• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Official Thread

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Does anyone have both versions? Is the netcode considerably worse on PS3? I currently play the 360 version but may have to switch versions.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sinatar said:
Ok. But how many people here and online are "tournament level", I mean it's great to look at things at the very tippy top apex of player skill, but that only applies to a small small percentage of the people actually playing.

It doesn't matter how many people are "tournament level", that's how the game is played at this moment. I mean, if I wanted to go play StarCraft online I know what to expect, its a bunch of people that have been playing the game for years using the newest tactics and I have a lot of catching up to do if I want to compete.

I'm not quite sure why SSF2T or any other game has to cater to "everyone". Especially an old game, in an online environment. The "trial by fire" against players much much better than you used to be a common ritual in online games. Now it's a bad thing, an FPS has to give you some ultra powerful weapon right off the bat (see CoD4) or people will cry. People will cry if a game is like Quake and has a powerful weapon that can be locked down through map knowledge. On and on.

Yesterday I was playing against an old friend and he beat me I think 28 out of 30 times in HDR. That's how it goes.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Kinda lttp with this I guess.

xmvf6g.jpg

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
diffusionx said:
It doesn't matter how many people are "tournament level", that's how the game is played at this moment. I mean, if I wanted to go play StarCraft online I know what to expect, its a bunch of people that have been playing the game for years using the newest tactics and I have a lot of catching up to do if I want to compete.

I'm not quite sure why SSF2T or any other game has to cater to "everyone". Especially an old game, in an online environment. The "trial by fire" against players much much better than you used to be a common ritual in online games. Now it's a bad thing, an FPS has to give you some ultra powerful weapon right off the bat (see CoD4) or people will cry. People will cry if a game is like Quake and has a powerful weapon that can be locked down through map knowledge. On and on.

Yesterday I was playing against an old friend and he beat me I think 28 out of 30 times in HDR. That's how it goes.
Some of the tick throw patterns are so easy to execute that they ARE "some ultra powerful weapon" given "right off the bat" in lower level play. In lower level play if you're not using it against someone who is, you're at a big disadvantage. The ultimate conclusion here is two players spamming the same pattern against each other the whole match. People have a right to complain when something that is very easy to do is hard to counter. It's there, and it's not going to magically be changed, but I don't have to like it. You're being obtuse if you think the game is sold as only catering only to the experts or people that have the time to put in to become very good.

For the record I've only fought 2 people online who I thought were cheap. 1 of them was far inferior to me when not allowed to use a single tick throw pattern over and over.

Geezer

Ban4Akuma.

It's remarkable how much I've improved with just a couple of days online play. I can't believe I've played SF games vs. CPU for the last 10+ years.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, i'm close to either quitting playing, or buying that 40 dollar ripoff SFIV pad. I was playing on expert on classic mode and had to face T Hawk at least 10 times, mostly because I couldn't do a damn shoryuken.

Anyone know where I can find character changes from SF2 turbo to Super, and changes from Super to Super Turbo? From my memory of SF2 turbo (15 years ago!), it seems like some of Ryu's shit got nerfed. His crouching roundhouse seems to have a slightly longer recover, and his dragon punch doesn't seem as invincible. Vega did a standing claw and it outprioritied my reversal jab dragon!

CPS2

Timedog said:
Okay, i'm close to either quitting playing, or buying that 40 dollar ripoff SFIV pad. I was playing on expert on classic mode and had to face T Hawk at least 10 times, mostly because I couldn't do a damn shoryuken.

Anyone know where I can find character changes from SF2 turbo to Super, and changes from Super to Super Turbo? From my memory of SF2 turbo (15 years ago!), it seems like some of Ryu's shit got nerfed. His crouching roundhouse seems to have a slightly longer recover, and his dragon punch doesn't seem as invincible. Vega did a standing claw and it outprioritied my reversal jab dragon!

I'd be very surprised if you could beat the 3rd guy on the easiest setting on classic mode, it's damn hard!

edit: if you really want there's some frame data here but it's not even worth playing the computer in classic mode imo.

CPS2

Relix said:
I like the tick guide. Hmm... how can I pull out of a tick with a character like Chun Li or Vega?

