• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of NeoGAF [Update: Part 3 - $$$] (VG247)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
NeoGAF is #7 in posts per week despite having closed registration. It gets more traffic than most of the forums in the top 25, easily. Biggest English language gaming forum now (maybe unless you want to count Reddit; I have no way of comparing /r/gaming + the game specific subreddits accurately to a traditional forum).

NeoGAF is #7 in posts per week despite having closed registration. It gets more traffic than most of the forums in the top 25, easily. Biggest English language gaming forum now (maybe unless you want to count Reddit; I have no way of comparing /r/gaming + the game specific subreddits accurately to a traditional forum).
Hmm Interesting.

Stuart444

I forgot to come back with my reply to the above yesterday, but yes - as is now obvious, two is now up, and the third and final, which is my personal favourite, goes up tomorrow. Here's part one, if you missed it.

Thanks for the reply and great part 2. I remember the ME3 incident well. Wasn't around for the other two (Bell and Dyack) incidents but was good reading about them (again).

Looking forward to part 3.

I like Gaf, It's hardly elitist or a secret club. If you think Gaf is elitist you have to see SA or /v/ where any difference of opinion is shunned.

artist

Banned
He’s (Evilore) currently a Dota-loving PC-focused gamer who admits the only Xbox 360 games he owns are Dance Central titles.
denzelcanty1s3j.gif

PC gamer here

Shahed

These are pretty good. Being a relatively new member, some of the references fly over my head, but it's still nice to read them. Looking forward to Part 3!

Corto

Wonderful read. Part 1 was incredible, learning of the humble beginnings and whatnot. Are there any members from that time still active here? Other than Evilore and Bishoptl of course.

what happened to the ads

Nice eye! hehehe It's understandable though that VG247 wouldn't want to give free ad space on a screenshot.

iNvid02

ever wonder why gaf is always going down?

its because evilore is busy playing pc games on the 64 core 160GB RAM server

Corto

About the moderator team, I wonder who these outcasts from certain communities are? ;)

Some are game developers themselves, while others are particular pariahs of certain communities with close ties to the companies behind those games.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Even after his banning, Dyack maintained his point had been made. “NeoGAF is considered to be the worst, and I would say is probably the worst forum,” he told VG247 in 2008. “And so, you might as well pick the worst one. Why not?”

Compelling argument there.

Nice article.

I too was pissed with the mass effect 3 leak repercutions but i totally understands.

The "Maxis PR" one was funny , anyway ... i remember Detective GAF working and most of the events since i've seen them LIVE.

I'm actually glad the moderation Team is reading most of the posts.

(never underestimate DETECTIVE GAF)

sohois

Including 4chan? I would have thought their /v board would be bigger than gaf, not that I've ever looked into the matter myself.

Wow I actually started lurking not too long after it started picking up.
Damn, 2006 feels like yesterday and yet it slowly is closing on a decade old.

I hope the megaton thread of Brawl will be mentioned off-hand at least ; good memories.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Including 4chan? I would have thought their /v board would be bigger than gaf, not that I've ever looked into the matter myself.

Looking at 60 second snapshots, /v/ had 11 new posts by my count, and Gaming Discussion on NeoGAF had 25 new posts in the same window. *shrug*

Orayn

Really loving part 2. It's a little morbid, but it makes me appreciate this site's combination of inquisitiveness and influence. It's like... Welcome to NeoGAF, where you're free to post as someone who works in the industry, but overstepping the bounds will be met with great and terrible retaliation. We're not all anarchy, all the time of course, but it's nice that we have a reputation as being anything but pushovers.

Looking at 60 second snapshots, /v/ had 11 new posts by my count, and Gaming Discussion on NeoGAF had 25 new posts in the same window. *shrug*

Largely anonymous imageboards are hard to compare to forums anyway, since 4chan generally doesn't make board specific information available about unique users, concurrent users, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the Dyack thing is dumb. people with inflated egos don't like being taken down a peg with reasoned argument and logic. Tough shit.

Yes this place has its fair share of tit for tat arguments, and people throwing snarky replies in etc. But it also has way more than its fair share of good discussion and great threads. You just need your GAF glasses on to filter through the shit, just like you would when reading any website or newspaper.

Malka himself comes across as smart and incredibly informed individual. Running GAF full-time means that he lives and really immerses himself in the industry, and listening to him explain where he feels coming years may lead is interesting. He’s currently a Dota-loving PC-focused gamer who admits the only Xbox 360 games he owns are Dance Central titles.

Evilore...

ixbd84vtwbtiN.gif

massoluk

Banned
About 2nd part:

a) Wasn't the problem with Bell scandal about a Mod publicly disclosing that the account owner was in fact Bell? No talk of that in the article.

b) I kinda wish the article touch on "No scan" policy and the NPD numbers arrangement (when all was milk and honey) in this section, since this is about leak and law.

GAF is not a lake.

It's an ocean.

Great articles by the way. Looking forward to part 3.

:)

And yeah, great article. The reactions NeoGAF gets from certain quarters is strange. We're the place where the desire for good discussion over powers the desire for endless praise and fanboyary intermingled with trolling.

that's protected with an iron fist, to a degree, sure. but if it wasn't what NeoGAF offers wouldn't be avaliable elsewhere, and the alternative is available from nameagamingwebsitesforums.

this is a place where facts hold weight, but personal insults aren't allowed. that's a place I can feel comfortable, certainly.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Huh. Cool stuff about all the Dev-side scandals and such, was interesting to get a bit more info on Bell.

If you’re a community manager acting in an official capacity, you’re labelled as such, you’re not allowed to start new discussion threads about anything to do with what you’re representing, you’re not allowed to copy-and-paste PR material or anything like that. You’re not allowed to do any sort of direct promotional action. You’re allowed to interface with the community, answer questions, clarify things, help people out with any of their issues. Anything along those lines is fine.

So out of curiosity, does this mean that someone, say, Jstevenson or possibly Jschrier (not sure if the rule is the same for journos) aren't allowed/ are discouraged from posting new threads and such, and have to wait to see if the 'interest' is there by a random poster making the thread before commenting?

I could swear I've seen threads started by CMs and the like in the past (not by either of the two I mentioned), but not recently, so I suppose that makes sense.

Teknoman

Huh. Cool stuff about all the Dev-side scandals and such, was interesting to get a bit more info on Bell.

So out of curiosity, does this mean that someone, say, Jstevenson or possibly Jschrier (not sure if the rule is the same for journos) aren't allowed/ are discouraged from posting new threads and such, and have to wait to see if the 'interest' is there by a random poster making the thread before commenting?

I could swear I've seen threads started by CMs and the like in the past (not by either of the two I mentioned), but not recently, so I suppose that makes sense.

I think they can start threads, just not threads involving something they might have touched on?

Top Bottom