• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

RkOwnage

Is there a post on Gaf for people who are considering getting into the franchise? If so, If I could be directed there I'll head that way.

But I have been considering trying out this franchise for a long time. If I do take the plunge, what does everyone recommend I get? Should I buy the first game, and look for some of the first series figurines before they're gone? Should I just buy Giants and start there?

Any input on where to start is very much appreciated!

Is there a post on Gaf for people who are considering getting into the franchise? If so, If I could be directed there I'll head that way.

But I have been considering trying out this franchise for a long time. If I do take the plunge, what does everyone recommend I get? Should I buy the first game, and look for some of the first series figurines before they're gone? Should I just buy Giants and start there?

Any input on where to start is very much appreciated!

The Starter pack from the 1st game should be cheap right now. It is a good start, and comes with 3 figures that can be used in both games.

You can buy more 5 figures (to complete one from each element) from either series 1 or reposed series 2 (Works in both games). It is not essencial but this way you will have access to all game areas.

Later you can get Giants. I recommend the Starter pack again, since it comes with 1 giant plus 2 normal figures. The Portal Owner Pack comes just with the giant (you can use the original portal with Giants) but the price difference does not make it worth, unless you find it cheap.

And then finally trying to grab some extra giants.

Of course assuming that you do not get mad at the process and decided to buy all the set, a decease quise frequently at this thread.

RkOwnage

The Starter pack from the 1st game should be cheap right now. It is a good start, and comes with 3 figures that can be used in both games.

You can buy more 5 figures (to complete one from each element) from either series 1 or reposed series 2 (Works in both games). It is not essencial but this way you will have access to all game areas.

Later you can get Giants. I recommend the Starter pack again, since it comes with 1 giant plus 2 normal figures. The Portal Owner Pack comes just with the giant (you can use the original portal with Giants) but the price difference does not make it worth, unless you find it cheap.

And then finally trying to grab some extra giants.

Of course assuming that you do not get mad at the process and decided to buy all the set, a decease quise frequently at this thread.

Many thanks for the advice, I am pretty OCD when I collect stuff and end up trying to get it all, but my main goal for now will be getting the OG starter pack, and one of each of the elements for advancing in the game. But I am sure I'll end up collecting as many as I can!
It seems like a fun game, and I like the concept, but then again, how long before Activision runs it into the ground?

markatisu

TRU is having a super sale on these guys today and tomorrow if you can find the coupon in your local ads. $4.98 for any single figure (no Giants)

BooJoh

TRU is having a super sale on these guys today and tomorrow if you can find the coupon in your local ads. $4.98 for any single figure (no Giants)

This is most likely only for "Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure" figures, meaning only series 1 characters from the first game. At least that's how most of TRU's singles sales have been worded lately.

Zing

Banned
I'd suggest one of each element and stick to that. If I could do it all over again, I'd have only two of each element, one for each player. Even after playing through the game four times, the vast majority of my characters are not fully levelled up.

Just don't look in the "accolades" section, and any OCD tendencies should be alleviated. It's only an XP boost anyway, which is totally unnecessary. The XP boosts make you overpowered.

U2NUMB

Nabbed a Legendary Stealth Elf today at TRU... also anyone here collect the cards that they sell on their own? I picked up an 18 pack for 6 bucks at TRU which is less than half of what they go for on Amazon. Very good quality.

Many thanks for the advice, I am pretty OCD when I collect stuff and end up trying to get it all, but my main goal for now will be getting the OG starter pack, and one of each of the elements for advancing in the game. But I am sure I'll end up collecting as many as I can!
It seems like a fun game, and I like the concept, but then again, how long before Activision runs it into the ground?

Be very afraid.. I am like you with OCD and collecting and 3 months ago I picked up the original Skylanders. Over a grand later I have more than I know what to do with. I believe I may have a problem.

Zing

Banned
I would have never bought the full series 1 if I didn't have a girlfriend and daughter to join me. One person using 32 characters is overkill. Hell, it's overkill for four players.

Chris FOM

I started Giants with my 2 1/2-year-old daughter (who can't play but loves swapping the characters etc.) and ran into a really weird bug on my Wii U version. Playing with the gamepad but on a TV, the voices all cut out. Music played, as did background voices, but all the main voice acting was completely silent. Switch gameplay to the gamepad and it worked fine. I'm routing HDMI to my TV and then using the TV's optical audio out to my receiver. And idea what's going wrong?

