• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of piracy on PSP (Includes Download Numbers)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, IF 10% of the PSP owners never buy any games because they're BIG FAT PIRATES.

Why aren't the games selling to the other 90%?

oneHeero

oneHeero said:
Is buying a stolen game the same as pirating the game? Does it count as a +1 for NPD if its stolen? I mean the store buys the game and if they are missing one and ell the rest they have to buy more right? Does it count or??

Not that I've done this, dont have a way, but I am curious, I see games on sell on CL all the time, new, and wondered if it counted.
. :)

No_Style

Jtwo said:
Ok, IF 10% of the PSP owners never buy any games. period.

Why aren't the games selling to the other 90%?

My friend uses it as a music player. He has the option to pirate games, but he doesn't even want to do that. The PSP is a great multimedia device for him. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are doing the same thing.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
A problem that is definitely bigger than piracy is used games.
I've bought two new games for my PSP.
All the others I got used.

"Is buying a stolen game the same as pirating the game? Does it count as a +1 for NPD if its stolen? I mean the store buys the game and if they are missing one and ell the rest they have to buy more right? Does it count or??

Not that I've done this, dont have a way, but I am curious, I see games on sell on CL all the time, new, and wondered if it counted."

I'm not sure what you're trying to say at all. What do you mean by buying a stolen game? What is CL and how do you know the new ones there are stolen?

"**** custom firmware.

Gaf should ban those kinds of thread."

Because the only people who use it are pirates right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WoWcraft said:
**** custom firmware.

Gaf should ban those kinds of thread.

And why exactly is that, WoWcraft?

You know what? I can't believe any of you are actually emotionally effected by the thought of people out in the world pirating PSP games! Or any games! Are you guys just choosing a side in the debate and sticking to it, or do you honestly feel angry at the thought of other people downloading a game?

No_Style

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Is buying a stolen game the same as pirating the game? Does it count as a +1 for NPD if its stolen? I mean the store buys the game and if they are missing one and ell the rest they have to buy more right? Does it count or??

Not that I've done this, dont have a way, but I am curious, I see games on sell on CL all the time, new, and wondered if it counted."

I'm not sure what you're trying to say at all. What do you mean by buying a stolen game? What is CL and how do you know the new ones there are stolen?

I'm guessing CL = Craig's List

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WoWcraft said:
Eh? Did you say YARRRRRRRRRR?!

GTFO.gif

ethelred said:
What's your damage?

I'll freely admit to having custom firmware, because it isn't just for piracy.

Me too, my options are either custom firmware or a fannypack to keep all my UMD movies and games in when im traveling...no dice.

ethelred said:
Custom firmware isn't just for piracy.

It's a bit of a grey area though. Without CFW, piracy would be much harder than it is now, most probably. Also because on forums CFW is seen as legit, there are probably far more people clued in to how to pirate PSP games.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, so what?
That's the equivalent of the gun control = less murder argument.

Danj said:
You should be able to, yes. In UMD USB target mode, when you connect it to your computer it shows up as a mass storage device containing the ISO file. Since the PSP is handling everything there's no special PC-only software required, so there's no reason it wouldn't work for Macs too.

Actually it doesn't work for macs. I have one, and I have to use PrometeusPro in addition to DaxDumper. When you try and hook it up via USB the mac says it's an "unreadable volume". I think what needs to be done is for someone to write a driver for OSX...

Of course DaxDumper only works on 1.50.. which means Phat only.

WoWcraft said:
Eh? Did you say YARRRRRRRRRR?!

That's funny. My library of 20+ PSP games sitting on my shelf are having a hard time comprehending that line of thinking.

ethelred

Die Squirrel Die said:
It's a bit of a grey area though. Without CFW, piracy would be much harder than it is now, most probably.

Sure. Without torrent technology, piracy would be harder. In fact, without the internet itself piracy would be really difficult! That isn't an indictment on any of these things, though. That legitimate applications can be used toward unethical ends doesn't mean we should cut those out.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Also because on forums CFW is seen as legit...

Custom firmware is legit.

WoWcraft

Banned
A Pirate said:
Yarrrr be thar Gaf. I be postin' bout thar GBA flash cart stores, arrr.

By Longbeards' treasure, yar landlubbers goin to be pleeeased farrr thar flash carrrrts let yarr DS shimmy with tharrr purchased games in one carrrrt. Arrrrr believe me soul when I am be swabbin farr arrrthority. I be not a pirate farrrr DS games.
So are we allowed to post methods and link sellers that can help store "DS roms" into SD flash cards because it's legit if you own the games? A thread that says "I own the Neo Geo game of Magician Lord, please help me find the rom because I want to play it on computer." is allowed because it is 'legit'?