If it's a command grab, then you still need a reversal. Chun's got up kicks and Vega has the flip kick. You can do a reversal off any special or super, but those are probably the best for those characters. If they jump at you to set up a tick command throw, you have to anti-air, otherwise there's no way to charge those moves. So if they safe-jump, they can lock her down.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
UC1 said:
I'd be very surprised if you could beat the 3rd guy on the easiest setting on classic mode, it's damn hard!

edit: if you really want there's some frame data here but it's not even worth playing the computer in classic mode imo.
I already beat it on the hardest. Some of the guys took forever, especially because I can't get my dragon punches and supers off when I need to. I tried it because I heard it was harder and the expert hardest in hd remix wasn't very difficult. I didn't think the hardest difficulty in classic was much harder than what I remember of 8 star difficulty in turbo for the sega genesis.

Are supers easier to execute on an arcade stick? I have a feeling even on a good dpad I couldn't combo into super on command.

CPS2

Timedog said:
I already beat it on the hardest. Some of the guys took forever, especially because I can't get my dragon punches and supers off when I need to. I tried it because I heard it was harder and the expert hardest in hd remix wasn't very difficult.

Are supers easier to execute on an arcade stick? I have a feeling even on a good dpad I couldn't combo into super on command.

You MUST be talking about Remix mode, trust me :lol

The easiest setting on Classic is much harder than the hardest setting on Remix.

Sticks all the way imo.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Well if you don't believe me because of my opinion on throws or whatever, that's fine. I know it was classic because i couldn't get ryu's original costume. I've already beaten it in hard mode in remix with few losses. Some of the characters in classic took me 10-15 tries to beat (fucking t hawk, cammy[my first opponent] and vega). Discounting those two each character probably took me an average of 3 maybe 4 times to beat. The only reason I bothered with classic is that it was so hard and Ryu was unchanged in remix other than the fake fireball, so it is good practice with basically the same character.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Any one have tips for Honda against a Guile that runs away, throws sonic booms like hadoukens with timed low forwards and flash kicks to keep me at bay?

CPS2

Timedog said:
Well if you don't believe me because of my opinion on throws or whatever, that's fine. I know it was classic because i couldn't get ryu's original costume. I've already beaten it in hard mode in remix with few losses. Some of the characters in classic took me 10-15 tries to beat (fucking t hawk, cammy[my first opponent] and vega). Discounting those two each character probably took me an average of 3 maybe 4 times to beat. The only reason I bothered with classic is that it was so hard and Ryu was unchanged in remix other than the fake fireball, so it is good practice with basically the same character.

Fair enough man I'll take your word for it. You must be pretty good if you managed to do all that, just seems really weird that you'd complain about throws if you are that good tho :lol

Kadey said:
Any one have tips for Honda against a Guile that runs away, throws sonic booms like hadoukens with timed low forwards and flash kicks to keep me at bay?

I don't use honda, but something worth trying is doing the flying butt when Guile does a sonic boom, the butt should win. That should make him scared of doing booms, and if you're lucky he'll make a mistake with a whiffed flash kick, if that happens, headbutt, and if you're up close, ochio. Then you can pressure him with meaty low jab > ochio and force him to do a reversal, or (when he's knocked down) safe jump in splash, tick ochio, he shouldn't be able to get out of that.

MoxManiac

Kadey said:

Pray the guile player's joystick/pad spontaneously bursts into flames.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
just finished beating it on classic expert again just to make sure I didn't accidentally pick the wrong difficulty level. Anyone else notice some weirdness during crossups sometimes? Like you have to block in teh wrong direction or your character sometimes will do a move in the wrong direction, even if the move was started after the opponent had already switched side? This happened in hyper fighting I remember, but it was completely predictable every time it would happen. When I was fighting bison there was some weird cross up action going on and I was blocking in the correct direction because I was on the left side of him and blocking left, but he still hit me. I think my sprite was facing as if I was on the right side of him though. I can't seem to get a handle on when this crossup weirdness will occur, and i invariably get hit when it happens.

I'm not talking about the normal crossups where you need to block in the opposite direction.

Geezer

I'm so in love with this game since beginning to play it online:D
There's not much that's more satisfying than playing with 'Rog and being on your shred of health against a shoto, he then sends a fireball thinking "lol chip damage win" only to have you time your super such that you go through the fireball and clobber him:lol

I can't believe I was a shoto player for all those years, charge characters are so much fun.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
UC1 said:

Really, it's almost common sense in a way--you can feel that you can special out of stuff like 'Gief's tick (which always makes Hawk/'Gief an epic battle). The biggest hurdle for new players is pulling it off quickly enough and identifying when tick set-ups are beginning.

Geezer said:
I can't believe I was a shoto player for all those years, charge characters are so much fun.

