demon

:/

The last 2 minutes was aweseome though

Here's hoping theres a season 2. I liked a lot of the show

Rating last night was a 1.4, no way it gets renewed unless they are feeling charitable and throw it on a Friday night. What does ABC usually run on Friday nights and what rating does it do? I'm kind of pissed the more I think about how they didn't answer any questions, plus it was becoming clear they were just trying to shove a different horror theme into each episode. Zombies, Fog Monster, Mysterious Tribes People, Exorcism, etc.

strafer

Now I can post that gif I made. Finally.

theriverbjx82.gif

yeah. true. the cgi work here is good. and the post work to pull off "camera view" couldn't have been too expensive. there's very good camera work as a whole for the series

I'd think the series as a whole would be pretty cheap to make. Most of it is filmed in a closed in location with nothing too crazy going on and with relatively unknown actors. Oren Peli is probably the most expensive part of things as he probably doesn't come cheap now.

haha. yeah, thats definitely the reason it happened. but, you gotta admit, it came out of nowhere. evil lincoln is an evil genius.

anyway, is this show coming back for another season? i feel like it isn't... and that mark on lena's neck will go down as just being a birthmark. haha.

I think the reason was for her to be angry at Lincoln when the whole thing was over leaving their relationship up in the air for the season finale. It would be completely unreasonable on her part though. But I still stand by what I first said. Everyone just wants to see dem boobs.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What does ABC usually run on Friday nights and what rating does it do?

At 9pm, which is The River's timeslot, they air Primetime What Would You Do?. I assume it's much cheaper to produce than The River, but its ratings are around the same, maybe a little better.

its meh
woman stuck on the ceiling. Guy's hand on fire. Camera man films the whole thing in Zen state.

Someone gotta pick up all those cameras lying in the jungle with long lasting battery life...

Finale should have been... "oh shit ran out of tape"
lesson: don't do a serious tv series using cam-like POV

StuBurns

Banned
I really hated the ending. The show has been up and down over the eight episodes, but that was a real low. I guess we'll hear no more from it, it had it's charms, although that was mostly the blonde girl.

rellix

Rating last night was a 1.4, no way it gets renewed unless they are feeling charitable and throw it on a Friday night. What does ABC usually run on Friday nights and what rating does it do? I'm kind of pissed the more I think about how they didn't answer any questions, plus it was becoming clear they were just trying to shove a different horror theme into each episode. Zombies, Fog Monster, Mysterious Tribes People, Exorcism, etc.

They aired it against NCIS-LA.

It's like they wanted it to fail.

Zyzyxxz

Man sucks the finale doesn't answer any questions grrr! It's like we got Bioware'd again.

I assume thats how they would have extended the show into another season, they would have to continue going to "The Source" in order to get out."

Pissed that this is another series that was really interesting and is now donezo....
LLShC.gif

rellix

To me the finale was a fitting ending even if it's not coming back, but left the door open for more. I liked it.

Loved it. Probably wont be back but I enjoyed it.

NOW, if they did something like two more eight episode seasons. Would be kinda cool for primetime tv. With the way execs think, they'd force 'em to write about 20 episodes for a season two. So yea, fun ride. On to the next show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom