• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

Krabboss

I feel like the designs of the new regular Skylanders are incredibly crappy, really. The humanoid ones just look like garbage. And the pun names and designs have always been sub-Pokemon.

Anyway, as somebody who kind of enjoyed the original and thinks the sequel is rushed and lazy, I worry they'll continue to plop out crappy games and hope the toy buying droves keep supporting it. That mightn't be the case - it's possible fatigue is setting in already. Who knows, though.

Fantomex

I feel like the designs of the new regular Skylanders are incredibly crappy, really. The humanoid ones just look like garbage. And the pun names and designs have always been sub-Pokemon.

Anyway, as somebody who kind of enjoyed the original and thinks the sequel is rushed and lazy, I worry they'll continue to plop out crappy games and hope the toy buying droves keep supporting it. That mightn't be the case - it's possible fatigue is setting in already. Who knows, though.

While I respect your point of view, I disagree with the sequel criticism. This game has been gimmicky and a moneysink since it began. So why wouldn't it continue? Activision would of course rush a sequel out, they own Call of Duty and Tony Hawk! A lot of us knew this from the start and really enjoy the game for what it is. A mindless but fun game to play with friends and our kids. I think Jet Vac and Granite Crusher look awesome. Skylanders caught my eye just for the sculpts, to be able to play them was an added bonus. Do you see where I'm coming from? I'd like to know your opinion.

A.R.K

can someone please help me out. My son wants a Skylander game. Should I go with this one or the last one? which is better? Of course I can get the last one cheaper too which helps (but is the new one much better that I can overlook the cost factor?). If I buy the last one, would the new figurines work with it? OR they only work in the new game?

Thanks

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Krabboss was such a crab. No wonder he got banned. Anyway, back to Skylanders!

@A.R.K: I would suggest starting with Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. It can be found for less than $40 and comes with the three "main" figures (Spyro, Trigger Happy, Gill Grunt) and a wireless Portal of Power, the place where you put your Skylander figurine onto. You don't have to buy every character to enjoy either game, but you do need one of each element to 100% the first game.

Spyro's Adventure has 32 regular Skylanders (4 of each element, not counting variants).

With Giants, you get:
  • 8 new Skylanders (1 of each element)
  • 8 new Giant Skylanders based on lore from the original game (twice the size of regular Skylanders, can do really cool things in-game)
  • Series 2 Figures of existing characters (get new Wow Pow attacks exclusive to Series 2 figures ONLY)
  • LightCore Figures of new and existing characters (actual figure lights up, drop a powerful Smart Bomb when summoned)

Basically, Series 1 and Series 2 figures for the original 32 characters work with either game.

Here's a handy figure compatibility chart:
sgcompatibility.png

It can be a real money sink, especially once you see the cool Mega Bloks sets, but it's more than worth the investment. It's rare to find such a unique concept in gaming that is actually fun to play.

More information can be found in the first post. You might also want to direct your questions to GameMaster78, our resident expert on all things Skylanders.

One look at his famous collection and you'll see why.

The official Skylanders website also has a great section for parents.

Don't forget to print the awesome poster!

Fantomex

@ A.R.K.

The best bet is to buy the new Skylanders Giants Starter Pack it comes with 3 figures and the portal which the figures sit on, it is on a cable, which means you not having to constantly purchase batteries. If you get Skylanders Giants, all the new and old figures will work. Where as the original Skylanders games can only use some figures. Besides, the price break on the new one is not worth it on gameplay and battery costs alone. The graphics on the sequel are slightly improved as well as the extras such as battle arenas and collectible items. Also, you don't want your kid being the one with the "Old version" :)

Lan_97

I have to strongly disagree with two points there. The levels feel smaller and are definitely less interesting. The elemental gate areas are epecially lame. The writing also feels much more tame and less coherent.
Overall elemental gates are about the same or longer. There are more of them, so there are more instances of gates just opening one room, but there are usually a couple longer challenges to equal the two gates/level (I actually don't remember if this is the case) of the first.

I think the characters are better this time around (mainly Emit, Wilikins and Drill-X), otherwise it's pretty similar to me. I really don't feel strongly for the the story/writing in either game.

Matchew

I dont get this....this game is like the worst possible situation in terms of DLC...and people are eating it up
Because it's awesome and while I would hate for all games to be like this, at least your getting something other then a DLC code that one day won't be there anymore. Here my kid gets to play with the toys and in the game. It's awesome and so far these toys have had so much more value over the COD map packs I bought.

