• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

BooJoh

There really is no substitute for the console games. Even the 3DS games, while good games in their own right, don't really hold a candle to the console games and the whole idea of hot-swapping characters as you go, etc.

The iOS games, AFAIK, are all pretty standard low-budget minigame style bite-sized mobile games.

Zing

Banned
Cloud Patrol is pretty fun. It is an arcade style game. Entering your figures' web codes unlock them in the game, and each figure has a special ability as well as elemental bonuses.

I've just played Lost Islands for about 20 minutes and it is interesting. It's essentially "Skylanders Farmville". Again, web codes from your retail figures unlock them in the game, and you get bonuses for certain elements on certain days.

Re: Giants

I gave the starter pack, battle pack, Bouncer, Crusher, and Fright Rider to my daughter for her 7th birthday two weeks ago. We've been pretty busy, so we've only had one play session so far. We reached chapter six on medium difficulty, and it is about the same difficulty as the first game. Which is to say, it's too damn easy, especially when most of your characters are already level 10. It was fun, but not quite as gripping as when we first played Spyro's Adventure.

Today, I finally had a chance to sit down and play the game with my girlfriend. I started the game on hard, and it is noticeably more difficult. We lost a few Skylanders when we reached the battle with the three Evil Stealth Elves. We finished Chapter three and called it a night, but plan to play again tomorrow night. The extra difficulty really increases the level of excitement.

The heroic challenges are also significantly more difficult. I'm not sure if "hard" affects the heroics, but I was failing even on the rehashed heroics with high level characters. I had a lot of trouble trying to get Crusher through a few, since he moves so slow.

I'm giving my daughter Hot Head and probably Chill and Pop Fizz tomorrow. Then, two weekends from now, I will give her Swarm, Flashwing, and Sprocket. I figure that Eye-Brawl and Hot Dog should be close by that time.

There is strong evidence that Eye-Brawl will be released, and we know another Battle Pack is coming with Zap and the Scorpion Striker (catapult). Speculation is that Hot Dog will be in the Battle Pack, since fire opposes water. It was Life vs. Undead in the first battle pack, so the idea has merit.

Re: Series 2

I have bought all the triple-packs so far in case I wanted to dive into collecting series 2, but I just can't rationalize it. The "Wow Pows" are cool, but I simply do not want to expend the time gathering the coins to upgrade my collection all over again. If the game had some sort of transfer feature, to transfer the data from a series 1 to a series 2, they would have my money. I'd buy the full set. I really like the new poses.

Coldsnap

This stuff is obviously not for me.. but I have a aching curiosity to check it out. How can I get into the skylanders game with the cheapest amount of investment? I have xnox 360 ps3 and pc.

This stuff is obviously not for me.. but I have a aching curiosity to check it out. How can I get into the skylanders game with the cheapest amount of investment? I have xnox 360 ps3 and pc.

Buy the Xbox Starter Pack for Skylanders Spyro's Adventure. That's probably the cheapest and will give you everything you need to play through the campaign in the first game.

Katzii

Agreed. You don't need all of the characters to beat either of the games at their minimum. To get 100%, you will need one of each element, but you can just buy a Starter Pack (with a portal) to play through the game.

Went by Walmart today, and found a Camo and Warnado! Im pretty sure the only one Im missing from Series 1 is Whamshell at this point.

Still no Flashwing, Sprocket or Hot Head.

Sora_N

Went by Walmart today, and found a Camo and Warnado! Im pretty sure the only one Im missing from Series 1 is Whamshell at this point.

Still no Flashwing, Sprocket or Hot Head.

Congrats, sorry I didn't get to look. I was going to go today, but glad you found them yourself. :)

Zing

Banned
Canada finally got the wave 2 triple-packs. I snagged them both. I've decided that the random series 2 I am accumulating will stay unused until a future date, when I will play through the entire game from scratch using only one figure from each element.

Chance encounter at a Target:

69175_10101539326673864_1178960833_n.jpg

I found a Hot Head! :D

They had plenty of Wave 2 too, including Sprocket and Flashwing.

The only ones I'm missing now are Lightcore Jet-Vac and Legendary Stealth Elf.... That is, until Wave 3 starts coming out. Lulz.

Katzii

Finished the PS3 game yesterday. I have to say that the end battle felt a little more anticlimactic compared to the first game, but they at least emphasise all the post-game stuff there is to do!

Probably will just restart the adventure all over again, myself. Had a great time.

I dont get this....this game is like the worst possible situation in terms of DLC...and people are eating it up

Yep, pretty gross. And the game isn't even that good.

This game basically embodies why people go into creative arts in the first place.

What little kid does not pretend their toys are alive?

I mean, fuck. Did you guys think Toy Story was bad?

It's a fucking genius game.

Zing

Banned
My daughter and her friend spent over an hour last night and another hour this morning just playing with all the figures. Zap and Sonic Boom got married.

Zing

Banned
It had already been listed for at least 8 hours by the time you wrote that post. I assume hundreds were bought in that time frame. It remains to be seen if all orders get filled. I also noticed that some people were selling the URL to the amazon page on Ebay. Just the URL! I sincerely hope no one paid for that.

I hope the series 2 Prism Break is released soon. It's the last one I need for my "dream team". I realized that, between the battle packs and the triple packs I have purchased, I have one of each series 2 element except earth. Fortunately, most of them are some of my favourite characters. I'm going to use one of each element and play through both games only using those eight, and no others. I wanted to do this in the first game, but it would have required resetting a bunch of my figures, and also I felt weird keeping figures away from my daughter. Now, the series 2 figures allow me to do this guilt-free.

Sonic Boom (air)
Chop Chop (undead)
Stump Smash (life)
Prism Break (earth)
Ignitor (fire)
Gill Grunt (water)
Double Trouble (magic)
Trigger Happy (tech)

The side-effect of this is that I realize I will only be 12 figures away from having a complete set. If they release more triple packs, I may find it hard to resist.

OK, so I'm totally new to this Skylanders thing and have the Wii U version on preorder. I didn't see a "Beginners guide" in the OP, so I hope you don't mind me asking this here.

1. The toys come out at set dates, right? Where do we find out what toys come out when?

2. Who are the "Preferred" characters? I know everyone loves Stealth Elf, I want Thumpback based on name alone, and Jeff Gerstmann says ranged > melee, but anything else to consider?

3. Do I need a full set of Giants or am I OK with the giant that comes with the game and regular guys for the other elements?

Thanks for helping me out with this, guys. I passed on the first game but am all in for the second.

OK, so I'm totally new to this Skylanders thing and have the Wii U version on preorder. I didn't see a "Beginners guide" in the OP, so I hope you don't mind me asking this here.

1. The toys come out at set dates, right? Where do we find out what toys come out when?

2. Who are the "Preferred" characters? I know everyone loves Stealth Elf, I want Thumpback based on name alone, and Jeff Gerstmann says ranged > melee, but anything else to consider?

3. Do I need a full set of Giants or am I OK with the giant that comes with the game and regular guys for the other elements?

Thanks for helping me out with this, guys. I passed on the first game but am all in for the second.

Figures do come out on set dates, generally I use these threads on GAF and the DarkSpyro.com forums to get insight on when figures are coming out.

My favorite character is Flameslinger, but there are quite a few really solid characters: Gill Grunt is really strong, Double Trouble can be really strong, Sprocket and Flashwing seem to be some of the strongest characters from Giants.

You do not need anything more than what comes with the starter pack to play the game. That said, there are 8 different elements in the game, each with corresponding characters. You cannot unlock every area of the game without having at least 1 character from each element.

Figures do come out on set dates, generally I use these threads on GAF and the DarkSpyro.com forums to get insight on when figures are coming out.

My favorite character is Flameslinger, but there are quite a few really solid characters: Gill Grunt is really strong, Double Trouble can be really strong, Sprocket and Flashwing seem to be some of the strongest characters from Giants.

You do not need anything more than what comes with the starter pack to play the game. That said, there are 8 different elements in the game, each with corresponding characters. You cannot unlock every area of the game without having at least 1 character from each element.

Thanks, I picked up six figures at Target today (Had some extra money and was bored before work) and I think I have all eight elements covered with my starter pack guys:

Prism Break (He looks AWESOME!), Sprocket, Chill, Double Trouble, Hex, and Flameslinger.

I should note that I have to have all eight elements when I start this game. I hate it when stuff is locked out in games.

Edit: N00b question, but my Prism Break is Lightcore. That just means he lights up when on the portal, or do I also get an in-game benefit from him?

Double D

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm curious about how co-op is going to work with the Wii U. I got a Wii U for my kids for Xmas, and planned on getting them Skylanders Giants for it. Can the second player use the Pro Controller, or do they have to use the Wiimote? If it's the latter I may just keep the 360 version I already purchased (and remains unopened).

djlr181

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm curious about how co-op is going to work with the Wii U. I got a Wii U for my kids for Xmas, and planned on getting them Skylanders Giants for it. Can the second player use the Pro Controller, or do they have to use the Wiimote? If it's the latter I may just keep the 360 version I already purchased (and remains unopened).

The game supports the Pro Controller. Check out this interview to learn more about Wii U version.

