• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Song above you... Rate it!!!

Mr_Elysia

I'll rate your skipped tracks but I don't think you'll appreciate the full use of scale and the measure against all music.

8/10

This is the kind of electro-funk music I would listen to compliment another task primarily due to its almost fully instrumental nature. Kind of reminded of older Daft Punk music. Thank you.

My choice (I love cyberpunk stuff):

Kuedo - Ant City (3:24)

I liked this. As you said very cyber-punkesque. But it's hard to rate it as a stand-alone item. If was part of a film, or had a story behind the sound, or was a part of a concept album it might score higher for me. Since that is not in the criteria I will give it a solid 5.5/10.

Really enjoyed this. Beats remind me of old Maximo Park tunes. I like.

8/10

The Prodigy — Out Of Space

Whilst this is listenable and not tremendously dissonant music-wise, it is not good, for me, and I found myself paying close attention for the whole song while waiting for him to take my brain to another dimension, as he had mentioned he would do about thirteen thousand times. It seems like it might benefit from cutting it's length by about half. 4/10

Music is both beautifully and frustratingly subjective so please don't take my scores as anything but personal preference and opinion. If the songs are a 10 for you, I can respect that and be happy that it is something you enjoy. I wasn't trying to be down, only trying to rate a few skipped selections so you knew you had shared meaningfully. Remember also that I used the full length of the ten scale and that the music was rated against all music past and present that I either love or hate.

Davidion

I know that feel.

As for acoustic, you may like:

Andy Mckee, Eric Mongrain or for more flamenco stuff, Ana Vidovic (lol, i know Asturias is kind of the go to track, but still).

Great, thanks for these!

Unfortunately LP has become generic from the days of Meteora and past. Doesn't appear things have changed : /

6/10

Lana Del Rey - Ride (Photek remix)

There's something frustratingly absent from the way she hits her notes, particularly during the chorus. I can't put my finger on it. The production works decently but not great, and maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but I feel like Photek can do better.

It's not a bad track, just a bit off for my taste.

6/10

Lusine - Lucky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nW3wolUFo

Great, thanks for these!

There's something frustratingly absent from the way she hits her notes, particularly during the chorus. I can't put my finger on it. The production works decently but not great, and maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but I feel like Photek can do better.

It's not a bad track, just a bit off for my taste.

6/10

Lusine - Lucky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nW3wolUFo

This is okay. This is the kind of song that won't get much replay value from me. 6/10.

I'm also crazy about the gorillaz: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWT7fNrVqQ

This is okay. This is the kind of song that won't get much replay value from me. 6/10.

I'm also crazy about the gorillaz: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQWT7fNrVqQ

This will probably piss you off as it's a generic hipster comment, but I really do like their old stuff better. White Flag didn't do anything for me, but I've seen people say it's their best album.

I'll refrain from awarding it an arbitrary number as I'm not really knowledgable in the genre so seems kinda pointless.

My pick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXKa6YjJaU

This will probably piss you off as it's a generic hipster comment, but I really do like their old stuff better. White Flag didn't do anything for me, but I've seen people say it's their best album.

I'll refrain from awarding it an arbitrary number as I'm not really knowledgable in the genre so seems kinda pointless.

My pick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXKa6YjJaU

Breaking Benjamin-esque. But just wasn't feeling it for the most part.

6/10

RJD2 - Smoke & Mirrors

Breaking Benjamin-esque. But just wasn't feeling it for the most part.

6/10

RJD2 - Smoke & Mirrors

5/5

Very smooth and pulpy. The kind of song I can see in a Tarantino movie. I approve.

The Levellers - Another Man's Cause (my favorite song)

Ooh, I like this. Really loving the beat. Not something I'd listen to regularly, but it's really nice. 7/10

Lydia - December

edit: damn. There's some good music to be found on Gaf. This one is quite moody.

5/5

meppi

Very far removed from the types of music that I like, so I find it very hard to rate myself.
Personally I'd give it a 3/10 but that's just because this style is not for me.

I'd like to post this one, which might also be an acquired taste. I'm not sure.

Nah Youn Sun - Breakfast In Baghdad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ebLK-l0jc

I accidentally came across this Jazz musician last week and after hearing a couple of songs from the two albums that she has on iTunes, I fell in love with her music.