TheGrue

Looks like the scalpers definitely focus on the new characters. I refreshed on Amazon and saw that they had 7 Hot Head figures for retail price and when I clicked on it to go put it in my basket, all 7 were gone. Three packs with the new character in each are still around, but singles for the new characters are not. I will do just like I did with the original Skylanders and never pay more than retail value. Took me longer to get my collection complete, but a man has to have principles. ;)

Zing

Banned
I bought all my original Skylanders for retail price at local stores, except Whirlwind which was not available in Canada until 2012. My girlfriend's family lives in Kansas, so they bought us one at Target. I also bought almost all of my figures in the three-packs, which were $20 retail back then. Saved quite a bit of money that way.

I haven't noticed any scalping around here, at least with wave 1. The stores have dwindling stock, which is expected. I still see the new figures and Giants. I was able to pick up all the legendaries on day three. We will see how it goes this weekend when wave 2 and legendary Stealth Elf hits here.

My collection so far:

Mikor

I dont get this....this game is like the worst possible situation in terms of DLC...and people are eating it up

You know, when Spyro's Adventure first released, I would have backed this up 100% - it really did feel like a "physical DLC" situation. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that this is PREFERRED - the figurines are collectible, have a physical and appreciated value, and work with the entire series as opposed to a single entry. A call of duty map pack is $15 - I get a small selection of maps that I get to enjoy for a limited time on a single title. A new Skylander figurine is $10, right in line with other hobbyist miniatures - and the more titles of the series your family has/plays, the more value you extract from each figurine (not to mention the in-game benefits of having new characters/ways to play through the game). I firmly believe DLC sales would see an overall increase in adoption rates if physical goods were offered alongside them, now.

Zing

Banned

The worst possible situation? $10 for a cool figurine that I can take to others' homes and use regardless of what video game platform they own? That is the "worst possible situation"? $10 for a figurine that my daughter has spent hours of playtime with her friends, without even playing the actual video game?

At my daughter's school, kids are actually bringing the figures to school and playing with them. I don't remember how much GI Joe figures were 25 years ago, but I do know they were basically the same thing except they didn't store individual character stats from a video game or light up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kind of disappointed that Camo and Sunburn got shafted on Series 2. The dragons were my favorite characters in the first game.

And on that same note, I'm surprised that none of the giants were dragons.

RobbieNick

As I was walking in to work today, I just passed by our Skylanders display and they had ONE Flashwing single pack available. Score! She's a pretty awesome character too.

ElNino

The worst possible situation? $10 for a cool figurine that I can take to others' homes and use regardless of what video game platform they own? That is the "worst possible situation"? $10 for a figurine that my daughter has spent hours of playtime with her friends, without even playing the actual video game?

At my daughter's school, kids are actually bringing the figures to school and playing with them. I don't remember how much GI Joe figures were 25 years ago, but I do know they were basically the same thing except they didn't store individual character stats from a video game or light up.
I agree, my son has got more play time (both in-game and out) out of each of the characters from the first game than I have in many full games I've bought.

We don't let my son bring his characters to school though as he is only in grade one and he would likely "lend" a character to someone he thinks is a friend only to have it disappear (it's already happened with other toys). We do however let him bring his figures to his friends/cousins houses when he goes there so he can play with his own characters.

TheGrue

I really wish Amazon had a notification system in place like newegg does for when items come back in stock.

Yeah, although it might be more complicated for Amazon as they have other sellers in their system. The figures haven't been out of stock thanks to sellers buying them and then marking them up. I checked Amazon this morning and they had the last Wave 2 I needed, Jet Vac, in stock for normal price, so I bought. The ones I bought yesterday have not shipped yet, I am assuming because they come from the east coast somewhere. Originally I was supposed to get them tomorrow, but now it shows Friday and the Jet Vac I just ordered shows Monday...this is with free Prime 2-day shipping.

BooJoh

The ones I bought yesterday have not shipped yet, I am assuming because they come from the east coast somewhere. Originally I was supposed to get them tomorrow, but now it shows Friday and the Jet Vac I just ordered shows Monday...this is with free Prime 2-day shipping.

I'm not sure what the deal is with those figures specifically. I ordered Flashwing, Sprocket, and Hot Head all early Monday morning, and at that time they said expected arrival (with Prime 2-day) was Friday, and they still say that. I ordered LC Jet-Vac last week and it arrived Monday. Fed-Ex crushed the hell out of the shipping box but luckily the figure was intact.

EDIT - my Jet-Vac shipped from Reno, NV if that means anything in regards to the other wave 2s. The others just say "Shipping Soon."