You, Mr. Pirate, are a liar.

A Pirate said:
Arrrrr...
16x16smileysadgi9.gif
Talk about custom firmware all you want, people, but if those PSP hack teams aren't going out to rip out the ability to run roms out of their firmwares, then you are support piracy by promoting it.

WoWcraft said:
Talk about custom firmware all you want, people, but if those PSP hack teams aren't going out to rip out the ability to run roms out of their firmwares, then you are support piracy by promoting it.

The method we use to run UMD ISOs we rip ourselves is an official Sony loader.

Oh it's such a HORRIBLE thing to make our games we own RUN BETTER.

Jaeyden

Jtwo said:
I just can't believe Piracy is the problem.
How many people have custom firmware? Maybe 10% of the PsPopulation?

Maybe. Maybe a bit more. What's unfortunate is that the CFW enthusiasts get lumped in with the pirates. Yes it takes CFW to run pirated software, but not all CFW users are pirates.

This my own take on the matter. I agree, I don't think the software sales can be chalked up to piracy alone.

There are a lot of factors that effect why people buy/don't buy PSP games. Here are a few.

1. Quality of titles - Up until now there just haven't been a lot of amazing PSP games. I think it will be very interesting to see the GOW and Patapon sales data for this month, followed by Crisis Core next.

2. Perceived value - The $40 price point is perceived as too high for portable games. Once again..will be interesting to see where Patapon goes with this. The secondary/used market also plays into this area.

3. Lead platform/budget - PSP only owners have a higher software attach rate than people who own multiple platforms. Good months for PS3/360/Wii can effect hand held software sales. If I have to choose where my monthly $60 dollars goes...it's going towards the bigger better experience (PS3) not PSP. I'm getting GOW and Patapon...but if there was a great PS3 title this month I wouldn't be.

4. Hardware functionality -just like the PS3 as a "standalone Blu-ray player" the PSP can appeal to non-gamers also because of it's functionality. MP3's - Movies - internet- photos - video streaming - messaging and more. I suspect that a fair portion of PSP owners, like PS3 owners, didn't buy it for games. Sony has specifically marketed both these systems to non-gamers. The "Trojan horse" can help your hardware sales, but it'll do little to nothing for software.

5. Piracy - Yes this is a big factor. But it's not the whole picture. The DS has been cracked, but it still sells software like there is no tomorrow.

Danj

Dragona Akehi said:
Actually it doesn't work for macs. I have one, and I have to use PrometeusPro in addition to DaxDumper. When you try and hook it up via USB the mac says it's an "unreadable volume". I think what needs to be done is for someone to write a driver for OSX...

Oh.. I stand corrected then, I was under the impression that it was a standard mass storage device that was emulated.

Danj said:
Oh.. I stand corrected then, I was under the impression that it was a standard mass storage device that was emulated.

It's D_A's one "failing", but how could he know? He's a Windows Dev. It's one of the many reasons I keep my Phat around. Hopefully Time Machine will get working loverly soon.

"So are we allowed to post methods and link sellers that can help store "DS roms" into SD flash cards because it's legit if you own the games? A thread that says "I own the Neo Geo game of Magician Lord, please help me find the rom because I want to play it on computer." is allowed because it is 'legit'?

You, Mr. Pirate, are a liar"

You are arguing two different things now. How is downloading a rom for a game for neo geo you have and want to play on your computer the same as taking a psp game you own and playing it on a psp?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't trying to lump CFW users with the pirates, I was just stating that you have to have CFW to pirate.

ethelred said:
Sure. Without torrent technology, piracy would be harder. In fact, without the internet itself piracy would be really difficult! That isn't an indictment on any of these things, though. That legitimate applications can be used toward unethical ends doesn't mean we should cut those out.

Custom firmware is legit.

I don't mean seems legit, as in if you have custom firmware someone's going to knock down your door. More as in, you ask about CFW on a board like GAF, and there's no question about how the person asking is going to use it.

While I don't use it myself (mostly just laziness when it comes to fiddling with technology), I understand the appeal of it and why people use it.

WoWcraft

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
The method we use to run UMD ISOs we rip ourselves is an official Sony loader.