Zing

Banned
I bought one to resell, as I have zero interest in a gold variant. I live in Ontario, Canada. What sort of "help" did you want?

Zing

Banned
When we first bought Skylanders last year, my daughter and her friend were rather rough with them, bending everyone's wings and arms. After a while, I noticed that some of the figures were starting to crack at the joints due to this and had them stop. Unfortunately, poor Drobot just had one of his wings finally break off after a year of use. I filed a claim with Activision, explaining what happened and they sent out a replacement with no questions asked. Great service.

A similar thing happened with Hex last year. Her arm broke off after being bent too many times. Again, I received a replacement without hesitation and without having to return the original figure.

I was surprised to see that some of the new figures (e.g. Chill) appear to be very prone to breakage. I still allow my daughter and her friends to play with the figures as much as they like, but I have given strict instructions to not bend anything.

Zing

Banned
https://support.activision.com

You will need to create an account and "add your game", then go under the warranty & returns section. After you have submitted your claim, it will mention the process to return your item, but you only have to actually return your broken figure if it is Legendary.

C-Drive

I'm thinking of migrating over to a Wii U copy of Skylanders eventually from my 360 one. I'm planning on taking the figures that come with the Wii version and re-selling those my 360 copy.

Reading the thread, it seemed there were some things that the figures themselves didn't keep track of that you lose going from one console to another. Is there a list of "what's lost" or some kind of pointers on keeping the most progress on a character you can?

Zing

Banned
Nothing is lost from the figure. All stats, upgrades, completed heroics, and even the currently worn hat are carried on the figure itself. The data saved strictly in the save game file is what you would lose. This is progress in the story, unlocked hats, arenas, and so on.

Giants is fun so far. One thing that bothers me is the transition from ship to a level. In Spyro's Adventure, the game shows you climbing aboard a balloon and flying away, or being shot out of a cannon, or crossing a bridge. In Giants, there is no transition at all. One moment you are on the ship, the next moment you are on land. Flynn says "get in the robot and I will set you down", but the screen immediately freezes and loads the new level. Despite the robot flying alongside the ship, they didn't bother to have an animation of you jumping into the robot. In general, everything seems a lot more hurried.

I tested out putting the Pirate Ship on the portal and it doesn't even have an animation for that. It simply brings up a loading screen that asks if you want to go to the Pirate Seas level. Same for all the other adventure items.

I received my Gold Flameslinger. That's pretty fast considering it came from Amazon USA to me in Ontario within three days, with no customs fees and only $9 shipping cost. I guess I'll leave it in my closet for a few weeks and see how well they are selling. I enjoy the art on the figures themselves and my daughter loves playing with them, so a solid gold Skylander is just ugly to us.

C-Drive

Thanks Zing.

I knew the unlocks and save progress would be gone, but I'm not losing much there. I was mainly thinking gold/money was not being carried by the figure and would be lost, but wasn't sure if there were other things. So I was considering going and buying a bunch of upgrades I've held back on before moving to the Wii U version.

Rootbeer

Banned
The video above claims that Skylanders Giants runs at 1080p on the Wii U... that's impressive since not even Super Mario Bros. U is 1080p!

BooJoh

The video above claims that Skylanders Giants runs at 1080p on the Wii U... that's impressive since not even Super Mario Bros. U is 1080p!

Well, assuming it's reusing assets from the PS3 and 360 versions, bumping up the resolution might have been trivial with the extra power under the hood.

Katzii

They also have some real bad issues with capitalisation.

I have to say though that if I were in the US, I would take up that offer easily.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skylanders-...low-Clear-More-read-description-/230880208767

GameMaster selling off part of his collection? Say it ain't so!

Still, at the asking price that's $125 per figure, so I guess someone's probably making mad profit if this sells.

Sadly, it is. I paid out of the wazoo for those variants. Infact, I can foolishly say I spent 1250 for the 3 GITD + Pearl Hex alone.

Had I got them for normal price, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, they dropped the ball on the way they handle these variants. Everyone I know at every local store I frequent for Skylanders, has always told me tough luck when it comes to variants like the new Rock variants. They have flat out told me they're unboxed in the back, and any found go to employees.

If I can't have them all, I don't want ANY of them. I have given the idea that they should be released like Marvel Universe releases their variants. They're hard to find, only for those who don't look. They make enough that employees don't care to hold them back, but they still feel obscure.

But, in the end, I spent over 3000 to have all of those variants, and it got me thinking that's insane. I don't mind spending that much - ironically - on Skylanders merch, but that merch is all at retail price. 3000 for 120 dollars worth of Skylanders stuff was foolish on my part.