BooJoh

Yeah, I just now got a text from Amazon saying my Flashwing and Sprocket have shipped and will arrive on the 1st.

bumpkin

Man, they got me again! I went to GameStop tonight to show my wife the Wii U kiosk, and on our way out, I shot a curious glance at their Giants display. It was then I spotted a three-pack containing Gill Grunt, Flashwing and Double Trouble. I gave my wife a sad face and pointed, and she said "Ok. But promise me you won't buy anymore for a little while." :)

GameMaster78

Neo Member
If I had one complaint with Giants, is that it needs more chapters.

I hope Skylanders 3 has around 22 chapters, plus new Adventure Packs. I always thought it was going to be cool collecting a lot of magical items over the course of this franchise's life, but I am missing them in this game.

I just hope on the third game, they make it as long as the first game, and I hope they bring out new Adventure Packs while allowing old Adventure Packs, characters, and items to still be used.

Giants tells a better story, in my eyes, but it felt a bit short. I want a longer game than the first.

If I had one complaint with Giants, is that it needs more chapters.

I hope Skylanders 3 has around 22 chapters, plus new Adventure Packs. I always thought it was going to be cool collecting a lot of magical items over the course of this franchise's life, but I am missing them in this game.

I just hope on the third game, they make it as long as the first game, and I hope they bring out new Adventure Packs while allowing old Adventure Packs, characters, and items to still be used.

Giants tells a better story, in my eyes, but it felt a bit short. I want a longer game than the first.

This is the problem with yearly franchises. They do not have enough developing time.

Draco

Anyone else's Light Core Drobot not working right? When he appears in the game, the announcer doesn't say, "Light Core!" Xbox version.

I like that the new levels seem longer than the last game, so don't mind overall fewer chapters. However, the new elemental gates are hit or miss. For example, in Rumble Town, the Undead area is very short, but the Life area is fairly long, with a difficult ambush fight and a block puzzle.

I really enjoy the Skystones game, but if you buy the super awesome cards, like Gargantua, it sort of breaks the game. It's a little irritating how Auric's store is different in every level. So you if really wanted that Gargantual Skystones card, but didn't have 1800 gold at the time, you had better remember which level the card was in, because it won't show up later.

I am SUPER intrigued by the "Alt Deco" versions of some figures listed in the guide. Whirlwind is my favorite figure and the "Polar Whirlwind" shown on the Wikia page looks awesome!

http://skylanders.wikia.com/wiki/Polar_Whirlwind

I didn't realize that the "glow in the dark portal" was actually a lighting effect and not just a "turn off the lights, barely glows" effect. I might have to snag one of those. Looks really cool.

Sora_N

Anyone else's Light Core Drobot not working right? When he appears in the game, the announcer doesn't say, "Light Core!" Xbox version.

I like that the new levels seem longer than the last game, so don't mind overall fewer chapters. However, the new elemental gates are hit or miss. For example, in Rumble Town, the Undead area is very short, but the Life area is fairly long, with a difficult ambush fight and a block puzzle.

I really enjoy the Skystones game, but if you buy the super awesome cards, like Gargantua, it sort of breaks the game. It's a little irritating how Auric's store is different in every level. So you if really wanted that Gargantual Skystones card, but didn't have 1800 gold at the time, you had better remember which level the card was in, because it won't show up later.

I am SUPER intrigued by the "Alt Deco" versions of some figures listed in the guide. Whirlwind is my favorite figure and the "Polar Whirlwind" shown on the Wikia page looks awesome!

http://skylanders.wikia.com/wiki/Polar_Whirlwind

I didn't realize that the "glow in the dark portal" was actually a lighting effect and not just a "turn off the lights, barely glows" effect. I might have to snag one of those. Looks really cool.

Yeah I won't mind double-dipping by buying a S2 character if it's a repaint that is different in-game.

Where do you get the GITD portal?

Zing

Banned
I assume you mean the Walmart exclusive portal. From what I have seen, it simply has translucent plastic around the sides so the light comes through the "stone" plastic. I'm not sure how that translates to "glow in the dark", and I find it pretty lame. The original portal with the lit symbols looks better.

Draco

I assume you mean the Walmart exclusive portal. From what I have seen, it simply has translucent plastic around the sides so the light comes through the "stone" plastic. I'm not sure how that translates to "glow in the dark", and I find it pretty lame. The original portal with the lit symbols looks better.

Yes, it's the Walmart exclusive. It looks better thant the default Giants portal. However, I agree with you that the original portal was best. I loved the glowing runes!

Lan_97

Finished the 3DS version a couple days ago. Overall I liked it a bit more than the first game.

