• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Official Thread

Ledsen

Grifter said:
you guys need some sf honor, like we had back in nyc. if you throw, it better be an accident and you let them throw you back (watch ya ass!). throws weren't meant to confuse blocking. if your 1 move is winning, show some variety, you know, like in a real fight.

basically, treat people the way you'd want to be treated while video fighting.

Beardz said:

toneroni said:
Thats what i'm talking about.

:lol

So awesome!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
MoxManiac said:
You do what's necessary to win. Not to say spamming a given move is necessarily the best path to victory, but if an opponent is struggling to counter it, it makes sense to use it until it stops working (i.e the opponent learns to deal with it). Capitalizing on an opponent's weakness after discovering it is basic strategy 101.

But he was saying that people that are susceptible to throws over and over are essentially scrubs so it follows that it wouldn't really be an issue to whip their ass in more interesting ways. I'm sure there are plenty other weaknesses to exploit that aren't as repetitive. That's all I'm saying, really. I don't play online nearly as much as many of you here--I've got like 200 matches total overall maybe--but even playing half of those in such a manner would drive me mad.

Now, sure, being a T.Hawk player may make me a big hypocrite when it comes to matters involving throws but let's ignore all that and instead focus on this very valid point that we will continue to discuss till the end of Street Fighter time:

Throws suck. No they don't. Well, they suck a little. Sometimes, but not for 'Zief or T.Hawk.

MoxManiac

bob_arctor said:
But he was saying that people that are susceptible to throws over and over are essentially scrubs so it follows that it wouldn't really be an issue to whip their ass in more interesting ways. I'm sure there are plenty other weaknesses to exploit that aren't as repetitive. That's all I'm saying, really. I don't play online nearly as much as many of you here--I've got like 200 matches total overall maybe--but even playing half of those in such a manner would drive me mad.

Now, sure, being a T.Hawk player may make me a big hypocrite when it comes to matters involving throws but let's ignore all that and instead focus on this very valid point that we will continue to discuss till the end of Street Fighter time:

Throws suck. No they don't. Well, they suck a little. Sometimes, but not for 'Zief of T.Hawk.

That's a valid point, and i'm sure the reasons vary from person to person. Some people might just want to get the match over with quickly and move on to the next person. Another might not want to fall into bad habits when playing (for example, sometimes i'll get too comfortable doing meaty or tick shinanigans against opponents that can't reversal consistently, and can end up being dangerous to me when I do run into people that can)

PhatSaqs

Banned
bob_arctor said:

Throws suck. No they don't. Well, they suck a little. Sometimes, but not for 'Zief or T.Hawk.
Anyone saying throws suck cant and wont be taken seriously by anyone who's heavy into fighters.

I think every arcade went through this at one time only to have their culture changed by one of its members attending a major tourney and then returning with new found knowledge....

I get frustrated when someone spams a move on me that screws me up.. people do it all the time..

Does it annoy me ? Yes.

Is it smart on their part? Yes.

I have issues countering jumping attacks and if I play a Sagat they usually just attack me with Jumping FK and FK Sweeps and I get schooled.

I'm horrible with countering those :(

Beardz

TurtleSnatcher said:
I get frustrated when someone spams a move on me that screws me up.. people do it all the time..

Does it annoy me ? Yes.

Is it smart on their part? Yes.

I have issues countering jumping attacks and if I play a Sagat they usually just attack me with Jumping FK and FK Sweeps and I get schooled.

I'm horrible with countering those :(

Throw less 'tigers' and use more tiger knees :p

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I like it when people do things to me over and over again that I have trouble countering. What better way to learn how to deal with those situations?

There is no "cheap" in SF2, only whiners.

PSGames

Hey guys how do I stop a Vega player with Ryu? What moves should I use to best counter his air suplex and air strike? I've tried the dragon punch without much success.

Beardz said:
Throw less 'tigers' and use more tiger knees :p
Um.. I'm not Sagat.. I said people who play Sagat does the jump kicks and sweeps to me.

PSGames said:
Hey guys how do I stop a Vega player with Ryu? What moves should I use to best counter his air suplex and air strike? I've tried the dragon punch without much success.

Time DP's well (Do a Jab DP) or just do a fierce or round house..

The only down side to that method is that they can claw from a distance and hit you by a smidge then.

Izuna drops are pretty easy to avoid.