Others are My Name is Carnival, Enter Sandman, Pancake, Calypso Blues, Jockey Full of Bourbon and Please, Don't be Sad.
Bought both albums the same day. :)

mooooose

I went through the thread, these are the songs I either loved, or hated. I hope other people do the same, because I'm assuming there will be plenty of great music I would have overlooked if I just listened to the above.
How to Destroy Angels - Ice Age
Better than I expected, though too long. Her voice is great. 6/10.
I love the instrumental and the harmonies but I don't love the lead singer's voice. I guess I'm being harsh on it because I do enjoy it a lot, it just isn't perfect to me. I'd give it a 7/10. The instrumental is really great.
Fucking cool dude. 7.5/10.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBIa1pYuMcI&feature=youtu.be
Hahaha, this is crazy, 6.5/10. Very cool song, would be great in a Youtube video or movie in some capacity. Really cool.
Above & Beyond - You Got To Go (Owsey Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrWWVrBrlY
The sample sequencing is great but the drums are SO boring and lack any punch. Just comes off really boring and too "light" and "airy". It needed more oomph and direction. I really like the main sample though, reminds me of some of the stuff Araabmuzik and Kaskade and plenty of other EDM dudes do but less focused. I like the sample a lot and I can't say that enough, and there is this haunting OOOOOHHHH echo (almost like reverb is high, but its a sample) during the "chorus". I love that. Based on those two things it's getting a 4/10, but this really could've been a 8 to me.

Definitely not for me, I can't even rate it. I respect it's sonically good but I don't enjoy it.
Fuck, this is sublime. 9/10. Reminds me of an acoustic Minus the Bear at some points, at some points I hear influences of Noise and Shoegaze. Reminds me of Sonic Youth a little. When it comes back at 4:16, wow. Really love this. It's so airy, spaced out, it leaves at all the right times and comes back in at the right times. It's casual but calculated. It sounds like a journey into a forest and little red riding hood is standing by a river and she looks back at you, and runs over the river and you feel compelled to follow. It sounds like the colors green and red and blue, and a little yellow. This is beautiful.

James Zabiela - Healing
More electronic/trancy/house music though but still different than the norm.

Ugh, stuff like this just sounds so lazy sometimes. This is one of those times. I love trance and electronic but this just sounds lazy. Sonically, it came correct. It doesn't particularly sound cheap. 4/10. I may just be spoiled from the good old days of Sneaker Pimps and UNKLE, but this is just mediocre.

José González - Cycling Trivialities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pi5jdkO94A

Meh, sounds like something my ex would've liked, but it's not really for me. 5/10.
Wow, I hate to make the comparison again, but I hear a lot of Sonic Youth in this guitar, at first. It sounds a lot like Stones off their album Sonic Nurse. That's where the comparison ends though, they are definitely their own thing, and pretty good at that. 6.5/10. I dig it. This would sound great live.

Pretty good, nothing new but still good. I respect something that doesn't throw obvious punches, and also doesn't sacrifice quality for it. 6/10.
Wow, I really did not like this. I don't even hear anything appealing about it in particular. The instrumental isn't completely terrible but it just SOUNDS inconsequential. 2/10.

Yuck, I hate this kind of stuff that isn't Ween. 2/10. Sound like something that should've been left in puberty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4oZyp2RuU (if you need a hint it's an absolute stone cold 10/10)
I mean, I don't disagree with the 4/10 review of the other user, TECHNICALLY... but I can't deny that I like it. I like it a lot. The beat is a slapper. I mean fuck. And she's quite the looker. I almost feel obligated to give it a 8/10... when the beat comes in, it feels like one, if not higher possibly. It ends up being a 6.5/10. But still better than a 4/10. Much better. It's surprisingly good. I think the most uninteresting part is her lyrics, which I rarely have a problem with (I love ASAP Rocky), but she is REALLY boring. ASAP Rocky has good slang, idioms, and some decent word play, she brings none of that. Her flow is okay. I guess she is more comparable to MIA, and MIA is leagues more interesting on her (good) tracks than Nadia appears to be. This isn't unfamiliar territory, it's just a good, well packaged, version of a song we've heard before. I'd still give it a 6.5. It's a slapper.
This guy's voice is really annoying. The beat is good, sounds like Nujabes, but lyrically he isn't that much ahead of ol' Nadia above. He's pretty boring, sounds painfully forceful in his flow, and his voice gives me a low key headache. I had to turn it off. It sounds like the kind of thing the white hip hop head posts on his Myspace and gets 50 views. 1/10.