Oh it's such a HORRIBLE thing to make our games we own RUN BETTER.
Yeah, allowing 99% of other custom firmware users be able to play the game for free is pretty horrible.

Thanks for snatching another million of dollars, per release, from Sony because you wanted to run your game a second faster.

kassatsu said:
45k Powered Up
53.4k Maverick

This is the number of downloads of the .torrent file from a certain tracker. (US release rips only)

:(

Probably double the games actual sales.

DarkMehm said:
NMH: 31,412

>: What the fuck!?

The more I read through JUST the first page the more angry I get. If you enjoy the industry's products why cripple the company's that make games you enjoy by stealing from them? You wouldn't knee cap a stranger in the the street and steal the sandwhich they were about to eat.

MoxManiac

ethelred said:
That was my read, too. "I've downloaded torrents for many of the PSP games I own" isn't the same as "Many of the torrents I've downloaded are PSP games I own."

I don't see why you'd have to do that though. Custom firmware has a built in dump to stick from umd option. You don't need to download anything to play your games legitimately off a mem stick.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WoWcraft said:
Yeah, allowing 99% of other custom firmware users be able to play the game for free is pretty horrible.

Thanks for snatching another million of dollars, per release, from Sony because you wanted to run your game a second faster.

*leaves thread*

*slams door*

*can be seen flipping you off out the window*

WoWcraft said:

Uh huh. Well we should prolly take away your Internet, since 99% of all the people online are pirating SOMETHING.

oneHeero

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

tons of times I go on Craigslist(CL) and see games for sale, brand new. Just wondered how they were counted.

Say that these games on CL are stolen games from their work(Sears/Toys R Us/etc) do they count as sales if they are missing? I mean the store already paid for the games in ordering them right?

Say Sears buys 10 copies of Uncharted, 1 is stolen and sold on CL by a employee. The other 9 sold regularly.
Is that +10 to NPD or +9 since one is stolen? I wondered if its considered a sale since Sears would have already bought the 10 copies and they are selling them now.

Confusing, I know, but being a budget gamer, I want to buy some of these new games on CL for 30-45 bucks but would rather buy in store if it doesnt help the dev.

"Yeah, allowing 99% of other custom firmware users be able to play the game for free is pretty horrible.

Thanks for snatching another million of dollars, per release, from Sony because you wanted to run your game a second faster."

Wow, you have to be kidding. So now 99% of all CFW are pirates? I'd love to see where you get your statistics from. And if she's ripping her own games how did she personally snatch millions of millions of dollars per release? She puts it on her own system where did she say after ripping it she uploads it for all to download?

"tons of times I go on Craigslist(CL) and see games for sale, brand new. Just wondered how they were counted.

Say that these games on CL are stolen games from their work(Sears/Toys R Us/etc) do they count as sales if they are missing? I mean the store already paid for the games in ordering them right?

Say Sears buys 10 copies of Uncharted, 1 is stolen and sold on CL by a employee. The other 9 sold regularly.
Is that +10 to NPD or +9 since one is stolen? I wondered if its considered a sale since Sears would have already bought the 10 copies and they are selling them now.

Confusing, I know, but being a budget gamer, I want to buy some of these new games on CL for 30-45 bucks but would rather buy in store if it doesnt help the dev."

I would think it would count as a sale for the dev but just counted as part of the shrinkage for the store. It's not like they can return the unsold game that the store lost for money so I'm assuming the dev keeps the money they were initially paid for said game. I could be completely off but that's what I would assume at least. If they don't have a product to return through the store's own fault, I don't see how the dev can be expected to cough up the tab.

ethelred

WoWcraft said:
You, Mr. Pirate, are a liar.

dKcHWYEqV.jpg

MoxManiac said:
I don't see why you'd have to do that though. Custom firmware has a built in dump to stick from umd option. You don't need to download anything to play your games legitimately off a mem stick.

Well, he said in his next post that he wasn't aware of a more hassle free way of doing that on a Mac.

I still think you guys are over estimating piracy on PSP, while I agree it's probably more damaging than other platforms, I think it's being MASSIVELY over stated on GAF, and anecdotal stuff like this isn't really helping clear up the picture.

Also, OMG, Ethel posted pics!! Dragona post your setup too, alway wanted to see it!!!

FiOSGuy

Collateral Damage Tag :P
Ya know -- this gets me. I posted a thread about getting Williams Pinball Hall of Fame ..
I log in today and I have a PM ...