Also jumping alot while kicking helps.. or in Ryu's case.. Medium punch while jumping and air comboing. Ryu and Ken are probably some of the worst matchups for Vega. Guile and Blanka are also up there.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Ahh... the fresh smell of burnt noobs. Nothing brings me more pleasure. I see people break down mentally all the time in matches. They can't get out of a fireball trap, so they just stop blocking. They get so mad at throw loops that they start doing stupid shit to 'make me pay' in the following rounds. I love the angry comments over headset and the fanmail I receive via Xbox Live messages. I keep an updated notepad document on my PC of all my hate mail, which I will someday include in my SF Memoirs, to be published at a later date.

That's the best part of a fighting game to me - seeing the reaction you can get out of people, whether its anger, mental defeat, frustration, etc. You don't find that level of satisfaction in a conventional single player game. What's better than seeing someone self-destruct? Nothing, I say... nothing.

AZ Greg

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ryu and Ken are probably some of the worst matchups for Vega. Guile and Blanka are also up there.

Vega (Claw) is actually one of Guile's worst matchups. That matchup is in favor of Vega (Claw) like 7-3.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think the problem people have with throws is that it takes multiple times more skill to reliably reversal than it does to than it does to do most of the tick throw patterns. You have to do it in 1 frame, whereas some of the tick throw patterns are super super easy. I don't think it's fair to call people "scrubs" because they don't have multiple time more talent than their opponent who is using easy and cheap tactics. This is an imbalance in the mechanics of the game itself, and none of the replies have really addressed this.

"you're a scrub."

and

"get better at the game."

-do not even attempt to address the issue. This puts the novice and early intermediate player in a position of either using cheap, easy, and unfun tactics in order to win against tick throwers(using their own methods against them), or consistently losing to a player who may not be as skilled. Just because something is a part of the game the is good, doesn't mean that it is a good design choice or is somehow above critique. Just because you have enough time invested/time to invest in the game to get good enough to get past these issues does not mean they are not legitimate issues for lower level players.

PSGames said:

less Hadokens, allot less Hadoken. Use it to pin him down during long range knock downs or when you are doing footsies but do not try to trap him with it, it won't work.
Vega's jumping MP has insane reach.

bait his Flip-Kick.. step outside of throw range so he that Vega does not wake-up with a throw.
Taunt him with jibby jabby shorts to force him to Flip-Kick and completely whiff.

If Vega is pokey, try to time a jab Dragon Punch so you punch his poke.

Mix it up allot, if you are going for a cross-up, make sure you do not miss your cross-up, he will throw you.

you jumping MP juggle is great if you can anticipate to snuff a wall dive

MoxManiac

Timedog said:
I think the problem people have with throws is that it takes multiple times more skill to reliably reversal than it does to than it does to do most of the tick throw patterns. You have to do it in 1 frame, whereas some of the tick throw patterns are super super easy. I don't think it's fair to call people "scrubs" because they don't have multiple time more talent than their opponent who is using easy and cheap tactics. This is an imbalance in the mechanics of the game itself, and none of the replies have really addressed this.

"you're a scrub."

and

"get better at the game."

-do not even attempt to address the issue. This puts the novice and early intermediate player in a position of either using cheap, easy, and unfun tactics in order to win against tick throwers(using their own methods against them), or consistently losing to a player who may not be as skilled. Just because something is a part of the game the is good, doesn't mean that it is a good design choice or is somehow above critique. Just because you have enough time invested/time to invest in the game to get good enough to get past these issues does not mean they are not legitimate issues for lower level players.

The only time you have a 1/60th of a chance to reverse a tick throw is if the tick thrower timed his throw perfectly, i.e. on the exact 1/60th of a second the victim comes out of blockstun, which I think makes it more even in terms of execution. In reality, i'd assume a lot of people who tick throw do so more sloppily, giving a larger window to reverse than you'd think.

ST is 13 years old. If the throw system was an issue, or hampered the game, Sirlin would have changed it in HD Remix. He didn't. It's not bad design. It doesn't ruin the game.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
MoxManiac said:
The only time you have a 1/60th of a chance to reverse a tick throw is if the tick thrower timed his throw perfectly, i.e. on the exact 1/60th of a second the victim comes out of blockstun, which I think makes it more even in terms of execution. In reality, i'd assume a lot of people who tick throw do so more sloppily, giving a larger window to reverse than you'd think.

ST is 13 years old. If the throw system was an issue, or hampered the game, Sirlin would have changed it in HD Remix. He didn't. It's not bad design. It doesn't ruin the game.

I stand corrected. I was working under that assumption, and have just tried counter throwing and hoping that my throw randomly wins while I practice reversals.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Eggo said:
That's the best part of a fighting game to me - seeing the reaction you can get out of people, whether its anger, mental defeat, frustration, etc. You don't find that level of satisfaction in a conventional single player game. What's better than seeing someone self-destruct? Nothing, I say... nothing.

