• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection

Sounds like the CPU affinity is not set to a single core?

It is.

Also, for some reason creating a shortcut to the game in Steam causes the game to crash upon exiting.

Did anyone ever find out why this happens and how to fix it?

sh2pc-2014-08-27-13-012rw0.jpg

There seem to be a few occurrences like this in the apartment buildings as well.

Last thing I've noticed, the default brightness is two levels too high during normal gameplay, but lowering it makes pre-rendered images and cutscenes darker than they should be.

PC at brightness 1:

PS2 at brightness 3:

Is this something everyone has been dealing with all these years or is something wrong on my end?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I just settled on 8192x4096 as the internal rendering resolution to handle all aliasing when downsampling since I couldn't figure out an anti-aliasing alternative. I'm pleased with the results for a screenshot run:

I think I might have to ditch the real-time shadows because they just don't seem to do much except cause weird artifacts on Heather (look at her legs in the examples) that ruin screenshots :(
No RT Shadows
sh32014-08-2716-58-59h5k8r.jpg

RT Shadows
sh32014-08-2717-00-347hjv5.jpg

Arukado

So I just settled on 8192x4096 as the internal rendering resolution to handle all aliasing when downsampling since I couldn't figure out an anti-aliasing alternative. I'm pleased with the results.
That looks good indeed. Since i was confused about the textures/resolution thing i haven't tried the 4096x4096 rendering resolution yet, but if i see some aliasing i'll probably go with 8192x4096 too.

alf717

This may have been discussed before but does SH3 dip frames constantly for anyone else? I can get 60 but have odd frame dips down to 30 every now and then. I game at 1080P 4096x4096 with the FOV hack.

haikira

This may have been discussed before but does SH3 dip frames constantly for anyone else? I can get 60 but have odd frame dips down to 30 every now and then. I game at 1080P 4096x4096 with the FOV hack.

Yeah, I have this problem too. I've tried a multitude of things to fix it, but in the end I used Nvidia Inspector to half the frame rate for Vertical Sync, and to put a frame rate limiter of 30fps on, as I'd rather take a constant 30, than it always going up and down.

I'm playing at 1080p, 4096x4096, and with the FOV hack too, but I don't think any of that matters, as I tried playing the game with everything lowest, in 4:3, and it didn't seem to improve the issue any.

Sorry I can't be of any actual help.

peronmls

Same for me. Im running a 7970. Cant it that high and stay at 60FPS. the game was ported well i just think it is a compatibility issue or something.

Arukado

I just tried the 4096x4096 rendering resolution, and the framerate only drops to 30 while passing through a door (loading between rooms).

So, what are the best settings for this game on PCSX2? I get no performance issues at all, but I see a little fuzziness on the screen if that makes sense at all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So, what are the best settings for this game on PCSX2? I get no performance issues at all, but I see a little fuzziness on the screen if that makes sense at all.
Which game? I use the default settings for Silent Hill 4 with the exception of the DX 11 renderer and 6x internal res + fxaa. Internal res is gonna be the most important factor for image clarity.

So I just settled on 8192x4096 as the internal rendering resolution to handle all aliasing when downsampling since I couldn't figure out an anti-aliasing alternative.

I thought 4096x4096 was the max? Or are you using gedosato?

Any progress been made in finding out why it fluctuates between 30 and 60fps?

Thank you thank you thank you! Looking through is like playing again- I still believe it's the best horror fiction I've ever encountered. Three just oozes the creepiest atmosphere.

This game... This series...

Speaking of PC (not exactly off topic I don't think) I hope and would bet on the next Silent Hill going to Steam given Kojima's recent efforts with MGS.

Crazy how good Silent Hill 3 still looks, great screenshots. Looking forward to replaying 2/3/4 once I find PC copies or they come to steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've been fighting with SH4 setup on PCSX2 for a couple days now. I think I have the post-process and shadow glitching fix while still preserving the reflections. I got a widescreen patch too, but it seems to be better suited for 16:10 than 16:9 where everything looks a bit too fat.

I tried to replicate the PC shot Lime has posted in the OP and it seems I'm still missing the shadows below Henry.

Here is mine:

and here is Lime's PC shot:

The grain is also more apparent in the PCSX2 shot, but I'll be turning that off so it doesn't matter. Does anyone have tips on the shadow issue though?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, angular graphics (he's been permabanned) asked me to post this:

angular graphics said:
You can convert the game to DX9 using this: http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0035.htm

Alternatively if you really want to play in a window try: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

Finally there's another option that allows you to do this among other things, I'll post about it later (after I test it).

Here's a final present from deepthroat:

https://github.com/emoose/sh2proxy

Features:
Allows:

Custom resolutions
Windowed mode
Borderless window

Window positioning
Executable Arguments/parameters

Fixes:

Disables Safe Mode
Improve transition speed (opening up inventory/map/etc) <- whoa!
Automatically set processor affinity to only use a single core
Create local.fix AA fix file if doesn't exist (thanks to angular graphics for the fix!)