I'm taken back by how good this is. 7.5/10. It doesn't really have a right being as good as it is, from the beginning, but it builds constantly in all the right ways. I love electronic songs with synths that don't sound cheap. My beef with many purely original electronic songs (ie, no samples) is they don't sound like "songs", but this definitely does.
This is wonderful. 8/10. I dig how spastic it sounds, but I dig it in a way that I couldn't enjoy it out of the context of just this song. It makes this song sound pathetic almost, in a way you almost find it admirable for eventually finding its way.
*Edit* 5/10

My entry *Warning, this song may contain too much ballness or my cause your balls to drop"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfpsWTM8KdI

I roll my eyes at stuff like this. I don't understand the appeal, and this is coming from someone who loves Hardcore. I don't understand this kind of metal. It's bizarre to me. The video looks like Game of Thrones extras got them to film a video during Lunch. 3/10.
I'm a pretty big fan of melodic death metal, and you just gave me a new band to listen to 8.5/10. Thanks.

Mother Mother - Bit by Bit
I like it enough to rate it like a 7/10. It's pretty cool.
I've been meaning to check this guys out in detail for the last like 7 years. This song was definitely pretty cool. 7/10.
Sounds just like the stuff my friend makes. I don't love it. It's okay. 5/10. I do love the cover and the overall direction.
Not my typical kind of stuff, but I can't deny how good this is. 8.5/10. Very cool. I love that the song SOUNDS like wandering a city. It sounds like wandering. And it sounds like earth tone colors. Both of which are in the video. Really awesome. I love the "Only Love" sample. The drums are fucking GREAT. Ooooh and the girl on bass is sexy.
CHVRCHES - Lies

you have to watch it too, i'm sorry.
I clicked on it, didn't think much of it, closed it... then I read the guy below... and I said "I must've missed something", and relistened. I did miss something. This song is definitely pretty good. 7/10. I love her vocals (and her look) and sonically, it comes correct.
It's a Yes song. But you know what? I like hearing this. In this thread, I can really appreciate it. It's a good fucking song. 7.5/10.

I'm not even completely opposed to Linkin Park (I'd never admit it, IRL though), but fuck, this makes me understand why I have to be... it's just such a fucking Linkin Park song. It's so cliche, grating, and boring. There are some good Linkin Park songs out there, be they remixes or just anomalies, this is not one. 2/10.

You have some good fucking taste in music bruh, 7/10. This isn't my favorite Gorillaz song but this is a good one. Definitely underrated.
It's almost unfair to post this in this thread. If you don't give RJD2 an average of 9/10, you're fucking up.
Would've been better without the a Capella opening. Still a great performance 9/10.

Mystery Pills - "Anti-Pattern"

I don't love it, it's okay. Nothing about it jumps out at me. 5/10. I do like whatever xylophone esque sound that is in the background that grows into a cool synth sound from the chorus to the second verse.

Jhriad

Not sure if you got skipped or not so I'll give it a listen myself. :)
5/5

Very smooth and pulpy. The kind of song I can see in a Tarantino movie. I approve.

The Levellers - Another Man's Cause (my favorite song)

Kinda dig it. Not a song I'd put into a regular rotation but I could see it being something I might be in the mood for occasionally.

7/10

Would've been better without the a Capella opening. Still a great performance 9/10.

Mystery Pills - "Anti-Pattern"

Didn't hate it but didn't really get into it either. Pretty one note experience.

5/10

Lefty - Title Fight

It's a shoegazey noise song by a pop punk band turned hardcore. Check it out.

Might've been into this in high school but my musical palate has shifted enough that it's just not my thing any longer. Not bad though.

6/10

Here's another contribution:
Two Parts Love, One Part Sin by The Sheriffs of Nottingham

Love it. Crazy cool textures with a lot of major 7th chords in it (my favorite extension). I was unsure I'd like it since you said hardcore, but it's really well written stuff and the vocals aren't bad. 8/10

This Town Needs Guns- Panda

Fun math rock with intense, yet laid back guitar riffs.

dont like it too much. guys voice is annoying and the instruments dont sound right. not my genre so cant give more opinion
4/10

another chamillionaire track
overnight

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Love it. Crazy cool textures with a lot of major 7th chords in it (my favorite extension). I was unsure I'd like it since you said hardcore, but it's really well written stuff and the vocals aren't bad. 8/10

This Town Needs Guns- Panda

Fun math rock with intense, yet laid back guitar riffs.