GameMaster78

Neo Member
That happened to me. You have to make sure your sound is output to Stereo and not surround, in the Settings of the Wii U itself.

Make sure it's not set to surround.

I found this out, after I moved my Wii U from my bedroom, with surround sound, to my TV in the living room, which does have surround, but not through HDMI, so I connected it straight to the TV and I was missing the voices.

ElNino

So has anyone heard any news on wave 3 characters yet? Eyebrawl, Thumpback, Ninjini and Hotdog to be specific. My son has them on his Santa wishlist and he's yet to really miss anything up to this point, ha.

BooJoh

I think Hot Dog is supposed to be in a triple pack with Zap and another arena, with his single due in Wave 4. I don't know when to expect either wave though.

Sora_N

Same here!!!

Anyone recomends Giants on 3ds? I enjoyed the first skylanders on 3ds, does Giants worth it?

If you liked the first one, I think you'll enjoy the Giants version. I think it improves on some things. I liked the original 3DS one but not enough to buy the Giants version, also the exclusive Punch Pop Fizz is not as attractive as the Dark Spyro.

BooJoh

Giants on 3DS is good. The overall game feels a bit shorter than the first one, but the levels themselves feel a bit bigger and slightly more like the console levels, but still have the platforming elements. You still can't earn gold on figures, and their abilities are based on level, with a mix of abilities from their two console trees for most characters.

Personally I got the starter pack for Punch Pop Fizz, but he's one of my favorite new additions, so if you have the first 3DS portal and don't want him you can just go with the portal owner's pack.

EDIT: And best of all, the Hektore chasing you down mechanic is gone. Once you clear a level you can play a completely optional time trial version of the level, but it doesn't force it on you.

Sora_N

Giants on 3DS is good. The overall game feels a bit shorter than the first one, but the levels themselves feel a bit bigger and slightly more like the console levels, but still have the platforming elements. You still can't earn gold on figures, and their abilities are based on level, with a mix of abilities from their two console trees for most characters.

Personally I got the starter pack for Punch Pop Fizz, but he's one of my favorite new additions, so if you have the first 3DS portal and don't want him you can just go with the portal owner's pack.

EDIT: And best of all, the Hektore chasing you down mechanic is gone. Once you clear a level you can play a completely optional time trial version of the level, but it doesn't force it on you.

Is Pop Fizz still the same as the regular one? I heard people say he is lightcore but I'm pretty sure they were mistaken.

BooJoh

Punch Pop Fizz is exactly like the regular one except red. Lightcore Pop Fizz is blue and in a different pose, and not out yet.

Sora_N

I kind of want to the the Blue Tree Rex but I honestly don't think I can sell the Blue Wii to make enough back for it to be worth going through the trouble.

RkOwnage

Alright, made my first purchase. I bought the original starter set for 360 on Amazon.com

For now, I am going to buy one of each element, and see where I go from there. I am sure if I get addicted I'll go on a mad hunt for all of them, but for now, I'll start simple.

goldenpp72

I have a question thay may have been answered already, but last year I bought the 3ds and 360 versions of the original, and was going to do the same this year, but I see no way to not end up with duplicate items? Is there something i'm missing?

I have a question thay may have been answered already, but last year I bought the 3ds and 360 versions of the original, and was going to do the same this year, but I see no way to not end up with duplicate items? Is there something i'm missing?

Depends on what you want to buy.

You can get the portal owners packs which don't come with a portal and only includes the Tree Rex figure OR you can buy the full starter packs which come with the portal, 2 regular figures that cannot be purchased individually and Tree Rex - this option is the better buy regardless of getting multiple unneeded portals.

Wave 2 has hit Toys R Us, but supply appears to be patchy. Amazon, ASDA and Argos have been selling Hot Head, but that's all I've seen so far.

BooJoh

I'm guessing Activision just decided the games would sell regardless of whether you get duplicates or not. If you buy the 3DS and one console version (regardless of which edition) you will end up with a duplicate Tree Rex, and if you buy the starter packs for the other characters, you'll also end up with two S2 Cynders. Why they did this is beyond me, I can only guess it was a greedy decision made by higher-ups in the company.