I'm all about grapplers now or people that mix-in some command holds. Hugo, 'Gief, Hawk, Alex and of course, Makoto.

Was practicing with my arcade stick tonight, and got REALLY fed up with the shoto fireball spammers. So I loaded up E-Honda and turned on the TURBO. I made 3 akumas, and 2 ryus quit out!:lol

Revenge felt gooooood.

Am I the only one who doesn't think this game measures up to the original Super Turbo? I just got the 100 win achievement (along with another 150 or so on my ps3 before it broke) and I won't be playing it for a long time now. I don't like the look (the graphics aren't bad but they're more suited for and alpha game rather then the SF II look) and the OC remix music just isn't as good as the original (I set it to original music after about ten matches). Some of the re-balances are kinda cool and others are just meh. This game didn't really need any re-balancing to begin with. Sure it has it's issues but it's still one of the more balanced Street Fighter games. Why don't they re-balance a game that needs it like Third Strike (yeah I know because re-drawing that game would be a nightmare) or Alpha 3? The world may never know.

In short, whenever I'm playing this game all I can think is "Why don't I just play the original on GGPO". Am I the only one that feels this way?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, I'm having a hell of a time reversing Zangief and T Hawk ticks with Cammy. I can beat Akumas until the sun goes down and not feel particularly frustrated, but I always seem to have trouble with Giefs and Hawks. I can just never get the cannon spike motion out quickly enough.

'course, part of this probably has to do with the fact that I'm too poor to invest in a stick.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I now main, in order of "skill":
Chun Li
Honda
Vega

Honda is a monster I've recently learned:lol

Vega on the other hand is difficult, and it's been impossible for me to pull out his super. I just Tiger Claw and the special is never executed. Tips?

Relix said:
Honda is a monster I've recently learned:lol

I was stomping the shit out of shotos all night with honda, I love this fucking arcade stick!

I made 5 Akuma players quit out and several kens and ryus, so funny. Finally got my 100 wins achievement as well. I've got an even win/loss ratio again, before I got the arcade stick I was at around 40 wins/80 losses!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Sinatar said:
So many Akuma's on tonight, fuck me.

That's every night, but only in ranked.

I'm wondering if Evo will ban Akuma in HDR. I don't think they will, but it's possible.

He is broke as a character at high level.

arstal said:
That's every night, but only in ranked.

I'm wondering if Evo will ban Akuma in HDR. I don't think they will, but it's possible.

He is broke as a character at high level.

IMO, Evo should just go with good old ST

HDR is too fucked up IMO

is anyone else getting a shitload of dropped connections on PSN with this game? I hope SF4 isn't like this or I'll have to get my VSHG dual modded.

duffey

There are a lot less Akumas than I thought there'd be tonight (360), but it's late so that might be why.

Finally improved my win loss ratio to the point where I have a winning record. God moving from that shitty pad to a stick has made life so much better.

edit: nevermind five straight akumas. beat 4 out of 5 but fuck. D:

Eggo said:
Why do you lie so? You're breaking my heart with your false promises.

i was up to 14th on the weekly then fought another 0 rank and it took me back down. first i've seen anything other than 0 in months. maybe its working its way thru the system

polyh3dron said:
is anyone else getting a shitload of dropped connections on PSN with this game? I hope SF4 isn't like this or I'll have to get my VSHG dual modded.

I got alot of them a few nights ago and had to restart my system. It did resolve the issue temporarily. The dropped connections started again after a few matches. Then I went into the practice mode and the screen wouldn't load past the vs screen. The background was still moving though and this happened about 3 times. Very strange.

duffey said:
There are a lot less Akumas than I thought there'd be tonight (360), but it's late so that might be why.

Finally improved my win loss ratio to the point where I have a winning record. God moving from that shitty pad to a stick has made life so much better.

edit: nevermind five straight akumas. beat 4 out of 5 but fuck. D:

I hate facing Akuma, even when I beat him. He's annoying as fuck and his ridiculous juggles don't belong in Super Turbo.

NZNova

Is it just me or is the random selection for single player mode in this not overly random? Every day after work I fire it up and and every single time I get (let's see how well my memory works) blanka, cammy, fei long, guile, t hawk, ryu, dee jay, honda.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
After hitting a rough patch that saw me go from +15 w/l ratio to -20 I spent what is likely my final night making things right.

107nst4.jpg

Nice round number to finish things off on. :lol

Top Bottom