Are you describing yourself after those Cammy vids you posted? ;-)

CPS2

Timedog said:

You're 100% correct. Softening the throw is easier, but it doesn't work against a lot of stuff.

I don't rage from fighting games because I've taken 40 and 50 game loss streaks against much better players. It's exactly like Lost Fragment says, when they continually use the same setup, they're training you. If you play enough games with them you figure out how to deal with their setups, then you start winning. There's no way to get better without going through this at some point. Luckily we have the internet and many people will flat out tell you what beats what if you ask.

edit: I should also point out that fireball traps are easier than getting out of fireball traps as well. The engine isn't really imbalanced, it's just encouraging you to be aggressive because it doesn't favour turtles. Some games do, this one doesn't.

MoxManiac

Timedog said:
I stand corrected. I was working under that assumption, and have just tried counter throwing and hoping that my throw randomly wins while I practice reversals.

Wanted to mention something else..be careful about throw ranges when trying to counter-throw..they can vary from character to character. Blanka has a ridiculous range on his blanka bite (i think the range is like 90 or something, compared to say, 77 for Ryu's throw) so if you try to counter one of his tick-bites with a throw, it likely will fail since he can get in range to throw you before you can throw him.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm not a horrible player, I've won about 2/3's of my matches in ranked, despite losing the first 20 or so in a row (that'll teach me to go directly into ranked after buying it without even having played the game before). But I ran into a player in player matches who beat me like 15 times in a row with a tick pattern, then I asked him to play one match without doing that and I floored him easily and then left the room. I wasn't mad that his tactic was so effective against me, but that there was a disproportionate amount of skill involved for me to counter it. I think part of it has to do with the fucking 360 dpad though.

What's the consensus on the madcat SF4 controllers? I think i'll order one right now if they're good.

Beardz

Some times in order to avoid being 'chip throwed' instead of blocking, you can try to jump, you are going to get hit, but -maybe- you are going to have more space to continue the fight.

AZ Greg said:
Vega (Claw) is actually one of Guile's worst matchups. That matchup is in favor of Vega (Claw) like 7-3.
Really? I get flashed kicked to death.

I can poke with crouch MP and do the occasional slide but he can jump in and jack me up if I'm not careful.. I can't roll well into him either since he can flash kick me out and then jumping in at a guile is tough because he can jump as well and catch me mid air with a back breaker or flash kick me again :(

Grifter said:
you guys need some sf honor, like we had back in nyc. if you throw, it better be an accident and you let them throw you back (watch ya ass!). throws weren't meant to confuse blocking. if your 1 move is winning, show some variety, you know, like in a real fight.

basically, treat people the way you'd want to be treated while video fighting.

That is how my arcades were also. I threw a guy one time and he looked at me like I punched him in his face or something. :lol

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
My favorite move was punching my opponent in the stomach and then defeating his character while he's on the floor grimacing. Some people called it "cheap", but I told them to suck it up, scrub. If you know I'm going to punch you, why do you let me do it over and over?

MoxManiac said:

I don't think throwing was an issue because most people really didn't rely on them back then. Didn't Alpha 3 changed the throw system to two buttons or something? Like i said, I do not care what you do to me and I will congratulate you on defeating me even if I feel that you use despicable tactics. I will just come back at you much more aggressively and find a way to win even if I having to resort to dirty tactics. I was simply saying, that IMO, it can take the fun out of the matches and that is not the way I like to play this game.

Also, don't shoot the messenger, but why is there an achievement that says: Throwing is cheap? Why would the developers even put that there? They made this game, so are the developers dropping hints or making fun of complainers? Zangief and T Hawk are grapplers, so throwing is a big part of their arsenal.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/super-street-fighter-2-turbo-hd-remix/achievements/

PhatSaqs

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
Also, don't shoot the messenger, but why is there an achievement that says: Throwing is cheap? Why would the developers even put that there? They made this game, so are the developers dropping hints or making fun of complainers? Zangief and T Hawk are grapplers, so throwing is a big part of their arsenal.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/super-street-fighter-2-turbo-hd-remix/achievements/
Dude the game was remixed by a tourney player. Do the math.

CPS2

Rhazer Fusion said:

Please read this... http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

It was by the designer of HDR, and I think you'd find it fascinating (and most likely extremely offensive) considering everything you've recently said. Unless you're trolling.

I'm always amazed when this article perfectly describes a category of player so amazingly well, right down to the bits about honour, skill moves, etc.

Cheap and cheese is part of the game.

