• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Song above you... Rate it!!!

injurai

Banned
mixtapelogof0jtd.png

A way for GAF to share their musical interests outside of genre-centric threads and to see what others think.

The Rules
  • 1. Rate the song(s) above you.
  • 2. Post a new song.
  • 3. Actually Listen to the song before you rate it.
  • 4. Discover new music.
  • 5. Don't be a dick.
  • 6. Have fun.
I'll start off with a legendary track The Jimi Hendrix Experience - All Along The Watchtower

Trin

1968/10 <3 (edit: woops!)

How to Destroy Angels - Ice Age

I'll support Ice Age with a solid 7, very interesting song, and one that flows surprisingly well.

The Clientele - Harvest Time

Nice idea for a thread, hopefully it catches on.

Since yours got skipped, I'm happy to rate it a 6.5/10 :)
It's got a very laid back (Beatles-esque seems to obvious) mood to it, mixed with something you'd find on the Garden State soundtrack. A little repetitive, but would listen again.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Hmm, she has power behind those vocals but uses them to tease octaves a bit. It's a lovely track; I'm impressed.

Fair warning: this is a very long track.

BVDUB - Today He Felt Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYwKpp3EwX4

Much longer than it has a right to be. I'll review it once I've had a chance to listen to the whole thing but I have a feeling I'm going to fall asleep halfway through it.

Okay, only a few minutes in atthe moment but this would probably be the best thing ever if I was high out of my mind right now.

The Band - King Harvest
http://youtu.be/lxzQChNxQQ8

Davidion

Much longer than it has a right to be. I'll review it once I've had a chance to listen to the whole thing but I have a feeling I'm going to fall asleep halfway through it.

Okay, only a few minutes in atthe moment but this would probably be the best thing ever if I was high out of my mind right now.

The Band - King Harvest
http://youtu.be/lxzQChNxQQ8

Hah, I appreciate you trying.

It's a recent find of mine that I've taken a particular liking to. There is definitely a lot of repetition but many elements float beneath the surface to reward those who listens carefully. Although, I will say that it's the final resolution and all of the build into it that really gets me.

Hope you like it. I don't imagine it's to everyone's taste.

UrbanRats

Hah, I appreciate you trying.

It's a recent find of mine that I've taken a particular liking to. There is definitely a lot of repetition but many elements float beneath the surface to reward those who listens carefully. Although, I will say that it's the final resolution and all of the build into it that really gets me.

Hope you like it. I don't imagine it's to everyone's taste.
I'm really loving that track, FWIW.
woah really chill and mellow. Not even my kind of music but I still enjoyed that. Even more impressive watching it. 9/10. The title confuses me though.

Stefano Barone it the musician, "Batman" and "Alexander Supertramp" are actually two songs mashed into one, in the video (from the album "Particolare #1").

kswiston

woah really chill and mellow. Not even my kind of music but I still enjoyed that. Even more impressive watching it. 9/10. The title confuses me though.

James Zabiela - Healing
More electronic/trancy/house music though but still different than the norm.

I'm not a huge fan of the genre in general, but that was a cool song. I feel like it should be in a game like Chime. 8.5/10.

José González - Cycling Trivialities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pi5jdkO94A

Davidion

Uh, wow. Not what I was expecting at all. I really do miss well done guitar work; every once in a while I'd love a bit of Flamenco Guitar for spice.

This is just really nice; calm yet focused is the only way I can describe it. Finds are 2/2 in this thread.

9/10

I'm really loving that track, FWIW.

Oh I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is a track that I'd leave on repeat when I sleep and wake up to the ending refrain. It makes me melt, not to mention it sets off my ASMR like nothing else as of late.

UrbanRats

Uh, wow. Not what I was expecting at all. I really do miss well done guitar work; every once in a while I'd love a bit of Flamenco Guitar for spice.

This is just really nice; calm yet focused is the only way I can describe it. Finds are 2/2 in this thread.

9/10

Oh I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is a track that I'd leave on repeat when I sleep and wake up to the ending refrain. It makes me melt, not to mention it sets off my ASMR like nothing else as of late.
I know that feel.

As for acoustic, you may like:

Andy Mckee, Eric Mongrain or for more flamenco stuff, Ana Vidovic (lol, i know Asturias is kind of the go to track, but still).

I really like the guitar work, I am very much one to appreciate a subtle, slow guitar. Reminds me very much of Simon and Garfunkle.

Time to pimp out my boys again!

http://youtu.be/5JibZ2U3o-M
Secret Circus - Quick Fix

Not the right link, but interesting all the same. :p

UrbanRats

davidnic

I'm not a huge fan of the genre in general, but that was a cool song. I feel like it should be in a game like Chime. 8.5/10.

José González - Cycling Trivialities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pi5jdkO94A

Great Song it is nice and relaxing something you chill out to after a bike ride.
8/10

I am terrible, edited >.<

Considering the title of the video, I bet you guys think I am really weird now heh.

mmm.... I guess but we all make mistakes like that. We can still be GAF mates. lol

K.Sabot

Cool thread OP! Subbing.

I don't even... 5/10
Is that what the inside of my computer sounds like. I can appreciate the chaos though. lol

The Roots - What They Do

8/10 one of The Roots' best.

Les Savy Fav - Reprobate's Resume

Edit: Hold up thread! Lemme listen to the songs before you start moving!

Double Edit: Kk listened to the song above me now. 7/10. Love the beat, the MC's voice is a bit nasally, but that doesn't detract that much. Otherwise, like most hip-hop, it's hard to fully consume on first listen, so my first experience with a hip-hop song varies depending on how much I absorb.

K.Sabot

I was disappointed in this album since Treny is a classic. Still quite a good song though. Decent grip to it, if not wholly unique. 7/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4oZyp2RuU (if you need a hint it's an absolute stone cold 10/10)

Oh man.

Where to begin? The beat may be slapper, but I've heard it 900 billion times on better songs, she doesn't add anything new to it. 4/10, not actively insulting but just below average. Not to say that I don't understand why people may enjoy it though.

Witness - Watercolors

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh man.

Where to begin? The beat may be slapper, but I've heard it 900 billion times on better songs, she doesn't add anything new to it. 4/10, not actively insulting but just below average. Not to say that I don't understand why people may enjoy it though.

Witness - Watercolors

Hip-hop isn't normally my thing, but I could probably listen to this album and reasonably enjoy it. 7/10.

Lydia - A Story for Supper (This song is pure fucking bliss. I love it so much.)

EDIT: Actually I kinda had trouble bringing myself to close the tab the song was playing in, so yeah, I'd probably up it to 8/10 just because of that. :lol

Top Bottom