I will not post the users name but here is the message that was sent to me...

well, not sure if we get this in europe one day...

than, can you rip it to get the ISO/CSO ?

if you wont, no prob, i can understand of course

++

I just can't believe it has become this mainstream (and easy to boot) ....
Some nerve though ....

"No one else but me is shameless enough to admit to owning Astonishia Story."

:lol Touché

" WoWcraft
Banned
(Today, 01:07 PM)
Reply | Quote "

:lol :lol :lol

batbeg

Woah, you can just drag and drop ISOs from UMD with CFW? I've never seen the point in CFW but that sounds pretty badass, my interest is completely there now. Will have to see about buying a pandora or something, now.

shuri said:
If I had more time, I would like to run a trace of the posting history of the people in this thread. Grown men who act SURPRISED and SHOCKED that there is piracy happenning right now.I bet that 75% of people in this thread have posts in the OT talking about pirating animes, mp3s and movies.

I'm pretty sure talking about those things is bannable, though not positive. For example, it's okay to download anime, but not when it's licensed. For example, I've not yet seen Gurren-Lagann because it's been licensed (though some asshole decided to randomly go "LAWL THIS GUY DIES" and ruin that for me... fucktard).

EDIT: YES, WoWcraft banned. Thank you Jesus (/Dragona).

batbeg said:
Woah, you can just drag and drop ISOs from UMD with CFW? I've never seen the point in CFW but that sounds pretty badass, my interest is completely there now. Will have to see about buying a pandora or something, now.

See that's the thing, for legit CFW users, it makes an excellent system even better, which is why I'm so ardently pro-CFW, and get so pissed when people say CFW is "just for pirates". After I put CFW on my system my games library exploded.

Plus the added benefits of ripping your own non-PSN release PSX games and playing them on the go.

batbeg

Is ripping PSX games easy, though? If so, that's a double-awesome of epic proportions. I thought it was so much more complicated.

batbeg said:
Is ripping PSX games easy, though? If so, that's a double-awesome of epic proportions. I thought it was so much more complicated.

Are you on Windows or Mac? Regardless, there are programs for each. You simply put your disc in, let it rip, and then the program converts it into an EBOOT for you. It's actually MUCH easier to do it "legitimately" because the programs won't take any old ISO file. I remember when some idiot came into the CFW thread crying because it wouldn't take .img files and he got banned when he said he didn't have the physical disc.

-1 for piraters there.

ibu

I will never download a PSP game illegally... I have around 12 games and I don't condone piracy. However I have patched a Winning Eleven game before... but I do own the originals.

backing up your games... that is fine in my book, as you want to protect your goods but not buying the originals and supporting the creators... you are scum in my book. SCUM

wazoo

Jaeyden said:
1. Quality of titles - Up until now there just haven't been a lot of amazing PSP games. I think it will be very interesting to see the GOW and Patapon sales data for this month, followed by Crisis Core next.

sales have never been related with quality. You can argue that lack of marketing push is more a problem and impact sales, but quality ??

2. Perceived value - The $40 price point is perceived as too high for portable games. Once again..will be interesting to see where Patapon goes with this. The secondary/used market also plays into this area.

Platinium titles are plenty on PSP. In fact, PSP gaming is cheaper than even the DS. Of course, new games are expensive but not so much / DS and goes down quite fast.

3. Lead platform/budget - PSP only owners have a higher software attach rate than people who own multiple platforms. Good months for PS3/360/Wii can effect hand held software sales. If I have to choose where my monthly $60 dollars goes...it's going towards the bigger better experience (PS3) not PSP. I'm getting GOW and Patapon...but if there was a great PS3 title this month I wouldn't be.

but, ps3 has no games ... just kidding. I think this is always a problem, but for all platforms, you could even argue that in Japan, console gaming suffers from handheld predominance, but still PSP software is low there.

4. Hardware functionality -just like the PS3 as a "standalone Blu-ray player" the PSP can appeal to non-gamers also because of it's functionality. MP3's - Movies - internet- photos - video streaming - messaging and more. I suspect that a fair portion of PSP owners, like PS3 owners, didn't buy it for games. Sony has specifically marketed both these systems to non-gamers. The "Trojan horse" can help your hardware sales, but it'll do little to nothing for software.

This alone can not explain the dysmal sales.

5. Piracy - Yes this is a big factor. But it's not the whole picture. The DS has been cracked, but it still sells software like there is no tomorrow.

DS is much more casual, and the userbase is twice as big.

Top Bottom