Like the console version, levels are longer but there are less of them (this game removes arena challenges). Areas feel much more like worlds rather than a collection of floating platforms. It would be nice if they flesh out the giant areas a bit more instead of just revealing a chest/hat/etc (the same goes for the console version). The amount of content is disappointing for a sequel. No more challenge levels, some worlds have 3 levels + boss, others have no boss, the last two worlds only have two levels, one of which is a boss fight. Main campaign took about 5 hours to complete, which was similar to my time for the first game.

Frame rate, as I mentioned before, is significantly worse than the first games, despite seemingly running on the same engine. The 3D effect is ok, but like with most 3DS games, I wish there were more options made available to the user to get a better sense of depth. The hub world lacks a practice dummy to test out damage numbers, and for some reason the attached area with the hats/figure collection is separated by a loading screen. Also, character dialogue doesn't change through the campaign like the first game.

Despite my complaints, this is still an improved game and I look forward to the next set of games.

Sora_N

Finished the 3DS version a couple days ago. Overall I liked it a bit more than the first game.

Like the console version, levels are longer but there are less of them (this game removes arena challenges). Areas feel much more like worlds rather than a collection of floating platforms. It would be nice if they flesh out the giant areas a bit more instead of just revealing a chest/hat/etc (the same goes for the console version). The amount of content is disappointing for a sequel. No more challenge levels, some worlds have 3 levels + boss, others have no boss, the last two worlds only have two levels, one of which is a boss fight. Main campaign took about 5 hours to complete, which was similar to my time for the first game.

Frame rate, as I mentioned before, is significantly worse than the first games, despite seemingly running on the same engine. The 3D effect is ok, but like with most 3DS games, I wish there were more options made available to the user to get a better sense of depth. The hub world lacks a practice dummy to test out damage numbers, and for some reason the attached area with the hats/figure collection is separated by a loading screen. Also, character dialogue doesn't change through the campaign like the first game.

Despite my complaints, this is still an improved game and I look forward to the next set of games.

Thanks for that...I think I'll pass on the 3DS version after reading that. I like the console style much more.

Lan_97

Thanks for that...I think I'll pass on the 3DS version after reading that. I like the console style much more.

Yea, it's a fun companion game to get more use out of your figures, but I would only recommend it if you liked/want more of the first one.

Sora_N

Yea, it's a fun companion game to get more use out of your figures, but I would only recommend it if you liked/want more of the first one.

I just didn't like how you could only gain levels in the first game and not skills. You had to re-grind money on the console one which was kind of annoying. Is that the same for the Giants 3DS version?

Lan_97

I just didn't like how you could only gain levels in the first game and not skills. You had to re-grind money on the console one which was kind of annoying. Is that the same for the Giants 3DS version?

Yes, like the first game any currency you pick up in a level gets converted to experience. Though it does feel a bit more useful this time around due to the increased level cap.

rcl66

Yes, like the first game any currency you pick up in a level gets converted to experience. Though it does feel a bit more useful this time around due to the increased level cap.

So you get no money on the 3ds and there are no arena challenges? That sounds bad.

Lan_97

So you get no money on the 3ds and there are no arena challenges? That sounds bad.

No arenas, but the main levels are larger and more interesting. You didn't get money in the first game either, but I guess that would have been nice.

Finished Nightmare mode today and was rewarded with a Knight Helm. I really enjoyed the difficulty; made full use of items and a wide variety of characters. Enemies take a lot more damage and deal a ton more. Most characters could only take 2-3 hits, which made some encounters particularly difficult (some of the enemy groups in the last 3 stages and ranged ambushes).

Now to go for platinum.

BooJoh

It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can take your max level characters into the console game and still make progress on them by buying abilities. On the other hand, they'll still be pretty overpowered on the earlier console levels even without their full arsenal of skills.

What's bugging me about the 3DS version is I've been playing primarily as Pop Fizz and he has no "rage" bar of any sort like he does on consoles, so you have no idea how long your transformation will last when you use it.

The wait for WiiU is being made all the more painful by the fact that I'm getting all these new Skylanders figures and only have the 3DS version to use them on :( I like the 3DS games, but they don't hold a candle to the console versions.

JMizzlin

How are they Skylanders micro 360 controllers? I saw one at Walmart last night and they looked pretty neat. Couldn't find any reviews, though.

Draco

How are they Skylanders micro 360 controllers? I saw one at Walmart last night and they looked pretty neat. Couldn't find any reviews, though.

My 5 year old son uses this. The Power A Micro Skylanders branded controller. We have the blue one. It's my first experience with a wired Xbox 360 controller. This is our third Power A controller (we have used two of their Micro Wii controllers for the last two years to great success).