Katzii

I managed to get ahold of Lightcore Jet-Vac at Tesco, but that's literally all I've seen. I forget which characters are even in Wave 2. I know I want Flashwing, Sprocket, Hot Head, Sonic Boom and Double Trouble. I'm only in the market for Lightcores and new characters, but the latter two I can't resist on. Just can't FIND the blasted things!

Zing

Banned
Actually, I suspect the average consumer doesn't buy multiple versions of the same game. Yes, we know that the 3DS version is a different game, but how many parents outside of the hardcore gaming bubble are buying duplicates?

Is anybody else having trouble finding Hothead in Canada? I managed to find Flashwing and Sprocket no problem, but I haven't even seen a single Hothead anywhere.

U2NUMB

Is anybody else having trouble finding Hothead in Canada? I managed to find Flashwing and Sprocket no problem, but I haven't even seen a single Hothead anywhere.

They are super rare in the US also. I have only seen them at Target once in a great while and normally they have all of 1 of him.

BooJoh

I got my Hot Head when they popped up on Amazon shortly after TRU got them. They're only available from third party sellers at inflated prices now though.

ElNino

We (my son and I) found one at EB and have since seen one at Walmart but otherwise that has been it for Hothead.

Zing

Banned
It's probably the most rare for now, but my local Walmart (Newmarket Ontario) had five of them the last time I was there (a few days ago).

Sora_N

I got my Hot Head when they popped up on Amazon shortly after TRU got them. They're only available from third party sellers at inflated prices now though.

I found a Hot Head on Saturday, but I work at TRU. Someone returned one (lol wtf) and I just bought it.

SCORE!!! My daughter and I were at TRU today and there were 2 Hotheads on the rack. There were plenty of the other figures though. It's nice to see that, with the exception of some characters, the supply problems of the first game aren't repeating themselves. It's also nice to see other merchandise available. We were also going to grab a pack of the SG cards for $2.99, but then I noticed that there was a cool little album/booklet thingy to hold the cards that was packaged with 2 packs of cards for $9.99, so I figured that was a pretty good value and got that instead. The cards are pretty cool and my daughter really loved organizing them in the album.

Zing

Banned
I stopped in my local Walmart and they were overflowing with stock. Probably 15 of each giant, including Hot Head. The same or more of each single, including Lightcore JetVac and glow-in-the-dark Sonic Boom. I thought about buying a few Hot Head to sell since everyone seems to have trouble finding them, but then I noticed they are only selling for $2-3 over retail (after tax) on Ebay, so there's no point.

I haven't seen the cards here. Maybe they aren't in Canada.

Zing

Banned
If any of you guys are playing Lost Islands, the Adventure Ship is 50% off now (only 200 gems!).
Offer expires Dec 17th, 2012.

Even at 200 gems, it isn't worth the cost. Your characters will quickly reach maximum level without it. I have almost every character enabled (missing 4 legendaries) and all of my characters are level eight or higher, the highest level you need to unlock all of the adventures. Five of them are level 10, which is the max level.

Those gems are better put toward the high energy fields. The gold to energy conversion rate is the bottleneck in this game. The aim is to unlock new islands and keep the elemental shrines going at all times.

I stopped in my local Walmart and they were overflowing with stock. Probably 15 of each giant, including Hot Head. The same or more of each single, including Lightcore JetVac and glow-in-the-dark Sonic Boom. I thought about buying a few Hot Head to sell since everyone seems to have trouble finding them, but then I noticed they are only selling for $2-3 over retail (after tax) on Ebay, so there's no point.

I haven't seen the cards here. Maybe they aren't in Canada.
No, this was in Canada. It was a TRU in the Niagara region. They had them in a section along side other cards like Pokemon as well as well as at the checkout registers.

RkOwnage

I am missing the following from the original set:

VooDood
Terrafin - Adventure Pack
Ghost Roaster - Adventure Pack
Lightning Rod
Whamshell
Zap

if anyone has any they'd be willing to sell, let me know!

Seemingly confirmed that Wave 3 streets 12/23 per a post over on Reddit:

pGELa.jpg

Top Bottom