Interesting. Great drummer, and not my favorite singer, but he works it. He's got some really cool melodies. I think it needs a little more sonic meat beneath the guitar. 9/10

Amia Venera Landscape - "Empire"

If you don't like harsh vocals, sorry.

---

Also: Godspeed to the posters review multiple. Doing work.

UrbanRats

Fuck, this is sublime. 9/10. Reminds me of an acoustic Minus the Bear at some points, at some points I hear influences of Noise and Shoegaze. Reminds me of Sonic Youth a little. When it comes back at 4:16, wow. Really love this. It's so airy, spaced out, it leaves at all the right times and comes back in at the right times. It's casual but calculated. It sounds like a journey into a forest and little red riding hood is standing by a river and she looks back at you, and runs over the river and you feel compelled to follow. It sounds like the colors green and red and blue, and a little yellow. This is beautiful.

You may also like Minimalaction from him.

I felt it dragged on too long, but still pretty good. I havent listened to them in years. 7/10

this songs been stuck in my head for a while now
5/10
Not my cup of tea, but it would fit in a Tony Hawk game, i think.

After Redline, more music to put while driving:
Boredoms - Star

Servbot24

Banned
6.5/10. Don't really listen to much stuff like this, but it was pretty interesting. very spacey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGLTfrhZO6g

nice little break up song

Pretty good song! I actually like it a lot. 8/10!

I mean, I don't disagree with the 4/10 review of the other user, TECHNICALLY... but I can't deny that I like it. I like it a lot. The beat is a slapper. I mean fuck. And she's quite the looker. I almost feel obligated to give it a 8/10... when the beat comes in, it feels like one, if not higher possibly. It ends up being a 6.5/10. But still better than a 4/10. Much better. It's surprisingly good. I think the most uninteresting part is her lyrics, which I rarely have a problem with (I love ASAP Rocky), but she is REALLY boring. ASAP Rocky has good slang, idioms, and some decent word play, she brings none of that. Her flow is okay. I guess she is more comparable to MIA, and MIA is leagues more interesting on her (good) tracks than Nadia appears to be. This isn't unfamiliar territory, it's just a good, well packaged, version of a song we've heard before. I'd still give it a 6.5. It's a slapper.

If you dare, check out her album Colours. Her robotic boringness is part of her bizarre charm (I know it's cheap to call a traditionally bad trait "charming" but I don't know how else to put it). Absurd lines like "My girls they call me London, because I'm based in London," "I do the supermodel. I climb on top of shit," "Hot hot girls! And hot hot boys," and "Nadia Oh, yo, blo dro fo sho," abound with embarrassing generosity.

Anyways!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2hMn09YbPQ

decaf

I think this was the first Prodigy song I ever heard. I find it very different from their other stuff though (singles, at least). Great song/video and a great party starter, but anyone who starts skanking to this (or anything) can GTFO of my house.

This is my bag of tea. And he's on Spotify to boot. On first listening: 9

Errors - Cutlery Drawer (ft. George Pringle) (wouldn't watch the slideshow on this YouTube video - doesn't go with the track... just go to another tab)

HelloMeow

Errors - Cutlery Drawer (ft. George Pringle) (wouldn't watch the slideshow on this YouTube video - doesn't go with the track... just go to another tab)

The vocals kind of ruin it for me. 6/10

I think without vocals it would have been an 7.5/10.

Different sound from what I usually listen to, but I can dig it.
7/10

Uyama Hiroto ft. Haruka Nakamura - Faure

It's nice but a bit repetitive.

7/10

MISTABISHI - ALL THE THINGS YOU WANT BUT DON'T NEED

Collete

Ok that was some weird stuff. 3/10 Maybe something I'd send to a friend to say check out this strange video. Not being a dick. Check it out. lol

To me the point of the video was not really video itself, but the music. I was kind of lazy to link to a "video-less" version, and just linked that since it's already in my favorites.
I just liked the main vocals, was pretty amazing to me. Sorry you didn't enjoy it though.

Just what I needed! 9/10
Very peaceful music and what I need to calm down.

Blazo - Natural Green

Top Bottom