I used it myself for around a four hour gaming session (Skyrim) to make sure it was responsive before turning it over to him. Overall, it's a solid 8/10 controller. The thumbsticks are generally responsive and smooth. I can feel the slightest resistance pushing "Up" with the left thumbstick. Like I'm feeling the mechanisms rubbing inside the housing. It's very slight though and I usually forget about it unless I'm really paying attention to it.

The light up feature is very cool and my son loves it. You click a button on the back to light up the four colored face buttons and the shoulder buttons. Face buttons feel good, as do the triggers.

My one gripe s that the shoulder buttons are too "clicky." I much prefer the "smooshy" feel of the regular Xbox controller's shoulder buttons. I've been using Dragon Shouts in Skyrim for 180 hours and suddenly switching to the Microcontroller was adjustment. You really need to push it in the center of the button, and not just tap the corner of it.

I think it might actually be too tough for my 5 year old son to do that, but you don't use the shoulder buttons in Skylanders so it's not an issue right now.

One thing I didn't realize about having a wired controller connected to the Xbox. It will ALWAYS be Controller 1, even if you turn on your system using another wireless controller using the center guide button.

My son doesn't have the coordination to plug it into the USB port in front of the Xbox behind the hidden door, so we pretty much leave it in all the time, which means I'm constantly having to turn off the Xbox after I start it up with my regular controller, unplug his and then restart the Xbox. And of course, I forget to re-plug his wired controller in all the time when I'm done, and God forbid my wife learns how to plug in the USB controller, which often results in an angry phone call to me at 3:00PM from her that usually goes like this, "Why the hell can't you remember to plug it in before you got to bed," followed by, "How the hell is this supposed to go in again?" Even though I've showed her like 10 times now how to do it.

Draco

Thought I'd post my thoughts on the Battle Arena too. I got it 40% off during Toys R Us's sale when I was buying my son the Skylanders Micro Xbox Controller. It's overpriced at $40, but is more fun and functional to use than you think.

The portal of power rests in the center of the arena, and the plug for the portal is tucked away nicely into a channel molded for the cord in the arena base. I was at first disappointed that it runs on three AAA batteries instead of using some sort of "pass through" USB power from the Portal and Console. However the LEDs don't seem to soak up that much juice and it has lasted at least 12 hours so far without changing the batteries.

The light up feature is pretty cool. Each of the elements lights up their respective color, and then the elemental symbols illuminate all around the base ring of the arena where the figures rest, and these symbols all morph colors in a very cool effect. All together, the arena + portal looks very cool at night, and to my 5 year old son, it all looks absolutely magical. The arena is now an integral part of our "Skylanders Playset" and I will have a very sad little boy if the thing ever breaks.

Skylanders itself is already magical to him (toys come to life, yadda, yadda, yadda), so this battle arena just blows him away. He plays with the toys and acts out scenes with them even when not actually playing the video game, and the battle arena is often a staging ground for these adventures.

Another benefit of the arena is that it sort of serves as an end table and a place to put other elemental Skylanders. We play on the couch and don't have a coffee table in front of us (no room because of the Microsoft Kinect), and have been using another Power A accessory, the Skylanders Castle Tower case to elevate the portal and make it easier to switch. We placed the battle arena here on top of the Castle Tower and now it's a great little staging area to quickly swap a giant in when we need to break a gate.

I'm looking to jump into Skylanders on Xbox 360 (is there a better platform?)

Should I wait for a Giants starter pack to get a portal or should I just get a Skylander's Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack?

What is the point of collecting every figure? I presume there is a sub-section of figures that will allow me to access all of the content?

Is there local co-op that allows 2 players to explore at the same time?

Zing

Banned
I'm looking to jump into Skylanders on Xbox 360 (is there a better platform?)

Should I wait for a Giants starter pack to get a portal or should I just get a Skylander's Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack?

What is the point of collecting every figure? I presume there is a sub-section of figures that will allow me to access all of the content?

Is there local co-op that allows 2 players to explore at the same time?

The Wii is the "native" platform, with the other versions being ports and having a few extra programming bugs. Do what you will with that info.

Personally, I'd get the Spryo's Adventure pack, since the portal is higher quality. It's actually a better deal to get Giants in starter pack form as well. For $15 more, get the new portal for free as well as getting two currently starter-exclusive figures. Even if you never use the portal, you are saving $5 on a figure.

Collecting every figure is just for collection purposes. There is an "accolade" (read: achievement) that is only triggered if you have all the figures. Also, the more figures you have, the more XP bonus you get. Finally, having more figures of the same elemental type boosts their elemental power. You only need one figure of each elemental type to access all content in the game and 100% a game save.

There is no online play. It is all local co-op. For this reason, I suggest the optimal collection will have two unique figures of each element, so both player can be the same element at the same time.

Top Bottom