Enjoy this awesome game.

The grain is also more apparent in the PCSX2 shot, but I'll be turning that off so it doesn't matter. Does anyone have tips on the shadow issue though?

It's a PC exclusive feature, I believe. It looked odd on the character models, but the ground shadows were alright.

Edit: I guess not, switching back and forth between software and hardware emulation, looks like shadows are missing...

Algazero

Neo Member
Hey guys, first time poster here looking to gain some assistance with setting up my controller profile for SH2 and 3 via Xpadder. Just want to say thanks to everyone that has been giving us all the opportunity to play our beloved SH games in true HD. So, onto my info. I have version 2014.01.01 of Xpadder and for SH2 my profile looks like this
sh2profilexpadder_zps3665c548.png

and no matter how much I save the settings and profiles, it never seems to click for the actual game.
I'm using a PS3 controller connected wirelessly via an insignia bluetooth 4.0 adapter that I purchased at Best Buy and then I went ahead and did installation of the Xbox 360 controller driver that Microsoft offers. After doing that I went ahead and followed Wiltshire's tutorials on using SCP3 to have the PS3 controller be connected/used wirelessly.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Algazero

Neo Member
Never mind guys, its working now. Just had to remove the joystick buttons in the configuration settings for the game.

luca_29_bg

there is a way to get music from rear speakers ? I have 5.1 setup and from behind speaker i only listen sounds effect, but music are from ahead speaker... i use alchemy to get 3d audio and i have an x-fi sound card. With xp music was coming from behind, with windows 7 no....:(

Mobzy

Neo Member
For some reason when I start up SH3 nothing happens, then I start it again and it says a crash had occurred, starting the game in Safe Mode which brings down the res. Anyone had this issue before, it's really bugging me.

alf717

Since upgrading to Windows 10 I've been having issues with SH2 and SH3. Silent Hill 2 runs full screen but has a windows board around it like I'm running the game in windowed mode. Silent Hill 3 has a very thing white board around the entire screen when in full screen mode.

Amazing thread... I honestly had no idea there were PC versions of Silent Hill 2 to 4!

Is the crazy high internal resolution being discussed here for the PC versions btw?

SOLDIER

Can we have an updated guide or OP on how to get the absolute best looking SH2 and SH3 experiences?

If they finally found a way to cut the 10 second transition between screens in SH2, I want to know exactly how to do it.

Lime

Can we have an updated guide or OP on how to get the absolute best looking SH2 and SH3 experiences?

If they finally found a way to cut the 10 second transition between screens in SH2, I want to know exactly how to do it.

Same thing in the guide, just increase the resolution in case you got a better monitor or have the possibility of downsampling with DSR / VSR.

No news about the transition between map and game though.

guys where to get this SH 1-2-3-4-?

Ebay or whoever is actually distributing these games.

me0wish

I have major/minor issues with SH 3 and 4 on W10, dunno how 2 works (but heard it doesn't work?), because I finished it before I W10 was out.

SH3: White border around the screen.
SH4: Screen flickering, unplayable.

If you plan to play SH games, don't upgrade to W10.

Danielsan

I tried getting SH2 to run on Window 10 yesterday, but I got this shitty windows border around it that I can't seem to fix properly.

Reedirect

Running SH3 is a total nightmare for me and I'm not even asking that much. Just the FOV hack and DS4 support. While I can get DS4 to work at least somewhat properly via InputMapper, the FOV hack is a pain. I'm on Windows 10 and disp.ini is completely unfindable for me in local files, even if I already saved in-game. That probably has something to do with me getting an error about failing to save system data every time I start the game.

And I'm not even mentioning the white borders that appeared after W10.

PFD

The widescreen mod I mentioned above gets rid of the long transitions

Danielsan

You guys with issues playing the native PC port or PS2 emulated?
I have issues with both (since I own both). Tried running the PC port on friday, got this weird windows borders that I can't seem to get rid off. Ripped my PS2 (pal) copy and got it running. It looks and plays great for the most part, but when running I get this weird hitch every 20 seconds or so.

K' Dash

Guys, I'm trying SH2 on my PC with Windows 10, the game seems to run fine, but I can see the window frame, is there a way to get rid of it?

daxy

The Window frames from running these on Windows 10 are driving me crazy, I've tried everything ;_;

Halp.

Perhaps a stupid question, but have you tried pressing Alt+Enter? Or am I misunderstanding what borders you're talking about? Running in compatibility mode doesn't do anything either?

Persona7

Banned
My friend tried running SH3 in windows 8 compatibility and the border thing still happens. I wonder what is exactly going on. I would mess around with it but I really don't want to upgrade windows yet.

Top Bottom