I am not getting rid of anything else, however, and there's no gaurentee it will sell. However, I don't forsee myself getting help with any upcoming convention exclusives, or getting the newest Rock variants, so why bother trying for the impossible, when I can at least get back 2000 of my 3000 investment and never think twice about the impossible?

I will still collect Skylanders as I have now for the past year or more, but I can't see myself going after treasure hunt variants, because there is not even a 1% chance of getting them where I live. I live in a state where everyone unpacks Skylanders in the back, so they can remove the variants, buy them on their lunch break, and sell them later (via Ebay or Craigslist).

My collection - in my eyes - is still just as vast without the variants. I won't be getting rid of my GITD Fright Rider variant, though, as it shows up ingame as "Special." I also received my Bronze Flameslinger from Amazon as well. I won't be getting rid of that, or my GITD Cynder, as they show up "Special" ingame. Sadly, though, Rock Zook also shows up as "Special," but I am tired of paying 150 for each variant, because they won't make enough that employees won't care to grab them all before they even hit the floor.

I guess what I am saying is, for what I have bought with 3000 in terms of Skylanders, at retail price, is far more than a scant 15 figures (other 5 were gotten for free or bought at cost). That's the stuff I don't mind spending 3000 dollars on. But, when you HAVE to pay 3000 dollars for 15 figures, because you can never find them, or you can't attend conventions, that's where money isn't well spent.

Even without the variants, my collection is still super-massive in my eyes. I did reserve 3 copies of the upcoming Skylanders Battlegrounds Starter Packs, to go with the 8 copies of the first game, 12 copies (as of tomorrow's release of Giants on Wii U) of Giants, and 4 Nintendo Wii Skylanders bundles (for 4 Gnarlys) I own.

On another note, I did add some new stuff to my collection. Target.com has their exclusive Lightcore Triple Pack instock. I bought that. I got my Legendary Stealth Elfs in, after doing a trade with someone in Canada, and I will soon delete post 305 in order to upload more current pics.

Back to the variants. As of now, they aren't sold. I am only selling them once. If I don't sell them, I will never try to sell them again. But, no matter what, 3000 dollars for 15 figures wasn't worth it. If the damage is done, it's done. But, I will never fall for paying those prices again.

I do hope Acti/TFB will see there is money to be made on treasure hunt variants. The easier they make them to find, the more money they make off of people who don't mind double-dipping.

BooJoh

They have flat out told me they're unboxed in the back, and any found go to employees.
That's the truly sad part. I'm sure when TFB decided to make variants, they were envisioning kids going to the store and being excited to find one of their favorite characters in a different color. And I'm sure it happened from time-to-time, but since last Christmas I'd wager most of them went straight to ebay.

Sora_N

I picked up the 3-pack with Flashwing at TRU (Canada), they were on sale last night. :) I really like Double Trouble's new sculpt, amazing to me even though I don't like the character that much. Gill Grunt is way more expressive too. The Flashwing is for my gf, but with sale + staff discount, the 3pack was cheaper than buying 2 singles so I'm glad I picked it up.

Also found LC Jet Vac, now just need to wait for next wave! :)

Zing

Banned
Everyone I know at every local store I frequent for Skylanders, has always told me tough luck when it comes to variants like the new Rock variants. They have flat out told me they're unboxed in the back, and any found go to employees.
This is clearly not the case at every store. There have been plenty of posts at darkspyro and other forums from people who randomly found rock variants just sitting out in the open at Walmart and such.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered the Wii U version for $10 off at TRU. (Thanks pre-BF deals!)

GameMaster: Even though that is a lot of money that you've spent, something tells me that you'll be very unhappy if you got rid of the variants. Yes, you've got a massive collection even without them, but it's the variants that make your collection unique. We all sometimes spend ridiculous amounts of money on our hobbies, but if it makes you happy, then it makes you happy. You are obviously passionate about this franchise, so selling your variants, to me, seems like a knee-jerk reaction to the realization that you've just spent a small fortune. But it's your passion, and that amount may be worth it in the long run. If you sell them, I think you'll regret it later. I don't know, that's just my two cents. I'd lose faith in the world if you sold your variant collection. That would be like Imelda Marcos selling her shoes. Next thing you know, George Lucas is selling Star Wars! Crazy, I know!

Korosenai

My mom is thinking about getting this for my little cousins (along with two extra figures and an extra giant) and im just wondering something.

Can you finish this game (beat every mission) with like four different skylanders or do they block certain parts of the game off and force you to use different elements? If they do block parts of the game off, would they be ok with eventually just owning one of every element and be able to finish the game then?

Top Bottom