Cheese is in the game and it is a weapon to be used.

"Hey Gutter!! You do Oicho Ticks and you throw whenever you have the chance!!!"

Yes I do, I have cheese in my arsenal

UC1 said:

It was by the designer of HDR, and I think you'd find it fascinating (and most likely extremely offensive) considering everything you've recently said. Unless you're trolling.

I'm always amazed when this article perfectly describes a category of player so amazingly well, right down to the bits about honour, skill moves, etc.

I see. I read the part about the throwing. :lol Interesting. I think it is now time to change my technique and strategies.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
TurtleSnatcher said:
Really? I get flashed kicked to death.

I can poke with crouch MP and do the occasional slide but he can jump in and jack me up if I'm not careful.. I can't roll well into him either since he can flash kick me out and then jumping in at a guile is tough because he can jump as well and catch me mid air with a back breaker or flash kick me again :(

as a guile player i almost hate to tell you this, but claw can throw his slide and (i think) cr mp at guile all day, and as long as you don't fall into a predictable rhythm, it's very difficult to counter. claws who do lots of flashkickable dives and rolls are easy enough to beat, but claws who stick to safe normals can be a nightmare

Morph-0

I'm sorry I have to agree tick throwing is definitely cheap infact the whole throw mechanic in SSF2T HD is broken (too easy to perform throws with out intention) why else did they change it for all subsequent SF's unfortunately even though changes were made to try & balance the characters it seems as though Backbone were to afraid to tamper with the system in fear of it no longer feeling like Super Turbo. When I was growing up it used to be the norm at my local arcade that players agreed not to tick throw each other because it was seen as a dishonourable way of achieving victory, of course I understand what Sirlin says about doing what ever you need to to achieve victory but tick throw loops are far too easily exploited and demonstrate very little in terms of player skill. Games are about balance if its easy to execute a certain tactic a means of countering it should be of similar difficulty. A throw in any fighter is a means of catching your opponent out every now & then it shouldn't be the case that a player can base his/her whole fighting strategy using only a throw while standing a damn good chance of winning.

Why should one have to use a piano technique to reverse a throw when the initial basic throw was only a simple execution.

Yes a pro can get out of them most of time but that's not the point you shouldn't have to work much harder to escape something that is piss poor to execute hence the reason people abuse them.

CPS2

At my arcade we had a ritual where if you lose a match you have to star in home made gay porn. All players should adopt this imo.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I don't mind throwing. I'm just baffled at the out of this world throws. Like for instance, Ken tripped Bison with a roundhouse and you see the beginning of the animation but somehow Bison manages to throw him.

Kadey said:
I don't mind throwing. I'm just baffled at the out of this world throws. Like for instance, Ken tripped Bison with a roundhouse and you see the beginning of the animation but somehow Bison manages to throw him.

That sounds like rollback which is one bad thing about online play.

Also, I tick throw all the time locally and online. I love it. They see me tick throoowin'...

MoxManiac

Kadey said:

What galactic said could be true, but it could also be that bison threw ken before the frame with the red (hittable) hitbox came up (on the roundhouse). Throws are instant, they connect on frame 0, so it's possible to throw someone before the hittable part of their move comes up.

And example is Guile's C.MP. It can't hit until frame 8, that is, the red hitbox doesn't appear until 8 frames into the move. So during frames 1 through 7, Guile is vulnerable to being thrown.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yes, but Bison is already tripped at the point where the throw immediately happens. Sort of like the example I gave back about Cammy air throwing an air hurricane kick.

With the Fight Pad, I am better. I consider myself a little above average, nowhere near tourney. I ran this guy a couple of times tonight in ranked matches and beating him every time to the point where he sent me this message. :lol

351h45d.jpg

CPS2

I got almost the exact same message from the same dude :lol

Mine just said "what a jerk lol" and then he gave me negative feedback for sportsmanship.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
tick throw bullshit is part of the fun of super turbo, but man, it must be a bitch to deal with if you're playing bison or somebody. even with ryu i have a hard time with dp reversals -- sometimes i can't get them off, sometimes i get hit out of them

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Morph-0 said:
tick throw loops are far too easily exploited and demonstrate very little in terms of player skill.

This is where you're wrong. If you can beat a tournament-caliber player by throwing them non-stop, that takes a lot of skill. You have to outguess them at every opportunity so you don't get countered. Tournament players will adjust to patterns, so making them guess wrong multiple times in a row is hard to do. Some of the top tournament players rely on pressure like this and it is very skillful.

If you think it's so easy to throw someone to death, play someone good and try to throw them every chance you get. I guarantee you'll lose and get reversed consistently. It's not as easy as you make it out to be. It may be easy to beat up scrubs with this tactic, but almost any tactic works against a scrub.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
UC1 said:

This is all well and good if the game is meant solely for tournament play. If it's meant for the other 99.9% that are scrubs according to him, then his argument lacks merit.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Eggo said:
This is where you're wrong. If you can beat a tournament-caliber player by throwing them non-stop, that takes a lot of skill. You have to outguess them at every opportunity so you don't get countered. Tournament players will adjust to patterns, so making them guess wrong multiple times in a row is hard to do. Some of the top tournament players rely on pressure like this and it is very skillful.

If you think it's so easy to throw someone to death, play someone good and try to throw them every chance you get. I guarantee you'll lose and get reversed consistently. It's not as easy as you make it out to be. It may be easy to beat up scrubs with this tactic, but almost any tactic works against a scrub.

This...

I can't wait to see the bitching when SFIV comes out, and yes, there will be TONS of it.

SCRUBS, COMPLAINERS, AND THE UNSKILLED PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=34747

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=34757

CPS2

Timedog said:
This is all well and good if the game is meant solely for tournament play. If it's meant for the other 99.9% that are scrubs according to him, then his argument lacks merit.

I was mainly linking it to point out that the "throwing is cheap" achievement is a bit of an in-joke.

Personally I do give people a chance, repeating moves, jumping a lot, anything that I think qualifies as training. And I also try to keep it interesting for some players who don't like fighting the same character the whole time. But in ranked matches and tournaments, I tend to stick to one character, and if I play a tourney player, I'm not opposed to having dozens of matches with the same characters. I'd go as far as asking them to do a specific move a few times to see what punishes it, etc.

In general I do agree with Sirlin's article. There's no point in complaining about people who chose not to follow your own made up rules. There's been many justifications for this over the years, for example if throws were banned, then whoever landed the first clean hit could block until the timer ran out. That would be far more boring than tick throws, and yet it fits with the weird scrub rules.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eggo said:

Ok. But how many people here and online are "tournament level", I mean it's great to look at things at the very tippy top apex of player skill, but that only applies to a small small percentage of the people actually playing.

Just making that point, as for throws I have no problems with them at all. Play to win baby.

Xevren

I'm more surprised people have success playing in ranked NOT against Akuma. Played 10 matches before I said fuck it, all against the same fucking character. It just gets so annoying after awhile.

CPS2

Sinatar said:
Ok. But how many people here and online are "tournament level", I mean it's great to look at things at the very tippy top apex of player skill, but that only applies to a small small percentage of the people actually playing.

Just making that point, as for throws I have no problems with them at all. Play to win baby.

(last post by me on this topic =P)

Getting out of throws is fundamental, it should be considered a low-level skill. It's actually amazing that people seem to have made up their own rules that throwing is banned in all these locations, but all it did was prevent them from getting used to a legitimate tactic.

Eggo said "If you can beat a tournament-caliber player by throwing them non-stop, that takes a lot of skill," and your argument is that 99% of people are not at that level. Personally I believe that since it is a low-level skill, it's not 1% of people who know how to deal with it. The vast majority of beginners and all the intermediate players would know how to escape throws. The people who can't deal with it and think people should stop throwing, are not even beginners, they're in a fantasy land where they don't even figure out the basic rules to a game, they prefer to complain about how it should be, without anything to back it up. All this "back in the day this is how we did it in my arcade" nonsense is not a justifiable excuse for making up rules and expecting people to follow. It's scary that people can go a decade without learning the basics.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sinatar said:

I'm not sure what point you're making here. I realize not everyone is tournament level, but the fact remains players can reverse tick throws. It's just a matter of practice and learning how. You don't have to be a tournament player to learn how to get out of simple traps.

If you don't want to put in the time and effort to learn these things, then just accept when you lose to those tactics and don't try to blame it on other things like: the other player being "cheap" or "dishonorable" when the fault is your own for being too lazy to learn how to play the game properly.

I am fully supportive of helping new players get better and learning how to play. Everybody has to start somewhere, and in many ways I am learning to play this game for the first time too. If you look at the Dhalsim thread on SRK, the whole reason I posted these videos is so others can tell me what I'm doing wrong, so I can learn and adjust to become a better player. The difference is I want to learn and improve, not make excuses for my losses.

Had some great matches tonight and altered some of my tactics. I did noticeably better. I will throw you back now if provoked and found a few more ways to counter them. I still got more wins than loses, but I have to get my rating back up.

Top Bottom